Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,982 members, 7,835,291 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study (11864 Views)

20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists / Nigerians Have A Special Gene That Makes Them Happy - Researcher Claims / 71% Nigerians Have No Malaria Parasite Antigen,wasting Money On Drugs– New Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by estyvino(m): 8:00am On May 13, 2017
Incomplete research, no recommendations!
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Meloshi(m): 8:01am On May 13, 2017
SOME WON’ T DO THIS !! ANTHONY
JOSHUA MOVES BACK TO MUM ’S TWO
BEDROOM FLAT DESPITE WINNING £ 15
M

http://webvibez..co.ke/2017/05/some-won-t-do-this-anthony-joshua-moves.html?m=1
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by GeneralOjukwu: 8:01am On May 13, 2017
coolestchris:
my Dad is a diabetic but he has been managing it for over15 years, I don't really know what causes diabetes, only an illiterate will say suger causes diabetes

I believe that diabetes is caused by junk food

watch out for my new song titled "cucumber"

Sugar doesn't exactly "cause" diabetes. It is the failure of the pancreas to produce INSULIN to break down sugars ingested.

Of course, too much sugar consumption means more insulin to break it down. So it would likely aggravate it if the pancreas is dysfunctional in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by IRobot7(m): 8:01am On May 13, 2017
Too bad
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Bondesniger(m): 8:02am On May 13, 2017
ASK ME FOR CURE
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by sunshineV(f): 8:02am On May 13, 2017
I concur.

Nigerians drinking Fanta and Coke like say na drip grin grin

May God help us in this country

2 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mekanus(m): 8:04am On May 13, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
but the disease is curable
What's the cure? Please if you know share it here, my mum is diabetic.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:04am On May 13, 2017
My mum has diabetes for more than 17 years now and she has been controlling it well, she is 74 now still looking good, i bought her a medecine last year from istanbul after taking it she went for check up and her doctor told her to be drinking 7up that her sugar level is very low, me i am not understanding oo

2 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mekanus(m): 8:07am On May 13, 2017
estyvino:
Yea half baked research. And it's even coming from lecturers (and maybe professors even).

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by rectitude(m): 8:08am On May 13, 2017
coolestchris:
my Dad is a diabetic but he has been managing it for over15 years, I don't really know what causes diabetes, only an illiterate will say suger causes diabetes

Diabetes is caused by the body's inability to produce enough insuline, and insulin is responsible for blood sugar regulation in the body.

3 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by damola1: 8:09am On May 13, 2017
I am 100% sure this figure is fake.

Even in places like america. Africa American have a higher percentage of diabetes.

Facts;

http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/features/why-7-deadly-diseases-strike-blacks-most

Diabetes is 60% more common in black Americans than in white Americans. Blacks are up to 2.5 times more likely to suffer a limb amputation and up to 5.6 times more likely to suffer kidney disease than other people with diabetes.
African-Americans are three times more likely to die of asthma than white Americans.
Deaths from lung scarring -- sarcoidosis -- are 16 times more common among blacks than among whites. The disease recently killed former NFL star Reggie White at age 43.
Despite lower tobacco exposure, black men are 50% more likely than white men to get lung cancer.
Strokes kill 4 times more 35- to 54-year-old black Americans than white Americans. Blacks have nearly twice the first-time stroke risk of whites.
Blacks develop high blood pressure earlier in life -- and with much higher blood pressure levels -- than whites. Nearly 42% of black men and more than 45% of black women aged 20 and older have high blood pressure.
Cancer treatment is equally successful for all races. Yet black men have a 40% higher cancer death rate than white men. African-American women have a 20% higher cancer death rate than white women.

Frankly speaking. Put the figure more at 40m Nigerians. Everyone has it and does that don't have it are prone to having it due to lifestyle issues
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Suko110(m): 8:09am On May 13, 2017
coolestchris:

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by jericco1(m): 8:11am On May 13, 2017
Wrong
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by emperormossad(m): 8:12am On May 13, 2017
absoluteSuccess:
but the disease is curable
No it is not, but it can be managed properly
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by absoluteSuccess: 8:13am On May 13, 2017
Mekanus:

What's the cure? Please if you know share it here, my mum is diabetic.

ok, you can start with aqeous solution of hunteria umberalata (abere). That will help a great deal.

read my threads for more or call me on

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mpanyi: 8:16am On May 13, 2017
Nonsense Nigeria scholars and Media. What the Type 2 diabetes is was not explained for all to understand and appreciate the report more.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 8:19am On May 13, 2017
Mekanus:

Yea half baked research. And it's even coming from lecturers (and maybe professors even).
Lol has punch become a Scientific journal?
May be you are the bad reader for not knowing that this research would have a more detailed Methodology and conclusion on a scientific data base like Researchgate.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mckandre(m): 8:22am On May 13, 2017
frisky2good:
4 million out of 160 million is a very small percentage of out population.
u fit be among the 4million grin
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 8:24am On May 13, 2017
estyvino:
Blame the media for that. You can search the study out yourself.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by frisky2good(m): 8:29am On May 13, 2017
Yes and even if it's 159 million, I fit still dodge am. That's why all this data no dey too worry me.

Mckandre:
u fit be among the 4million grin
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 8:29am On May 13, 2017
I actually think its much higher than that. 1 in 5/6 patients above 45 which I see in the clinic have either a pre-diabetic or an outright diabetic range of blood sugar.
Me thinks if the study covered the north , you would be alarmed at the prevalence of Type 2 DM in the country These guys live a very lifestyle which puts them at risk of DM. Compare that to the average Southerner who is more enlightened. Even the market woman knkww about into sugar
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by emperormossad(m): 8:30am On May 13, 2017
DaddyGngeess:
My mum has diabetes for more than 17 years now and she has been controlling it well, she is 74 now still looking good, i bought her a medecine last year from istanbul after taking it she went for check up and her doctor tell her to be drinking 7up that her sugar level is very low, me i am not understanding oo
Blood sugar control has to be optimal. If done too much, she will be hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), if it is not tackled well, she will still be hyperglycaemic (elevated blood sugar which implies poor control). Hence the need to mantain it within a particular range optimal for diabetics. I think that drug you bought for her brought down her sugar level too fast, perhaps from its powerful effects on her system. She should take anti-diabetics prescribed by her physician in appropriate dosage to ensure a healthful life.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by frisky2good(m): 8:32am On May 13, 2017
The drug you gave to her is probably making her body produce too much insulin. You really need to consult her doctors before giving her drugs. Low blood sugar kills faster than high blood sugar.

DaddyGngeess:
My mum has diabetes for more than 17 years now and she has been controlling it well, she is 74 now still looking good, i bought her a medecine last year from istanbul after taking it she went for check up and her doctor tell her to be drinking 7up that her sugar level is very low, me i am not understanding oo

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by emperormossad(m): 8:34am On May 13, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:

Sugar doesn't exactly "cause" diabetes. It is the failure of the pancreas to produce INSULIN to break down sugars ingested.

Of course, too much sugar consumption means more insulin to break it down. So it would likely aggravate it if the pancreas is dysfunctional in the first place.
Not enough insulin being produced is Type 1 DM. Type 2 involves resistance by the body cells to insulin produced. You're right though, ain't sugar causing it but the body.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by emperormossad(m): 8:36am On May 13, 2017
Mpanyi:
Nonsense Nigeria scholars and Media. What the Type 2 diabetes is was not explained for all to understand and appreciate the report more.
Type 2 DM is inability of the body to respond to insulin produced by the pancreas, hence called 'insulin resistance' DM, unlike Type 1 which involves relatively low amount of insulin produced to cater for glucose control.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 8:38am On May 13, 2017
pweetygiftofGod:
This has claimed several lives, I just lost my dad because of this thing called diabetes, God please let affliction not rise a second time, IJN, amen cry cry
Be strong on your loss. Be good.

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by FunkyAlhaji2015: 8:48am On May 13, 2017
pweetygiftofGod:
This has claimed several lives, I just lost my dad because of this thing called diabetes, God please let affliction not rise a second time, IJN, amen cry cry
You have to be careful then, Diabete is genetical transferred. Exercise, drinking in moderation (alcohol) and avoid junk food. These are things you must do. Life is sacred and must be guided with utmost care.

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by ImpressionsNG: 8:50am On May 13, 2017
You should make it a habit to monitor your blood sugar/glucose levels, to notice and quickly act upon the preliminary symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

Meanwhile there is an inexpensive and completely natural solution for diabetes prevention or management.. It works wonders from what I've found.

http://www.impressions.ng/ruzu-bitters-is-an-excellent-natural-remedy-for-diabetes/
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mosseuirdoctore(m): 9:08am On May 13, 2017
pweetygiftofGod:

Its not about affliction arising or not..
DM especially this type 2 has some familial tendencies meaning if someone related to you had it, u are already at risk..
So start now,watch what goes into ur body,exercise frequently and go for regular check ups..u should even know how to check ur blood glucose level..learn more about the disease and protect itself,then maybe,just maybe,affliction will not arise a second time..

3 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Mekanus(m): 9:08am On May 13, 2017
Statsocial:

Lol has punch become a Scientific journal?
May be you are the bad reader for not knowing that this research would have a more detailed Methodology and conclusion on a scientific data base like Researchgate.
I didn't say the article should have carried the whole methodology in the research. I expected them to put up some recommendations since they have decided to put it up on a newspaper.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Worrisome Exodus Of Nigerian Doctors - Dr. Ojinmah Uche (NMA) President / Question: How Can Moringa Help You Lose Weight? / •get Rid Of Your Fibroids Naturally,hypertension And Kidney Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.