Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,261 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently (33263 Views)

Learn how to Speak Hausa Language Fluently / The Lords Prayer In Urhobo Language / The Origin Of Urhobo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by DonBobes(m): 7:12pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
I stumbled across a video of a white woman who can speak Urhobo fluently like someone who grew up in the village. She was speaking it with pride and all the features of a native speaker were there. I don't know her or where she grew up but I found the video fascinating. I am aware that there are many whites that can speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. But this is Urhobo, a language that many of its people hardly speak (refer to my post on the dearth of Urhobo language), and so it is very intriguing. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf5glkJddSE

Urhobo people: Speak Urhobo today! Learn Urhobo if you can't speak it yet! Be proud of your culture and identity! Don't let someone else be proud of it on your behalf!

Urhobo Wadoo!!! Mesiaghware o!

**NB: Urhobo is a language spoken by the Urhobo/Isoko people of Delta State, Nigeria.

Op i know you will find this hard to believe just last month i was at the airport to fly for my treatment with my wife then low and behold i saw one cute white girl of5-6 years old. What baffled me is that her white parents. Kept speaking hausa with her. So i was like say this pikin no hear English ni( I found out to be true). Because the mother spoke to her in hausa and this little girl responded back in hausa. Jesus
Worst scenerio is that this girl kept conversations with her mother in hausa and when her mother tried to ask her something in English she doesn't answer( because she doesn't understand English) only hausa she de blow like wind.
I was almost rushed to the hospital because na only faint remain i for faint that day wahalai op

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by slimfit1(m): 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2017
I speak English big deal.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 7:33pm On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
Na uvwie u just speak just now?
yes it means May God do it for you.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Neroski(f): 7:35pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Area roll call:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Abeg make I register my presence

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2017
Irunmole:

@Efewestern, the best way to a learn a language, especially your mother tongue, Uvwie (Urhobo)is to make a conscious effort at speaking, listening to and interacting with speakers of the language both young and old. With time, you'll become proficient and adept at speaking it to the extent that you'll probably be spicing up your words and sentences with proverbs and idioms learnt from seasoned speakers of Uvwie. The first step is always the most difficult but courageous one to take. Osonobrugwe dabo fio keye!

Thanks for the insight, I think my challenges is finding those to speak it with, I can hear very well but speaking is the problem my neighbors is uvwie and I do listen to there conversation.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by glossy6(f): 7:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
Ishilove:
Do you understand the language? cheesy
I am Igbo but I understand and speak the language.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Ishilove: 7:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
glossy6:

I am Igbo but I understand and speak the language.
Were you raised among the Urhobo?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Aphex(m): 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

Refer to an earlier post I made on this thread, on the first page. I suggested watching some Urhobo movies. If possible, get and pay an Urhobo tutor if you can afford it.

Try and learn it for the sake of your identity! Language is everything and as an Urhoboman, your language should never elude you.
Okay. Thanks.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Neroski(f): 8:27pm On Apr 30, 2017
younglawya:
i wasnt even even included in the list of Uhrobo people on nairaland cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Lol. U look like a Yoruba guy
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by otokx(m): 8:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
Delta State University ought to have an Institute or and research center dedicates to Urhobo language. They should also have a department for that. Learning Urhobo is on my to do list.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Grace2love: 8:54pm On Apr 30, 2017
we kobiruo iwho me I am happy to see this tread and I am also proud to associate with you people.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Leebeedo(m): 8:55pm On Apr 30, 2017
I'm urhobo oh and I understand the language very well but cannot speak. embarassed
I think that lady is related to the ibru family.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 9:23pm On Apr 30, 2017
Leebeedo:
I'm urhobo oh and I understand the language very well but cannot speak. embarassed
I think that lady is related to the Hebrews family.
lol.. You mean Ibru family
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by HashtagMoniker(m): 9:31pm On Apr 30, 2017
They have been so many cases of people who after suffering stroke, develop certain skills that they have never had before or some begin speaking another language they didn't speak previously. It could be that is what happened.
Am just joking ooo cheesy
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Jamean(f): 9:42pm On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
u have to learn central urhobo instead o

Them no gree speak anyone to us...
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by 4C2215131: 10:11pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
I stumbled across a video of a white woman who can speak Urhobo fluently like someone who grew up in the village. She was speaking it with pride and all the features of a native speaker were there. I don't know her or where she grew up but I found the video fascinating. I am aware that there are many whites that can speak Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo. But this is Urhobo, a language that many of its people hardly speak (refer to my post on the dearth of Urhobo language), and so it is very intriguing. See video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf5glkJddSE

Urhobo people: Speak Urhobo today! Learn Urhobo if you can't speak it yet! Be proud of your culture and identity! Don't let someone else be proud of it on your behalf!

Urhobo Wadoo!!! Mesiaghware o!
**NB: Urhobo is a language spoken by the Urhobo/Isoko people of Delta State, Nigeria.

She's Barr. Akpofure's wife. You think she's good? You should hear her daughters, you'd be totally amazed...talk about beautiful ladies who'd "sell" you via speaking Urhobo language.

2 Likes

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by 4C2215131: 10:18pm On Apr 30, 2017
lsoul:
undecidedYOU all have been deceived that's not her talking. if only you understand and watch her lips.

She's the one! Familiar with the fam.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 10:25pm On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

yes it means May God do it for you.
hmmmmm, I don't understand and speak Uvwie grin cheesy that's why I asked
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Area roll call:
Sanchez01 Efewestern Opharhe Onosprince DBriteLitehouse Scionofurhobo Caringguy Leriebloom Igholize DavidEsq Fifthcolumnist Efeski Sevantex mulattoclaroo Daphey Amberon Mavor Afriifa K9ine Nairaman66 Drstainlex Erumena Akoko11 BraniacX Sexina851 LKO Gmacnoms Dragon3 Basilovie
present!
urhobo wado!

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by 4C2215131: 10:34pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

For a mixed breed. She looks too white though. So vwe wo hwo r'Uvwie. Me yererin O!

She isn't mixed. She be pure oyibo that married a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 10:39pm On Apr 30, 2017
otokx:
Delta State University ought to have an Institute or and research center dedicates to Urhobo language. They should also have a department for that. Learning Urhobo is on my to do list.

Urhobo is already being studied in Delta State University, Abraka, College of Education, Warri, and College of Education, Mosogar.

In DELSU, it is the only native language being studied for now.

We also have Urhobo Language Institute, Abraka and many other Urhobo research centers across Urhoboland.

The problem is not of the existence of these centers/schools but whether they are patronised by Urhobos. Many Urhobos would rather stay at home than study Urhobo language at the tertiary institution level. Those who can't speak Urhobo would never make the initiative to register at the many Urhobo language centers. Even the one at Abraka is hardly functional due to lack of patronage. It would have been closed down but for dedication on the side of its proprietor, Sir Ukere.

Urhobos need to change their orientation really.

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by nearest(m): 10:41pm On Apr 30, 2017
Her father was a senior advocate of nigeria, Akpofure. She's a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by purplekayc(m): 10:48pm On Apr 30, 2017
Da fu#k ,I must be dreaming
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Onegai(f): 10:52pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

Urhobo is already being studied in Delta State University, Abraka, College of Education, Warri, and College of Education, Mosogar.

In DELSU, it is the only native language being studied for now.

We also have Urhobo Language Institute, Abraka and many other Urhobo research centers across Urhoboland.

The problem is not of the existence of these centers/schools but whether they are patronised by Urhobos. Many Urhobos would rather stay at home than study Urhobo language at the tertiary institution level. Those who can't speak Urhobo would never make the initiative to register at the many Urhobo language centers. Even the one at Abraka is hardly functional due to lack of patronage. It would have been closed down but for dedication on the side of its proprietor, Sir Ukere.

Urhobos need to change their orientation really.

All my in-laws, not one speaks. And they grew up in Warri. Even my language, hubby discourages me from speaking (he and I continually fight over having an English name for the kids on the Birth certificate, so far I have been winning with only traditional names). I have made my mind up, I'm hiring a teacher for my kids once they hit 5. They should be trilingual by 7. Japanese and Polynesian kids and Indian and Dutch kids are happily speaking English and their native language, why not mine? We must even attend festivals sef.

2 Likes

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by darlenese(f): 11:10pm On Apr 30, 2017
My aunt is half caste, she speak Urhobo very well ,
She doesnt have any black features , she is pure whitey

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by darlenese(f): 11:15pm On Apr 30, 2017
otokx:

For ur info they already have a dept.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by darlenese(f): 11:22pm On Apr 30, 2017
Irunmole:

Meme omo r'uvwie, Urhumarho (Pop), Ugberikoko (Mum). The fairness of her skin has no connotation with anything. The dominant gene of her mother, a white woman (elementary biology and genetics) far outshone that of her recessive dad's gene. Her children look darker than her in the context of your observation.

Bros u sure say u be Uvwie ? Ur spellings give me heart break !
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 11:23pm On Apr 30, 2017
otokx:
Urhobo language is the only indigenous language that is being study in Delta State University Abraka
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by darlenese(f): 11:27pm On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
Uvwie, Okpe, Jesse, Oghara, Mossoger, even some part of Agbon And Uwheru Urhobo sound like French to my Ear. I just can't stop loving Udu and Ughievwen Urhobo it sound like music to my ear even though am from Olomu kingdom and my Mum from Uwheru kingdom.

When I was younger I usually describe the Udu language as "fried Urhobo"

Guess what ! As an adult I still think so.

As for the Okpe language , I think its unique , because if u can understand okpe, u will be able to interprete urhobo and isoko wella, unfortunately , those who understand urhobo or Isoko can't interprete a thing in Okpe !

#Okpe Agbameni!!!
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nobody: 11:40pm On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
it really pains me that I can't speak fluently..
but I dey try in terms of understanding sha

E dey pain me wella too.I dey regret seriously sey I noh sabi speak my language fluently.
But I noh dey relent o.I even join Whatsapp group for the marra sef.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 30, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

present!

urhobo wado!

Emo re Urhobo,e nyerovwa!!!

1 Like

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nobody: 11:50pm On Apr 30, 2017
This video is a wake-up call for me.I am really ashamed of myself.Though,I don't have any single English name,only Urhobo name,I can't speak Urhobo fluently again.
Though,I can understand the language,but I need improve on my speaking/proper understanding of the rich Urhobo proverbs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation / Yoruba Obas: I Stand By My Ranking — Alake / Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.