Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,066 members, 7,814,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:18 PM

Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. (1817 Views)

Why Religion Will Be Useful When Teaching "Satire" As A Figure Of Speech / Can Any Religious Person Explain Why Religion And Poverty/illiteracy Go Together / Religion Is Very Important And I'm Not Atheist - Mark Zuckerberg, Fbk Founder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 10:35pm On May 16, 2017
It's Really surprising, especially to me that someday I would come to this conclusion, But here it is: Religion is still an absolute necessity For a lot of people, especially those from Third world countries like Nigeria! Yes, I am a deist, or theist at best, But contrary to my previous beliefs, i don't think our people, that is, ordinary Nigerians are Ready for the Raw undiluted truths about Reality and Life just yet. Religion was designed by a Group of Extremely smart men as a Tool for General mental slavery for the masses by playing on the mind of the individual, Providing them with easy answers to the most fundamental questions we ask as humans, Thereby keeping them all away from seeking further truths, and instead more concerned about other less complex things. The Truth is that this has really helped in keeping the masses in a tightly controlled state and also helped avoid the chaos that would occur if people discovered the real truths about Reality and Life itself. I do think the decline of Religion is inevitable and someday, our future generations to come will look back and laugh at how stupid we were for actually Believing some of the most unrealistic, extremely obvious fables man has ever known, and still claim to be advanced people. But That is still a long way to come and as for now, people especially in countries like Nigeria don't need to know the Raw truths just yet, Imagine a Murderer or a kidnapper, or a robber or rapist eventually turning to an atheist?? Doesn't sound too Nice right? What will be the inner force that will torment their conscience after committing such acts? Some people haven't developed stable minds up to this time, to be able to act Right and possess good moral standards without religion just yet. So most people still need Jesus, Buddha, Mohamed and the rest in their lives for now before they can talk about moving on to deeper truths. So contrary to my previous beliefs that we as a people need to be free from Religious slavery, I now realize that Religion is absolutely necessary to Help maintain Order in the Society. This is my own view on this issue, Thank you.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 10:52pm On May 16, 2017
Lalasticlala
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hopefulLandlord: 11:03pm On May 16, 2017
so when is that time for us to know the deeper truth?

do you think such changes occur when people sit and fiddle their fingers while expecting the change to come suddenly?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 16, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

do you think such changes occur when people sit and fiddle their fingers while expecting the change to come suddenly?

Sorry...mistake made. Please disregard.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by ifenes(m): 12:39am On May 17, 2017
Religion is necessary because the people are still giving it attention. Once they spot the lies and control agenda it will fall like a pack of cards.

5 Likes

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by Deicide: 12:45am On May 17, 2017
Atheist should use religion to their advantage walahi I tell you, you would enjoy this life. Be a Muslim if need be and be a Christian if need be. The point is using it to your advantage....... cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 7:08am On May 17, 2017
Deicide:
Atheist should use religion to their advantage walahi I tell you, you would enjoy this life. Be a Muslim if need be and be a Christian if need be. The point is using it to your advantage....... cheesy

Exactly!! You Hit the nail on the Head Man. Religion now can even give you an extra advantage over other people and also a means to manipulate them because you know the truth that they don't and so you are always ahead of them mentally. This is what most world leaders use to stay stay ahead of the masses and keep the population always behind them. Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 7:20am On May 17, 2017
ifenes:
Religion is necessary because the people are still giving it attention. Once they spot the lies and control agenda it will fall like a pack of cards.

That is true, But do not underestimate the binding powers of religion. Even when the truth is obvious, Blind faith can still make some people unwilling to accept the truth. So for now, reduce the way u argue about who is right or wrong btw you and them and also stop trying to prove your point to them Always, instead you can let some remain in their ignorance, advocate for them when they make their points and make them feel they are right and u believe they are, and use that to your advantage when u want. This is the one way path to Leadership I tell u man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 7:21am On May 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

How do u mean, please explain your points better.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 8:58am On May 17, 2017
Control System

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hopefulLandlord: 9:38am On May 17, 2017
MrMystrO:

How do u mean, please explain your points better.

the main point of your post is that Nigeria is not ready for freethinking, I'm asking when we'll be ready, does this "readiness" happen suddenly? wouldn't it be more like progressive? step by step?

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 11:57am On May 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

the main point of your post is that Nigeria is not ready for freethinking, I'm asking when we'll be ready, does this "readiness" happen suddenly? wouldn't it be more like progressive? step by step?

I strongly believe that in the future, the idea of Religion would Be the same as the Idea of a Flat Earth Today. That would happen, but just as it has always been, This happens through time and takes a lot of processes. Right now, the system is still quite dependent on Religion to keep things in order and ultimately avoid chaos. But with the increasing technological advancements, free access to information and increased public awareness, our future generations would have been able to develop a new system or upgrade the current system to one that would not have any kind of dependence on Religious structures, would be fully independent of it And can function very well without it. This is the kind of system that would be able to handle the disclosure of the existence of extraterrestrial life forms to the general public and nothing would happen, whereas if that were to happen in this current system, could jeopardise the religious institution and pose a huge threat to the system itself. So we will get there, gradually but for now, The ignorance of majority of the masses to these things is still very necessary.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hopefulLandlord: 11:59am On May 17, 2017
MrMystrO:

I strongly believe that in the future, the idea of Religion would Be the same as the Idea of a Flat Earth Today. That would happen, but just as it has always been, This happens through time and takes a lot of processes. Right now, the system is still quite dependent on Religion to keep things in order and ultimately avoid chaos. But with the increasing technological advancements, free access to information and increased public awareness, our future generations would have been able to develop a new system or upgrade the current system to one that would not have any kind of dependence on Religious structures, would be fully independent of it And can function very well without it. This is the kind of system that would be able to handle the disclosure of the existence of extraterrestrial life forms to the general public and nothing would happen, whereas if that were to happen in this current system, could jeopardise the religious institution and pose a huge threat to the system itself. So we will get there, gradually but for now, The ignorance of majority of the masses to these things is still very necessary.

hmmmm

fair enough
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hahn(m): 12:07pm On May 17, 2017
Space booked grin

Modified

Yes religion will continue to be necessity because of

1) Lack of proper health care: We live in a country where proper healthcare is a myth. We have one of the highest, if not the highest, birth mortality rates in the world. Our leaders have to travel outside of the country to treat their ear infections and even pastors who go around preaching miracle healing travel abroad for check up

The masses have no other option than to look unto god for good health because the hospitals that are supposed to provide quality healthcare are either under staffed, under funded or have to resort to the use of torch lights to perform life threatening surgeries

Even our own resident doctor here has claimed the brain sleeps. That alone says a lot

2) Ignorance: Our education system is crap. I saw a video recently where one dude was interviewing people on the streets and Nigerians were claiming that Nigerian is a country in North Africa undecided

We do not read. We do not learn. We do not carry out research(as a people)

We are ignorant of our history, the history of the religion we follow and the history of the things we make use of.

Most theists do not read outside their bible or at best their school curriculum. They are trained in churches to "believe" blindly and disregard evidence. "Blessed is he who has not seen but believes" is the national anthem of the ignorant and gullible undecided

3) Wishful thinking People cannot live with the truth or with the bitterness of reality

It is easier to live with the fact that your relative, no matter how much of an assshole he/she was, is living for eternity in heaven than to accept that the person is simply dead

It is easier to expect to pass an exam by just praying even though you did not study and are not prepared for it

It is easier to expect "unmerited favor" and get a job you are not even qualified for than actually working to be qualified for it

4) Self denial You really expect people to accept that they have been scammed all their life and have wasted precious and valuable time with worthless and meaningless pursuits such as working for your church for free as a choir, usher or any other employment role(some people have a hard time understanding that a church is a business venture)? Lol. No way. It is better to continue being deceived and continue paying 10% of your salary for no reason

At least god will understand tongue

5) Our role models Most people are introduced into religion via their parents. Are they supposed to now conclude that their parents are not really smart and that their parents are mugus to their pastors, imams and spiritual leaders?

Many celebrities, world leaders, successful businessmen etc are theists and they are role models to millions of people including myself. How many times have we heard a successful person say "without god I wouldn't be here" or "I owe everything to god"? It sounds awkward to accept the conclusion that they are also displaying a certain level of ignorance by being religious and believing in obvious lies.

etc

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hahn(m): 12:11pm On May 17, 2017
MrMystrO:

That is true, But do not underestimate the binding powers of religion. Even when the truth is obvious, Blind faith can still make some people unwilling to accept the truth. So for now, reduce the way u argue about who is right or wrong btw you and them and also stop trying to prove your point to them Always, instead you can let some remain in their ignorance, advocate for them when they make their points and make them feel they are right and u believe they are, and use that to your advantage when u want. This is the one way path to Leadership I tell u man.

Seems you have been reading the 48 laws of power recently

Law 38: Think as you like, but behave like others wink

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 12:13pm On May 17, 2017
hahn:
Space booked grin

Lol welcome Mr space booker
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 12:17pm On May 17, 2017
hahn:

Seems you have been reading the 48 laws of power recently

Law 38: Think as you like, but behave like others wink

Well the Truth is I haven't read that book, But these Truths Come to me Naturally, From everyday experiences and also From the inside Through meditation. But that sure sounds like a good read, I'd love to check it out.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 12:19pm On May 17, 2017
Billyonaire Wilgrea7 What is your take on This?
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hahn(m): 12:37pm On May 17, 2017
MrMystrO:

Lol welcome Mr space booker

I have edited the comment
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by hahn(m): 12:37pm On May 17, 2017
MrMystrO:

Well the Truth is I haven't read that book, But these Truths Come to me Naturally, From everyday experiences and also From the inside Through meditation. But that sure sounds like a good read, I'd love to check it out.

You should. It is very interesting and realistic
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 12:56pm On May 17, 2017
hahn:
Space booked grin

Modified

Yes religion will continue to be necessity because of

1) Lack of proper health care: We live in a country where proper healthcare is a myth. We have one of the highest, if not the highest, mortality rates in the world. Our leaders have to travel outside of the country to treat their ear infections and even pastors who go around preaching miracle healing travel abroad for check up

The masses have no other option than to look unto god for good health because the hospitals that are supposed to provide quality healthcare are either under staffed, under funded or have to resort to the use of torch lights to perform life threatening surgeries

Even our own resident doctor here has claimed the brain sleeps. That alone says a lot

2) Ignorance: Our education system is crap. I saw a video recently where one dude was interviewing people on the streets and Nigerians were claiming that Nigerian is a country in North Africa undecided

We do not read. We do not learn. We do not carry out research(as a people)

We are ignorant of our history, the history of the religion we follow and the history of the things we make use of.

Most theists do not read outside their bible or at best their school curriculum. They are trained in churches to "believe" blindly and disregard evidence. "Blessed is he who has not seen but believes" is the national anthem of the ignorant and gullible undecided

3) Wishful thinking People cannot live with the truth or with the bitterness of reality

It is easier to live with the fact that your relative, no matter how much of an assshole he/she was, is living for eternity in heaven than to accept that the person is simply dead

It is easier to expect to pass an exam by just praying even though you did not study and are not prepared for it

It is easier to expect "unmerited favor" and get a job you are not even qualified for than actually working to be qualified for it

4) Self denial You really expect people to accept that they have been scammed all their life and have wasted precious and valuable time with worthless and meaningless pursuits such as working for your church for free as a choir, usher or any other employment role(some people have a hard time understanding that a church is a business venture)? Lol. No way. It is better to continue being deceived and continue paying 10% of your salary for no reason

At least god will understand tongue

5) Our role models Most people are introduced into religion via their parents. Are they supposed to now conclude that their parents are not really smart and that their parents are mugus to their pastors, imams and spiritual leaders?

Many celebrities, world leaders, successful businessmen etc are theists and they are role models to millions of people including myself. How many times have we heard a successful person say "without god I wouldn't be here" or "I owe everything to god"? It sounds awkward to accept the conclusion that they are also displaying a certain level of ignorance by being religious and believing in obvious lies.

etc

Nice one bro, In Essence our underdeveloped Nation and the Unfortunate environment we've found ourselves in has made Religion even more important to us than The developed Nations Because here Religion is still one of the Most powerful force that is Helping people accept most of the horrible situations that they find themselves in And if this last Straw is taken away, then it's total chaos! Thanks for the comment bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 1:12pm On May 17, 2017
Sarassin what is your Take on this Also?
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by seankay(m): 6:00pm On May 17, 2017
Deicide:

Top Politicians use this wella. Most of them know the truth grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 7:22pm On May 17, 2017
seankay:

Top Politicians use this wella. Most of them know the truth grin cheesy grin

True man, Very true. Though they will never show it, But deep down inside, a lot of them actually know it's all for the show and also to maintain a healthy support Base from that Religion. You will find out that their true beliefs are so far from any religious one because they've had access to so many secret information that Normal people don't. Thanks for the Comment bro
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by CyrusTheGreat: 7:48pm On May 17, 2017
Completely and utterly disagree. Religion is never a necessity and is indeed detrimental to Nigerian society in every aspect. The academic Christianity that began the renaissance in Europe, and the academic Islam that contributed to mathematics, physics and medicine, are extremely different to the stupid, fanatical religious worship that the vast majority of Naijans practice daily. From god-fearing to superstitition, from chopping people up for body parts as "cures" to blowing themselves up, the Nigerian mind is plagued by mad faith from

The world is opening up, and intercultural communication is rapidly gaining with the rise of the internet, and Nigeria is the most web connected country in ALL OF AFRICA, with over 90 MILLION NAIJANS (Half the population!) using the internet regularly! http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm

With this in mind, the country absolutely and utterly CANNOT turn it's back on international trends nor the international community. Claiming that Nigerians aren't "ready yet" sounds like some racist as$ sh!t. Nigerians are human beings, and like all human beings they can adapt to change in religion and fanaticism. What about the people in Vietnam who weren't "ready yet" post a violent and gruesome civil war just 40 years ago? Vietnam has gone from a French Colony where corruption, religious idolatry, lack of education and illiteracy were rampant one of the most developed countries in Southeast Asia, with a strong academic core, heavily developed infrastructure and one of the world's least religious populations on earth. In the past 5 years, Vietnam's percentage of religious people dropped by over 20%, the highest drop of ANY country on earth.

This sort of holistic argument the OP puts forward is not new - it has already been made by philosophers and governers of centuries past, and it has NEVER worked. Only through an active social movement, the spread of education and determination can one change the faith dynamics of a country. Simply sitting around and claiming that society isn't "ready yet" for what is essentially basic critical thinking is not only crass nihilism that will get people nowhere, it's also really, really offensive to practically all Nigerians!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by CyrusTheGreat: 7:48pm On May 17, 2017
Completely and utterly disagree. Religion is never a necessity and is indeed detrimental to Nigerian society in every aspect. The academic Christianity that began the renaissance in Europe, and the academic Islam that contributed to mathematics, physics and medicine, are extremely different to the stupid, fanatical religious worship that the vast majority of Naijans practice daily. From god-fearing to superstitition, from chopping people up for body parts as "cures" to blowing themselves up, the Nigerian mind is plagued by mad faith.

The world is opening up, and intercultural communication is rapidly gaining with the rise of the internet, and Nigeria is the most web connected country in ALL OF AFRICA, with over 90 MILLION NAIJANS (Half the population!) using the internet regularly! http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm

With this in mind, the country absolutely and utterly CANNOT turn it's back on international trends nor the international community. Claiming that Nigerians aren't "ready yet" sounds like some racist as$ sh!t. Nigerians are human beings, and like all human beings they can adapt to change in religion and fanaticism. What about the people in Vietnam who weren't "ready yet" post a violent and gruesome civil war just 40 years ago? Vietnam has gone from a French Colony where corruption, religious idolatry, lack of education and illiteracy were rampant one of the most developed countries in Southeast Asia, with a strong academic core, heavily developed infrastructure and one of the world's least religious populations on earth. In the past 5 years, Vietnam's percentage of religious people dropped by over 20%, the highest drop of ANY country on earth.

This sort of holistic argument the OP puts forward is not new - it has already been made by philosophers and governers of centuries past, and it has NEVER worked. Only through an active social movement, the spread of education and determination can one change the faith dynamics of a country. Simply sitting around and claiming that society isn't "ready yet" for what is essentially basic critical thinking is not only crass nihilism that will get people nowhere, it's also really, really offensive to practically all Nigerians!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 8:39pm On May 17, 2017
CyrusTheGreat:
Completely and utterly disagree. Religion is never a necessity and is indeed detrimental to Nigerian society in every aspect. The academic Christianity that began the renaissance in Europe, and the academic Islam that contributed to mathematics, physics and medicine, are extremely different to the stupid, fanatical religious worship that the vast majority of Naijans practice daily. From god-fearing to superstitition, from chopping people up for body parts as "cures" to blowing themselves up, the Nigerian mind is plagued by mad faith.

Lol well I see your point Anyway, You are Right in your own way and I have no Reason To Dispute that, But like I said, Someday, Religion will loose it's Relevance And give Way for Logical Reasoning Only. This will Definitely happen, But I still stand by my belief that This does not Need to happen immediately As Chaos will Be the eventual result of that, Reasons of which I have already stated above, But rather it would happen slowly over time Just like the Evolution of the Mind of Man has always Been, Thank you for your Comment bro.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by Born2Freak(f): 9:03pm On May 17, 2017
WRONG.

The last thing Africa needs is religion. No European Christ and No Arab prophet.

1 Like

Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by tobechi74: 9:32pm On May 17, 2017
ifenes:

religions is still relevant as an organised social institution
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 10:08pm On May 17, 2017
tobechi74:

religions is still relevant as an organised social institution

True, But also, more Relevant as a Means of Public control and Order. Thank you for your comment
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by MrMystrO(m): 10:13pm On May 17, 2017
Born2Freak:
WRONG.

The last thing Africa needs is religion. No European Christ and No Arab prophet.

I Guess you don't see it from my perspective But it's Fine, We all Have the Right to Our own Views. Either ways Thank you for your Comment.
Re: Why Religion Is Still A Necessity In Nigeria. by Born2Freak(f): 4:14am On May 18, 2017
MrMystrO:

I Guess you don't see it from my perspective But it's Fine, We all Have the Right to Our own Views. Either ways Thank you for your Comment.

I understand your perspective. I just find it ridiculous and ruthless.

Profiting on the ignorance of your brethren.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Experience 2018 "Jesus Our Peace" / Kanye West's Repentance Is Fake. Check This Out / 2023 Top 10 Richest Pastors In Edo State And Their Net Worth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.