Stats: 3,194,335 members, 7,954,369 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:46 PM

White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently (34189 Views)

Learn how to Speak Hausa Language Fluently / The Lords Prayer In Urhobo Language / The Origin Of Urhobo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by alfredfrddy(m): 12:14am On May 01, 2017
This is what I understand as speaking in tongue.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Irunmole(m): 1:43am On May 01, 2017
darlenese:

Bros u sure say u be Uvwie ? Ur spellings give me heart break !

I'm 100% unadulterated son of Uvwie to the core. What else would you like to know? My spellings? What about them?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Irunmole(m): 2:07am On May 01, 2017
Sanchez01:

Matty, that is quite harsh. Don't blame them, really. I was born and bred in Lagos too and my Yorùbá would beat that of a typical Yorùbá man who is not aligned with Osun and Oyo hands down, but it didn't stop me in any way. I like the idea of being multilingual as opposed to being monolingual. I could speak Hausa perfectly at some point, but all I have left of it is when I'm bargaining steaks, mostly on Friday nights after work. Lol.

The acquisition of an L2 (second language) isn't the problem, but forsaking the L1 (mother tongue) while holding on to L2.
Just like you, I speak perfect Yoruba and also have C4, i.e. the old style GCE O level WASCE school cert credit in it. I was one of the best performing students in Yoruba language in my secondary school. My proficiency in Uvwie (Urhobo) is also excellent as it was the only language you were allowed to speak in the house either with my dad, mum, and my maternal and paternal grandparents. There were no ifs or but about it.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by akoko11: 6:09am On May 01, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

present!

urhobo wado!

Yes, like this like this e, I Don show. Op I must commend your efforts in showcasing Warri n Delta as a whole to the whole world. May Oghene, Tamaraebi, Oritse bless u and give you Ufuama ra akpo both now and for ever more Amen. Tiri gbosa for, gbosa! gbosa!! gbosa!!! Tiri ohonyi grin For ur enemies and enemies of Delta ohonyi! Ohonyi!! Ohonyi!!!
Honestly, Its time the urhobos speaks their language, I remember when I was still an undergraduate. Many urhobo students can not speak urhobo, but you will hear them rap Yoruba and Hausa, this is not to say that speaking other languages is bad but speaking other people's languages to the detriment of ur mother tongue is very bad.

Urhobo ovo_ovo

Mesiaghware iya!

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Folksyharry(m): 7:52am On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Lol. Sadly, he is not alone. Many Urhobo youths barely understand the language. Speaking it is even a different thing entirely.

We are working hard to undo the damage done to us by colonialism and negative attitudes towards our language.

I have a cousin who doesn't even understand urhobo not to talk of speaking.
My dad only speak to me with urhobo and it helps me a lot. Parents and schools need to do more in teaching children our language. I recall back then in secondary school we had a passionate urhobo teacher but I don't know if they still teach the language in the primary and secondary schools.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Folksyharry(m): 7:54am On May 01, 2017
Sanchez01:

I'm telling you! Better fear grip me! The accent is so pure that without the video you would think the person talking is your everyday Urhobo woman.

My brother was surprised at the accent too when I showed him the video.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 8:17am On May 01, 2017
Urhobo Wadoo. Let us endeavor to preserve our culture. Urhobo language must not go into extinction. Wadoo.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Sexina851(f): 8:42am On May 01, 2017
Fifthcolumnist:

present!
urhobo wado!
Highly representing
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 9:23am On May 01, 2017
Folksyharry:

I have a cousin who doesn't even understand urhobo not to talk of speaking.
My dad only speak to me with urhobo and it helps me a lot. Parents and schools need to do more in teaching children our language. I recall back then in secondary school we had a passionate urhobo teacher but I don't know if they still teach the language in the primary and secondary schools.
Which school was that? Was it within Warri?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 9:49am On May 01, 2017
otokx:
Delta State University ought to have an Institute or and research center dedicates to Urhobo language. They should also have a department for that. Learning Urhobo is on my to do list.
Yes, there is. The University offers degree in Urhobo and linguistics.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 9:54am On May 01, 2017
4C2215131:

She's Barr. Akpofure's wife. You think she's good? You should hear her daughters, you'd be totally amazed...talk about beautiful ladies who'd "sell" you via speaking Urhobo language.

No! This is Nancy Akpofure, Late Akpofure's daughter. She has an Elder brother, Chief. Paul Akpofure. I heard the lived at home in Delta during Childhood and school age where they learnt the culture. They're half caste (Her mother is white) based in the UK.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 9:56am On May 01, 2017
4C2215131:

She isn't mixed. She be pure oyibo that married a Nigerian.
No, she's late Akpofure's daughter. Check Nancy Akpofure on Facebook.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 10:05am On May 01, 2017
Evestar200:
Uvwie, Okpe, Jesse, Oghara, Mossoger, even some part of Agbon And Uwheru Urhobo sound like French to my Ear. I just can't stop loving Udu and Ughievwen Urhobo it sound like music to my ear even though am from Olomu kingdom and my Mum from Uwheru kingdom.
I'm a native speaker of Ughievwen(and Udu) . I speak Ughelli too. grin
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Folksyharry(m): 10:06am On May 01, 2017
Opharhe:
Which school was that? Was it within Warri?

Unity School Agbarho
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 10:47am On May 01, 2017
Folksyharry:

Unity School Agbarho
OK. We kobiruo Oniovo
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 11:25am On May 01, 2017
Folksyharry:

Unity School Agbarho
Are u from Agbarho?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 3:29pm On May 01, 2017
darlenese:

When I was younger I usually describe the Udu language as "fried Urhobo"

Guess what ! As an adult I still think so.

As for the Okpe language , I think its unique , because if u can understand okpe, u will be able to interprete urhobo and isoko wella, unfortunately , those who understand urhobo or Isoko can't interprete a thing in Okpe !

#Okpe Agbameni!!!
Don't go there o, I love Udu and Ughievwen Urhobo very much.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Folksyharry(m): 3:30pm On May 01, 2017
Nicho118:
Are u from Agbarho?

Yes
Ehwere village specifically.
I grew up in Agbarho
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by darlenese(f): 3:33pm On May 01, 2017
Evestar200:

I never said I don't like them either embarassed
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 3:35pm On May 01, 2017
Opharhe:
I'm a native speaker of Ughievwen(and Udu) . I speak Ughelli too. grin
Each time I want to reply my mum in Urhobo , I will speak Udu/Ughievwen Urhobo for her and she will ask me are u from there? and I will answer her back I just love the language that's Y i speak it.

My mum doesn't want me to speak Udu/ Ughievwen for her , she said the language is an upside down language and that language is the reason why I speak Urhobo nothing else.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 3:36pm On May 01, 2017
darlenese:

I never said I don't like them either embarassed
I thought u said so tongue
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 3:37pm On May 01, 2017
Folksyharry:

Yes Ehwere village specifically. I grew up in Agbarho
Same here
I'm from Uvwiamuge village
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 4:11pm On May 01, 2017
Evestar200:
Each time I want to reply my mum in Urhobo , I will speak Udu/Ughievwen Urhobo for her and she will ask me are u from there? and I will answer her back I just love the language that's Y i speak it.

My mum doesn't want me to speak Udu/ Ughievwen for her , she said the language is an upside down language and that language is the reason why I speak Urhobo nothing else.
Abeg speak the dialect wey you like, provided the other person can understand. No language is upside down. Ughievwen and Udu is melodious and speakers use a lot of idioms and proverbs.

My Dad is from Ughelli and Ughievwen while my Mum is Ughievwen on both sides. I learnt Urhobo through my Mum's people hence Ughievwen became my first language. I can easily speak Ughelli too but Ughievwen just too sweet, I only speak Ughelli if I see you're not too grounded in Urhobo to flow with Ughievwen.

If you Sabi Ughievwen, you easily know other dialects because the dialect is kindda deep.

Don't be discouraged Ivwioni vwe Omote(my sister).
Nice to meet you.
Doh!
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 4:12pm On May 01, 2017
Evestar200:
you make sense jare.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 4:26pm On May 01, 2017
Opharhe:
Abeg speak the dialect wey you like, provided the other person can understand. No language is upside down. Ughievwen and Udu is melodious and speakers use a lot of idioms and proverbs.

My Dad is from Ughelli and Ughievwen while my Mum is Ughievwen on both sides. I learnt Urhobo through my Mum's people hence Ughievwen became my first language. I can easily speak Ughelli too but Ughievwen just too sweet, I only speak Ughelli if I see you're not too grounded in Urhobo to flow with Ughievwen.

If you Sabi Ughievwen, you easily know other dialects because the dialect is kindda deep.

Don't be discouraged Ivwioni vwe Omote(my sister).
Nice to meet you.
Doh!
My Mum is an Uwheru but she doesn't speak Uwheru and she barely understand the language but if na Olomu she dy chop am well.
Olomu sound like music too but not as Udu/Ughievwen.
Even when I was in school Na Udu/ Ughievwen I dy speak give My friends unless I want to talk to Bayelsa Urhobo people that's when I speak general Urhobo to their understanding .
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 5:16pm On May 01, 2017
Evestar200:
My Mum is an Uwheru but she doesn't speak Uwheru and she barely understand the language but if na Olomu she dy chop am well.
Even when I was in school Na Udu/ Ughievwen I dy speak give My friends unless I want to talk to Bayelsa Urhobo people that's when I speak general Urhobo to their understanding .

Do you understand Isoko?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 5:53pm On May 01, 2017
fratermathy:

Do you understand Isoko?
Little cheesy cheesy grin
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 8:18am On May 02, 2017
Evestar200:
Wow! You be correct Urhobo babe o. I'll like to know you more.
Facebook?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by glossy6(f): 9:30am On May 02, 2017
Ishilove:
Were you raised among the Urhobo?
Yes
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by BraniacX(m): 4:44pm On May 02, 2017
fratermathy:
Area roll call:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie

ISOKO WADO!
URHOBO WADO!
siegwareh!!! cool
make i use style mark attendance register fesst cheesy

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 6:35pm On May 02, 2017
Opharhe:
Wow! You be correct Urhobo babe o. I'll like to know you more.
Facebook?
pm me
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Opharhe: 10:15pm On May 02, 2017
Evestar200:
pm me
Alright

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. / Nobody Is Above The Law - Dethroned Emir, Ado Bayero Breaks Silence / "Killer Herdsmen Are Like Nigerians": Pastor Shares Accident Scene Experience