Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,181 members, 7,811,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth (28977 Views)

Anthony Joshua And Tyson Fury Agree A Deal For Two Historic Fights / Ring And Card Girls Banned From Anthony Joshua And Andy Ruiz Fight / Anthony Joshua And Sister, Janet Joshua On A Plane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by zynzyn(m): 5:35pm On May 02, 2017
Truth234:
Perhaps that explained why he didn’t show up for the trial against the likes of Durodola Olanrewaju and Onorede Ohwarieme that represented Nigeria in Beijing 2008.

And where are Durodola and Onorede today??!

YEYE DEY SMELL!!

Joshua should count his blessings not boxing for Nigeria AND he should watch his back on whom he deals with in Nigeria. Jealousy is our shadow!!

2 Likes

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Surd2121(m): 5:36pm On May 02, 2017
AngelicBeing:
Na today, abeg make l hear word, we have millions of Anthony Joshua's who have been frustrated out of Nigeria, Nigeria can sometimes cripple your star if you are not careful, even with a PHD in Nigeria , it is useless if you are not connected , have long leg, know an Emir, Obi, politician, Army general, Oba or a high net-worth individual to link you up , Nigeria rewards mediocrity and that is what we see on a larger scale among-st the politicians, a crook, an ex-convict will become a governor/ Federal Minister, Senator etc. abeg Anthony Joshua enjoy yourself in England , forget about Nigeria, nonsense wink
I hope you see that paragraph where it was said that he came in after they were through with the trials...
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Surd2121(m): 5:42pm On May 02, 2017
zynzyn:

And where are Durodola and Onorede today??!

YEYE DEY SMELL!!

Joshua should count his blessings not boxing for Nigeria AND he should watch his back on whom he deals with in Nigeria. Jealousy is our shadow!!
bitch please undecided wouldn't you have screamed favoritism if he had represented us in the Olympics without having a trial ahead those that were in the trials
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by vislabraye(m): 5:56pm On May 02, 2017
raumdeuter:
Foolishness in black and white

David Alaba also approched the NFA to join our U17 he was turned back

....because he did not settle them.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by komekn(m): 6:14pm On May 02, 2017
Truth234:
The emergence of Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua as the WBA, IBO and IBF heavyweight champion of the world after defeating his Ukrainian challenger, Wladimir Klitschko, through a technical knockout on Saturday have led to a series of publications as to why the Nigerian-British born was rejected by the Nigerian Boxing Federation in 2008.

While, most Nigerians have condemned the action of the federation, both local and international media like ThisDay, ESPN, Daily Mail, etc have tagged the non-existing trial, rejection.

Anthony Joshua started boxing in 2007, combining boxing training with his bricklaying job. However, in 2008 the now heavyweight champion of the world reached out to the Nigerian Boxing Federation, asking to represent Nigeria in Beijing 2008 Olympic.

In 2008, Anthony Joshua knows he cannot make any Olympic team in the world –that was barely a year after he started boxing training, even nine years later Anthony Joshua is still work in progress and lack footwork and head movement that defines true champions. Perhaps that explained why he didn’t show up for the trial against the likes of Durodola Olanrewaju and Onorede Ohwarieme that represented Nigeria in Beijing 2008.

According to the chief coach of the Nigerian Boxing Federation, Obisia Nwankpa, Anthony Joshua reached out to the association in 2008, and he was invited for trial but came after the national trial had finished.

Even though, he won a gold medal at the 2012 Olympic, Tyson Fury and other heavyweight rivals have repeatedly said he was gifted the gold medal because the Olympic was hosted in London and insisted Roberto Cammarelle of Italy beats the world champion in the final.

That was after winning a silver medal at 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan and going through five years world class training in London. Still, his Olympic performance and gold medal has been criticised by experts.

Therefore, Anthony Joshua was not rejected in 2008 by the Nigerian Boxing Federation, neither was he qualified to represent Nigeria in the 2008 Olympic, but rather he was looking for a short-cut to the Olympic without the skillset requires to fight at the Olympic level as at the time.

Nigerians should stop condoning mediocrity and focus on nurturing homegrown talents to compete on the global stage.

http://investorsking.com/anthony-joshua-and-the-nigerian-myth/

Presumptuous nonsense, how can you establish he didn't have the skillset when you have not assessed him.

What's the most important attribute skillset or natural God given talent and ability?

When did Nwankpa have such an indepth discussion with Anthony to make these negative deductions. You never met him but you are able to make a plethora of conclusions based on personal perception not on substantiated fact or deduction.

We are Nigerians and we know in every sphere of life the WHO KNOW MAN syndrome always comes into place.

So reading between the lines it's quite obvious they never gave him time of day. But now the stone the builders rejected has become - - - - -

The man should hide his head in shame instead of spewing primary school lies.

1 Like

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by mikolo80: 8:19pm On May 02, 2017
OVA200:
Please someone should read and summarize for us.

Na Mercy aigbe, Anthony Joshua and Buhari health issue full front page.
he was a bricklaye
started boxing in 2007
applied for Olympics in 2008
thaw say him mouth de smell
say till today he lack footwork and head movement of a true champion. jokers
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by mikolo80: 8:20pm On May 02, 2017
neocortex:
SMH.
NBF belittling Joshua's achievements just to paint themselves as saints.
no be una gii dem mouth to talk
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by neocortex: 8:34pm On May 02, 2017
mikolo80:
no be una gii dem mouth to talk

How ?
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by mikolo80: 8:36pm On May 02, 2017
neocortex:

How ?
Nov telling them to shut up when talking rubbish.
Not challenging them when they disgrace our country and mismanage our sportsmen and women .baggers that should be stoned
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by chinkichun: 8:45pm On May 02, 2017
CokersClub:
I can still relate his victory to what :

Is this the new trend? Chinese men
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by osuofia2(m): 9:13pm On May 02, 2017
CokersClub:

Am posting this picture for the next 3months... The Chinese man is indeed wise.
you mumu sha.... if they leave you now you go de claim graduate... it is annoying seeing graduate using "am instead of I am"
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 02, 2017
osuofia2:

you mumu sha.... if they leave you now you go de claim graduate... it is annoying seeing graduate using "am instead of I am"
kid.

Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by adecz: 9:58pm On May 02, 2017
So, the boxers that 'qualified' & represented
Nigeria for 2008 olympics; what medal did
they win? And where are those ppl today¿¿??
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by TheGreatIYANU: 10:37pm On May 02, 2017
Laple0541:
@ OP, seems you took some weed before writing this junk, just read through what you wrote:
" he was gifted the gold medal because the Olympic was hosted in London" Says who? Tyson Fury......so that sycophant is now a reliable source you think England is like Nigeria where mediocrity is favoured over professionalism! I pity you.

Amo iru yin, atoko waba ile je.

Sir, may you be blessed for this! May your Glory never be rubbished by idiots and mediocres who give excuses for their failures.

God bless you sire. It's all I can say.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by oyetpel(m): 12:12am On May 03, 2017
Truth234:
The emergence of Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua as the WBA, IBO and IBF heavyweight champion of the world after defeating his Ukrainian challenger, Wladimir Klitschko, through a technical knockout on Saturday have led to a series of publications as to why the Nigerian-British born was rejected by the Nigerian Boxing Federation in 2008.

While, most Nigerians have condemned the action of the federation, both local and international media like ThisDay, ESPN, Daily Mail, etc have tagged the non-existing trial, rejection.

Anthony Joshua started boxing in 2007, combining boxing training with his bricklaying job. However, in 2008 the now heavyweight champion of the world reached out to the Nigerian Boxing Federation, asking to represent Nigeria in Beijing 2008 Olympic.

In 2008, Anthony Joshua knows he cannot make any Olympic team in the world –that was barely a year after he started boxing training, even nine years later Anthony Joshua is still work in progress and lack footwork and head movement that defines true champions. Perhaps that explained why he didn’t show up for the trial against the likes of Durodola Olanrewaju and Onorede Ohwarieme that represented Nigeria in Beijing 2008.

According to the chief coach of the Nigerian Boxing Federation, Obisia Nwankpa, Anthony Joshua reached out to the association in 2008, and he was invited for trial but came after the national trial had finished.

Even though, he won a gold medal at the 2012 Olympic, Tyson Fury and other heavyweight rivals have repeatedly said he was gifted the gold medal because the Olympic was hosted in London and insisted Roberto Cammarelle of Italy beats the world champion in the final.

That was after winning a silver medal at 2011 World Amateur Boxing Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan and going through five years world class training in London. Still, his Olympic performance and gold medal has been criticised by experts.

Therefore, Anthony Joshua was not rejected in 2008 by the Nigerian Boxing Federation, neither was he qualified to represent Nigeria in the 2008 Olympic, but rather he was looking for a short-cut to the Olympic without the skillset requires to fight at the Olympic level as at the time.

Nigerians should stop condoning mediocrity and focus on nurturing homegrown talents to compete on the global stage.

http://investorsking.com/anthony-joshua-and-the-nigerian-myth/
You wrote shit by quoting what Tyson Fury said about his win at the Olympics.

I hope you are not a journalist.

That's why Nigeria sports and Nigeria Football league will never grow, give a player a red card and his teammates will leave the pitch.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by OVA200(m): 1:46am On May 03, 2017
mikolo80:
he was a bricklaye
started boxing in 2007
applied for Olympics in 2008
thaw say him mouth de smell
say till today he lack footwork and head movement of a true champion. jokers
Thank you
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by Toofan007: 6:43am On May 03, 2017
He came after the trials, and they were able to conclude he didn't have the skill set? How? OK, maybe they watched his video, possible but not likely.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by whizcartel(m): 8:08am On May 03, 2017
On no circumstance should AJ come to Nigeria o! There are evil forces who steal people's star in this country. Look at Wale. Struggling to get a hit track since he visited. Even Jidenna knows too. that's why he sang about it.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by PBundles(m): 11:18am On May 03, 2017
Thats a pretty ignorant statement to make when you have never met me. Sorry to burst your bubble but I started boxing at around 9 till 16. Took it up later purely for training and still do it today along with Krav Maga and BJJ. I learned from the PAL Newark and have taken part Golden Glove trials. The ONLY reason I didnt become a prof was a small one, MY MOM. She absolutley refused, hence that ended it. I later played baseball, boxing and excelled in Basketball. When I returned from the US as a teenager I led my team to the Bendel State championships. A court was built for this achievement by the then principal, and I swear to the above. So if I dont come hear and brag about what I have done, it means I didnt. Bro I would school you in boxing forget about boxing history.Feel free to test me. I live and breathe boxing, so please stop that. You can have an opinion, I can have mine but done talk what you obviously dont know about me.
When you say you box, I doubt ..WHY rule one ALWAYS respect an fellow boxer. If you have been in the ring, you know how it is so when someone says they do it, respect,period. Thats the code of boxing of any martial arts, at least where Im from. Maybe in Nigeria its mouth first.

And yes usually you need years to develop, but you sometime have natural talents and AJ is. Hence you have not answered my questioon.

Who else has achieved in the 10 year span (2007 - 2017) what he did, Olympic Champion to Unified Champion. Mayweather, SRL, Tyson, name one.

Truth234:

You are no boxer please, a true boxer knows it is not possible to raise an Olympic champion within a year. A real boxer knows it takes years and sacrifices to build muscle memory, learn to throw precise combinations, learn to jab effectively, footwork and head movement that after 9 years he is still yet to learn. I am AJ fan but when people watch and play football growing up, boxing is all I do and till this day. The gym is home.
Re: Anthony Joshua And The Nigerian Myth by PBundles(m): 11:49am On May 03, 2017
@Truth234 : quick question since you state that you box and the gym is your home.

How can an orthodox boxer (not southpaw) best throw a right hook?

Truth234:

You are no boxer please, a true boxer knows it is not possible to raise an Olympic champion within a year. A real boxer knows it takes years and sacrifices to build muscle memory, learn to throw precise combinations, learn to jab effectively, footwork and head movement that after 9 years he is still yet to learn. I am AJ fan but when people watch and play football growing up, boxing is all I do and till this day. The gym is home.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Samson Siasia Begs Mother's Kidnappers: Release My Mum, I Don’t Have Money / Ashley Cole Scores First Ever FA Cup Goal / Anthony Joshua Trains Ahead Of Andy Rematch: "He Who Laughs Last Laughs Hardest"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.