Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,981 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! (2534 Views)

Flashback : How Chief Awolowo Dethroned The Alaafin Of Oyo, Oba Adeyemi / RE: A More ABSOLUTELY Convincing Evidence To Show Gowon Released Chief Awolowo / Youtube Video That Showed Gowon Released Chief. Awolowo From Prison In 1966 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Mbeki: 4:28pm On May 14, 2017
Exclusive: Awo regretted not supporting Yoruba break-away
By Akinwole Ojo
Late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo in his last days, regretted the fact that a separate Yoruba nation did not emerge during the 1967-70 civil war, confidential sources told Irohinoodua as many faithful this month dedicate weeks of memorial to the icon who passed on May 1987, exactly 30 years ago.
Irohinoodua was informed by a close aide of Chief Awolowo that the former Premier of Western Region expressed deep regrets that he supported the unity of Nigeria instead of allowing the largely Yoruba South West to delink from Nigeria during the civil war.
The mainly Igbo South East had waged a protracted and heroic battle to delink from the then confederation. The 30 month old campaign was aimed at having an independent Biafra nation for the Igbos and their immediate neigbours. Awolowo was in prison as at the time the 1966 coup took place. He was later released and made the Federal Commissioner for Finance and also the Vice Chairman of the Federal Executive Council, (FEC).
In a confidential document sourced by our correspondent, Awo, in early 1987 divulged to a confidant, Chief Micheal Omoyele that his, (Awo) biggest regret was that a sovereign Yoruba nation did not emerge during the Biafra campaign. This may suggest that later political and economic developments in Nigerian post war history constituted a significant disappointment to the late sage.
Chief Omoleye said “ Chief Awolowo was never known to take action after deep thought and to regret it later. On my honour, I state here that the greatest regret of Chief Obafemi Awolowo was that he did not excise the Western Region out of Nigeria just as Endeley of the Cameroon did before the attainment of independence in 1960. Chief Awolowo personally told me this during my private discussion with him shortly before he died. I have kept this issue from the public because I thought our Northern brothers were sincere in their political programmes.”
He said further “What brought up the matter of Awo’s regret was the revelation which I had that Oduduwa might have sent Awolowo to the Yoruba race instead of wanting to rule Nigeria to which the Chief replied: “I never, for once, thought of it that way. But it would have been a different story today if I had concentrated my energy to advance the cause of the Yoruba race. We would have shown them the way even though I might have been labeled a tribal leader.” Chief Omoleye, a journalist and former Editor of Sketch Newspaper said he told him in the private conversation that “it would have been better to be the head of a rat than being the tail of an elephant.” He said Awo later told him that his most profound regret was to have kept the Yoruba nation in the Nigerian fold when he should have worked for the excision of the South West for a sovereign Yoruba nation. Omoleye thought Awo’s decision to share his thoughts with him must have been informed by the expectation that the journalist would make public Awo’s position at least at a point in Nigerian history.
Many scholars however have continued to put the decision of the Yoruba ruling class to support Nigerian unity at the time on their lack of an effective strategic position through which the campaign would have been waged, for instance, the Yoruba military core never for once supported the possible self determination of the Yoruba South West.
Since independence, the country has continued to squelch in the mud of corruption, nepotism, insecurity, arms proliferation, immorality, hunger and starvation of the multitude amidst the lies and deceit of an inherently corrupt political class supported by equally greedy and self-serving middle and intellectual class, pushing the country of 180 million people to one of the poorest in the world

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by hornyofife: 4:31pm On May 14, 2017
hmm, this must be a dirty secret...

anyways, was that why he chose rat poison as his fastest and safest journey to hell? just asking..

God is not sleeping bro... see let me tell you one thing, the 3million he starved to death are back to life and they shall take back their country and she will stand tall above all her pairs

www.nairaland.com/attachments/648287_awo_rat_poison__jpgdadabdc6f31be38d4ff0091e296a0563

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by kristonium(m): 4:31pm On May 14, 2017
A lot more revelations now coming forth!
The unity of Nigeria now stand in doubt. If Nigeria can't have regional autonomy then break might be inevitable!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by conductor111: 4:34pm On May 14, 2017
What an adult (Ojukwu) saw while sitting, a kid (Awolowlo) can never see even while standing.

Same way I'm laughing at current Yoruba crop of youths. They'd regret not seceding now they still have youthfulness until it's late and they cry on their sick bed like Awolowlo.

By then Biafra must have been a great flourishing country while they'd still be dragging whether Buhari's grand child can rule from hospital bed in London or not. Or whether Nigeria should continue importing toothpicks or not.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by hornyofife: 4:38pm On May 14, 2017
His greed and quest for power never allowed him. He and Ojukwu had agreed to take the west out of Nigeria once biafra was declared but because he was made minister of finance and promised to be made President hence he betrayed his fellow southerner and even when ahead to institute policies that just wasted the lives of innocent and harmless children...

In those children are engineers, lawyers, doctors, professor, religious leaders, technologist, teachers, business tycoons,world leaders, inventors,soldiers,scientist etc.

GOD IS NOT SLEEPING. THE ZOO WILL FALL. IT IS A PROPHECY

Now Tinubu is following his footsteps because of greed.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by sorry1(m): 4:41pm On May 14, 2017
He has two greatest regrets; 1. Not aligning with igbos.
2. Taking otapiapia out of shame & depravity.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by hornyofife: 4:50pm On May 14, 2017
OP were is your source by the way

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Xway(m): 5:14pm On May 14, 2017
hornyofife:
was that why he chose rat poison as his fastest and safest journey to hell? just asking..

God is not sleeping bro... see let me tell you one thing, the 3million he starved to death are back to life and they shall take back their country and she will stand tall above all her pairs

www.nairaland.com/attachments/648287_awo_rat_poison__jpgdadabdc6f31be38d4ff0091e296a0563
He led his afonja brothers to everlasting slavery.
And it is manifesting in their every day life activities, As worshiping of there masters up north intensifies.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by raker300: 5:18pm On May 14, 2017
His regret is that his people are still kissing up to the people that messed him up.

Rat poison man

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Nobody: 7:11pm On May 14, 2017
na to park here be that..

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by obonujoker(m): 7:59pm On May 14, 2017
Was that why he gulped rat poison??

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Funlord2(m): 8:45pm On May 14, 2017
Mbeki:
Exclusive: Awo regretted not supporting Yoruba break-away
By Akinwole Ojo
Late sage, Chief Obafemi Awolowo in his last days, regretted the fact that a separate Yoruba nation did not emerge during the 1967-70 civil war, confidential sources told Irohinoodua as many faithful this month dedicate weeks of memorial to the icon who passed on May 1987, exactly 30 years ago.
Irohinoodua was informed by a close aide of Chief Awolowo that the former Premier of Western Region expressed deep regrets that he supported the unity of Nigeria instead of allowing the largely Yoruba South West to delink from Nigeria during the civil war.
The mainly Igbo South East had waged a protracted and heroic battle to delink from the then confederation. The 30 month old campaign was aimed at having an independent Biafra nation for the Igbos and their immediate neigbours. Awolowo was in prison as at the time the 1966 coup took place. He was later released and made the Federal Commissioner for Finance and also the Vice Chairman of the Federal Executive Council, (FEC).
In a confidential document sourced by our correspondent, Awo, in early 1987 divulged to a confidant, Chief Micheal Omoyele that his, (Awo) biggest regret was that a sovereign Yoruba nation did not emerge during the Biafra campaign. This may suggest that later political and economic developments in Nigerian post war history constituted a significant disappointment to the late sage.
Chief Omoleye said “ Chief Awolowo was never known to take action after deep thought and to regret it later. On my honour, I state here that the greatest regret of Chief Obafemi Awolowo was that he did not excise the Western Region out of Nigeria just as Endeley of the Cameroon did before the attainment of independence in 1960. Chief Awolowo personally told me this during my private discussion with him shortly before he died. I have kept this issue from the public because I thought our Northern brothers were sincere in their political programmes.”
He said further “What brought up the matter of Awo’s regret was the revelation which I had that Oduduwa might have sent Awolowo to the Yoruba race instead of wanting to rule Nigeria to which the Chief replied: “I never, for once, thought of it that way. But it would have been a different story today if I had concentrated my energy to advance the cause of the Yoruba race. We would have shown them the way even though I might have been labeled a tribal leader.” Chief Omoleye, a journalist and former Editor of Sketch Newspaper said he told him in the private conversation that “it would have been better to be the head of a rat than being the tail of an elephant.” He said Awo later told him that his most profound regret was to have kept the Yoruba nation in the Nigerian fold when he should have worked for the excision of the South West for a sovereign Yoruba nation. Omoleye thought Awo’s decision to share his thoughts with him must have been informed by the expectation that the journalist would make public Awo’s position at least at a point in Nigerian history.
Many scholars however have continued to put the decision of the Yoruba ruling class to support Nigerian unity at the time on their lack of an effective strategic position through which the campaign would have been waged, for instance, the Yoruba military core never for once supported the possible self determination of the Yoruba South West.
Since independence, the country has continued to squelch in the mud of corruption, nepotism, insecurity, arms proliferation, immorality, hunger and starvation of the multitude amidst the lies and deceit of an inherently corrupt political class supported by equally greedy and self-serving middle and intellectual class, pushing the country of 180 million people to one of the poorest in the world

Your source travel?

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Mbeki: 7:43pm On May 16, 2017
Truth coming out!

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Odingo1: 8:40pm On May 16, 2017
Greedy quest for power is Awolowo downfall,he was deceived by the north and was used and dumbed. He would have seceded with larger yoruba land with Illorin or even entire Kwara with Kogi, now it is not possible again and they have lose Kwara entirely and may lose lagos join if care is not taken.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by vagabondMynd44: 8:46pm On May 16, 2017
his greatest regret is showing mercy to your people during civil war. look at you ingrates now

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Arda1000(m): 8:49pm On May 16, 2017
Afonjas una don see am na, so all this una Energy wey una dey use against Biafrans make una channel it to una ewudu eating Republic, less wen una grow old and realized una mistakes just like Awo did, una go drink otapiapia just like him

5 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by mikolo80: 9:01pm On Aug 09, 2017
you know you're a boss when nobodies be bitching about you 30 nay 40 years later

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by 7lives: 10:24pm On Aug 09, 2017
hornyofife:
OP were is your source by the way

His source is his frustrated life, if you believe that nonsense you'll believe anything.
Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:28pm On Aug 09, 2017
His eyes only opened when he lost the 1979 and 1982 Presidential elections in a row to Shagari from which he then started a campaign of calumny through the jaundiced Ibadan expressway press to discredit the elected civilian administration and called for Buhari to take over thinking that a Fulani man will remove a Fulani man and hand the Presidency to him.

This my friends is what our frog master vagabond is repeating today and later they will call themselves sophisticated!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:29pm On Aug 09, 2017
mikolo80:
you know you're a boss when nobodies be bitching about you 30 nay 40 years later

Just like GEJ will be in your ewedu guzzling mouths for generations to come

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by StOla: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2017
Even in death, the great Awo is still revered by the rejected Jews.

A man who avoided the anarchy that Ojukwu cunningly thought he could divert to the SW.

The only regretful action that I will criticize Awolowo for is the decision to ensure that all properties owned by Igbos in the Western Region and Lagos before the war, was duly returned. Even the fellow Eastern region neighbours did not do so.

Lesson: Never be kind or merciful to an ingrate.

3 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by RevDesm0ndJuju: 10:32pm On Aug 09, 2017
Chief Omoleye, a journalist and former Editor of Sketch Newspaper said he told him in the private conversation that “it would have been better to be the head of a rat than being the tail of an elephant.”

And so he died as a common house rat

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Sweetguy25: 10:36pm On Aug 09, 2017
Yorubas have benefited from Nigeria more than any other ethnicity. Awo didnt make a mistake.
Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
StOla:

The only regretful action that I will criticize Awolowo for is the decision to ensure that all properties owned by Igbos in the Western Region and Lagos before the war, was duly returned. .
No man's land again grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by mikolo80: 12:55am On Aug 10, 2017
RevDesm0ndJuju:

Just like GEJ will be in your ewedu guzzling mouths for generations to come
you still our biatches .like Jona that even otuoke will forget by 2019
Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 10, 2017
Personally, I think there is something wrong with Yorubaas and how they reason. Their sense of reasoning is based on short term; not long term. This has nothing to do with intelligence. There is a cultural aspect of yorubaa that make them unable to visualize things years in advance. They seem to regret after some yrs. Conversely, Igbos have never regretted a decision they have taken...not one; for the most part their decisions are apt, justified and always turn out to be the commonplace years later. Go back to 1960s till date and check every decision Igbos have made whether with respect to Nigeria or supporting a particular presidential candidate, it has been right on the money. But with yorubaa, most of their collective decisions turn out to be a disaster. For example, Igbos warned they will never support Buhari, but Yorubaa decisively campaigned and voted for him, now look at it.

I think the reason for the disparity in decision making skills is because Igbos for the most part base their decisions on fairness, justice and equity, and most importantly facts which always turns out for good. But Yorubaa based their decision on what they can get, absolute selfishness, greed and sentiments...I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH FACTS YOU GIVE THEM, LIE LIE, THEY WON'T LISTEN. Try telling a yorubaa man that Hausa-Fulani killed Abiola, Killed his wife Kudirat, almost slaughtered Gen. Oladipo Diya, instigated Awolowo's suicide( IBB was going to arrest him for coup), betrayed most of the Yorubaa senior officers that fought the civil; so-called Black Scorpion died a poor man. Currently same Hausa-Fulani are manhandling Osinbanjo like a small boy, these are all facts but Yorubaa will never listen. When you base your decisions on hedonistic reasons and sentiments, your decisions will always turn out for the worse and you will regret. Another example is the Niger Delta evil of using ones' resources for the country, Igbos are saying: Niger Delta under Biafra, you will have 100% control of your resources, conversely Yorubaas want this injustice of One Nigeria to continue because of what they are benefiting; strictly selfish reasons.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by RevDesm0ndJuju: 2:05am On Aug 10, 2017
lionjungle3000:
Personally, I think there is something wrong with Yorubaas and how they reason. Their sense of reasoning is based on short term; not long term. This has nothing to do with intelligence. There is a cultural aspect of yorubaa that make them unable to visualize things years in advance. They seem to regret after some yrs. Conversely, Igbos have never regretted a decision they have taken...not one; for the most part their decisions are apt, justified and always turn out to be the commonplace years later. Go back to 1960s till date and check every decision Igbos have made whether with respect to Nigeria or supporting a particular presidential candidate, it has been right on the money. But with yorubaa, most of their collective decisions turn out to be a disaster. For example, Igbos warned they will never support Buhari, but Yorubaa decisively campaigned and voted for him, now look at it.

The average Yoruba is driven by collective thought and peer pressure and can't seem to arrive on his own conclusions without considering the general and most popular opinion among his people.

I want to believe that the Yorubas are NOT willing to sacrifice being ostracized from his family, friends and society at large for their beliefs or opinion so they will bury whatever notion they hold even if it contradicts their own core beliefs and facts and go for the general narrative of Yoruba society.

I know this as a fact and from personal experience with my long term affiliation with Yoruba people in Yoruba land.

The Yoruba will not accept any one in their fold if he doesn't reason, act, talk or react like they do. And this trait is so pronounced among the Yoruba women who will never ever give you a chance if you are not in "Yoruba street".

The problem is compounded by general laziness by your average Yoruba to do research on their own. Getting to read up for an exam is different from seeking to find truth on its own. The Yoruba lacks the discipline to do independent or casual research. This has made the Yorubas more susceptible to propaganda and official or popular narratives in their media and society which they swallow down hook, line and sinker without deliberating on the veracity of what he is reading.

This is the main problem which Yorubas fail to factor. Unlike the Igbo who owes nobody an excuse and can clearly distinguish an opinion from facts, the Yoruba needs a feedback from society to explain to him how this new fact is relevant and true.

Tinubu is an overrated politician whose only advantage is that he knows Yorubas can easily be swayed by their trusted propaganda media and from there he conquered the Yoruba's ability to sit back and reason. But just like every other Yoruba, Tinubu obviously does not seem to have delved analytically into the actual political intrigues of Nigeria especially that concerning the north. A simple trip down history would have made
Tinubu hesitant to enter an alliance with the north.

If you contrast this with the ever pragmatic Igbos, who at the time of independence where heavily pro-Nigeria but will later be forced to think of leaving Nigeria, we see that the Igbos can be very pragmatic in adapting to challenges that are thrown at him while the Yoruba can't but just keep repeating the same mistake over and over.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by ameri9ja: 2:27am On Aug 10, 2017
Yeah, he reneged on his promise to Ojukwu
Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 10, 2017
dey don knack, knack, hammer Afonja coneheads for this thread like tomorrow no dey.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by diadem10: 4:25am On Aug 10, 2017
Now I know Osu are generally stupid. Omoyele stated that Awolowo regretted for not having Yoruba as a sovereign state before independence. He was probably thinking of how he should have canvassed for more support to vehemently oppose the one Nigeria proposed by that stupid clown called Zik.

Cut to one stupid irunhowa claiming one aide without a name told him of how Awolowo regretted about the civil war which happened several years after independence. Lol. Awolowo never regretted anything about the civil war. In fact, he's quite proud wherever he is for the job he did against the greedy self entitled Osu who embarked to Ore and wanted to map Lagos into their useless Biafra. The only thing he regretted was allowing these Osu back into Lagos.

No wonder their emperor them called pig and eediots! They have got nothing upstairs other than lies and victim mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by hucienda: 5:34am On Aug 10, 2017
Source?
Re: Chief Awolowo's Greatest Life Regret! by malakus(m): 6:09am On Aug 10, 2017

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Only Access Road To Senator President Bukola Saraki Home Town From Mokwa / Anambra Guber: Work Resumes On Enugu-onitsha Exp.. Nwoye / APC: Tension In Abuja As Chris Ngige And Another Top Minister May Face Sanction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.