Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

My Wife's English Is Terrible! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Wife's English Is Terrible! (8782 Views)

3 Days After Our Wedding, My Wife Can't Stop Crying / How To Deal With A Terrible Maid? / Could My Wife Be Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Ekpara: 4:32pm On Jan 06, 2010
My wife's english is terrible.I knew this before we got married but i thought she could develop herself to improve her language skills.Two years after, it is still the same.She does not look at developing that aspect as an important issue.
This is really giving me some concern.
Please, advise on a way forward.orward.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by denzel2009: 4:36pm On Jan 06, 2010
Slate and Chalk.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by iice(f): 4:48pm On Jan 06, 2010
It is done. Erhhh no use crying over spilled milk, so i'll restrain myself lol.

Maybe encourage her to read more and watch more english movies/documentaries/news. Talk to her in english. Encourage her to practice on you.

1 Like

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jan 06, 2010
Take her to an adult literacy school, that will help.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2010
start by interacting with her always in english language, above all anytime she makes a mistake while speaking please correct her in love! also note that impeccable english is not a pre-requisite for good marriage.
Goodluck as she improves

1 Like

Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by ifyalways(f): 5:26pm On Jan 06, 2010
Ekpara:

My wife's english is terrible.I knew this before we got married but i thought she could develop herself to improve her language skills.Two years after, it is still the same.She does not look at developing that aspect as an important issue.

What have u done to encourage her to improve since the past 2 yrs?
This is a good advice.
Akaraoku$:

start by interacting with her always in english language, above all anytime she makes a mistake while speaking please correct her in love! also note that impeccable english is not a pre-requisite for good marriage.
Goodluck as she improves
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Busybody2(f): 7:15pm On Jan 06, 2010
denzel2009:

Slate and Chalk.

lol cheesy grin cheesy
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by erbdol(m): 6:08pm On Jan 07, 2010
The service of an english teacher is needed here
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2010
I can teach her for you if you can trust me with her grin.
What's her level of education by the way?
Remember that English is not and is never your language. I hope you understand what she tries to communicate. If you do thatr is enough, get her novels to read and newspapers also. She will pick up before you can say e.j.a.culate.

Do not let the mastery of another man's language of lack of it break your union. I am sure she speaks your language without mistakes.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by CarlosVent(m): 6:29pm On Jan 07, 2010
the evening Adult Education will help very much well or a private teacher dat wil be coming when u wil be around in ur house
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by NnaNna4(m): 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2010
1.teach her urself by high-lighting the salient features (especially pronunciation)
mind u lectures starts anytime blunder happens or

2 hire female corper(s) to do d work especially if ur wife is impatient or argumentative
caution; hire ugly corpers o o o ! tori olowu!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 07, 2010
just a question, didn't u notice that before u married her?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by agabaI23(m): 6:38pm On Jan 07, 2010
rokiatu:

just a question, didn't u notice that before u married her?
When did it become a law that one will not marry another if one cannot speak English?
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by 0hsisi: 6:42pm On Jan 07, 2010
Ekpara:

You obviously married her for some other things besides her English skills
Accept her the way she is first and foremost because there's a chance she'll never change.
There's a girl that was called Omo eko in this forum,despite her many years in the USA and college education in the States she still speaks and writes English like her native Ijebu dialect and I think she's now happily  married too.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jan 07, 2010
agabaI23:

When did it become a law that one will not marry another if one cannot speak English?
sorry did you even understand my question? he knows his wife English was terrible
before he married her, then why is he causing noise here? why can't he hired
a special teacher to teach her or something undecided
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by fifi09(f): 6:50pm On Jan 07, 2010
LOL @ Slate and Chalk, that was hella funny!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by rascalo: 7:15pm On Jan 07, 2010
sorry
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by segzicres(m): 7:21pm On Jan 07, 2010
eyah!!! sori, all the weapon of mass destruction did their work.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by akin101: 7:28pm On Jan 07, 2010
na one thing wey i dey fear be dat
u go go one big boy event
make she come embarrass u for dia
kai
o boy dat sweet thing no allow u see road at all

wen u dey comot u must leave am for house o

its sad but it would be very difficult to change such things in a woman u ve married.
if she is not willing to learn on her own or understand the reason for the needed change o boy
u go need drastic measures o!!!
most of them maintain old bad habits and show u new things u never knew they had
cool cool cool shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by akin101: 7:29pm On Jan 07, 2010
crazy and stubborn creatures but we still love em sha
grin
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by franko2: 7:31pm On Jan 07, 2010
A bit of perspective here please! English is only a medium of communication, as in language - igbo, hausa, yoruba etc comes to mind as comparison. So, please, this person has not said his wife has a handicap, or is brainless, or unintelligent.

Remember that please!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by erebie(m): 7:33pm On Jan 07, 2010
Always try to use English with her.This what u would have done long time ago
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by obstead200(m): 7:33pm On Jan 07, 2010
I once dated a girl who speaks horrrible english. she practically murders the language with every sentence. She is a university undergraduate.

Her sin would have been pardonable, but she never agrees she is wrong.
The stupidity became so unbearable that I eventually dumped her. (not for that reason alone though)

@ poster,
Just cope with it. provided she is willing to learn, teach her patiently.
In fact I guarantee you will get a kick out of correcting her constantly (sometimes with small yabbings) until she is perfect.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Smi1(m): 7:37pm On Jan 07, 2010
LOL, why the stress was he not aware of her english skills before marrying her abi, the guy wan make U turn or what ??
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Ekiti1000: 7:39pm On Jan 07, 2010
encourage her to take learning serious, there's no one who can't improve, do more on your part
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by Outstrip(f): 7:43pm On Jan 07, 2010
Poor woman. Was she speaking queen's English when you decided to marry her? Please don't make her feel inferior with your own inferiority complex
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by chiogo(f): 7:45pm On Jan 07, 2010
0hsisi:

You obviously married her for some other things besides her English skills
Accept her the way she is first and foremost because there's a chance she'll never change.
There's a girl that was called Omo eko in this forum,despite her many years in the USA and college education in the States she still speaks and writes English like her native Ijebu dialect and I think she's now happily  married too.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin She's still on this forum oo. . .with another user name.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by koolchicco: 7:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
@OP

You can take a woman outta the Village but u can't take the Village outta the woman, unfortunately.

Slate and Chalk have already been suggested, but I can only add that u enroll her in the evening primary school as well and,

buy her 'madam koi koi' sandals and sew a 'double patched-pocket-oversize' gown for her at least to feel a sense of kindergarten.

Hope this helps!
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by gentlegg(m): 7:46pm On Jan 07, 2010
denzel2009:

Slate and Chalk.
O boy, you funny well well, anyway, not-bad advice.

Akaraoku$:

Goodluck as she improves
Best advice.
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by ogb5(m): 7:51pm On Jan 07, 2010
Buy this book for her "English Without Tears" by Elizabeth Pryse

and study it with her
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by fifi09(f): 7:56pm On Jan 07, 2010
@ koolchicco: Too funny!

Seriously, I think she'll be too embarrassed to use Slate and Chalk smiley
Re: My Wife's English Is Terrible! by MAYOWAAK: 7:59pm On Jan 07, 2010
YOUR WIFE'S DEFICIENCY IN SPEAKING ENGLISH SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE BECAUSE THAT HAS NOT MADE HER LESS INTELLIGENT AND LOVING.OF WHAT USE IS A WIFE THAT HAS A FLAWLESS COMMAND OF THE ENGLISH LANGUGE BUT LACKS THE QUALITIES OF A GOOD WIFE?

MARRIAGE IS FOR BETTER FOR WORSE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Avoid In-law's Problem - I Need Ideas / Tips On It / Advice Needed! Am I So Picky As Regards To This Issue? / Real House Wives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.