Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future (18979 Views)

Social Media Is Ruining Your Life (I Quit) / Gionee Service Centre Staff Are Ruining The Brand / 6 Ways Social Networks Are Ruining Your Life - Naijatechguy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Abudu2000(m): 10:53am On May 14, 2017
This is the most stupidest topic i ve seen al my life.. Whoever is behind thia topic will Never move forward since his aim is to take the whole world backward with him....

So you mean the way information is now floating is not good abi Or you mean o should risk my life to travel and visit someome when i could just snapchat him?? Or you mean i should go see a psychiatrist when I'm depressed when the Snapchat filters is already making people smile...

Mhen i am not understanding ooo, this kind of post are very dangerous and honestly, the op ia even right .i m trying to lay out nairalander coz it seems there ia a certain mod seun has employed and he is really xxxxxxxx

I swear if i can forget nairaland i will be very glad coz it's prime time is over...

Smh

2 Likes

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by webincomeplus(m): 11:14am On May 14, 2017
JeffreyJamez:

Self Deciplined people indeed. Have you heard about the "Sucide Challenge"?. You should Google it. I repeat Nigerians are learning when it comes to social media addiction. So save me that sermon of our social media addiction is why the country is the way it is. The country has been like this since 1960 before the rise of Social Media.
I know someone would imply the bolded despite the caveat in my original post. Now, you can stay off my mention, please.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by olayiwolar1(m): 11:40am On May 14, 2017
The future will sort itself. And for your information, this is not happening only in Nigeria. This has been reported since 2005 while Nigeria is still using 3310 I guess - http://www.techaddiction.ca/internet_addiction_statistics.html while a new report was also conducted in 2011 according to Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-teens-internet-addiction-idUSTRE74I6OA20110520. Even Huffpost had their own side of story about this in 2015. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tk-facts-about-teens-on-social-media-that-are-really-scary_us_55a7c6f0e4b0896514d06eab

Just get use to it Nigga and stop disturbing us here abeg.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by RosaConsidine: 12:05pm On May 14, 2017
Like anything else, the problem is not with social media but with usage. Anything can be (and often, anything useful is) abused. What one just needs to do is encourage moderation and proper usage instead of blaming the tool for its abuse.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by bareal(m): 12:23pm On May 14, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
how many people have drowned??

No let him drink a bucket full of water and watch him groaning to die at all cost.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Basic123: 12:44pm On May 14, 2017
alignacademy:

You're right; there's certainly more noise these days.

But then again, is there really more noise today or are there just more tools amplifying the noise that has always been there?

Humans have been goofing off since known history and will always do so.

It's just that we now have more tools to express our wisdom - and foolishness.

Wisdom has never really been so "sexy" so invariably much foolishness floats to the top.

"Grandma, who is that gagged man in the car trunk?"

"Oh, that? That was my pre-wedding picture with your Grandpa"...

1 Like

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Bahddo(m): 12:49pm On May 14, 2017
bareal:

You seem not to understand him, social media gives us opportunity to leave too many details of our past unlike the days of our fathers. yes, indecency is not limited to our generation but hardly can you find them common place.
Moreover, everything about some people is on social media, I repeat everything not minding the negative implications if any.
Lol. This is like blaming your phone speakers for the bad message contained in a song you are playing, or for how often you play songs.

The problem is that many of you guys don't read anything about history. The history you know stopped at what fathers and mothers said about when they were little.

I hope you know that in some cultures in the past, people walked about near _naked covering only the lower private parts. Boobs would be bouncing up and down. Even up till our day, a few cultures are still that way. Yet those do not qualify either as indecency or commonplace to you guys. Indecency is only when a girl wears a low-cut dress exposing cleavage and posts on instagram. undecided

In the past, the Romans engaged in public sex orgies in some of their festivals. Are you aware? Yet when you see a guy hold a girl at the waist, you scream indecency as if you don't do worse. To you guys, decency is how good one is at pretending.

Man has always been a social creature, craving acceptance into the herd. To get accepted, he'd use whatever tool is available. We only happen to have more tools now, so expect man to be more expressive of himself - both the good and the bad. You think it's bad now? It's going to get worse.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by shaqhead: 12:54pm On May 14, 2017
stellarsfinest:

In reply to the topic of discussion
Social media is like freedom......... and freedom is a test of maturity and self control after being given
Beautifully said!
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by bareal(m): 1:43pm On May 14, 2017
Bahddo:
Lol. This is like blaming your phone speakers for the bad message contained in a song you are playing, or for how often you play songs.

The problem is that many of you guys don't read anything about history. The history you know stopped at what fathers and mothers said about when they were little.

I hope you know that in some cultures in the past, people walked about near _naked covering only the lower private parts. Boobs would be bouncing up and down. Even up till our day, a few cultures are still that way. Yet those do not qualify either as indecency or commonplace to you guys. Indecency is only when a girl wears a low-cut dress exposing cleavage and posts on instagram. undecided

In the past, the Romans engaged in public sex orgies in some of their festivals. Are you aware? Yet when you see a guy hold a girl at the waist, you scream indecency as if you don't do worse. To you guys, decency is how good one is at pretending.

Man has always been a social creature, craving acceptance into the herd. To get accepted, he'd use whatever tool is available. We only happen to have more tools now, so expect man to be more expressive of himself - both the good and the bad. You think it's bad now? It's going to get worse.

Hmmmm....I am sorry sir, you still do not understand! you just rushed to type an epistle of a response.
No argument about when indecency started, as a matter of fact it's from time immemorial. By the way, you and I see the 'SOCIAL MEDIA' and NOT other forms of dissimilating information as the next best thing.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by donem: 2:02pm On May 14, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
slay aunties and stay queens grin
Include the pepper them gang too

1 Like

Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 14, 2017
The point made in the OP is invalid, to me. Previous generations left PLENTY of so called 'useless information' as well. Or do you think every single stone tablet or scroll found contained some important secret of the universe? Or every fragment of 'valuable history' was just written on tablets and scrolls and there were no ridiculous things to be found there?

In ancient Rome, people had very many ridiculous traditions that'd make you cringe so hard when you read about them today. In fact, without social media, people in the future would have a harder time understanding the cultural impact of music, television, etc on humans of today. Supposing 'Snapchat filters' were to evolve into, say, a weapon of war, it'd be a very interesting fact to know that these deadly weapons of war were once used by slay queens to look beautiful. Every single part of history is important and that includes the things you look down on today
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 14, 2017
It's sad some don't appreciate the gift of social media. Even this forum is a form of social media so really those who condemn others are guilty of the same.

The truth is social media gives people a voice that if society had their way they might be silenced. Also it exposes the fakes cause you can see in reality those who live to envy others and even those who present a false image of their life to appear better when in reality they are making ends meet like the rest of us.

Don't be jealous if someone is more appreciated or adored on social media it has its reality and it's either you block or mute them if your tired of seeing them. work on yourself everyone started with 0 friends sometimes people aren't just into looks and shallow things that flow with likeliness
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Chuksemi(m): 3:15pm On May 14, 2017
Bahddo:
Ridiculous post. You took your subjective dislike of instagram and snapchat filters and made a mountain out of it. That's silly.

Don't flatter yourself, in hundreds of years from now, your photos wouldn't even be relevant. Same way most of us couldn't care less what people discussed in the 10th century. The only people who would be remotely interested are historians and other people who wish to study how social media has evolved over time.

The year 2017 wouldn't be relevant either. People would only mention the 21st century, and at times group the 20th and 21st century together.

You seem to underestimate the power of technology. Even right now, technology has made data processing relatively easy. Don't even imagine how it would be in future, when 1 terabyte of data would be to them the way 1 megabyte of data is to us.

Don't pity future generations. They would be just fine with or without your photos, in fact chances are they would do more with augumented and virtual reality. Pity those in the the current generation that believe snapchat filters can possibly ruin the future.

Bless you.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by savagefinder: 3:24pm On May 14, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:

I don't Underestimate the power of technology. If you check my post well, I'm writing from the "Family" point of view. Don't tell me you haven't seen pictures of your grandparents or parents when they were kids. Oh I guess their pictures meant nothing to you.. The trend continues. You expect those in the future to automatically remove filters from your photos with augmented reality or VR, though it's possible but Did you have to remove filters to see your dad's picture as a youth. The useless amount of data we're leaving is too much. Let me remind you even in 2017 the past years still matter. The same way 2017 will matter in years to come. History is an essential part of humanity, technology cannot do without it. It's as simple as that.
bro truth be said.. Ur post is rather showing a Lil bit of sentiment like as if u have a problem with platforms, Facebook for example is a collection of every type of humans, u see the jokers and the business men, Instagram has helped us make marketing very simple, following the right channels will get you more informed and about the pictures from what I know, when people date they take professional pictures which they save to the Internet which has proven to be the best place to keep your files. 100 years to come, your children can easily scroll through your Google Drive and relive your life through the pictures, I don't really get ur point on this leaving excess data but I do know that the Internet cannot be exhausted, it has infinite capacity and I can tell you that, no matter how large the junk photos are, there are also a greater amount of very important pictures and info that is stored on the Internet with the help of the social media.. I for example have very important pictures that I save to the Internet that without Facebook, I wouldn't..
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by savagefinder: 3:32pm On May 14, 2017
webincomeplus:
This addiction to social media is ruining everything. And it's bad for even the economy as a whole.

When paid employees spend more time on social media rather than concentrate on the job they are paid for, their productivity reduces, the employer records less progress and profits than expected. The ultimate result? Employers are forced to lay off employees just to stay afloat.

Now, before some skunks read shitty meanings into my words, I've not said social media addiction is the only reason for increased loss of jobs due to dwindling fortunes of employers. But it sure is one of the contributing factors.

In addition, Nigerians would be better off if only they can cut down on the hours spent on "slaying", "calling out", "reacting", "shading", "trolling", "bashing", and doing all sorts on social media. If only they could channel that time into brainstorming for innovative business ideas that can better their fortunes, that would not only grant them financial independence but also create jobs and improve the economy.
I guess yall think that the slaying and all is just for waste, enter Twitter and Instagram and you will understand that if you want to market your goods or a new service, these slay people are invaluable. Even mtn employ the help of the these guys.

The honest truth about the social media is if you truly are living a honest life.
If you claim that you dislike all these people with snapchat filter and play play indecent girls, you can unfollow them and follow only users that post about history and motivational quotes and discovery.
If you are pastor, you can follow Christian channels.
And maybe then you can begin to appreciate the social media
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by babapressy(m): 4:54pm On May 14, 2017
Really
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by adoyi81: 6:58pm On May 14, 2017
Bahddo:

Don't pity future generations. They would be just fine with or without your photos, in fact chances are they would do more with augumented and virtual reality. Pity those in the the current generation that believe snapchat filters can possibly ruin the future.
They would be just fine you say,let me remind you of a hidden danger.
A good percentage of waste generated from all these tech facilities are radioactive in nature ,and you know what do to the environment.
The rate we are going,the future you talked about may just be a mirage.
We have already stretched the earth resources
What would be left for the future?
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Bahddo(m): 7:21pm On May 14, 2017
adoyi81:

They would be just fine you say,let me remind you of a hidden danger.
A good percentage of waste generated from all these tech facilities are radioactive in nature ,and you know what do to the environment.
The rate we are going,the future you talked about may just be a mirage.
We have already stretched the earth resources
What would be left for the future?
wait o, bros... You raised a good point, but I don't see the relationship between social media and radioactive waste. Please help me understand. The dog ears the op was complaining about are radioactive or what?
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:11pm On May 14, 2017
savagefinder:
bro truth be said.. Ur post is rather showing a Lil bit of sentiment like as if u have a problem with platforms, Facebook for example is a collection of every type of humans, u see the jokers and the business men, Instagram has helped us make marketing very simple, following the right channels will get you more informed and about the pictures from what I know, when people date they take professional pictures which they save to the Internet which has proven to be the best place to keep your files. 100 years to come, your children can easily scroll through your Google Drive and relive your life through the pictures, I don't really get ur point on this leaving excess data but I do know that the Internet cannot be exhausted, it has infinite capacity and I can tell you that, no matter how large the junk photos are, there are also a greater amount of very important pictures and info that is stored on the Internet with the help of the social media.. I for example have very important pictures that I save to the Internet that without Facebook, I wouldn't..

I try as much not to be sentimental in my posts but like I said everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I respect that. I only used the platforms as a case study. I don't have any thing against any of the social networks.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by EyeBeeK(m): 5:44am On May 15, 2017
Like with any tool, we need to be very careful about the information w release into cyberspace.

The internet never forgets.. http://deolaonline.com/the-danger-in-being-sociable/
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by adoyi81: 12:41pm On May 15, 2017
Bahddo:
wait o, bros... You raised a good point, but I don't see the relationship between social media and radioactive waste. Please help me understand. The dog ears the op was complaining about are radioactive or what?
I was reacting to a line in your post, where you wrote that "the future would be just".
As for relationship between social media & radio-wastes, on both sides of the services I.e provider & user is electronic gadgets which will eventually end up as radioactive waste. Base on stat,the numbers of users is rising exponentially that means more wastes, which most countries can't dispose properly.
I m not against technological advancement,but the rise in technological advancement is coming at a cost to the environment.
We need to act,that's My honest view.
Re: How Social Media Is Silently Ruining The Future by Octopus3000: 11:15am On Oct 05, 2020
Social networks are very important only as a communication tool but also as a tool for business promotion. Yes, I'm talking about digital marketing. Over time, you begin to understand how important it is to use digital marketing tools. At first, I did not believe in the power of digital marketing and the fact that it can somehow affect the development of the business, and only now I realized how important it is to work in this direction and use high-quality software. You can't do digital marketing without SaaS Lifetime Deals software. These guys are real professionals and I have been using their software for various purposes for a long time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hw 2 Suscribe For 25MB & 50MB Day Plan Wit Just #150 & #200 On MTN.. / 'Galaxy Gear' Watch-like Phone By Samsung To Be Introduced Next Month / SIM Registration: FG To Sanction Telcos Over Customers’ Harassment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.