Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,226 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students (25414 Views)

Parents To Withdraw Children From Madonna University Over Students’ Detention / Covenant University Sex Scandal: Photos, Audio Of Adooh Emmanuel / Lady Expelled From Covenant University In 300L, Becomes Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by gudofuck231: 7:57pm On Apr 30, 2017
Statsocial:
Seun Joseph

Lawyers have advised the over 200 students of Covenant University, Ota, Ogun State, who were recently suspended for missing an Easter ‘Youth Alive’ programme to sue the institution.

The management of the school had placed the students on compulsory suspension for not taking part in the said retreat.

Some of the affected students, including a finalist, had said that the rules of their admission did not state that it was compulsory for them to attend the programme organised by the faith-based institution.

Since their suspension, several reactions had trailed the school’s action, with many asking the institution to recall the affected students.

Meanwhile, lawyers have asked parents of the suspended students to sue the school, saying that the institution’s action was a breach of the fundamental rights of the students to freedom of expression and worship.

A human rights lawyer, Mr. Jiti Ogunye, described the suspension of the students as illegal and unreasonable, saying it was an infringement on the rights of the students.

He said even though the owner of a university could set rules and regulations to guide the conduct of students in the school, the rules must be subject to the provisions of the constitution, relating to civil rights and liberty of the students.

He said, “My view is that this action of Covenant University is an infringement on the rights to freedom of religion and worship. Therefore, if tested against the provisions of the constitution, it would not stand, so for me, it is unconstitutional.

“But apart from the unconstitutionality of it, it is also not reasonable, because there is a part of administrative law that talks about unreasonableness of administrative action. If you look at it, it is so unreasonable.

“I’m not advising parents to sue them, I’m strongly encouraging them (parents) to sue the school, not only for themselves but for posterity. When somebody does something egregious and you allow it to pass, it becomes a monster. They can’t allow their rights to be so trampled with reckless abandon.”

Also, a legal practitioner, Liborous Oshoma, called on the parents of the affected students to immediately take the matter to court, saying they would need a restraining order from the court to stop the school management from enforcing the suspension.

He said any delay in taking that step or waiting to sue for damages would not be enough to compensate the students once they are deprived of writing the exam, noting that what happened was an infringement on their rights.

Oshoma explained that even though some persons would argue that once the students signed the dotted lines to obey the rules of the university, they had “signed away” their fundamental rights, he said, “The question is, can you indeed sign away your fundamental rights, because they are inalienable; like freedom of association, religion, worship, etc?

“You don’t just suspend a student writing a final year exam on the basis of flimsy excuse that he or she did not attend a religious programme. We should learn to know when to draw the line between religious gathering and academic activities, because the fundamentals and objectives of these universities are different from what the religious bodies stand for.

“I strongly advise the parents to sue the university authorities. In this case, damages would not be enough to compensate. That is why they should rush to court now to restrain the university from enforcing that suspension to allow the students participate in the exam.”

A lawyer and President of the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights, Mr. Malachy Ugwumadu, also advised the students to sue the school if they were sure there was no express provision in the school’s rulebook that they could be suspended for up to a year if they didn’t attend the institution’s religious activities.

He also cautioned private institutions, especially faith-based ones, against imposing stringent rules on the students as such rules would not enable the students to become “well-grounded” in the society.

He said, “If there is an express provision that the students can be suspended for a year because they fail to attend an activity, they might not be successful in the court of law.

“But, if there is no express provision in the contract, a course of action has arisen. They should go to the court to enforce their fundamental rights which have been breached. Personally, I’m seriously against the stringent rules in faith-based private universities, as they are making our youths not to be well-grounded. Pure academics makes just about 50 per cent of what the university is established for. It doesn’t make a complete person.”

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Chief Mike Ozekhome, appealed to the institution to temper justice with mercy and recall the suspended students, in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ, on whom the school was founded.

He said, “In Nigeria, there is freedom of religion, according to Section 38 of the Constitution. It provides that no citizen shall be discriminated against on the basis of their religion, sex and others. If, for instance, a Muslim was denied admission into Covenant University, they can sue the school.

“But once you become a student, you are bound by the contract you have entered into to obey the school’s rules and regulations. The law is called “voluntaire non fit injurie,” which means no person can complain of any harm caused by a contract to which they agreed to.

“Be that as it may, on compassionate grounds, the school can be lenient with the punishment. I appeal to the university to temper justice with mercy, especially as it is a Christian university which follows the doctrines of Jesus Christ. The doctrine of Christ is about mercy and forgiveness. The school should recall the suspended students, but warn them not to disobey its rules again.”

All efforts to reach the university’s Deputy Director, Corporate Communications, Mr. Kalu Igban, to know whether the school would consider recalling the suspended students proved abortive as he did not pick calls or messages sent to his phone by Saturday PUNCH.

Meanwhile, the school said on its Students Affairs section on its website that the vision it had for students made it imperative for it to pursue discipline vigorously.

“The high demand placed on discipline as a fundamental requirement for making a total graduate as embedded in the core values of Covenant University makes it imperative to pursue it with the required doggedness,” it said

http://www.citypeopleonline.com/lawyers-advise-parents-to-sue-covenant-university-over-suspension-of-200-students/

No native doctor can cure self poisoning, Na their money kill t.
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by stigmond(m): 8:03pm On Apr 30, 2017
Alero3Arubi:

You are a very passionate guy I see.

Why did you say?
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by wirinet(m): 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
Americana90:
The school is a "CHURCH SCHOOL" To attend YOU MUST BE CHURCHY! Hate being "CHURCHY"? Don't bother enrolling
False! The school is not a church school, the university is a Nigerian registered university accredited to run degree programs by Nigerian University Commission. It was not granted license to run a church school.
I think Nigerian University commission needs to look at the terms under which licenses were issued to Nigerian private universities, because soon we would have ISIS universities.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by Nobody: 8:09pm On Apr 30, 2017
lipsrsealed
stigmond:

Why did you say?
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by VERDA: 8:17pm On Apr 30, 2017
Ijobaorun:
Does the school force any parent to bring his or her child there? If the answer is no, then they should be ready to obey their rules and regulations at all cost as long as you are still under them.
It's not by force to go to private own schools.
If you want freedom, go to government schools.

Well.. .what you typed would have held water if it was clearly stated in their rule book that attending their programmes is compulsory.. .besides this is a higher institution for Christ sake and issues like this should not even arise.. .why don't they just decide to make the school an only winners member sch then. Even God is not this extreme or people for dey catch fire everyday.

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 30, 2017
Limitless72:

Which jesus picture...
Who told you those picture is JESUS...
Dats d picture of an actor...
And the truth be sey nah africans dey go hell pass...
The brain washing don dey too much jorr
I know bro. But nonetheless, they still seem to be passive when white people leave their hair to grow, but when a black man does it, na story.

3 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by wirinet(m): 8:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
Americana90:
In as much as I am not happy about their suspension, I think they ought to understand the institution they are in. It is a religious one for crying out loud!!!! If they never wanted all these they wouldnt have applied in the first place. Its COMMON SENSE!! It is a religious school and should be respected and seen as one. You want secularism? Go to federal, State, or other private secular schools like APTI. Its just COMMON SENSE. They werent forced to enroll
Covenant university did not register as a religious school, it registered as a secular university. If it wanted to promote winners church doctrines, it would not have needed NUC certification to issue secular degrees.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by ULSU003: 8:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
where is Femi Adeyeye.... ur people are bin oppressed here oooo!
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by CioAngels(f): 8:35pm On Apr 30, 2017
Are parents paying millions for their children to go for church programmes week long or to study? This is religious hypocrisy. and stealing in style if they have to pay for extra. year. Unfortunately we don,t have leaders to tell Oyedepo the truth becos he is one of them. l hope parents will get a sincere lawyer to handle the issue.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by bayelsaowei(m): 8:37pm On Apr 30, 2017
Opatoranking:
This just portray who you are.If you have the money go then why called it a glorified secondary
.,and the aspect of including Jesus just show you are a pauper.
what rubbish are you saying...should anybody be forced to serve God...

May I ask you...is secular education even godly ...

Nonsense..

Covenant university is a school for docile individuals..rubbish...
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by bayelsaowei(m): 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2017
wirinet:

False! The school is not a church school, the university is a Nigerian registered university accredited to run degree programs by Nigerian University Commission. It was not granted license to run a church school.
I think Nigerian University commission needs to look at the terms under which licenses were issued to Nigerian private universities, because soon we would have ISIS universities.
parents should sue the freaking university...its high time that is done..
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by Limitless72(m): 9:13pm On Apr 30, 2017
neoOduduwa:
I know bro. But nonetheless, they still seem to be passive when white people leave their hair to grow, but when a black man does it, na story.

They've made us believe when we mostly especially the male allow our hair to grow its means we are irresponsible....Even wen we relax our hair sef. Nah complain...

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by naijajobx: 9:33pm On Apr 30, 2017
I thought it was in the sch policy
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by amysucre: 10:00pm On Apr 30, 2017
Ijobaorun:
Does the school force any parent to bring his or her child there? If the answer is no, then they should be ready to obey their rules and regulations at all cost as long as you are still under them.
so you are saying cos they weren't forced to attend the school, they should obey rules and regulations that infringes their fundamental human rights? That's bad
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by wirinet(m): 10:01pm On Apr 30, 2017
naijajobx:
I thought it was in the sch policy
What school policy? School policy that all students must attend all winners chapel programs, including Sunday and Wednesday services, all special services, night vigils, cell meetings, unit meetings, etc.?
What about tithes, offerings and sacrifices, are these ones in the school policy too?
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by amysucre: 10:05pm On Apr 30, 2017
prettyboi1989:
the way the lawyers go loss the case like wrapper ehn. seriously the school has its rules and regulations, failure to abide by the rules comes with consequences. most people dont take time to go through the school's handbook, the rules there are evn more stringent that then ones they enforce. Now any aggrieved party seeking redress must first go through the school's handbook before deciding whether the case can be won in court or not
pretty boy, the Nigerian constitution is supreme and any other law that is inconsistent with the constitution is void. The constitution overrides any other rules or regulations

1 Like

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by chiraqDemon(m): 11:13pm On Apr 30, 2017
Cu nor just make at all
I beg my guys make dem nor go there they nor wan hear
Now dem go come back come b like its too childish or its just like our secondary school back then.

Nothin for do ma go there unless say dem de pay me to go d school.
Ppl wey dey dia de try o
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by chiraqDemon(m): 11:21pm On Apr 30, 2017
amysucre:
pretty boy, the Nigerian constitution is supreme and any other law that is inconsistent with the constitution is void. The constitution overrides any other rules or regulations
I dont think that will hold in the co7rt
Its just the handbooks were handed out and the students must have been advised to go thru the handbook with their parents before signing the terms and conditions.

These students know the rules and the consequences and any disagreements should have been sorted out before they put down their signature.
If u wait till a couple of years before suing or bringing up any disagreements then i think its too late.

Just what i think im no legal practitioner
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by PastorAji(m): 11:22pm On Apr 30, 2017
Americana90:
In as much as I am not happy about their suspension, I think they ought to understand the institution they are in. It is a religious one for crying out loud!!!! If they never wanted all these they wouldn't have applied in the first place. Its COMMON SENSE!! It is a religious school and should be respected and seen as one. You want secularism? Go to federal, State, or other private secular schools like ABTI. Its just COMMON SENSE. They weren't forced to enroll
GOD BLESS YOU MY BROTHER. IF NA AL-HIKMAH UNIVERSITY OR UNIVERSITY OF MAKKAH DO THAT, DEM GO DEY YARN TRASH
I could remember vividly when my Cousin was suspended in CU, many family members were raising dust then even myself but recently I had to retract my statements. If you no dey comfortable with dem conditons, Adeleke University, Lead City Uni, Oduduwa University and other NON-RELIGIOUS/SECULAR institutions dey.....you are free or better still jump into the #Lagoon
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by Donvalentino55(m): 11:32pm On Apr 30, 2017
Na we form religious pass yet na we still bad pass. Smh
Wondering how students will be compelled to attend church activities of their school owners just cos you're a student there not minding if they had activities too in their local churches... Its unheard of. Am confused oo...are we still in 1950?
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by amysucre: 11:37pm On Apr 30, 2017
chiraqDemon:

I dont think that will hold in the co7rt
Its just the handbooks were handed out and the students must have been advised to go thru the handbook with their parents before signing the terms and conditions.

These students know the rules and the consequences and any disagreements should have been sorted out before they put down their signature.
If u wait till a couple of years before suing or bringing up any disagreements then i think its too late.

Just what i think im no legal practitioner
This is what I know as a legal practioner
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by babyfaceafrica: 11:50pm On Apr 30, 2017
The lawyers will lose....if any lawyer is sure of him or herself,they should do the service pro-bono..and let's see the result
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by wirinet(m): 2:15am On May 01, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
The lawyers will lose....if any lawyer is sure of him or herself,they should do the service pro-bono..and let's see the result
The lawyers cannot lose.
Even if the obnoxious laws and guidelines are written at the gates and road leading to covenant university, they cannot stand in a law court, because they violate Section 38 (1) of the 1999 constitution.
Section 3 of the first part of the constitution states;
If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.
Covenant university cannot make laws that forces people to attend church services.

This issue is similar to the environmental sanitation law passed by the Lagos State Government more than 10 years ago restricting movement on the last Saturday of every month. I had always argued here on nairaland that that law violates chapter4 section 41 of the constitution that guarantees free movement. I knew that once somebody takes the matter to court, the law would be thrown out, and that was exactly what happened. The law was ruled unconstitutional, null and void.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by HRHQueenPhil(f): 7:53am On May 01, 2017
bayelsaowei:
I can only conclude that the persons who attend that school are either clueless or docile individuals... oyedepo can continue with this bull crap because zombies still are ready to pay tuition fees to attend the glorified secondary school...what rubbish. ..not even Jesus would run an institution like covenant university...

Its funny u say that because JESUS Christ first work once he entered Jerusalem was to flog out everyone turning the temple to business centre so dont conclude that He wldnt have ruled with a firm hand.
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by HRHQueenPhil(f): 7:56am On May 01, 2017
Americana90:
In as much as I am not happy about their suspension, I think they ought to understand the institution they are in. It is a religious one for crying out loud!!!! If they never wanted all these they wouldnt have applied in the first place. Its COMMON SENSE!! It is a religious school and should be respected and seen as one. You want secularism? Go to federal, State, or other private secular schools like APTI. Its just COMMON SENSE. They werent forced to enroll
Thank you for this, i dont understand people, i mean there is over 50 good universities in Nigeria, go there. Everyone is entitled to leave but my office says i cannot go this year, i signed and agreed therefore i know what i signed up for. thats why i scrutinize people that buy their forms and advise them against it once i see dey are too attachd to their phones or like to groove.
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by babyfaceafrica: 8:42am On May 01, 2017
wirinet:

The lawyers cannot lose.
Even if the obnoxious laws and guidelines are written at the gates and road leading to covenant university, they cannot stand in a law court, because they violate Section 38 (1) of the 1999 constitution.
Section 3 of the first part of the constitution states;
If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the inconsistency, be void.
Covenant university cannot make laws that forces people to attend church services.

This issue is similar to the environmental sanitation law passed by the Lagos State Government more than 10 years ago restricting movement on the last Saturday of every month. I had always argued here on nairaland that that law violates chapter4 section 41 of the constitution that guarantees free movement. I knew that once somebody takes the matter to court, the law would be thrown out, and that was exactly what happened. The law was ruled unconstitutional, null and void.
they should take the school to court without charging any fees,win first and I will take them.serious. A lot of paper lawyers these days
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by babyfaceafrica: 8:45am On May 01, 2017
HRHQueenPhil:

Thank you for this, i dont understand people, i mean there is over 50 good universities in Nigeria, go there. Everyone is entitled to leave but my office says i cannot go this year, i signed and agreed therefore i know what i signed up for. thats why i scrutinize people that buy their forms and advise them against it once i see dey are too attachd to their phones or like to groove.
gbam!!!..some people refuse to have sense,how can you join and organisation and refuse to abide by their rules, if they can't cope they should leave the school!!.is it by force to attend CU?...people just like unnecessary noise!
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by chiraqDemon(m): 12:00pm On May 01, 2017
amysucre:
This is what I know as a legal practioner
Oh, didnt know.
Fire down na
Locate d nearest suspended cu student sharp
Re: Lawyers Advise Parents To Sue Covenant University For Suspension Of 200 Students by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 01, 2017
Ijobaorun:
Abeg help me tell dem

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Eugene Ohu Wins N90m Grant By Templeton World Charity - Virtual Reality Project / Nigerian Reporter Bags Cotonou University Degree in 6 Weeks / Ebola: Schools May Resume Mid-september – Health Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.