Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,467 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig (1000 Views)

Anambra Poll Results: Ekwunife Sacks Ngige From Senate, Humbles Victor Umeh / ANAMBRA POLL: Police Arraign 183 Osun Suspects In Court / Police Intercept Truckload Of Anambra Poll Materials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Otobroto(f): 12:19am On Jan 08, 2010
Anambra poll: Politicians recruiting armed robbers, sowing police uniforms — Onovo
By Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja, Published: Friday, 8 Jan 2010

Mr. Ogbonna Onovo

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, has alleged that politicians are recruiting armed robbers to assist them win the February 6 governorship poll in Anambra State.

The IG also said that fake police uniforms have found their way to the political class and hoodlums in the state for the election.

Onovo said this in Abuja on Thursday while meeting with governorship candidates and political actors in the state on the need to have a peaceful election.

He explained that the disturbing development was part of intelligence reports submitted to his office by his men in the state.

He also said that some politicians had concluded arrangement to recruit political machineries from other states, especially from the Niger Delta region.

He said the illegal police uniforms, when procured, would be distributed to thugs and motor park touts who he said would be used to either rig or disrupt the election.

He further claimed that members of vigilance groups were also being armed for the same purpose, adding that several politicians were equally talking to members of the outlawed National Association of Road Transport Owners to cause mayhem during the election.

He added that a particular group was already undergoing training on how to snatch ballot boxes.

Onovo said, “Some of you are already procuring MOPOL (riot) policemen uniforms which you want to distribute to political thugs, motor park thugs to perpetrate evil during the election.

“Vigilante people are also being recruited and some retired armed robbers as well. We also have it in our intelligence that some political stalwarts have concluded with drivers unions, Onitsha Market Amalgamated Traders Association and a certain confraternity has concluded plans on how to rig the election.

“In a place called Omamballa, in Anambra East, a large number of youths were being recruited in Umuleri and Aguleri for the election.

“In Ogbaru division, a former chairman of NARTO has perfected his own plan and he is ready to finance any political party that is ready to abide by his terms.

“This fellow and his group are training on how to snatch ballot boxes.

“In Obosi, a group of thugs is being trained on how to disrupt election should it not go their own way.

“In Opoko, a group which claims to be an affiliate to Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra is meeting.

“They have vowed that election will not hold in their area just as they did not allow census to take place the other time.

“In Otu-Ocha, there is an island there where youths are being trained in military tactics. Also, cult members are being recruited from tertiary institutions.

“Some politicians have concluded plans to recruit machineries from other states, especially from the Niger Delta.”

He said the police had been following events in the state for over two months, adding that he was not happy with what was going on.

The IG also said that though there was a relative peace in the state following the deployment of 16 units of riot policemen to stem the tide of kidnapping, there were still threats of kidnapping.

He said the fear of kidnapping and molestation made him to order the Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command, Mr. Suleiman Leha, to provide security for all the aspirants as he would not want to hear that a candidate had either been kidnapped or molested.

Onovo said though he had achieved what he wanted in this regard, he said the situation in the state was still dicey.

He wondered why the state, which he described as one of the states with highest number of influential and educated Nigerians, was full acrimony.

He said, “I will not say I am not worried; I am worried because that is my home as well. We need to provide leadership for others.

“When people protest, they vent their anger on the police by calling us names and so on. Time has come for us to say no.

“Let us remove the speck on our eyes first. Ghana has concluded elections and we applauded them. Several other nations as well have done theirs and we are better than them.

“If you love the people you want to lead, then give them the opportunity to vote without any fear of intimidation.”

He said adequate policemen would be provided for free and fair poll, saying that the policemen would wear special identity cards to avoid impersonation.

He also announced that he would deploy a special monitoring unit to the state to ensure full compliance with all directives regarding the election.

Onovo said no candidate would be allowed into the polling areas with either his police orderly or other security details.

Out of the 25 political parties that are fielding candidates for the election, 18 sent their representatives.

Some candidates that attended the meeting include Dr. Chris Ngige of the Action Congress, Dr. Andy Uba, Labour Party, while the running mates of Governor Peter Obi of All Progressive Grand Alliance, Uche Ekwunife of Progressive Peoples Alliance and Prof. Chukwuma Soludo of the Peoples Democratic Party were in attendance.

Asking questions from the police boss, some of the aspirants wanted to know if the police were well funded for the election and if they would not depend on any of the contestants.

One of them also accused the police of always colluding with political parties to rig election, and wondered who would arrest such policemen even when identified.

They also appealed to the Police to harmonise their security positions with the Nigerian Army so that they do not work at cross purposes during the election.

Responding, Onovo said that security agents were well funded for the election, adding that he would hold meetings with leaders of other security arms before the election.

On rigging, he said he was sure that no policeman would be ready to trade with his several years of service. He also said that senior security personnel would also be on ground to attend to complaints.

All the politicians were made to serve bonds to be of good behaviour before and during the election.

Apart from Onovo, the meeting was attended by all the six deputy inspectors general, Leha and some other senior police officers.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201001083392493
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Otobroto(f): 12:21am On Jan 08, 2010
Inspector General of Police.

Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Omolulu(m): 12:22am On Jan 08, 2010
Do People ever learn?? Life is too short to ruin ur brief existence on earth, why rig and kill for power? undecided
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Otobroto(f): 12:24am On Jan 08, 2010
This is one election that will make or mare Anambra state. It is another do-or-die situation. A must win for PDP (People Deceive People).
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by selingel: 12:48am On Jan 08, 2010
Otobroto:

This is one election that will make or mare Anambra state. It is another do-or-die situation. A must win for PDP (People Deceive People).

I know that PDP wants to take over Anambra state at all cost. Fine, the IG knows about this ploy, what is he going to do to curb the effect of these?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by debosky(m): 12:52am On Jan 08, 2010
selingel:

I know that PDP wants to take over Anambra state at all cost. Fine, the IG knows about this ploy, what is he going to do to curb the effect of these?

He has done all he will do - tell you. This will remove the element of surprise when the news starts filtering in that the criminals stuffed the ballot boxes to the high heavens.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by beylinko(m): 1:19am On Jan 08, 2010
Na wa o,when will all these end?Since the I G knows these,why make so much noise about it.Hope this is not a scheme by the P D P to distract us?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Beaf: 1:27am On Jan 08, 2010
"'Sowing' Police Uniforms". . . shocked shocked
Has any of the uniforms grown yet? grin grin grin

Damn! The politicians will reap whatever they sow. grin

Happy New Year @Otobroto, selingel, Oboma1 (yet to enter) and Enjoyment1 (yet to step in). grin
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by sjeezy8: 1:35am On Jan 08, 2010
chineke! this one na war ting battle for anambra state. Hope all the fine ladies will be ok cool
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by jamace(m): 4:54am On Jan 08, 2010
This reminds me of the "Abagana disaster" during the Nigerian Civil War 1967 - 1970 cheesy cheesy
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Mekusxyz: 5:01am On Jan 08, 2010
Another media hype by a fake journalist (take a look at his fake names grin). Anambra people know how to weather their storm. At the end of the day, nobody gets killed, unlike in some other states (names withheld, although we know them grin grin) in southern NIGERIA
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by netpro(m): 7:13am On Jan 08, 2010
The Nigerian police should not even think of adding any more shame to the ones we have in this country. If they know these things are going on, they should investigate it and start making arrests. What is wrong with Nigeria?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Nobody: 7:26am On Jan 08, 2010
This had Andy Uba written all over it. It's a shame to cos he's most likely going to succed!
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 08, 2010
Politicians in nigeri will continue to surprise to me, sewing police uniform to touts in order to rig election.Another evil strategy of do or die election.what a shame at this age.Ghana election should be use as a case study to all nigeria politician.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Afam(m): 8:16am On Jan 08, 2010
Let the vague expose end, let him name these politicians that are doing this.

Let the constitution stipulate death penalty for election rigging and see if this nonsense won't end.

When it comes to governance I think Nigeria is very low on the ladder if basic issues like these cannot be handled properly.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by naso2(m): 8:52am On Jan 08, 2010
Afam:

Let the constitution stipulate death penalty for election rigging and see if this nonsense won't end.

You funny no be small, death penalty for election riging? when a Criminals like reverend king will most likely have his sentence commuted soon?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Afam(m): 9:08am On Jan 08, 2010
na_so:

You funny no be small, death penalty for election riging? when a Criminals like reverend king will most likely have his sentence commuted soon?

It might be funny to you but the root cause of the problems we have in our democracy is election rigging and death penalty if implemented will reduce election rigging to the barest minimum.

I am a realist, I don't join bandwagons or bow to peer pressure. I focus on what works and try to explain why it works. China executes corrupt public officials and that has reduced the level of corruption in public officers even when some nations keep kicking against death penalty.

We should support what will work for us not trying to sound or feel like any developed nation by borrowing and implementing everything.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by otawa: 9:14am On Jan 08, 2010
It might be funny to you but the root cause of the problems we have in our democracy is election rigging and death penalty if implemented will reduce election rigging to the barest minimum.

I share your feeling but the 'judge' is corrupt too.

Only opposition people would be sentenced to death.

I think we NIGERIANS dont LOVE our country.

We are in self-destruct mode.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Oboma1(m): 10:00am On Jan 08, 2010
otawa:

I share your feeling but the 'judge' is corrupt too.

Only opposition people would be sentenced to death.

I think we NIGERIANS dont LOVE our country.

We are in self-destruct mode.

Tell Onovo to keep quiet!. Why come out in public to say such, why not take action. He is trying to exonerate Nigeria Police, so that, when he succeeds in rigging. he and his boys will not be blamed.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 08, 2010
why is the ig informing us instead of acting on the info and moving in on these politicians

or does he think the job of IG is to issue press releases?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Enjoyment1(f): 2:34pm On Jan 08, 2010
oyb:

why is the ig informing us instead of acting on the info and moving in on these politicians

or does he think the job of IG is to issue press releases?

Something tells me, this IG is working out some script here. Why would someone of his calibre organise a press release, when such info could be used underground, and all those involved in this act are rounded-up?
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by debosky(m): 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2010
Afam:

Have the death penalties for murder, armed robbery and other crimes stopped those crimes?

The severity of punishment is not the issue here - it's lack of certainty of punishment. If people know they'll be caught, even if the penalty is small then it serves as a deterrent.

The police and law enforcement agencies must be equipped and trained to properly investigate and prosecute offending individuals. Calling press conferences will only alarm individuals and allow them to say 'I told you so' after the elections.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Enjoyment1(f): 2:56pm On Jan 08, 2010
debosky:

Have the death penalties for murder, armed robbery and other crimes stopped those crimes?

The severity of punishment is not the issue here - it's lack of certainty of punishment. If people know they'll be caught, even if the penalty is small then it serves as a deterrent.

The police and law enforcement agencies must be equipped and trained to properly investigate and prosecute offending individuals. Calling press conferences will only alarm individuals and allow them to say 'I told you so' after the elections.

Until death penalty is enforced on electoral offences, and one big-wig too is fiiiiirrrreeeddd! to death, this stubborn nation will never learn. The other day, a senator of the federal republic was caught with ballot boxes, and nothing happened. Ask INEC what happened to the man? Nothing!.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by debosky(m): 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Until death penalty is enforced on electoral offences, and one big-wig too is fiiiiirrrreeeddd! to death, this stubborn nation will never learn. The other day, a senator of the federal republic was caught with ballot boxes, and nothing happened. Ask INEC what happened to the man? Nothing!.

This is not true - Alams was sent to jail and didn't stop other governors from stealing. If the shooting of murderers and armed robbers has not stopped those crimes why will the case of politicians be different?

Killing people over electoral malpractices will only achieve one thing - a sure way to rid yourself of political opponents. Frame him/her and the person will be eliminated by the state.

What we need is certainty of punishment for erring individuals, not necessarily killing them. More importantly, the ability of the police and INEC to ensure fair elections is paramount.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by Enjoyment1(f): 3:15pm On Jan 08, 2010
debosky:

This is not true - Alams was sent to jail and didn't stop other governors from stealing. If the shooting of murderers and armed robbers has not stopped those crimes why will the case of politicians be different?

Killing people over electoral malpractices will only achieve one thing - a sure way to rid yourself of political opponents. Frame him/her and the person will be eliminated by the state.

What we need is certainty of punishment for erring individuals, not necessarily killing them. More importantly, the ability of the police and INEC to ensure fair elections is paramount.

I accept your facts, but I really want a more stiffer punishment for these maggots, that will never come stop contesting and winning rigged elections in Nigeria. It just have to be stiffer.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by selingel: 9:03pm On Jan 08, 2010
The level at which crime is happening in Nigeria these days, calls for prayers.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by chidichris(m): 9:14am On Jan 09, 2010
the IG is biased as long as he is appointed by this same pdp, he can only speak from one side of his mouth.
the truth here is pdp is desperate as long as anambra is concerned hence like obasanjo will rightly say" A DO OR DIE AFFAIR"
the most unfortunate thing in this drama is that professors are involved in this thugry.
it will soon be prof iwu vs prof soludo while the battle ground is anambra.
the sweet thing about this game of professors is that both professors are working with the same interest and for the same group.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by henryhemon(m): 10:08am On Jan 09, 2010
Why is he telling us?should do his job n stop politicizing.i thought he is a police I.G?the should start being sincere or nigeria we go down.I wonder how a police should have a potbelly.Our country is in a pathetic situation.
Re: Anambra Poll: Politicians Recruiting Armed Robbers, Sowing Police Uniforms — Ig by blacksta(m): 11:06am On Jan 09, 2010
selingel:

The level at which crime is happening in Nigeria these days, calls for prayers.

U can shove your prayers where the sun dont shine - People with similar mentality is the reason why the nation is in a constant cesspit

(1) (Reply)

What Is Mr Peter Obi And Apga Doing For The People Of Anambra / Shame To All The Nigerian Yahoo And Fraudulent People / Kenyan Police Arrest Nigerian Al-shabab Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.