Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,053 members, 7,810,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth (28971 Views)

Anthony Joshua And Tyson Fury Agree A Deal For Two Historic Fights / Ring And Card Girls Banned From Anthony Joshua And Andy Ruiz Fight / Anthony Joshua And Sister, Janet Joshua On A Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by datola: 2:27pm On May 02, 2017
Anthony Joshua started boxing in 2007, combining boxing training with his bricklaying job. However, in 2008 the now heavyweight champion of the world reached out to the Nigerian Boxing Federation, asking to represent Nigeria in Beijing 2008 Olympic.

God is good!
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by PBundles(m): 2:27pm On May 02, 2017
This is not the account given by Jeremiah Okorodudu.

Jeremiah Okorodudu, a former boxing champion, has revealed how boxing rave of the moment, Anthony Joshua, was rejected by Nigerian boxing officials nine years ago. Joshua caught global attention and became a darling of boxing fans Saturday night after he humiliated Wladimir Klitschko, at the Wembley Stadium in England. Speaking with UK Sun, Okorodud recalled that nine years back, Joshua’s efforts to represent Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games were futile as the Nigerian boxing officials turned him down. He said, “Joshua was in Nigeria once to connect with his roots and I think that was in 2007. “He wanted a chance to compete for trials ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics qualifiers, but he was denied and not given a chance. “Disappointed, he went back to England to represent Great Britain.

This is not the first time that athletes have been mistreadt. What about our soccer girls, even our mens team what was the issue in the previous Olympics again that almost got them DQ before the Asian guy came to the rescue and the list goes on and on.

So sorry, Im not buying this and thank God for him actually as they would have frustrated him. No qualms though, he is the CHAMP.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Hoodfriend(m): 2:31pm On May 02, 2017
exlinkleads:
thats why they say: most disappointments are blessings.

because of that disappointment, he had to retract and trained harder in other to move forward.

And guess what, forward he moved and he is now the worlds heavyweight champion.

Food for thoughts: in your lonely time and time of disappointments, bid your time, train, read, prepare yourself in secret, so that when the opportunity presents himself, you will seize the moment.

Is only a fool and a lazy man that thinks opportunity comes once in a life time.

Thank you
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Franzinni: 2:32pm On May 02, 2017
A prime example of how Nigeria cares nothing about its citizens until you make something of your self then they automatically slap the name Nigerian in front of your name just to famz. The heck out of you..... This my country is like a race car with the best specs a race car can have but is being driven by a blind man... And you wonder why we never excel at anything positive?
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by jconsulting(f): 2:33pm On May 02, 2017
Am not surprise Nigerians can lie.......

EFCC : DG NIA is the 15 billion naira your own or for somebody?

Oke: The money is for hmmmmmm? I cant remember

EFCC: Where did you get this money Andrew Yakubu

Yakubu: Is a gift , is my money.

Senate: Babachir, you approve contract for the company you have interest

Lawal: Am not aware.

FG: Sport Ministry , did Joshua apply to represent us.

Ministry : We are not aware ,is like he came late
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Truth234(m): 2:37pm On May 02, 2017
PBundles:
This is not the account given by Jeremiah Okorodudu.

Jeremiah Okorodudu, a former boxing champion, has revealed how boxing rave of the moment, Anthony Joshua, was rejected by Nigerian boxing officials nine years ago. Joshua caught global attention and became a darling of boxing fans Saturday night after he humiliated Wladimir Klitschko, at the Wembley Stadium in England. Speaking with UK Sun, Okorodud recalled that nine years back, Joshua’s efforts to represent Nigeria at the 2008 Olympic Games were futile as the Nigerian boxing officials turned him down. He said, “Joshua was in Nigeria once to connect with his roots and I think that was in 2007. “He wanted a chance to compete for trials ahead of the 2008 Beijing Olympics qualifiers, but he was denied and not given a chance. “Disappointed, he went back to England to represent Great Britain.

This is not the first time that athletes have been mistreadt. What about our soccer girls, even our mens team what was the issue in the previous Olympics again that almost got them DQ before the Asian guy came to the rescue and the list goes on and on.

So sorry, Im not buying this and thank God for him actually as they would have frustrated him. No qualms though, he is the CHAMP.

See I don't know about other athletes but Jeremiah Okorodudu account is totally wrong. How can an 18-year-old boy that started boxing for the first time in 2007 compete for a place in the Olympic team in the same year? Even four years later he couldn't win Amateur World Boxing and Dillian Whyte almost ruined his career before it got started.

Nigerian leaders have issues, youths should strive to be better.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by michoim(m): 2:39pm On May 02, 2017
Trash ...
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by zanogo(m): 2:45pm On May 02, 2017
michoim:
Trash ...
very big trash!! some people would just write anything to create awareness,this is nothing short of mediocrity.You would think those boxers that replaced Joshua at the olympics took gold medals for the country if you read this flawed article,most were beaten black and blue by cuba and other serious boxing nations

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by phenzy(m): 2:46pm On May 02, 2017
CokersClub:
I can still relate his victory to what :

nawa fr u o bros
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 02, 2017
phenzy:

nawa fr u o bros

Wetin I do
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Dandsome: 3:02pm On May 02, 2017
Truth234:

See I don't know about other athletes but Jeremiah Okorodudu account is totally wrong. How can an 18-year-old boy that started boxing for the first time in 2007 compete for a place in the Olympic team in the same year? Even four years later he couldn't win Amateur World Boxing and Dillian Whyte almost ruined his career before it got started.

Going by what Jeremiah said, you'll notice that the OP's story of being a bricklayer is false then. Was he a bricklayer in England or what?

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by SalamRushdie: 3:05pm On May 02, 2017
Instead of them to learn from their mistakes they have gone on to pay a journalist to write lies
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by seguno2: 3:06pm On May 02, 2017
iihtlagos:
He wasn't fit to represent Nigeria but was fit to represent Britain...

I guess your findings were flawed!!

Did he represent Britain in 2008?
Or don't you know that 2008 is not the same as 2012?
There is a difference of four years, in case you need to be told.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by ednut1(m): 3:07pm On May 02, 2017
iihtlagos:

he represented Britain in 2012. the fake story says he was rejected in 2008, when there was no way he was qualified to fight, as he started boxing the year qualifiers wud have held. so it never happened lol

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Truth234(m): 3:16pm On May 02, 2017
Dandsome:

Going by what Jeremiah said, you'll notice that the OP's story of being a bricklayer is false then. Was he a bricklayer in England or what?

I am the OP, he was a bricklayer and it was even in the documentary Lucozade did on him a week to the fight. If you are a true boxing fan you should know that as he always mentions it in his interviews. That is a link below.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anthony+joshua+lucozade+

Nigerian youths need to be better than this please. Jeremiah Okorodudu is delusional. This is what Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie called danger of a single story, that fake story told by Jeremiah Okorodudu was cited on numerous international media.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by PBundles(m): 3:24pm On May 02, 2017
I dont think age or when you started is factor. The mere fact that he started in 2007 and now 10 years later has Olympic Gold and is the Unified champ concurs that he had talent, otherwise who else ( mayweather, Tyson anyone) has accomplished the same in a short span. I used to box and have followed for years, believe me the guy is highly talented. For someone his height and weight, his hand eye coordination is extraordinary.

The guys that had the experience and took his place, what have become of them.

Peace brother.

Truth234:

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Kenturkey048(m): 3:24pm On May 02, 2017
iihtlagos:

oga na after 5yrs.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Nobody: 3:25pm On May 02, 2017
Solmax:
The thing still remains the
'Stone the builders rejected can be the main cornerstone tomorrow'.
Nobody knows tomorrow, so treat everyone U meet today well.
The coaches.....them no fit identify talent or train am up ni.

It is a trap don't fall for it
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by nobleblood: 3:26pm On May 02, 2017
The once weh qualify wre dem reach for the Olympic. And where are they now?
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by nobleblood: 3:26pm On May 02, 2017
The once weh qualify we den reach for the Olympic. And where are they now?
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Suspense12(m): 3:28pm On May 02, 2017
Proud to be a Yoruba man and a Nigerian....

Shout out to all my people in the house!!!
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by saudi95: 3:31pm On May 02, 2017
The writer of this rubbish must be sick, The final of the Olympics between Joshua and the Italian was absolutely won by Joshua. It was a three rounds of fights which the Italian won the first round by 6-5, The second was tight at 6-6 and the last round was too bad for the Italian as Joshua dealt with him seriously. I ends around 4-6. I can scan my ticket on this website to see by everyone. That was the wrong information gave to the writer, but I saw the final at O2 arena life. Up Joshhh.

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by KevMitnick: 3:33pm On May 02, 2017
Op you are very stupid for publishing this useless article. Instead of the short sighted coach to accept his error, he arrogantly said he will reject the guy if given the same circumstance. Op, you, your coach and the dumb experts can kiss AJ's behind because he is now the champion of the world. And his glory shines brighter and brighter. Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Truth234(m): 3:34pm On May 02, 2017
PBundles:
I dont think age or when you started is factor. The mere fact that he started in 2007 and now 10 years later has Olympic Gold and is the Unified champ concurs that he had talent, otherwise who else ( mayweather, Tyson anyone) has accomplished the same in a short span. I used to box and have followed for years, believe me the guy is highly talented. For someone his height and weight, his hand eye coordination is extraordinary.

The guys that had the experience and took his place, what have become of them.

Peace brother.

You are no boxer please, a true boxer knows it is not possible to raise an Olympic champion within a year. A real boxer knows it takes years and sacrifices to build muscle memory, learn to throw precise combinations, learn to jab effectively, footwork and head movement that after 9 years he is still yet to learn. I am AJ fan but when people watch and play football growing up, boxing is all I do and till this day. The gym is home.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by slurryeye2: 3:52pm On May 02, 2017
undecided
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by folem: 4:08pm On May 02, 2017
saudi95:
The writer of this rubbish must be sick, The final of the Olympics between Joshua and the Italian was absolutely won by Joshua. It was a three rounds of fights which the Italian won the first round by 6-5, The second was tight at 6-6 and the last round was too bad for the Italian as Joshua dealt with him seriously. I ends around 4-6. I can scan my ticket on this website to see by everyone. That was the wrong information gave to the writer, but I saw the final at O2 arena life. Up Joshhh.
Wrong. Lets see your ticket. Match result was 18+ / 18

The venue is ExCel Exhibition Centre.

Joshua couldn't have made 2008 Nigeria Olympic Boxing team.

Okorodudu has his own agenda.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Kam0007: 4:08pm On May 02, 2017
@OP YOU JUST ATTAINED THE "FULL-BLOWN REEEEEEETARD" STATUS.
I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by evanscheck(m): 4:14pm On May 02, 2017
[color=#990000][/color]
How did he arrive in US.. The history is so scanty and annoying
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by maklelemakukula(m): 4:35pm On May 02, 2017
Op shut up abeg
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 02, 2017
undecided
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 02, 2017
KevMitnick:
Op you are very stupid for publishing this useless article. Instead of the short sighted coach to accept his error, he arrogantly said he will reject the guy if given the same circumstance. Op, you, your coach and the dumb experts can kiss AJ's behind because he is now the champion of the world. And his glory shines brighter and brighter. Nonsense

Has he met Ronda yet? Let's start from there...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UEFA Women's Champions League Draws. See Who Nigerians Are Playing Against / Samson Siasia Begs Mother's Kidnappers: Release My Mum, I Don’t Have Money / Ashley Cole Scores First Ever FA Cup Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.