Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,248 members, 7,864,306 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 03:24 PM

Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List (27466 Views)

Ohanaeze Gives FG Utimatum To Send Igbo Teachers To Israel / Global Youth Forum Issues PDP 7days Utimatum To Award GEJ Automatic 2015 Ticket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by 4Play(m): 12:46am On Jan 07, 2010
Nigeria qualifies to be on the list for 2 primary reasons;

(1) There is relatively considerable interaction between the 2 states, whether in the form of travel or other numerous cultural and social links, which can be exploited by terrorists. This does not apply to the likes of Mali that Uche keeps referring to.

(2) Nigeria's security apparatus is in a porous state and the north is littered with thousands of Islamists causing mayhem and sparking violence which has caused thousands of lives. The UK and France do not have this problem

You effectively have this nexus between the high level of interactions(between the US and Nigeria) and a dire security situation in Nigeria. Thousands of people have died in Nigeria because of sectarian violence, often involving Islamists. This clearly marks Nigeria as a nation of interest.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by violent(m): 12:48am On Jan 07, 2010
I really hope  Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke the fat necked lady will come out now and blow her friggin trumpet. . . . after all she was one of the few who organised a money campaign rally for Obama
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 12:51am On Jan 07, 2010
violent:

I really hope  Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke the fat necked lady will come out now and blow her friggin trumpet. . . . after all she was one of the few who organised a money campaign rally for Obama
GOD bless you for saying that. also to all those nigerians basically calling Obama the messiah. if to say he be messiah e means say nigerians for no enter heaven

shioooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by sweetguy10(m): 12:59am On Jan 07, 2010
violent:

Maybe they shared the Money Together ?? No wonder her neck keep getting fat , grin grin grin or she is one of his tools lipsrsealed

whatawhat:

sweetguy10-it is true can you imagine the self loating these ppl that l share heritage with are spitting

Abi brother , our people have this HOLIER-THAN-THOU attitude that wont let us rest, truly they are self Loating , thank God I am not grin grin grin
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by trueword: 1:02am On Jan 07, 2010
sjeezy8:

I dont what Nigerians are romanticized by the idea of America but I myself will say that as of right now , Nigerian govt doesnt and it seems as if it CANT handle itself maturely. If America didnt offer things Nigeria doesnt, people wouldnt flock there. When Nigerian govt starts acting accordingly then Nigerians can stay in Nigeria and not worry about looking abroad, like many South africans do. but not now

@post theres a double standard but the weak Nigerian govt allowed itself to be applicable to it. Nigerian govt knows it has muslim extrmist and crazy people, since the first inclusion of antiamerican/anti christian views, the Nigerian govt should have acted like any reasonable govt would and controlled it. Namely at the airports but as usual they waited till something bad happend to take action. Nigerians should be concerned about even flying from lagos to abj or abj to Ph, or abj to kaduna.

Its about high time Nigerian govt GROWS UP.

you hit the nail on the head
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by sweetguy10(m): 1:04am On Jan 07, 2010
Those FREE-MASONS , I am sure they have Brainwashed OBAMA too and they turned His back against Nigeria , May God Help Us from America , Capitalist America , Cultist America , Propagandist America , OMG ! i am hating them so much Now I Hope I don't turn to another Abdul-mutallab ? undecided  Well instead of bombing any Plane , me I will collect their Money and run to my Village In Abeokuta !! grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by tureal(m): 1:08am On Jan 07, 2010
after all said and done,, i think the solution is for us to breakup,, YES breakup aboki go your way,, ,, briafa go your way,, south south go your way,,, oloduwa go your way,, make we all know the one wan we dey
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by yeswecan(m): 1:08am On Jan 07, 2010
sweetguy10:

Those FREE-MASONS , I am sure they have Brainwashed OBAMA too and they turned His back against Nigeria , May God Help Us from America , Capitalist America , Cultist America , Propagandist America , OMG ! i am hating them so much Now I Hope I don't turn to another Abdul-mutallab ? undecided  Well instead of bombing any Plane , me I will collect their Money and run to my Village In Abeokuta !! grin grin grin grin

LOL we have Nigeria Masons
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by yeswecan(m): 1:12am On Jan 07, 2010
tureal:

after all said and done,, i think the solution is for us to breakup,, YES breakup aboki go your way,, ,, briafa go your way,, south south go your way,,, oloduwa go your way,, make we all know the one wan we dey

true talk . . . that's my dream for NIGERIA . break up into four parts . . . . . . . It is laughable when Biafra group South South to theirs, it makes wana throw-up
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by MrCartha: 1:14am On Jan 07, 2010
tureal:

Are we this weak to call for a break instead of die in unity embarassed shocked
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by violent(m): 1:19am On Jan 07, 2010
Mr. Cartha:

Are we this weak to call for a break instead of die in unity embarassed shocked

Live in Peace. . . . or die in unity, not such a tough choice right?

I choose Peace, aboki go your way
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by kidonig: 1:27am On Jan 07, 2010
It is really sad. I feel bad about this list thing but how important and relevant are we to the US anyway? How hard have we tried to rid ourselves of the things that continue to soil our image. Why do we continue to have this feeling of self importance? Read my post below to see a lecture delivered in honour of Chinua Achebe in the US where a US envoy said somethings that got me thinking,

Click the link below,

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-377165.0.html#msg5263956
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by whatawhat: 1:44am On Jan 07, 2010
http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/6/612.html
make una read this -don't be blinded by your hate we should all wake up b/c it is not funny we will definitely be affected if we don't take time

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/denis-campbell/terrorism-state-lottery-w_b_410125.html
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by namski(m): 1:48am On Jan 07, 2010
Our Micky Mouse senate has issued an ultimatum, so let us wait and see what comes out of it. Rubbish!!!

Please ma ppl do not be deceived that these idiots are fighting in your favour. They are obviously concerned about their own affairs and the fact that they too or their children will face the airport humiliation on their route to go bank our money they steal. Seriously, I am interested in the diplomatic row the micky mousers will instigate against US.

And for all you that think that US needs our crude oil, please wake from your slumber and face reality. We need US purchasing our crude oil more than US needs our crude oil. Our crude reserve is just marginal compared to the world reserve capacity. The only reason why our crude oil might be of importance is owing to its quality, I do not know to what extent we can exert any significant pressure on world crude oil price.

Coming back to the point in question, I personally think that the action by US is justified. The question is not about an isolated incident, but about the potential to radicalise. We are Nigerians and we need no one recalling the numerous incidents happening in the north. So this is like the last stroke that broke the camels back as far as the rest of the western world is concerned.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by Nobody: 1:54am On Jan 07, 2010
The nigerian senators are just a bunch of clowns so no right thinking person would take them seriously.But then having said that i think the americans are nothing but hypocrites.I mean half of the american tax payer"s money goes to the saudi royal family and while saudi arabia wasnt included among the first seven nations that support terrorism by the americans the saudi govt still sponsers state terror through islamic charities.We nigerians shouldnt be worried about what the americans think about us because the americans are narrow minded and besides cuba was also included as a country that sponsors terrorism by the americans.We should be more worried about the problems in our country.Let the americans say what ever they want to say about nigerians and africans.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by Wallie(m): 2:14am On Jan 07, 2010
whatawhat:

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/jan/6/612.html
make una read this -don't be blinded by your hate we should all wake up b/c it is not funny we will definitely be affected if we don't take time

Quote from the link above,
", According to Intelligence sources’ reports gathered on Prison Planet networks and “Forums” of Pravda, a Russian news and analysis medium, Abdulmutallab’s flight from Amsterdam Schiphol to Detroit was said to be a false flag operation carried out by the intelligence tripartite grouping of the United States’ CIA, Israeli’s Foreign Intelligence Agency (Mossad), and Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) of Indian Inteligence."

Only in Nigeria will an actual newspaper, Tribune, with an established customer base quote a Forum as a news source! People actually pay money to read papers like this being passed off as news?
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by namski(m): 2:23am On Jan 07, 2010
Wallie:

Only in Nigeria will an actual newspaper, Tribune, with an established customer base quote a Forum as a news source! People actually pay money to read papers like this being passed off as news?

Abeg follow me see o! Infact, it was mentioned today on AIT's Focus Nigeria and men that claim to have credibility were citing it in their argument . Haba!!!
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 2:29am On Jan 07, 2010
this story just begin, na wa o
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by Uche2nna(m): 2:40am On Jan 07, 2010
@ 4play

I not stating that Nigeria should not be on the list. Lord knows that we only have ourselves to blame. The Northern part of Nigeria has always been a problem when it comes to religious violence. We have just managed to export that violence to the international community and as a result we should bear the full consequences. This problem is going to continue until something drastic is done. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for all and sundry.

However, the point that is being made is that the criteria which got Nigeria on that list is enough to condemn other countries to that list. Is there some sort of double standard? undecided
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 2:46am On Jan 07, 2010
Uche2nna:

@ 4play

I not stating that Nigeria should not be on the list. Lord knows that we only have ourselves to blame. The Northern part of Nigeria has always been a problem when it comes to religious violence. We have just managed to export that violence to the international community and as a result we should bear the full consequences. This problem is going to continue until something drastic is done. Maybe this will be a wake-up call for all and sundry.

However, the point that is being made is that the criteria which got Nigeria on that list is enough to condemn other countries to that list. Is there some sort of double standard? undecided

of cos. richard reid the shoe bomber na britico. wetin happen? if abdulmutallab was a britico citizen nothing would have happened. nothing. double standards galore. with china's eminence as a global superpower if na chinese citizen nothing would have happened. no consistency whatsoever

Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 2:46am On Jan 07, 2010
of cos. richard reid the shoe bomber na britico. wetin happen? if abdulmutallab was a britico citizen nothing would have happened. nothing. double standards galore. with china's eminence as a global superpower if na chinese citizen nothing would have happened. no consistency whatsoever
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by namski(m): 2:59am On Jan 07, 2010
@Uche2nna and ladej,

as it is often said at the end of children's tale, the moral of the story is, Nigeria grow up. Harness your potentials, build and develop your capacities, tap your abundant human and natural resources and become an economic and political world force to reckon with. It is still a survival of the fitest!!!
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 3:03am On Jan 07, 2010
namski:

@Uche2nna and ladej,

as it is often said at the end of children's tale, the moral of the story is, Nigeria grow up. Harness your potentials, build and develop your capacities, tap your abundant human and natural resources and become an economic and political world force to reckon with. It is still a survival of the fitest!!!
you have spoken well like the true son of your father. i agree. nigeria has to make itself relevant and use this as a blessing in disguise to clean up our collective mess. i agree with you
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 3:07am On Jan 07, 2010
ket me share this article with you

EVERY harsh word possible has been justifiably used to condemn the crazy attempt by Nigerian-born Umar Farouk Mutallab, to blow up Northwest Airline Flight 253 over Detroit on Christmas day 2009. It is remarkable that the condemnations have come fast and thick from virtually every continent and nation including Nigeria. The Federal Government of Nigeria, religious organisations, individuals and groups, including members of the Mutallab Family have expressed outrage at the despicable attempt to commit senseless mass murder of citizens of many nations, on that day of global goodwill.

advertisement
In my judgement, Mr. President, you have started well by reacting quickly and objectively. By admitting what you described as "systemic and human failures" you have indicated that you do not intend to play politics with the near-tragedy and genuine threat to the security and safety of the American people you swore to protect. The purpose of this memo therefore is to draw your attention to certain key issues, which should influence your handling of the crisis.

The first point to which I wish to respectfully draw your attention is the true identity and person of the suspect, namely Umar Farouk Mutallab. The suspect is of Nigerian parentage. That is his only genuine link with Nigeria. His parents are fabulously affluent. His earliest years in life were in Nigeria. However, he did not have the opportunity to grow up to become a stereotypical Nigerian. His formative years were spent in a British school in Togo in West Africa. As is now well known, he had his university education in London, in the United Kingdom. During this period, he travelled to the United States and later the Middle East, notably Yemen. He parted ways with his parents and succumbed to the radicalisation of Al Qaeda operatives in Yemen. Nigerian and American security agents were duly informed by a most credible source; the biological Father of this fellow. It is therefore clear, that apart from his parental links, there is nothing Nigerian about this fellow. Yes, he was born by Nigerian parents but his orientation is more British and Yemeni than Nigerian.

It is very significant, that The Telegraph of London, in its Editorial comments on the incident highlighted the fact that the suspect was "British-educated". It went on to add that, "According to Police sources, 25 British-born Muslims are currently in Yemen being trained in the art of bombing planes. But most of these terrorists did not acquire their crazed beliefs in the Islamic world; they were indoctrinated in Britain."

Mr. President, the point made above is very critical. If the U.S. Government and its agents now begin to focus their search for terrorists on Nigeria and Nigerians, it would have missed the point completely ab initio. The focus should be on those parts of the world, which provide the atmosphere for the radicalisation of young persons, and their recruitment for terrorist acts not necessarily on the countries of their birth. I am glad that you have been quoted as having placed responsibility for the attack on Al Qaeda. I think you are right on that Mr. President.

When Ilych Ramirez Sanchez, the terrorist popularly known as Carlos the Jackal, was involved in terrorist acts, his Venezuela, the nation of his birth was not stigmatised. The fellow is still in jail serving out a life sentence in France for terrorism and murder. When British citizens were found culpable in London terrorist attacks, the British did not all automatically earn the label of being potential terrorists. When U.S. citizen, Timothy McVeigh, was convicted and executed for the Oklahoma bombings in the U.S. the rest of the world did not for that reason treat all U.S. citizens as automatic terror suspects. Richard Colvin Reid, otherwise known as the Shoe bomber then was convicted for terrorism. He is today still in a U.S. prison serving a life sentence for terrorism. Britain did not by that fact become a bye word for terrorism and there is no evidence anywhere that British citizens were singled out for embarrassment around the world because of the conviction of one of them.

Therefore Mr. President, the crazy deeds of a Nigerian-born, British-trained and Yemeni oriented terror suspect should not qualify Nigeria as a nation of terrorists or even potential terrorists. That would be totally illogical. The embarrassment of the ill Nigerian passenger on another Northwest flight to Detroit from Amsterdam, not long after the infamous failed attempt by Mutallab, is exactly the kind of irrational conduct the U.S. security agents in particular and U.S. citizens in general must avoid.

Mr. President, the U.S. should learn the right lessons from this tragic incident. The London bombings, which involved British citizens, taught the Australians the right lessons. It would be helpful for the U.S. Government and security agents to study the Australian reaction to the phenomenon of "homegrown British terrorists". If I must help with a hint of what the Australians did Mr. President, they looked inwards into their own society to try to unravel the circumstances, which grow persons who take to terrorism. The U.S. should focus on those societies that grow terrorists and those societies which habour Al-Qaeda cells, which radicalise young persons to commit acts of terror. That is where the problems lie.

By admitting that that "systemic and human" failure had occurred, Mr. President, you have started out on the right path. The British denied their own graduate engineer another student visa. The American system did not consider the threat serious enough to warrant a "no fly" status. So, who is to blame? By the way Sir, did the British warn their American cousins of their reaction to the threat that the young Mutallab posed? As I close this piece of unsolicited advice Mr. President, I would like to end with a most relevant quote credited to former U.S. President Harry Truman, in reaction to the Pearl Habour attack on the U.S. The President was quoted to have stated as follows: "If we'd all had that information in one agency, by God, I believe we could have foreseen what was going to happen, "

Mr. President, as the investigations into the September 11, 2001, terror attacks revealed, President George Bush could have used exactly the same words as President Harry Truman did. Most regrettably Mr. President, although it is morning yet with regards to the current investigations, it is already clear, that with respect to the failed bombing attempt by Umar Farouk Mutallab, there are enough facts to make you repeat the exact words of President Harry Truman. It is therefore important Mr. President that you take whatever steps are necessary to prevent another U.S. President from having to justifiably repeat President Harry Truman with respect to the management of intelligence and security.

Finally, Mr. President, a passenger on Flight 253, Jasper Schuringa, was said to have tackled Umar Mutallab when he noticed the felon had a fire in his hands. According to one newspaper report, "To ensure the suspect did not have other explosives Schuringa stripped off Abdulmutallab's clothes, "

Today, that passenger is being hailed around the world as a hero. He is indeed a genuine hero. He deserves to be celebrated. However, before every passenger in every aircraft begins to attempt to wrestle every suspected bomber, I think it important that every one should know that attempting to search someone suspected on having explosives on his person is not a smart thing to do. Such an action can in fact trigger an explosion, depending on how the device is configured. This fact must not be lost on all persons of goodwill. God bless America!

* Majoyeogbe, a retired military intelligence Colonel, now a Security Consultant, lives in Lagos.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by becomrich16: 3:59am On Jan 07, 2010
The terror act by the bomber is a continuation of the terror act by a section of nigeria on human life. This pictures below tell you the story, how many Yorubas that have been killed so far by this network of terrorist who live in Nigeria.

The impact of the USA listing on Nigeria have little or no effect on this people because less than 10% of them ever travel abroad. The bulk of visitor to the USA are yorubas, who trader and have other interest in the USA. The economy effect is into the couple of billion of dollar to the lifes of our people. This is what they our terrors want. They want to kill the Yoruba economy. They have shut down several banks in Nigeria. And have destroy people business.

This is who they are. And instead of the USA looking toward Yeman, they should look into our history and see , there are terrorist in Nigeria. And they have cause terror to the lifes of the Yoruba people.

The honest truth is it is just a continuation of the terror on the lifes of the Yorubas, and economy impact to thier lifes if the USA and other nation do not grant us special status. We may all live in the same country with this terrorist. But we are not the same.

Our believes and ideas are different. They are terrorist we are not, and we should not have to suffer for their act of terror to the USA. They should suffer for it. And not us. We want a special status to identify us as been different from this people. Why should we carry the same passport with terrorist.?

It's because of the act of this terrorist that many Yorubas now live in the USA and many countries. And honestly, they have destroy our people ways of life. We want do not want to be classified the same way as them.

I would say the USA and other nation have just seen a tip of the ice of what they are capable of doing and what they have done to the millions of lifes of the Yorubas.

We want a special status to identify us as been different from this people. Why should we carry the same passport with terrorist.?
They do not value human life.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_O5S81JkhlP4/STvbPMr3NPI/AAAAAAAAAPM/qxPVYOjkDoI/s400/jos.jpg[/img]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/113989_Jos_riots1_jpge184a186c10d12c932c1f34e981893ce
www.nairaland.com/attachments/113972_jos_riot_jpga541d5d9bade2165c130b7dbcee80676
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by Nobody: 4:03am On Jan 07, 2010
Infact all those senators, politicians and their kids should be banned from entering the US. Let me where dey would run too. No more US visas for them. Sit down and develop your country. We deserve it.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 4:05am On Jan 07, 2010
luizworld:

Infact all those senators, politicians and their kids should be banned from entering the US. Let me where dey would run too. No more US visas for them. Sit down and develop your country. We deserve it.
they will go elsewhere, is US the only country? see you. i agree with your second part, Sit down and develop your country. We deserve it.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by ladej(m): 4:12am On Jan 07, 2010
London breeding Islamic terrorists

Editor's note: Robert S. Leiken in the director of National Security and Immigration Programs at The Nixon Center and writes for The National Interest. He is the author of the forthcoming "Europe's Angry Muslims: The Revolt of the Second Generation" (Oxford University Press).

(CNN) -- In assessing blame for the Christmas Day terror scare, we point fingers at Yemen, at the Amsterdam airport, even at corruption in African airports. But no one mentions where the would-be suicide bomber was radicalized: London, the capital of the ally we take for granted.

Last weekend, British security agency MI5 revealed that Umar Farouk AbdulMutallab had "multiple communications" with Islamic extremists in London, that the Nigerian reached out from London to a worldwide network of jihadi contacts and that he was "on the periphery of a past incident."

Why was this 3-year-old information apparently not shared with U.S. authorities until more than a week after the near-fatal flight?

Probably the reason is that UK security agencies are overwhelmed by the dimensions of the terrorist threat in Britain. Two years ago, MI5's director revealed that there were 4,000 people known to be "involved in terrorist-related activity in the UK" in more than 200 terrorist networks. A year later, authorities said the threat was growing "increasingly complex" and the numbers "even higher."

Since the mid-90s, London has been a haven for foreign jihadi preachers, organizers, agitators and propagandists, many of them recipients of generous welfare benefits.

"Londonistan" attracted second-generation British Muslims who spurned the folk Islam and customs of their immigrant parents but were repelled by a British culture they regarded as decadent and racist.
London has become a fertile field in the jihadi playground, along with Yemen, Pakistan and Somalia.

With the exception of the 2005 London bombings, the terrorist plots they organized were disrupted. However, permissive British judges and juries failed to convict many of the plotters, including those who scouted the London bombing.

Anwar al-Awlaki, who inspired the Fort Hood massacre and conspired with AbdulMutallab in Yemen, reportedly has also inspired several terrorist cells in Britain. He is heard on British-based Web sites and via video links at conferences hosted by university Islamic Societies such as the one AbdulMutallab led at University College London.

The Nigerian is the fourth president of a London Islamic Society to face terrorist charges in three years. One of them is awaiting retrial, having escaped conviction for involvement in the 2006 liquid bomb plot to blow up airliners bound for the U.S., a precursor to the Christmas plot.

In November, the University College Islamic Society canceled, at the last minute, an appearance by a firebrand imam who preached at other London universities that women are mentally deficient and that critics of Islam and homosexuals should be assassinated.

After the Christmas scare, videos of UCL Islamic Society gatherings were removed from YouTube, and its Web site was taken down. An Islamic Society video allowed to remain online, presumably regarded by UCL authorities as not so embarrassing, boasted of "the collapse of evolution in the very building dedicated to Charles Darwin. In the spot he once lived."

What was hidden in the other videos? Why can't scholars view them? Malcolm Grant, UCL's provost, professes to being "completely shocked" by the Christmas news.

He says AbdulMutallab's tutors "found it impossible to tell the difference between him and any other student." Are we supposed to be reassured? According to The Observer newspaper, Britain's official "Joint Terrorism Analysis Center is believed to have cited UCL in 2008 as one of up to 12 universities that might have a problem with 'extremism.' "

About 100,000 British university students are Muslims. About a quarter of them belong to Islamic Societies, and half of those are active members.

With the ascendancy of identity politics in Britain, Islamic Societies, rather like African-American student associations of yore, have become the hub of students professing to seek "social justice." But their idea of justice is to indict as the world's real terrorists the U.S. and Israel, as in "The War on Terror Week" that AbdulMutallab hosted at UCL's Islamic Society.

Islamic Society members vary widely. They may be moderate Sufis, apolitical pietists, democratic Islamists, windy radicals or extremists like AbdulMutallab. Many of them believe that violence is acceptable if their religion is under attack, which is little comfort, because the central plank of radical Islam is that their religion is under attack worldwide.

Terror experts believe AbdulMutallab, 23, was targeted by al Qaeda as a suicide bomber because he had previously flown to the United States, had a valid visa and had lived in the UK. More than a dozen British radicals reportedly are being trained in Yemen today, not to mention scores training in Pakistan.

But if we begin to point fingers at Britain, we will need two hands. The danger from Britain has its source in nearly every institution in British society: a Parliament that cannot pass counterterrorism legislation, police that do not arrest because evidence is not strong enough to convince a British court, security agencies that do not disclose to the media information about suspects, Islamic organizations that tell Muslims that such silence proves that the suspects have been falsely accused, a press that allows the public to believe such claims, jurors who then hold prosecutors to impossible standards and a once-glorious culture of tolerance that has lost its bearings.

London has become a fertile field in the jihadi playground, along with Yemen, Pakistan and Somalia.

Our great friend has allowed herself to become a strategic resource to our common enemies and a liability in the struggle against terrorism.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Robert S. Leiken.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by bawomolo(m): 4:18am On Jan 07, 2010
must ado about nothing.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by H2O2: 4:22am On Jan 07, 2010
Lol too much shakespeare bawo grin
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by olowolekan(m): 5:05am On Jan 07, 2010
Nigeria situation is like a yoruba agade which says `` Eniti a fe sunje ti o n fi epo para.It`s only God who can deliver this country.I believe the Lord God Almighty will deliver her very soon.
Re: Senate Gives Obama's Admin 7-day Utimatum To Remove Nigeria From The Black List by mubaraqqq(f): 5:12am On Jan 07, 2010
becomrich;:

The terror act by the bomber is a continuation of the terror act by a section of nigeria on human life. This pictures below tell you the story, how many Yorubas that have been killed so far by this network of terrorist who live in Nigeria.

The impact of the USA listing on Nigeria have little or no effect on this people because less than 10% of them ever travel abroad. The bulk of visitor to the USA are yorubas, who trader and have other interest in the USA. The economy effect is into the couple of billion of dollar to the lifes of our people. This is what they our terrors want. They want to kill the Yoruba economy. They have shut down several banks in Nigeria. And have destroy people business.

This is who they are. And instead of the USA looking toward Yeman, they should look into our history and see , there are terrorist in Nigeria. And they have cause terror to the lifes of the Yoruba people.

The honest truth is it is just a continuation of the terror on the lifes of the Yorubas, and economy impact to thier lifes if the USA and other nation do not grant us special status. We may all live in the same country with this terrorist. But we are not the same.

Our believes and ideas are different. They are terrorist we are not, and we should not have to suffer for their act of terror to the USA. They should suffer for it. And not us. We want a special status to identify us as been different from this people. Why should we carry the same passport with terrorist.?

It's because of the act of this terrorist that many Yorubas now live in the USA and many countries. And honestly, they have destroy our people ways of life. We want do not want to be classified the same way as them.

I would say the USA and other nation have just seen a tip of the ice of what they are capable of doing and what they have done to the millions of lifes of the Yorubas.

We want a special status to identify us as been different from this people. Why should we carry the same passport with terrorist.?
They do not value human life.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_O5S81JkhlP4/STvbPMr3NPI/AAAAAAAAAPM/qxPVYOjkDoI/s400/jos.jpg[/img]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/113989_Jos_riots1_jpge184a186c10d12c932c1f34e981893ce
www.nairaland.com/attachments/113972_jos_riot_jpga541d5d9bade2165c130b7dbcee80676

Trust Nigerians, they have to bring tribalism into this thread. We are talking about our useless leaders with misplaced priorities and someone has to bring tribalism into it. And we wonder why we have useless politicians.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Flood Ravages Parts Of Nasarawa State (Photos) / Arrest: Rochas Okorocha College Students Protest Across Nigeria (Videos) / INEC Is A Disappointment - Situation Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.