Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? (21937 Views)

Dangers Of Having Cockroaches In Your House / Cockroaches Eat Glue On Envelopes. / How Can I Get Rid Of Black Spots On My Face? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by mimon79(m): 8:56pm On Jan 13, 2010
Why not try the new Yar'adua spray? I heard it makes roaches&rodents go "missing in action"grin snipe!
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by mamagee3(f): 11:44pm On Jan 13, 2010
Spray insecticides or pest Control and the insects would flee.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by elai123(f): 12:18am On Jan 14, 2010
Bisijohn:

You can buy Snippers at Idumota market where they sell insecticides generally. When the tiny coackroaches invaded my apartment through the furniture we bought then, my wife spent huge amount on so many insecticides (Chalk,Raid etc) but all to no avail. It was when we got to know about snippers and applied it, t all the coackroaches and their eggs perished. Snipper works like magic. In fact, if it is sold for N5,000 is not bad at all.

i agree with you about new furnitures and these small types of cockroaches, they re quite different from those that are associated with filth those re big and do fly
babuji:

@Desthan, please where did you get the snipper in abuja?
highly interested.

from all these barrow boys selling camphor etc i usually get from garki market
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Liss: 12:31am On Jan 14, 2010
madam L:

Get someone to fumigate your house. I did it once and was free from roaches for a good eight months. That was pure bliss. Cleaning won't send them running away.

Who helped you fumigate your house? Did you call a fumigating company or something~? I doubt you are in Nigeria o as I hardly hear of credible people fumigating people's houses. Kindly share who fumigated your house.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Spike88(f): 1:03am On Jan 14, 2010
1. Keep your house clean (not as simple as you think if you're not do not know how, forget housemaids they're even worse)
2. Empty your septic tank regularly!! (especially if you live in areas with a high water table)
3. Ensure you have good plumbing:-many people in the Lekki to Ajah area have atrocious plumbing usually there's no U-bend or elbow bend in sinks (floor drains, etc) plumbing which holds a small amount of water prevents critters and bad smells from coming back up. This is actually dangerous as bad gasses, methane etc get back into your living area.
4. Use insecticide for not so serious cases or fumigate quarterly (remember most of those critters like to keep in dark corners and stay usually at ground level to don't just spray into the air at eye level and above).
5. At the end of the day you need to find the 'source' and eliminate it permanently. Get a proper pest control professional. There are 99 fakes to 1 pro so be cautious not to throw your money away!
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Tcrack(m): 1:10am On Jan 14, 2010
Ota piiiaaaaaaaaaaaaa ppiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ppiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by An0nimus: 2:59am On Jan 14, 2010
Solution? - otapiapia. . . al dis talk bout clean up ur house poster.una clean house no get insects? even if na one?. . Tsheew8-)
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:06am On Jan 14, 2010
Nne you have been properly adviced.

OTAPIAPIA is your instant solution to roaches. Mix it with naphtaline crystal (Kamphor) for longer lasting action.

WARNING: IF THE COCKROACH STILL NEVER DIE AFTER ONE MONTH, CLEAN YOUR HOUSE AND CALL FUMIGATORS
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by 0hsisi: 3:07am On Jan 14, 2010
Is otapiapia not for mice?
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by akindelesi: 4:37am On Jan 14, 2010
@poster, i really feel for you o.
I mean for someone to post about cockroaches on NL it means they must have gone totally out of control.
The cockroaches must reli be feeling like stars now!!!
I dont think all the suggestions above can help you o.
Why not burn down the house and rebuild? grin grin grin
If that doesn't work, then you can follow their suggestions

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by akindelesi: 4:40am On Jan 14, 2010
I mean for someone to post about cockroaches on NL it means they must have gone totally out of control.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by platinumnk(f): 4:43am On Jan 14, 2010
akindelesi:

Nairaland grin grin grin grin
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by vanunu: 6:49am On Jan 14, 2010
why Cockroaches are every where in Nigeria is because all Nigerian houses have individual sewage system and most of them have cracks in their chambers, therefore no matter how you clean your house , they must surely migrate from the suck-aways at night to your house in search of something to eat.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Meldrick(m): 10:29am On Jan 14, 2010
akindelesi:

I tried to laugh but couldn't then I realized you are not funny. Try something else.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Eggyloo: 2:20pm On Jan 14, 2010
Contrary to most pple's belief, cockroaches are not necessarily as a result of a dirty environment. As long as there is water and foodstuff in your house, then cockroaches are bound to surface.

@ poster:-  Cockroaches in your house is not just about your house alone. If u have neighbours in the same compound, u might be surprised that d drainage system is one that allows cockroaches to "settle" in your zone. So it's not just abt u being neat.

Try these measures
1. Block all drain holes in the kitchen, toilet sink, bathroom and other wash hand basin at night or if u are going to be away from home for a while.

2. While the powder for killing cockroaches may be good, it also dirties the house. U cud try the locally-mixed liquid cockroach killer cos it kips killing even after 3days!!! U cud give some to your neighbours(if u have one).
Do be careful not to apply the locally mixed products when u are about to sleep. Avoid inhaling them.

3. Dust all dried clothes previously washed outside before bringing them back into the house. Same applies for any container, box or electronics kept outside or taken elsewhere or for back from servicing.

4. Try reducing the shady corners and holes in your house. Block holes on the door or wall (esp if there's an Air Con that needs the wall to be broken for it to be fixed).

5. Damp rags shud be spread outside till they dry.

I believe with these u shud be able to reduce the number of annoying cockroaches to the barest minimum.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by tador(m): 3:27pm On Jan 14, 2010
you can get rid of cockroaches by making sure that everywhere is very tidy in your apartment.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by olanie(m): 10:13pm On Jan 14, 2010
Use ''kill it'' , spray d whole can in2 ur apartment. If u can leave that house for 24hrs, you will never see any flying or crawling insects again, atleast for the next four months.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by MrCrackles(m): 10:15pm On Jan 14, 2010
Poster

Why bother yourself when you can eat them
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by coolier(f): 10:53pm On Jan 14, 2010
MrCrackles:

Poster

Why bother yourself when you can eat them

What?
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Daboncrush(m): 11:28pm On Jan 14, 2010
simply sprinkle dops of kerosene at the four corners of your house. The magic works.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by victichy: 6:28am On Jan 15, 2010
Keep your house Clean to avoid them. they are attracted to dirty house.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by harakiri(m): 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2010
(1)Keep your house meticulously clean.
(2)Buy "Rambo" insect powder.Its N50 and very efficient.A little powder can keep killing roaches for months (even up to a year).
(3)Buy raid insecticide spray.It's the only one that really works.I have tried mobil spray on a roach and i was playing hide and seek with the irritating creature.I have also had a roach fly directly at me with mortein spray (nasty stuff! ! !)
grin
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by mikeoscar: 6:54pm On Jan 15, 2010
What are Snippers and where can they be bought? Can they also remove Wallghekos? Oh how I hate ghekos but I cant kill them directly!!

Don't kill Ghekos ,it will be a disruption of useful food chain. The last time I checked, I think Ghekos will help get rid of your roaches, flies and all sorts.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by snthesis(m): 10:07am On Jan 16, 2010
FYI- weda tis a clean/dirty environ, roaches are die hard creatures,if deres eva a nuclear holocaust, guess wat only roaches wud survive
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Basics007: 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2010
I remember those "chalks" men! U just draw a line with it round the room and next morning them roaches are all lyin belly up. Guess they r no more around cos some ITK said they r diabolical or something.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by bizarena(m): 4:23pm On Jan 18, 2010
AWWWWWWWWWWWW, i think your home is not clean,maybe you should try doing some cleaning,or if you want fast result,get otapiapia or Rambow, i think that will do the job but after then you must get rid of every dirt in your home or they will kip comming back, ok,sorry if i insult you. Cheers
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Daboncrush(m): 3:56am On Mar 04, 2010
I dont think most people have intensions of marrying their boy/girl friend, they only enjoy the fun of it.
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by Bestglo(f): 3:21pm On Mar 05, 2010
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by agathamari(f): 1:26pm On Mar 06, 2010
boric acid
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by matarese(m): 9:36pm On Mar 10, 2010
Recently tried PEST OVER. costs about 1000 Naira. very effective. you can get it at any Nett Pharmacy (Opebi, Gbagada etc) in lagos. or call 07025167996, 07051614747. these are the numbers of the manufacturers' not mine. they'll tell you where you can get it around you,
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by MrCrackles(m): 1:02am On Mar 11, 2010
Use Tpia-pia. . . . .
Re: How Can I Get Rid Of Cockroaches? by mamagee3(f): 1:02am On Mar 11, 2010
Whatever happened to the use of insecticides.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Favour Appiah: 14-year-old Girl Drowns In Manuex Place Hotel Delta. Family Kicks / I Have Mouth Odour - Pls Help / 4 Family Members Die Of Food Poisoning In Kwara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.