Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,183 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

How Did You Make It In Life? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Did You Make It In Life? (29856 Views)

Biggest Amount Of Money You Have Ever Lost In Life And Lessons Learnt From It / What Is Your Worst Business Investment And How Much Did You Lose? / How Much Did You Save In 2017? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 28, 2017
slimiyke:

Revit MEP CAD.... after which I did a special training on Abb Doc, Dialux, Ecodial....But I must tell you that Abb Doc is superb and its very flexible when it comes to low voltage distribution simulations.
pls break this down to me.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 28, 2017
RealityShot:

your definition of "made" is the problem!
go out there and get a job: any job you can, even if it pays 10k. In a few months your eyes will open to new ideas to earn more!

lovelinkheart: go learn how commodities are traded in nigeria ..it will give u many ideas.. Choose one and learn it.. E.g. Cosmetics, biscuits...
is not always like dat.

E go beta E go beta na him mek igboman spend years4kano
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by slimiyke(m): 6:37pm On Jul 28, 2017
pesinfada:
pls break this down to me.
Revit Mep is just like the normal Autocad but with some special mechanical,electrical and plumbing features and it also enhances your design when doing design of MEP related jobs..it could be in 3d modelling or in isometrics.....While Abb doc is purely for electrical power calculation and preparations of single line diagram SLD, Dialux is used in calculating the illumination requirements of your design it could be a residential or industrial building while Ecodial also does same job as Abb Doc.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Gwan2(m): 6:44pm On Jul 28, 2017
Pidgin2:

See how you demeaned your own race, you have no shame. I think you should read about both Egyptian and Ethiopian history/civilization to enlighten yourself
Madam...Yea Madam, because at this point I should refer you as madam because clearly u ain't communicating like an enlightened lady.
Did you notice I emphasized technological, educational and health "ADVANCEMENT" in my previous post ..Civilization started there an so?...Who is talking about the cradle of civilization here?...Some people have taken over your supposedly archaic civilization and had advanced it to sophisticated fields like robotic science, cloning, space research etc....and you are sitting with you rubber band nokla phone typing Egypt and Ethiopia....Who dem epp?......You first me go school and read mean say wetin, I no civilize abi your civilization pass my own?....It just simply means you were exposed as regard formal education before me., nothing more.
I gat no more reply for you please.....cheerz
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by LaExpert: 6:47pm On Jul 28, 2017
concho:
The only thing university add to u outside scholastic knowledge is change of mindset and general view of ur society . And this will come as a result of mixing up with ppl from different background nd culture. Eg, my friend David Daniel thought me how to think like a rich man when he was my room mate in 100L . I dropt in my 200 level even as the best student in my department then. I was not seeing any future in the chosen choice of discipline. My verdict is this : Follow ur heart. The only limit to were you can reach in life is that limit set in ur own imagination and not UNIVERSITY OR DEGREE

I agree with your submission.

You will agree with me that you have learned many things other than academics while in school that has mad you probably more informed than you could have been.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2017
LaExpert:

You probably would have had it easier if you pursued a degree. You're getting it all wrong if you think all you'd have learned in school is academics.

My dear u dont need a degree to achieve success, most graduate are even finding it more difficult by the day. My brother who never went to school but have different skills is the most successful in my family.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by soku2(m): 6:54pm On Jul 28, 2017
slimiyke:

The poultry business really helped but the attention got so diverted when I got my job newly not just because I don't like the business but my kind of Job requires much attention....imagine if you're asked to follow up a massive project and do some tasking technical detailing as per variations on site I think you will rarely have time for any other thing. ( Though the CAD is just one of the tools I use in detailing my job)
pls enlight me on pourltry farming i will like to invest on farming.thank u sir. 08180771640. Am also dealing on stainless installation,iron bender, welding work generalY.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2017
Gwan2:

Madam...Yea Madam, because at this point I should refer you as madam because clearly u ain't communicating like an enlightened lady.
Did you notice I emphasized technological, educational and health "ADVANCEMENT" in my previous post ..Civilization started there an so?...Who is talking about the cradle of civilization here?...Some people have taken over your supposedly archaic civilization and had advanced it to sophisticated fields like robotic science, cloning, space research etc....and you are sitting with you rubber band nokla phone typing Egypt and Ethiopia....Who dem epp?......You first me go school and read mean say wetin, I no civilize abi your civilization pass my own?....It just simply means you were exposed as regard formal education before me., nothing more.
I gat no more reply for you please.....cheerz

I pity you
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by slimiyke(m): 7:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
soku2:
pls enlight me on pourltry farming i will like to invest on farming.thank u sir. 08180771640. Am also dealing on stainless installation,iron bender, welding work generalY.
Which area of farming do you want to go into?
Fish farming
Bee/honey farming
Poultry
Plantain sucker multiplication
Snail
Glasscutter
Piggery

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by soku2(m): 7:26pm On Jul 28, 2017
slimiyke:
Which area of farming do you want to go into? Fish farming Bee/honey farming Poultry Plantain sucker multiplication Snail Glasscutter Piggery

fish farming and also snail. Thanks
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 7:30pm On Jul 28, 2017
I was going to pass but I decided to share my experience.

After many failures in business ventures, I went back to the drawing board. I realized I did not have the capital or connections to become very rich in conventional business (oil and gas, contracting, consulting, trading etc).
I was bored with my job; the only place it was going to take me was up the ladder of the civil service. That seemed to me like life lived on a minor note; there has to be more to it than that.
Yahoo yahoo was not an option: a 'G-guy' is just a thief. Going abroad seemed like a risk: the richest Nigerians live in Nigeria

I decided to venture into Information Technology.

This is one of the few areas like music and film where young people can make it on talent alone. Moreover it combines intense intellectual work with street hustle and business acumen. Not for me the life of a rich illiterate (apologies to illiterates)

I learned how to program. (Ruby - yay!)
It took 2 long years. I read the books, blogs articles. I watch(ed) the videos. I am still learning. I started my own tech company. I reckoned that to build a 100 million naira company in a year, I had to create value worth 274,000 every day (actually N273,972 . 60). I started working. Adding features, removing bugs, improving the user experience. Every. Brutal.Day. I have no social life, my free time is non-existent.
I work 18 hours a day. I think of my software when I am asleep.
My company is taking shape. I have a product I plan to put on the market in a few months. Beta tests indicate that customers like it. I don't have physical cash but I have an asset. When it gets to a 100million valuation, I'll aim for a billion.

Information Technology is the new crude oil. It is not the only way, but it is a good way. Nigeria is a greenfield. If you are creative, dedicated and very hardworking you can become a millionaire in dollars. You don't need government or a godfather.

Still on the journey, watch this space.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by LaExpert: 7:38pm On Jul 28, 2017
iamloyalty:

My dear u dont need a degree to achieve success, most graduate are even finding it more difficult by the day. My brother who never went to school but have different skills is the most successful in my family.

Maybe you didn't get my point.

A 'degree' isn't the only thing you get in school.
How about the invaluable interpersonal, time management, communication, social skills etc that are associated with being in school?

By the way, nothing guarantees success but some things you do will make you more likely to achieve success. It is no coincidence that more than 80% of the world's 100richest men hold a degree or have pursued a degree at some point in their lives.

Check that your brother's business and compare it with the educated ones who are in the same line of business and come back to tell me who is doing better if it is your brother or if it his educated peers.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Yhemit(m): 7:56pm On Jul 28, 2017
Yhemit:

God go bless you sir.....

Do you think is possible for me to start anything within ( agribusiness) during my Nysc around November. I love to go into either fishery or rabbits during service..... I don't know if I can do such during service?

everybody is afraid of going back home waiting for #1k from parents.

@ slimiyke
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 28, 2017
LaExpert:

Maybe you didn't get my point.

A 'degree' isn't the only thing you get in school.
How about the invaluable interpersonal, time management, communication, social skills etc that are associated with being in school?

By the way, nothing guarantees success but some things you do will make you more likely to achieve success. It is no coincidence that more than 80% of the world's 100richest men hold a degree or have pursued a degree at some point in their lives.

Check that your brother's business and compare it with the educated ones who are in the same line of business and come back to tell me who is doing better if it is your brother or if it his educated peers.

U didn't get my point. One doesn't need a degree to be successful in life. Yes my bro business is doing far better than ours who are educated. Hard WORK, DETERMINATION, PRESERVERANCE, GOD are the key ingredients to success.
Gud nite &Sweet dreams.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Richyicon(m): 8:05pm On Jul 28, 2017
[quote author=pauljumbo post=58916082]

Info@pauljumbo.com[/thanksquote]
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by abdeiz(m): 8:05pm On Jul 28, 2017
benjibabs:

Bro, let me give you a brotherly advise. I sincerely hope you will not take this personal. lipsrsealed

I can feel your zeal to learn kindle publishing; however, if you are waiting for someone with first hand experience to teach you, you may have to wait a long time.

I do understand where you are coming from as a Nigerian my self; our environment is such that one cannot get information about anything anywhere except you talk to someone who has done what you are seeking before. Now, when you are seeking for info about a service in a developed nation, internet is your best friend. Loads of information is available on the internet and when you access the site of the company offering the service you will get all you need.

So, let me get you started with the research on kindle publishing. Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is simply amazon's self publishing platform.

Head over here to KDP website for a great intro video and more info:

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/

You will also benefit from smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/) as well. They will help you distribute your ebooks to major retailers and thousands of libraries.

When you are ready for on-demand publishing, I can provide you with info on how to get your book into Ingram/Lightning source.

I've self published a book for my wife using all the platforms above. If you have any question along the way, feel free to PM me.

Wish you the best!

Thank you very much

I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned getting first hand experience as I myself have encountered such stumbling block one too many times in my quest for reliable information to develop thyself.

You have pointed me towards a direction and will gladly oblige, I will also take you up on your offer in the future God willing
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by concho(m): 8:08pm On Jul 28, 2017
LaExpert:

I agree with your submission.

You will agree with me that you have learned many things other than academics while in school that has mad you probably more informed than you could have been.
i cnt protest dat sincerity
you are right.....
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by slimiyke(m): 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2017
Yhemit:

@ slimiyke
Fishery would've been more better and advisable depending on the resources available to you and also consider the fact that it has a good market during the festive season of ember months but don't fail to do your planning very well so that u can take advantage of the season, but most importantly consider cost of setting up ur pond, availability of water, security feeding and environment.....Fish farming is such a very lucrative farming business if properly taken care of.....just send me mail on Reginaldu8@gmail.com....let me look for materials to guide you properly

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by ToppSecret: 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by abdeiz(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:
I was going to pass but I decided to share my experience.

After many failures in business ventures, I went back to the drawing board. I realized I did not have the capital or connections to become very rich in conventional business (oil and gas, contracting, consulting, trading etc).
I was bored with my job; the only place it was going to take me was up the ladder of the civil service. That seemed to me like life lived on a minor note; there has to be more to it than that.
Yahoo yahoo was not an option: a 'G-guy' is just a thief. Going abroad seemed like a risk: the richest Nigerians live in Nigeria

I decided to venture into Information Technology.

This is one of the few areas like music and film where young people can make it on talent alone. Moreover it combines intense intellectual work with street hustle and business acumen. Not for me the life of a rich illiterate (apologies to illiterates)

I learned how to program. (Ruby - yay!)
It took 2 long years. I read the books, blogs articles. I watch(ed) the videos. I am still learning. I started my own tech company. I reckoned that to build a 100million naira company in a year, I had to create value worth 274,000 every day (actually N273,972 . 60). I started working. Adding features, removing bugs, improving the user experience. Every. Brutal.Day. My love life suffered, my free time is non-existent.
I work 18 hours a day. I think of my software when I am asleep.
My company is taking shape. I have a product I plan to put on the market in a few months. Beta tests indicate that customers like it. I don't have physical cash but I have an asset. When it gets to a 100million valuation, I'll aim for a billion.

Information Technology is the new crude oil. It is not the only way, but it is a good way. If you are creative, dedicated and very hardworking you can become a millionaire in dollars. You don't need government or a godfather.

Wish me luck.

Your story inspires me. Two bloody year and for every single day...pls tell me that is an exaggeration cos I'm getting scared. I'm currently in your shoes before you learnt how to program only I just finished from school. I really want to succeed in ICT and have to passion for it.

my question is apart from the reading, videos did you require any mentor to get where you are presently as it is much touted to me that one needs a mentor to succeed.
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by RealityShot: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
pesinfada:
is not always like dat.

E go beta E go beta na him mek igboman spend years4kano

if i had kept the "little" job i had in 2013, where i was able to save 8k monthly from my "small" pay, till now;
my account would have been probably better.

instead, i left it and ran to a 100k contract that terminated abrubtly before its stiulated end; which showed me that more money aint any good. My spending grew so much that i couldnt even save 8k monthly!

in fact, i was broke the very next month after the contract ended!

it took me a while to recover from the shock and realization that i was out of work and had been unable to save any money. 1year to be precise!

Thanks to God though, i have a new job now and savings is better than it ever was..

new investments are already taking form in my mind.
GLORY TO GOD!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2017
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by LaExpert: 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
iamloyalty:

U didn't get my point. One doesn't need a degree to be successful in life. Yes my bro business is doing far better than ours who are educated. Hard WORK, DETERMINATION, PRESERVERANCE, GOD are the key ingredients to success.
Gud nite &Sweet dreams.

If you point is that one does not need a degree to be successful, I get it and I totally agree with it.

You're the one who probably did not get my own point which is 'pursuing a degree' gives you a better shot at success than being uneducated because school isn't all about getting a 'degree.'

By the way, if that your brother and and the other educated ones are not in the same business line, you don't need to compare.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
abdeiz:

Your story inspires me. Two bloody year and for every single day...pls tell me that is an exaggeration cos I'm getting scared. I'm currently in your shoes before you learnt how to program only I just finished from school. I really want to succeed in ICT and have to passion for it.

my question is apart from the reading, videos did you require any mentor to get where you are presently as it is much touted to me that one needs a mentor to succeed.

No mentor. I didnt know anyone, and the quality of IT projects I saw made by Nigerians discouraged me. The standards are just too low and most use outdated technology. If I had a tutor(and PHCN was cooperative), I could have done it in half the time.
You need a mentor to do it faster, there is much to learn. IT is a game of life long learning. I may open a training school soon.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Richyicon(m): 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
pauljumbo:

Info@pauljumbo.com
just sent you a mail. Pls I don't know if u can dish me your cell phone number or facebook name so we can hookup. Thanks
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by RealityShot: 8:31pm On Jul 28, 2017
Yhemit:

God go bless you sir.....

Do you think is possible for me to start anything within ( agribusiness) during my Nysc around November. I love to go into either fishery or rabbits during service..... I don't know if I can do such during service?

everybody is afraid of going back home waiting for #1k from parents.
learn to trade Agric commodities instead: garri, beans, egusi, palm oil, etc

all of them earn a good 30-100% per bag sold..

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2017
RealityShot:
if i had kept the "little" job i had in 2013, where i was able to save 8k monthly from my "small" pay, till now;
my account would have been probably better.

instead, i left it and ran to a 100k contract that terminated abrubtly before its stiulated end; which showed me that more money aint any good. My spending grew so much that i couldnt even save 8k monthly!

in fact, i was broke the very next month after the contract ended!

it took me a while to recover from the shock and realization that i was out of work and had been unable to save any money. 1year to be precise!

Thanks to God though, i have a new job now and savings is better than it ever was..

new investments are already taking form in my mind.
GLORY TO GOD!
Now I know u actually said that out of xpirence.
I agree with u bro.
Datz y I applied 4Npower ooo

1 Like

Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by RealityShot: 9:43pm On Jul 28, 2017
I understand most of us in Nigeria lack PRACTICAL INFORMATION on normal businesses..

so here are some threads to OPEN your eyes:

https://www.nairaland.com/3384299/agric-grains-commodity-purchase-storage

https://www.nairaland.com/1798724/free-skill-acquisition-e-center

https://www.nairaland.com/3519378/palm-oil
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by PrinceMario(m): 9:45pm On Jul 28, 2017
Donwale made it as a scammer. Nah bullet go kill you last.
The innocent souls you scammed haven't given up. Always watch your back. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Did You Make It In Life? by Burgerlomo: 9:50pm On Jul 28, 2017
EniHolar:
Be positive
Have a goal
Work towards achieving it
Do away with distractions
Make wise use of any kobo you touch
Success is a thing of the mind

Though I'm still struggling, but I know someday, I'll get there... and I won't stop there. Success has no permanent destination. Someone just left where you got to.

Well said sis.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ghana Cedis Valuable Than Naira / Tony Elumelu Spent His Weekend With His Daughters (Photos) / Malta Guinness Stuns Lagos With Amazing New Concept (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.