Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,853 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:48 AM

Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' (3769 Views)

Coronavirus: Winners Chapel Reacts To Criticism Of Service Held On Sunday 22nd / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Woman Was Not God's Original Idea (video) / Pastor Adeboye: Stop Using My Pictures On Souvenirs, I Am Not God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by malvisguy212: 9:59am On Apr 29, 2017
dalaman:

Its makes you feel special so that you will happily accept the mythology and fiction that was sold to you just like others in different religions have accepted theirs.

and atheism make you feel special ,wiser and interlingent above religious folks, right ?
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by malvisguy212: 10:01am On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you haven't said anything
feed yourself, go and do your research which religious is the truth, after all you bring this up.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by dalaman: 10:09am On Apr 29, 2017
malvisguy212:
have you search which of this religion is the truth ?

All of them are equally valid or invalid.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 10:09am On Apr 29, 2017
malvisguy212:
feed yourself, go and do your research which religious is the truth, after all you bring this up.

is that the copout? is that how you mask the fact that you don't have any extraordinary evidence for your claim of Christianity being truer than all other religions? I'll accept your copout cuz even the OP of this thread can't present such evidence too, he'll rather present claims for a generic god and ignore when one asks him for claims about Christianity being true

I'm used to that bro tongue
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 10:12am On Apr 29, 2017
malvisguy212:
and atheism make you feel special ,wiser and interlingent above religious folks, right ?

this is one of the worst red herrings I've seen
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by malvisguy212: 10:16am On Apr 29, 2017
^^^ Nigerian atheists indeed. always asking question with a question.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by sonofthunder: 10:19am On Apr 29, 2017
Butterworth:

Your God must be a magicia.... LOOOL
if that's your perception thus far...
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hahn(m): 11:59am On Apr 29, 2017
malvisguy212:
do you live outside of this box ?

Can't you answer a simple question? undecided
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by dalaman: 12:41pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

this is one of the worst red herrings I've seen

Why have most nairaland christians stop threatening people with hell? Back in the days people like malvisguy212 would he thrown 10 hell threats already. I guess they've realized that the hell threat which is nothing but desperation doesn't make any sense any more.

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2017
Atheists are fake Scientists. It's not God then what? They can never prove that it's not God.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 12:52pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:
Atheists are fake Scientists. It's not God then what? They can never prove that it's not God.

I've proven that FSM is the God behind it all, check first page for those proof, there are many more but I don't want to overwhelm you guys
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by CatfishBilly: 12:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:
So, since we can't prove that it is not God, then it is?
Una no dey tire for this God of the gaps argument?

2 Likes

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 12:56pm On Apr 29, 2017
CatfishBilly:

So, since we can't prove that it is not God, then it is?
Una no dey tire for this God of the gaps argument?
Then you don't have a right to question my belief.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 1:05pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

Then you don't have a right to question my belief.

this is a fallacy called Appeal to ignorance

Argument from ignorance (from Latin :
argumentum ad ignorantiam ), also known as
appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence "wink , is a
fallacy in informal logic . It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that: there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,

1. true
2. false
3. unknown between true or false
4. being unknowable (among the first three).

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 1:15pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

this is a fallacy called Appeal to ignorance

Argument from ignorance (from Latin :
argumentum ad ignorantiam ), also known as
appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence "wink , is a
fallacy in informal logic . It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that: there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,

1. true
2. false
There's no fallacy anywhere. If you're telling me it's not God then what? If you can't give me the answer then you've no right to question my belief.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 1:16pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

There's no fallacy anywhere. If you're telling me it's not God then what? If you can't give me the answer then you've no right to question my belief.

you keep proving the fallacy

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 1:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you keep proving the fallacy

You are not answering my question? Who or what created the universe if it's not God?
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 1:23pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

You are not answering my question? Who or what created the universe if it's not God?

exactly argument from ignorance, why is this too difficult for you to understand?

It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa)

can you prove FSM didn't create the universe? is your inability to prove Vishnu didn't create the universe mean Vishnu did

these are philosophical arguments ffs

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 1:26pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

exactly argument from ignorance, why is this too difficult for you to understand?

It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa)

can you prove FSM didn't create the universe? is your inability to prove Vishnu didn't create the universe mean Vishnu did

these are philosophical arguments ffs

But you're also arguing from that point of view.

Since you can't prove God then it's not true.

Don't you see the hypocrisy?
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 1:43pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

But you're also arguing from that point of view.

Since you can't prove God then it's not true.

Don't you see the hypocrisy?

No! atheists admit ignorance and god of the gaps is a failed hypothesis;

there were so many things we thought were controlled by divine powers since the beginning of man, most of these thoughts have now been proven to be totally false

there was a time humans thought rain, thunder, lightning, snow, malaria, madness, Small pox even sunshine etc were supernatural occurrences and now we know better

so let's now look at history for things that people thought were ordinary and later found to actually be supernatural, NONE as far as I know, there's nothing we thought was ordinary that we realised was supernatural, NOTHING!!!

So when gaps in our knowledge are being questioned these days, its safe not to plug those gaps with a god because history shows that its not the best; even prominent theologians regard god of the gaps to be an insult to god because as science discovers new things, the importance of god is being diminished and I see sense in that

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by Nobody: 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

there were so many things we thought were controlled by divine powers since the beginning of man, most of these thoughts have now been proven to be totally false

there was a time humans thought rain, thunder, lightning, snow, malaria, madness, Small pox even sunshine etc were supernatural occurrences and now we know better

so let's now look at history for things that people thought were ordinary and later found to actually be supernatural, NONE as far as I know, there's nothing we thought was ordinary that we realised was supernatural, NOTHING!!!

So when gaps in our knowledge are being questioned these days, its safe not to plug those gaps with a god because history shows that its not the best; even prominent theologians regard god of the gaps to be an insult to god because as science discovers new things, the importance of god is being diminished and I see sense in that

You can say that again. it belittles God
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 1:53pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Based on what? Oga Ade, if you're telling me something is failed you're indirectly telling me you have the solution and the solution is proven.

Go and learn what hypothesis is before quoting me again.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 1:59pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

Based on what? Oga Ade, if you're telling me something is failed you're indirectly telling me you have the solution and the solution is proven.

Go and learn what hypothesis is before quoting me again.

the rest of the post which you deleted when quoting explains why its a failed hypothesis
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by luvmijeje(f): 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

the rest of the post which you deleted when quoting explains why its a failed hypothesis

You are giving me excuses why I should believe it's not God. And comparing it to what can not proven in billions and billions years to come and by that time traces of our existence would have been wipe off.
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by hopefulLandlord: 2:19pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

You are giving me excuses why I should believe it's not God. And comparing it to what can not proven in billions and billions years to come and by that time traces of our existence would have been wipe off.

oh! I keep repeating myself here

which part of the below don't you understand

there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,

1. true
2. false

this answers your question

and for the part where I called it a failed hypothesis, I explained that there have been several gaps in our knowledge that had been filled with god over the centuries but we now know better

back to your main post

luvmijeje:

do you have a crystal ball to know that most of these mysteries would not be demystified in billions of years down the line? remember that 6,000 years ago, people would've thought it impossible for you to talk here and be heard in the US simultaneously and such people would've sworn it would never be possible "billions and billions of years to come" just like you're claiming now about the origin of the universe

again, that something is unknown or unknowable doesn't mean we should plug those with god

and a question to you, what happens if we came to know the origin of the universe and do not find any evidence that a god is needed? does this automatically conclude that no god exists?

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 29, 2017
luvmijeje:

You comment do not only contain fallacy but fallacies...

Appeal to ignorance (argumentum ad ignoratiam)
Divine fallacy
Argument from incredulity

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by malvisguy212: 6:08pm On Apr 29, 2017
dalaman:

Why have most nairaland christians stop threatening people with hell? Back in the days people like malvisguy212 would he thrown 10 hell threats already. I guess they've realized that the hell threat which is nothing but desperation doesn't make any sense any more.
trash. the topic of hell must have shaken your spirit.

1 Like

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by dalaman: 6:27pm On Apr 29, 2017
malvisguy212:
trash. the topic of hell must have shaken your spirit.

Shaken my spirt how? Did the threat of burning in a lake of fire for eternity convince you that Islam is true?

Did the threat of being reborn a very poor person or perhaps even an animal convince you that Buddhism or Hinduism are true?

Did the threat of missing out on the really good parties in Valhalla convince you that the Norse religion is true?

Every religion that I know of makes some kind of threat about what happens after you die if you fail to follow their teachings. You have already encountered many of these threats from many of these other religions and none of them convinced you that those other religions are true. You must have noticed this by now.

So why did you expect your threats from your religion to convince me that your religion is true? Do you really think you are that much smarter than me that you expected an argument that didn't work on you to work on me? Is it because you think you are particularly smart, or is it because you think I am particularly stupid?

There is no excuse for treating me like an idiot like this. You know damn well that nearly identical arguments from other religions failed to convince you that those other religions are true, so you had no excuse for threatening me with Hell like that. You should know exactly how easily I can dismiss those threats because you dismiss threats like that all the time.

4 Likes

Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:38am On Apr 30, 2017
More contributions please
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:11pm On Apr 30, 2017

cc : lalasticlala
Re: Criticism Of Atheist Arguments : Introducing 'Not- God Of The Gaps' by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:43am On May 10, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“pastor Adeboye Needs To Sleep With One Of His Church Members” – Kemi Olunloyo / Prayers To Crucify The Flesh Daily And Be Holy. / Which Is Really Haram, Urine Touch Your Body Or Exposing Your Balls? Muslims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.