Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,837 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently (33330 Views)

Learn how to Speak Hausa Language Fluently / The Lords Prayer In Urhobo Language / The Origin Of Urhobo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 9:27am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

You also need to select the villages o. Make sure the integrity of Urhobo in the village is still present because in many villages, Pidgin is becoming the main thing now.

Go with villages in Southern/Eastern Urhoboland. Leave those villages near Warri; those ones have been compromised.

lolx.. no be our fault, years from now I doubt if there would be any village in urhobo again, with the way we are developing.

I prefer some villages in ughelle, those villages still speak urhobo well and if you speak pidgin they'd call you oyinbo

cc lalasticlala and seun do the needful.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 9:30am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

I am more concerned with the youths. I'm aware that the ekpakos can speak Urhobo quite well. The youths, on the other hand, may not fall within the reach of your assertion. They are the ones who will pass Urhobo down to the next generation so I take their apathy towards the language as a threat to Urhobo ethnic identity.

yes I get your point, something really needs to be done about this, out of every 10 urhobo youth 2 can speak very well, 2 can only hear , the remaining six na OYO.

I think nothing can be done about this, if you have suggestions on how to tackle this issue free free to drop it.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 9:32am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

lolx.. no be our fault, years from now I doubt if there would be any village in urhobo again, with the way we are developing.

I prefer some villages in ughelle, those villages still speak urhobo well and if you speak pidgin they'd call you oyinbo

like odorubu

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 9:33am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

You are very correct! Ughelli villages still speak Urhobo. However, Ughelli main town has been compromised as well. Although not yet as bad as Warri and Sapele.

Areas like Orogun, Agbarha, Ughievwen, Olomu, Evwreni, Uwherun and nearby areas can be relied upon for now.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 9:34am On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
like odorubu

Yes. Some of the villages in Ijaw areas like Patani and Bayelsa can still speak Urhobo much better than some in central Urhoboland.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 9:38am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

You are very correct! Ughelli villages still speak Urhobo. However, Ughelli main town has been compromised as well. Although not yet as bad as Warri and Sapele.

Areas like Orogun, Agbarha, Ughievwen, Olomu, Evwreni, Uwherun and nearby areas can be relied upon for now.
Uwherun? those people dialect go hard for me to learn o..
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 9:42am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

I think you should remove orogun from your list, na mixture of pidgin and urhobo them they do there..

lalasticlala and seun oya do the needful
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 9:45am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

yes I get your point, something really needs to be done about this, out of every 10 urhobo youth 2 can speak very well, 2 can only hear , the remaining six na OYO.

I think nothing can be done about this, if you have suggestions on how to tackle this issue free free to drop it.

I don tire for our matters. The reality is very sad.

The only solution is to engage in a mass campaign so that Urhobos can learn to appreciate the language better. We can use the Internet to draw attention and create a new Urhobo nationalism. That is why I like using nairaland to post some issues so that if the posts make Frontpage, they can reach out to many Urhobos. A post like this will go a long way if Lalasticlala or Seun puts it on Frontpage.

Apart from creating the consciousness, other Urhobos are creating movies, music, cartoons, oratory, etc, in Urhobo language to make learning the language easy. So the tools to learn are already there, they just need to be used by those who have taken interest in the language.

Again, we need to sensitise those in Urhobo towns and villages on the need to J'Urhobo! If prominent and very wealthy people are involved, an Urhobocentric ideology can be launched using media houses and billboards.

Urhobo should also be taken more seriously at the secondary school level. It should be a core subject for every Urhobo.

These, and many more, will, with time, correct some of the problems we have. I just hope that we all do our bits in actualising this.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 9:46am On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
Uwherun? those people dialect go hard for me to learn o..
Lol. Very true but if you understand their dialect, you will understand and speak Urhobo and Isoko very well at the same time. grin
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 9:48am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

I think you should remove orogun from your list, na mixture of pidgin and urhobo them they do there..

lalasticlala and seun oya do the needful

Chai! Even Orogun don join badt gang too?

Oghene biko oo!
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 9:52am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

Orogun people that speak Ukwuani as their first language? Uvwheru that their Urhobo look like foreign language to my ear, even my mum that comes from there barely understand the language but she don't know how to Speak it, I prefer Olomu Urhobo cus is closer to Agbarho Urhobo which is the general Urhobo.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 9:55am On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
Orogun people that speak Ukwuani as their first language?
they are bilingual

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 9:57am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

I don tire for our matters. The reality is very sad.

The only solution is to engage in a mass campaign so that Urhobos can learn to appreciate the language better. We can use the Internet to draw attention and create a new Urhobo nationalism. That is why I like using nairaland to post some issues so that if the posts make Frontpage, they can reach out to many Urhobos. A post like this will go a long way if Lalasticlala or Seun puts it on Frontpage.

Apart from creating the consciousness, other Urhobos are creating movies, music, cartoons, oratory, etc, in Urhobo language to make learning the language easy. So the tools to learn are already there, they just need to be used by those who have taken interest in the language.

Again, we need to sensitise those in Urhobo towns and villages on the need to J'Urhobo! If prominent and very wealthy people are involved, an Urhobocentric ideology can be launched using media houses and billboards.

Urhobo should also be taken more seriously at the secondary school level. It should be a core subject for every Urhobo.

These, and many more, will, with time, correct some of the problems we have. I just hope that we all do our bits in actualising this.

urhobo is been thought in our secondary school but not upto the senior secondary level and the teachers usually feel reluctant teaching it. av been to most schools in urhobo land and I know what am saying.

I will suggest we keep some native urhobo song in our phone or laptops. for me I have some songs like Jomawotor by Jonhson adjah and some other native songs, so am using that as another avenue to master the language.

I will also suggest we have regular meeting with parents, they are the only onces who can help in this, I was with my little niece some days back and they were asking me to teach them how to speak urhobo ,the little child even said it's not her fault that we refuse teaching her urhobo.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 9:59am On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
Orogun people that speak Ukwuani as their first language?

orogun doesn't speak ukuani as first language, only some part have some ukwuani words in there language, likewise ukwuani who also miss urhobo with there's.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 10:00am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

orogun doesn't speak ukuani as first language, only some part have some ukwuani words in there language, likewise ukwuani who also miss urhobo with there's.

that means the town is off the list
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 10:01am On Apr 30, 2017
thread like this won't make fp, but if it's about those major tribe.. voome

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 10:02am On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
they are bilingual
I hardly see orogun people that speak Urhobo

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 10:03am On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
that means the town is off the list

yes sure,, but I just corrected her, orogun still speak urhobo language, there case can be related to that of ofoni people who speaks ijaw and urhobo together .

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 10:12am On Apr 30, 2017
Agbarho should have been the best place to learn urhobo.. but pidgin don suck the town

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 10:13am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

have Orogun people around me, have never heard them one day wey them speak Urhobo, some do bear Urhobo name but never speak the language , I taught one of them is from Obiaruku in Ukwuani until he lost his dad and they told me he is from Orogun,am still shock till today because there was no sign of Urhobo in him.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 10:26am On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
have Orogun people around me, have never heard them one day wey them speak Urhobo, some do bear Urhobo name but never speak the language , I taught one of them is from Obiaruku in Ukwuani until he lost his dad and they told me he is from Orogun,am still shock till today because there was no sign of Urhobo in him.

Orogun people speak Urhobo. It's only some villages in Orogun that codemix Ukwuani. Maybe your friends or the Orogun people you've met are from those areas where Ukwuani is dominant.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2017
Efewestern:

yes sure,, but I just corrected her, orogun still speak urhobo language, there case can be related to that of ofoni people who speaks ijaw and urhobo together .
even Ofoni People of Bayelsa Urhobo, speak Urhobo fluently than the Orogun people in Delta.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 10:28am On Apr 30, 2017
Nicho118:
Agbarho should have been the best place to learn urhobo.. but pidgin don suck the town

That's why I nor even bother put Agbarho sef. We speak their dialect as central Urhobo but their youths of today cannot even speak it!
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Efewestern: 10:30am On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:

yes he might be from orogun, but he his speaking the ukwuani language to you, or maybe he stayed in ukwuani or obiarukwu, the orogun language still maintain it's urhobo unique pattern thou some villages do mix little ukwuani with urhobo but orogun dialect is 86% urhobo.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
even Ofoni People of Bayelsa Urhobo, speak Urhobo fluently than the Orogun people in Delta.

I've met many people from central Orogun that blast Urhobo very well.

My former lecturer at DELSU, Dr. Awhefeada, is an Orogun man and he speaks Urhobo very well.

Sally Young, the famous Urhobo musician, is fro Orogun.

Although, there are some Orogun villages close to Amai and Abbi, like Agbarha-Orogun and Ukwuani is dominant there.
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Nicho118(m): 10:38am On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

That's why I nor even bother put Agbarho sef. We speak their dialect as central Urhobo but their youths of today cannot even speak it!
I'm a victim
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:

I've met many people from central Orogun that blast Urhobo very well.

My former lecturer at DELSU, Dr. Awhefeada, is an Orogun man and he speaks Urhobo very well.

Sally Young, the famous Urhobo musician, is fro Orogun.

Although, there are some Orogun villages close to Amai and Abbi, like Agbarha-Orogun and Ukwuani is dominant there.
is few of them.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by fratermathy(m): 1:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
Evestar200:
vwo ke wro bo me vwe vwen ode na?

Me ka vwro!
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by Evestar200(f): 2:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44, OAM4J, Obinoscopy : We nor suppose beg una like this for this thread o. Not many threads on our people make Frontpage or even trending. Please do us the honour of taking this one to the front.
vwo ke wro bo me vwe vwen ode na?
Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by pepperandsalt(m): 3:53pm On Apr 30, 2017
And my wife can't speak the language. Am vexing.

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by DavidEsq(m): 3:53pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Area roll call:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Lalasticlala
Baba, I gallant cool

Re: White Woman Speaks Urhobo Language Fluently by nairaman66(m): 3:56pm On Apr 30, 2017
fratermathy:
Area roll call:

Sanchez01
Efewestern
Opharhe
Onosprince
DBriteLitehouse
Scionofurhobo
Caringguy
Leriebloom
Igholize
DavidEsq
Fifthcolumnist
Efeski
Sevantex
mulattoclaroo
Daphey
Amberon
Mavor
Afriifa
K9ine
Nairaman66
Drstainlex
Erumena
Akoko11
BraniacX
Sexina851
LKO
Gmacnoms
Dragon3
Basilovie
Lalasticlala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

No Cooking With Fire In Benin Kingdom On Sunday / Slay Queen Took To Her Heels As Masquerade Moved Towards Her At An Event (Video) / Artificial Rain Making: How Is It Done?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55