Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

Stress And Medical School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stress And Medical School (18490 Views)

I Have Been Withdrawn From Medical School. I Can't Tell My Parents / Olajide Rilwan Lekan Graduates From Russian Medical School With As / Cynthia Chizoba Okoye Graduates As Doctor From Tulane University Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stress And Medical School by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:31am On May 03, 2017
Penboy:

Reading for 13hours is the easiest route for failure in medical school.
You must read Atleast 19-20hours daily if you must remain in medical school.
I will bet my life that there are people who barely study and still make it. Know yourself and apply yourself according to the level of your abilities.

4 Likes

Re: Stress And Medical School by Penboy: 10:51am On May 03, 2017
tensazangetsu20:

I will bet my life that there are people who barely study and still make it. Know yourself and apply yourself according to the level of your abilities.

Hmmm...
Boss, this is medical school.
Barely sturdy??
Re: Stress And Medical School by Ekpekus(m): 1:34pm On May 05, 2017
Penboy:

cheesy grin grin grin nor go give pipo children hypertension o.
The bottom line is "O man know thyself". What worked for others might not work for you.. find out what work for you. I usually advice 2hours everyday.
Re: Stress And Medical School by Ekpekus(m): 1:37pm On May 05, 2017
Penboy:

Hmmm...
Boss, this is medical school.
Barely sturdy??
And so? Medical school does not mean death... Yes hard work and most importantly SMART WORK it is but which one be study 19-20hrs? Even your brain will be fatigued after 4hrs of straight jacking
Re: Stress And Medical School by Penboy: 4:12pm On May 05, 2017
Ekpekus:

cheesy grin grin grin nor go give pipo children hypertension o.
The bottom line is "O man know thyself". What worked for others might not work for you.. find out what work for you. I usually advice 2hours everyday.

Haha...
2 hours everyday?
For real?
Re: Stress And Medical School by Ekpekus(m): 4:27pm On May 05, 2017
Penboy:

Haha...
2 hours everyday?
For real?
Yep, for real
Re: Stress And Medical School by hellohgy(m): 6:15pm On May 05, 2017
Penboy:
Haha... 2 hours everyday? For real?
I find this hard to believe sha
Re: Stress And Medical School by Penboy: 6:33pm On May 05, 2017
hellohgy:

I find this hard to believe sha
Don't mind em jare. One page of "Keith moore'' that can take someone 30mins to assimilate.
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 11:54pm On May 05, 2017
Penboy:

19-20 hours? this is impossible. do you go to classes at all? the only time you can do something close to this is when you have free time to read for boards.

3 Likes

Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 05, 2017
when I first read this I thought Dr Abdulmalik was on NL. that's a brilliant piece. he took a class before. He's certainly a brilliant man no doubt. the last class I enjoyed like that was Prof MT Shokunbi.

1 Like

Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 08, 2017
Rursh Vimma Kingovo Bobola07 Holuwajobar
Check This Out
Re: Stress And Medical School by shegestiga(m): 11:38pm On Jun 08, 2017
Jozprecious:
when I first read this I thought Dr Abdulmalik was on NL. that's a brilliant piece. he took a class before. He's certainly a brilliant man no doubt. the last class I enjoyed like that was Prof MT Shokunbi.

Joseph precious...2K17??
Re: Stress And Medical School by shegestiga(m): 11:43pm On Jun 08, 2017
Dr Jubril Abdulmalik, thank u for this wonderful piece
Thanks for being one of those outstanding consultants/lecturers in UCH
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 09, 2017
shegestiga:

Joseph precious...2K17??
shegestica aye
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2017
Irshittabey:

you are my role model

Honestly? You need and deserve a better one
-student-wise
Good luck!
Re: Stress And Medical School by eban20: 2:19am On Apr 09, 2018
Very wonderful piece..was really interested in the story the moment he mentioned how he left engineering school to pursue his dreams and didn't even tell his folks..Weldon sir

1 Like

Re: Stress And Medical School by Markpretty904: 6:56am On Apr 09, 2018
your dreams can be so difficult for you but through this article you will know more about dreams.

Dreams are the brain’s way of working on important issues, problems or emotions that are leftover from when we’re awake. Because the sleeping mind isn’t constrained by rational thought processes (because this part of the brain is shut down when we sleep), dreams are rich in their potential to offer creative solutions or another slant on something we are dealing with.

The content of dreams is the information that we already have, just organized and sorted through a different, novel, creative way. This often gives rise to different, novel, creative solutions.

If there’s a particular issue you want to apply your sleeping, though very powerful, mind to, see here for a how-to on how to manipulate the content of your dreams (scientifically proven of course!).

UNDERSTANDING YOUR DREAMS
Given that you’re the writer, director, sometimes the star, and always the audience of your own dreams, the aspects of dreams are generally an aspect of some part of you or the your life.

Because dreams are fed by the dreamer’s circumstances, outlook, emotions, struggles, joys, the particular meaning of a dream will differ from dreamer to dreamer.Let’s say, for example, that the dream is one of a birth. This doesn’t mean you’re about to have a baby (though if you’re nine months pregnant it’s not out of the question). Rather, it’s a non-literal, creative representation of something that your brain is working on, something associated with your real life. Is your brain trying to process emotion around and beginning? Of a job? A relationship? Perhaps even a letting go? A moving on? A fresh start?
[url]for more visit[www.wisequoted.info]
Re: Stress And Medical School by yusman14(m): 6:36pm On Mar 30, 2020
See the way people are overhyping MBBS...
Engineering students suffer alot..Imagine having 10 straight hours of lectures per day and you still have to read and do practical, workshop practice....

In my 200L second semester,I offered courses in all engineering department i.e 8 bulky courses..
The smallest textbook out of these courses have (1040 page that was Electronics engineering by Hughes)..That means we finished 8 bulky courses within 3months while MBBS students have solid 1 year for just 3 courses...
To be sincere, this two courses are difficult but Engineering is more demanding..coupled with stress and alot of workshop practice...

I respect doctors alot Sha ..
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 8:22pm On Mar 30, 2020
yusman14:
Engineering students suffer alot..Imagine having 10 straight hours of lectures per day and you still have to read and do practical, workshop practice....

In my 200L second semester,I offered courses in all engineering department i.e 8 bulky courses..
The smallest textbook out of these courses have (1040 page that was Electronics engineering by Hughes)..That means we finished 8 bulky courses within 3months while MBBS students have solid 1 year for just 3 courses...
To be sincere, this two courses are difficult but Engineering is more demanding..coupled with stress and alot of workshop practice...

Oga, it's not competition!

Overhyping you say? Okay let me give you a bit of the stress we go through in med school. In the pre-clinical class yes we study just 3 courses in 18 months. But those courses are not mere courses; they are biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy. And u know Anatomy is like 3 courses in 1:- Gross Anatomy, Embryology and Histology. And the Gross Anatomy has it own sub-sections - Upper and lower limbs, Thorax and Abdomen, Head and Neck, etc. You know normal anatomy and physiology students spend 4 years to study these basic medical science courses. So you can say we use just 18 months to study courses of 4 years.

What about the numerous tests, steeple chase, etc. we write almost every week? And the 2nd MBBS exam we write at the end of the pre-clinical classes. We use just 1 week to write this exam. We write each paper each day. So we use only a night to revise something we did for 1 year.

Not to talk of the viva (oral) part of the exam with the tension, fear, etc. medical students have for it.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg o. There are also 3rd MBBS, 4th MBBS and 5th MBBS exams where you have to write the core clinical courses like O&G, Pediatrics, Medicine, Surgery, etc.
Oga, you can't compare the difficulty of Medicine to that of Engineering. The comparison should be between Medicine and Pharmacy instead.

I have a lot of friends that are Engineering students and Engineers, and I respect them so much.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stress And Medical School by yusman14(m): 8:45pm On Mar 30, 2020
Uniquely:

Oga, it's not competition!

Overhyping you say? Okay let me give you a bit of the stress we go through in med school. In the pre-clinical class yes we study just 3 courses in 18 months. But those courses are not mere courses; they are biochemistry, Physiology and Anatomy. And u know Anatomy is like 3 courses in 1:- Gross Anatomy, Embryology and Histology. And the Gross Anatomy has it own sub-sections - Upper and lower limbs, Thorax and Abdomen, Head and Neck, etc. You know normal anatomy and physiology students spend 4 years to study these basic medical science courses. So you can say we use just 18 months to study courses of 4 years.

What about the numerous tests, steeple chase, etc. we write almost every week? And the 2nd MBBS exam we write at the end of the pre-clinical classes. We use just 1 week to write this exam. We write each paper each day. So we use only a night to revise something we did for 1 year.

Not to talk of the viva (oral) part of the exam with the tension, fear, etc. medical students have for it.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg o. There are also 3rd MBBS, 4th MBBS and 5th MBBS exams where you have to write the core clinical courses like O&G, Pediatrics, Medicine, Surgery, etc.
Oga, you can't compare the difficulty of Medicine to that of Engineering. The comparison should be between Medicine and Pharmacy instead.

I have a lot of friends that are Engineering students and Engineers, and I respect them so much.
Fantastic!!
It is not a matter of competition but I want you to know that Engineering courses too have sub-sections i.e Engineering mechanics is sub divided into;Statics(for first semester)
And Dynamics (for second semester) and it is damn broad...This is just one course oooo out of 8...
I salute the fact that you guys do write your MBBS exam per year .It is not easy because one can get easily forget some stuff or get stranded.....

As I said earlier,both courses are demanding and I can't say one is tougher than the other....
Please note that; Technology can change but science can never change (Think about this)...

Ok,The human anatomy is still the same it can never change ..the same organ that is in Adam's body is the same organ in your body...
That means I can know everything about human body but I can never know everything about technology and Engineering because it is alterating...
And human problem keep increasing everyday...
This makes Engineering to be more demanding bro....

Hope you grab??
This is not debate or competition..
Thanks.
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 9:27pm On Mar 30, 2020
yusman14:
Fantastic!!
It is not a matter of competition but I want you to know that Engineering courses too have sub-sections i.e Engineering mechanics is sub divided into;Statics(for first semester)
And Dynamics (for second semester) and it is damn broad...This is just one course oooo out of 8...
I salute the fact that you guys do write your MBBS exam per year .It is not easy because one can get easily forget some stuff or get stranded.....

As I said earlier,both courses are demanding and I can't say one is tougher than the other....
Please note that; Technology can change but science can never change (Think about this)...

Ok,The human anatomy is still the same it can never change ..the same organ that is in Adam's body is the same organ in your body...
That means I can know everything about human body but I can never know everything about technology and Engineering because it is alterating...

Hope you grab??
Thanks.
Science cannot change you say?�
Let me tell you, no one can ever know everything there is in the human body except God! Scientists and Doctors just know more compared to the common man. Medicine is actively changing. We are continuously finding new diseases, new group of cells, new surgical procedures, new mechanisms, etc. Even the basic cell as microscopic as it is, there are more than a billion things going on in it, and Scientists don't know all , they only know a little more. That is why they will always write in medical textbooks "the mechanism remains unknown". So they are actively researching, testing to know more. Wasn't it just the previous century that Watson and Crick successfully defined the structure of the DNA? And Wasn't it just last year a group of physiologists properly defined the mechanism of response of cells to hypoxia, and won Nobel prize for it?

Guy, medicine is actively changing. Let me come back to something familiar- Wasn't it not December last year scientist discovered the covid-19 virus after mutating twice, and uptil now the cure hasn't been found? Guess what- they have to update the old pathology textbooks to include the Covid-19 disease, its pathogenesis, signs, symptoms, etc.

So you see, you can't say Medicine or Anatomy will always remain the same. And no one can know everything about the human body, not even our Profs nor the great Ben Carson. They can only know all what have been researched and taught them.

4 Likes

Re: Stress And Medical School by yusman14(m): 9:53pm On Mar 30, 2020
Uniquely:

Science cannot change you say?�
Let me tell you, no one can ever know everything there is in the human body except God! Scientists and Doctors just know more compared to the common man. Medicine is actively changing. We are continuously finding new diseases, new group of cells, new surgical procedures, new mechanisms, etc. Even the basic cell as microscopic as it is, there are more than a billion things going on in it, and Scientists don't know all , they only know a little more. That is why they will always write in medical textbooks "the mechanism remains unknown". So they are actively researching, testing to know more. Wasn't it just the previous century that Watson and Crick successfully defined the structure of the DNA? And Wasn't it just last year a group of physiologists properly defined the mechanism of response of cells to hypoxia, and won Nobel prize for it?

Guy, medicine is actively changing. Let me come back to something familiar- Wasn't it not December last year scientist discovered the covid-19 virus after mutating twice, and uptil now the cure hasn't been found? Guess what- they have to update the old pathology textbooks to include the Covid-19 disease, its pathogenesis, signs, symptoms, etc.

So you see, you can't say Medicine or Anatomy will always remain the same. And no one can know everything about the human body, not even our Profs nor the great Ben Carson. They can only know all what have been researched and taught them.
I concur with you..But also know that advancement in Engineering leads to advancement in other areas like medicine...The rate at which technology is changing is relatively higher than the rate at which diseases are emerging...

Though medicine has been in existence since life begins and it is the oldest form of science....

Both courses are fantastic and they both have their challenges in one way or the other...If we should continue giving the fact why one is tougher than its counterpart then this thread will reach page 1000....lol
There is alot to argue on about this two courses..
I learnt somethings from you..I gained also... thanks docki
Re: Stress And Medical School by Nobody: 10:15pm On Mar 30, 2020
yusman14:
I concur with you..But also know that advancement in Engineering leads to advancement in other areas like medicine...The rate at which technology is changing is relatively higher than the rate at which diseases are emerging...

Though medicine has been in existence since life begins and it is the oldest form of science....

Both courses are fantastic and they both have their challenges in one way or the other...If we should continue giving the fact why one is tougher than its counterpart then this thread will reach page 1000....lol
There is alot to argue on about this two courses..
I learnt somethings from you..I gained also... thanks docki
Yes, very true! And I don't have much knowledge about Engineering, I can only talk about that of Medicine.

I was just bored. This Corona virus pandemic coupled with the indefinite ASUU strike really disrupted my plans.

2 Likes

Re: Stress And Medical School by PolymathAdeoye(m): 1:34pm On Jan 05, 2021
Thank you very much for this sir.
Re: Stress And Medical School by SirWarlock: 3:23pm On Jan 06, 2021
yusman14:

Engine students should engage in discourse also. It might seem that everywhere you go it's medicine this medicine that grin but sometimes it's just that they're the only ones interacting with each other and others from other fields.
Re: Stress And Medical School by yusman14(m): 11:11pm On Jan 08, 2021
SirWarlock:
Engine students should engage in discourse also. It might seem that everywhere you go it's medicine this medicine that grin but sometimes it's just that they're the only ones interacting with each other and others from other fields.
Whatever..
Re: Stress And Medical School by ICEZICO: 3:51pm On Jan 11, 2021
I am unreservedly grateful for this wonderful piece you put together. It might have taken you days to produce this amidst your many other daily cares. I must say you also have a calling for motivational writing (as it is evidence in my case of reading this write up). I in a way towed your part by delving into a course that did not make me happy. I spent 2 years studying information and communication technologies in the university. I was doing quite well in my grades within those years but surprisingly quit school for no just reason. I had always been excited about studying medicine and surgery. I sat for JAMB twice and failed to meet the required cut off for admission into medicine and surgery in my post UME. I thought I was running out of time (age) and decided to accept an admission into ICT studies. I did not struggle much with my courses, yet I was surprised that I just lost interest in the course and left school. I am now 34 years old and still want to go back to school. But my mind is still all over studying medicine and surgery. I am married with 3 kids already. My wife just finished her second (masters) degree and is about to pursue her PHD. We have the resources to spare and I have strong desire to study the workings of the human systems. I am encouraged rather than scared by your write up. I love the challenges as they create lots of adventures to unravel. I did not stumble over this write up by chance. I was actually searching for the expectations and how to cope with a medical school in Nigeria. Now I have a clue and it is worth giving a try. Thanks doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Stress And Medical School by imustmakeit(m): 6:54am On Jan 13, 2021
yusman14:
Fantastic!!

Hope you grab??
Thanks.
I understand you aren't in a debate, but then, I'd agree with him that medicine is tougher than engineering. You know why?
Engineering is already subdivided into different branches that you pick from and specialize just from the UG years. There's mechanical, chemical, civil, etc. That is not the case for medicine; it is in their post graduate studies they specialize.
Maybe you can say engineering is tougher when the name of the course is "Engineering" and you have to study all the branches in 5 years and specialize after UG studies.
Secondly, your assertion that you offered 8 engineering courses with textbooks up to over a thousand pages is flawed, because, you can attest to the fact that you didn't read up that textbook entirely, in fact, not even up to a half of it. Each semester has it's course content and synopsis, so you study most times what you're taught. In fact, if you study just the lecture hand out your lecturer gives and solve past questions, you can score a great mark and earn at least a B; studying the textbook isn't a must, except for personal gratification. Most of these engineering textbooks are still in use at post graduate level.
I hope you understand my point
Re: Stress And Medical School by yusman14(m): 9:38am On Jan 13, 2021
imustmakeit:
I understand you aren't in a debate, but then, I'd agree with him that medicine is tougher than engineering. You know why?
Engineering is already subdivided into different branches that you pick from and specialize just from the UG years. There's mechanical, chemical, civil, etc. That is not the case for medicine; it is in their post graduate studies they specialize.
Maybe you can say engineering is tougher when the name of the course is "Engineering" and you have to study all the branches in 5 years and specialize after UG studies.
Secondly, your assertion that you offered 8 engineering courses with textbooks up to over a thousand pages is flawed, because, you can attest to the fact that you didn't read up that textbook entirely, in fact, not even up to a half of it. Each semester has it's course content and synopsis, so you study most times what you're taught. In fact, if you study just the lecture hand out your lecturer gives and solve past questions, you can score a great mark and earn at least a B; studying the textbook isn't a must, except for personal gratification. Most of these engineering textbooks are still in use at post graduate level.
I hope you understand my point
Medicine is also sub-branched...the textbooks are for both semesters too...half for first semester while the other part in second semester...it depends on school though.. textbooks are very important in my school because sales of handouts is prohibited...it is not allowed...so we gat read from textbooks..
Re: Stress And Medical School by qwertie1234: 12:33pm On Jan 13, 2021
yusman14:
Medicine is also sub-branched...the textbooks are for both semesters too...half for first semester while the other part in second semester...it depends on school though.. textbooks are very important in my school because sales of handouts is prohibited...it is not allowed...so we gat read from textbooks..
how is medicine also sub-branched at the level of undergraduate..
let me give u a pix of wat medicine at the level of undergraduate means...imagine all the engineering causes (mechanical, chemical, civil e.t.c ) are merged to form a course called say GENERAL ENGINEERING.. this General engineering is what Medicine and surgery entails..in medicine u offer complete biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, medical microbiology , pharmacology( note these are Individual courses people study for 4years) then then u touch the whole branches of medicine and then surgery...
secondly, the MB exams is not just semester based, but u are asked questions from 2years' work including oral exams that u av just 10-15minute to proof that ur stuffs are still intact .now after undergraduate, there is an exam know as primaries, here u will b asked detailed questions from 200l wup to 600level..this continue and continue till u retire..
medicine may not be d most complex brain tasking course( I give dat to physics, maths and those aerospace guys) but medicine is unarguably the most cumbersome and bulkiest course requiring highest level of brain retaining capacity in the world

1 Like

Re: Stress And Medical School by Lordsagna: 8:26pm On Feb 16, 2021
qwertie1234:

how is medicine also sub-branched at the level of undergraduate..
let me give u a pix of wat medicine at the level of undergraduate means...imagine all the engineering causes (mechanical, chemical, civil e.t.c ) are merged to form a course called say GENERAL ENGINEERING.. this General engineering is what Medicine and surgery entails..in medicine u offer complete biochemistry, physiology, anatomy, medical microbiology , pharmacology( note these are Individual courses people study for 4years) then then u touch the whole branches of medicine and then surgery...
secondly, the MB exams is not just semester based, but u are asked questions from 2years' work including oral exams that u av just 10-15minute to proof that ur stuffs are still intact .now after undergraduate, there is an exam know as primaries, here u will b asked detailed questions from 200l wup to 600level..this continue and continue till u retire..
medicine may not be d most complex brain tasking course( I give dat to physics, maths and those aerospace guys) but medicine is unarguably the most cumbersome and bulkiest course requiring highest level of brain retaining capacity in the world

wow!!
Re: Stress And Medical School by Cabardin: 12:28pm On Aug 18, 2021
Any student experiences a lot of stress while studying. In higher education, the competition is much than in school. Students are trying to maintain their level and manage to learn a lot of information. For medical students, the stress is even more significant because they have more responsibility. Before applying, my parents asked me if I was ready for this kind of workload and really wanted to do it. We found the newest acceptance rates of medical schools, and I found my university. Frankly speaking, my family helps me to cope with stress. They support me even if I don't get the best result.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Schools In Rivers State Resume On Monday, 4th January, 2021 / Is Boarding School Better Than Day School? What Are The Reasons / UNILAG Ranked 3rd Most Productive School In Africa In Educating Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.