Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' (9587 Views)

Poll: How do you view Songs of Solomon? As love between:

a man and woman: 74% (40 votes)
God and mankind: 25% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Happy Sunday: Is Having Sex As Couple Before Going To Church Godly Or Ungodly? / Why Is Songs Of Solomon Always Exempted From Church Teachings ? / Why Do Preachers Avoid Songs Of Solomon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:29am On Jan 13, 2010
TV01:

Hi JeSoul & discussants,

This poster sits on neither side. Application wise, instuction wise and in other ways, I concur with both. But revelationally, I see Christ and His bride. And more sinisterly, those that could easily be mistaken for her, outnumber her and war against her.
  Hi TV and thanks, its good to have your delightful presence in here brotha. The above is very good.

I hold there are certain portions of SOS that can indeed be used to describe Christ and the church. We must not limit ourselves to looking at issues from only one angle but as the spirit reveals and draws parallels may we follow. However as a whole, I daresay you would agree for the most part it speaks of love between a man and woman?

How's Beantown? I have fond memories.
Ah! I knew not you were a beantown alumni lol. All is well here, gearing up for a historic election next week to select Kennedy's replacement in the senate. Needless to say, the robots are up and about lol. Whereabouts did you stay?
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 5:36am On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

No2, you are hereby ordered to read your emails.

hi hi captain . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by DeepSight(m): 7:52am On Jan 13, 2010
There never was, nor will there ever be, anything wrong with eroticism.

Mankind in their petty guilt, demonize all things reeking of the forbidden pot. . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by AbuZola3(m): 8:29am On Jan 13, 2010
@seanT, You feel me right ? Am i not saying the truth
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Tudor6(f): 9:45am On Jan 13, 2010
No shiit. . .god loves to fu ck too. . .

Apparently angels are sexually attracted to women and fashioned themselves human bodies to satisfy their lust and god cast them out for their 'sin'. . .christianity is as stupiid as stupiid.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Tudor6(f): 9:46am On Jan 13, 2010
No shiit. . .god loves to fu ck too. . .

Apparently angels are sexually attracted to women and fashioned themselves human bodies to satisfy their lust and god cast them out for their 'sin'. . .christianity is as stupiid as stupiid.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 13, 2010
FOOD FOR THOUGHT ->

Religion is NOT repressed sexuality. Sexuality is POTENTIAL religion. . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Mavenb0x(m): 10:25am On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul, in case you are alarmed at some responses, don't be. Get set for more: SOS is delicate & controversial enough and your thread title is to be "blamed" & will wreak more. . . cheesy

Okay, my opinion. SOS is pure romantic poetry, and as was common before the repressive Victorian age, is highly eroti.c (or at least it was, in its hey day) in nature. God designed us that way, and it pleased him to wire us up to also be able to control ourselves when necessary. Se.x is a great thing! But as with all other things in nature, like gravity, it must be kept in check, properly moderated, or you fly into the sun. I never force the topic down people's throats but I believe God never intended us to indulge in carefree, temporary-commitment &irresponsible se.x like some animals. He wanted us to enjoy it in a sweet & controlled, defined atmosphere of a marital union.

If any, there are few lines pointing to a spiritual relationship with God. That was not the author's intent, IMO, so if any its a coincidence.

I think the book is there to show the virtues of chastit.y in the Shunammite woman, who was espoused to King Solomon. The romanti.c praise of the Wise King for the distinguished wise virgin is the theme in SOS and there are volumes to learn there if you dont have a "heart attack" at every eroti.c word!
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by DeepSight(m): 10:44am On Jan 13, 2010
imhotep:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ->

Your posts really intrigue me. Are you sure you are not like some great oriental sage reincarnated on Nairaland?

Sexuality is potential religion?

What do you think of some of the philosophical exchanges here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=324109.msg4549308#msg4549308
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Tonyet1(m): 11:40am On Jan 13, 2010
We read the book of Esther, a book in which the name "God" was never mentioned yet it illustrates the ominpotent attributes of God in influencing people's mind to favour another.Scholars say the book was written for the purpose of festivity thus calendric yet we read and draw inspirations daily.

I think the same applies to the book SOS, Yeah the book was not authored with the intentions of showing one's affections with God but with a woman, but then God speaks thru' just about anything.

According to Jewish tradition, the book is an allegory of God's love for the Children of Israel. In keeping with this understanding, it is read by Sephardic and Mizrahi Jews on Sabbath eve, to symbolize the love between the Jewish People and God that is also represented by Sabbath till date.

Most traditional Jews also read the Song on the Sabbath of Passover, or on the seventh day of the holiday, when the Song of the sea is also read.

Jesoul, did u say unholy, hmmm beginning to make me feel like love & se.x are unholy things. undecided
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Tudor6(f): 1:11pm On Jan 13, 2010
imhotep:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT ->

Dude this is PERVERSION
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by MyJoe: 1:21pm On Jan 13, 2010
A beautiful girl is betrothed to a shepherd boy. A shepherd boy. A powerful king catches sight of her and make love overtures to her. She replies that she is already in love with a shepherd boy. Not used to being turned down, the randy king would have none of it. But he does not deploy policemen. He deploys poetry! This is the setting behind the Superlative Song, which is Solomon’s.

In the Song, we read the erotic exchanges between King Solomon and a young virgin, the Shulamite girl, and between the Shulamite and her inamorato, a shepherd boy. We also read the encouragement given to the girl by her brothers, who ask to know if they can bank on her chastity. She replies that she is chaste, and her brothers offer her a reward:

“If she be a wall, we will build upon her a palace of silver: and if she be a door, we will inclose her with boards of cedar.” 8:9

Early in the Song, we learn that relationship moves from courtship to consummation:

“As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.” 2:3

The Shulamite girl’s commitment to her shepherd boy is exemplary. She is not ashamed of the shepherd and lets the whole world in on it. When he delays in returning from his field she goes all out to find him, asking the women of Jerusalem to join her search. She sees wealth and glamour all around Solomon. But in her eyes, not even the most beautiful of flowers under the morning dew can compare in beauty to her beau. Hear her description of him:

“My beloved is white and ruddy, the chiefest among ten thousand.
His head is as the most fine gold, his locks are bushy, and black as a raven.
His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set.
His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.
His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires.
His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.”
[/i]5:10-16

And does he return her affections. He does, and he is not to be outdone in poetry:

[i]“Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah, comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners.”
Turn away thine eyes from me, for they have overcome me: thy hair is as a flock of goats that appear from Gilead.
Thy teeth are as a flock of sheep which go up from the washing, whereof every one beareth twins, and there is not one barren among them.
As a piece of a pomegranate are thy temples within thy locks.
There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her.
Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?
I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits of the valley, and to see whether the vine flourished and the pomegranates budded.
Or ever I was aware, my soul made me like the chariots of Amminadib.”

6:4-12

Here is the verse I first came across in the Song as a teenager and have thought about ever since:

“Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.” 8:6

This Song is full symbolisms: humility, friendship, loyalty, contentment, love over material things, and many others. It has been described by Christians as the relationship between Christ and his church or between God and man; by Jews, as the relationship between God and Israel. A lot of inferences can be drawn from the Song of Songs which is Solomon’s, but there is not a doubt that it was written by men who practised poetry in love and love in poetry long before Valentine’s day was invented.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:38pm On Jan 13, 2010
Mavenb0x:

JeSoul, in case you are alarmed at some responses, don't be. Get set for more: SOS is delicate & controversial enough and your thread title is to be "blamed" & will wreak more. . . cheesy
I know oh my sister, I unwittingly injected levity into the thread with that title. I have learned my lesson lol.

Okay, my opinion. SOS is pure romantic poetry, and as was common before the repressive Victorian age, is highly eroti.c (or at least it was, in its hey day) in nature. God designed us that way, and it pleased him to wire us up to also be able to control ourselves when necessary. Se.x is a great thing! But as with all other things in nature, like gravity, it must be kept in check, properly moderated, or you fly into the sun. I never force the topic down people's throats but I believe God never intended us to indulge in carefree, temporary-commitment &irresponsible se.x like some animals. He wanted us to enjoy it in a sweet & controlled, defined atmosphere of a marital union.
hehe I expected nuthin less from the prolific Maven  grin. Highly e-rotic is exactly the right word description to use, which is why I don't think it appropriate for younger audiences. You're right on God designed us that way . . . why would He include such a book along with the rest? Maybe its cos he doesn't want us to shy away from it but face it head on and put it in its proper place as you correctly noted.

If any, there are few lines pointing to a spiritual relationship with God. That was not the author's intent, IMO, so if any its a coincidence.
I see what you mean . . . but so much of scripture have parallels and can be applied in multiple views. So I dunno if calling it mere coincidence is accurate, perhaps it was a divine set-up?  cheesy

I think the book is there to show the virtues of chastit.y in the Shunammite woman, who was espoused to King Solomon. The romanti.c praise of the Wise King for the distinguished wise virgin is the theme in SOS and there are volumes to learn there if you dont have a "heart attack" at every eroti.c word!
Lol . . . and therein lies the problem, many christians do not touch that book (and understandably so I guess), it scares them away.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:49pm On Jan 13, 2010
TV01:
The scriptures He says "speak of Me". He is always there! And to my mind and experince should always be pre-eminent in any revelation. Like I said there will always be other applications and the wooing, courtship and union thing is one I fully intend to apply!
Lol grin correct boy.

I feel the insight afforded by the brides and the "wannabe brides" in SOS are instructive for our times and are prophecy unfloding. But I won't derail if the convo doesn't go there.
Please, do go there. I would like as much practical, theoretical and spiritual knowledge and wisdom be gleaned from SOS on this thread. I'd like christians to look beyond the surface and find out how much they can really learn.

Yes 0! Beantown early 80's a young intern over from London. Loved it! The whole collegiate feel, the heightened corporate fellowship experience in the US - especially in lieu of any proximate family of my own. Took me a few months to really settle in, but I was back the following year and visited frequently afterwards.

A real personal growth time for me and all round ball. Filenes basement, the "T", the Sox at Fenway - the wave lol! - the Celtrics at the garden, Fanueil hall, lovely balmy summers.

I lived in a place called "Mission Hill" if I recall rightly just near Roxbury Crossing on the green line. Work folk thought it was edgy to say the least, but I was fine. Saw the occassional body map tho' and lived through some big incidents and historic times.

Best
TV
Oh wow. You're a proper Boston cat for real lol. I'm pretty much a westside dweller. When I worked in Watertown for 2 yrs I considered moving permanently to the city but it was going to cost an arm and a foot to live in a decent area. I'm back to Worcester now and frequent downtown mostly for concerts and above all to see the Celtics play at tha garden! lol. Beantown is just as vibrant, some major upgrades were done about the Seaport hotel (I forget the name of the street now) and it is so downright gorgeous it should be a crime. I have some pictures if you'd like to see . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:51pm On Jan 13, 2010
Tonye-t:

We read the book of Esther, a book in which the name "God" was never mentioned yet it illustrates the ominpotent attributes of God in influencing people's mind to favour another.Scholars say the book was written for the purpose of festivity thus calendric yet we read and draw inspirations daily.

I think the same applies to the book SOS, Yeah the book was not authored with the intentions of showing one's affections with God but with a woman, but then God speaks thru' just about anything.
True true.

Jesoul, did u say unholy, hmmm beginning to make me feel like love & se.x are unholy things. undecided
Tonye dearest, I did not mean that literally, but was trying to highlight the fact many people shy away from it because of its contents. Get it? smiley
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 4:58pm On Jan 13, 2010
MyJoe:

A beautiful girl is betrothed to a shepherd boy. A shepherd boy. A powerful king catches sight of her and make love overtures to her. She replies that she is already in love with a shepherd boy. Not used to being turned down, the randy king would have none of it. But he does not deploy policemen. He deploys poetry! This is the setting behind the Superlative Song, which is Solomon’s.
Lol, I like that! Poetry was indeed his weapon of choice.

In the Song, we read the love-related exchanges between King Solomon and a young virgin, the Shulamite girl, and between the Shulamite and her inamorato, a shepherd boy. We also read the encouragement given to the girl by her brothers, who ask to know if they can bank on her chastity. She replies that she is chaste, and her brothers offer her a reward:

“If she be a wall, we will build upon her a palace of silver: and if she be a door, we will inclose her with boards of cedar.” 8:9
Infact the very first sermon I ever heard from SOS was on this very verse. I thought it was simply captivating.

Early in the Song, we learn that relationship moves from courtship to consummation:

“As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.” 2:3

The Shulamite girl’s commitment to her shepherd boy is exemplary. She is not ashamed of the shepherd and lets the whole world in on it. When he delays in returning from his field she goes all out to find him, asking the women of Jerusalem to join her search. She sees wealth and glamour all around Solomon. But in her eyes, not even the most beautiful of flowers under the morning dew can compare in beauty to her beau. Hear her description of him:

His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set.
His cheeks are as a bed of spices, as sweet flowers: his lips like lilies, dropping sweet smelling myrrh.
His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires.
His legs are as pillars of marble, set upon sockets of fine gold: his countenance is as Lebanon, excellent as the cedars.
His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.”

And does he return her affections. He does, and he is not to be outdone in poetry:

[i]“Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah, comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners.”
Turn away thine eyes from me, for they have overcome me: thy hair is as a flock of goats that appear from Gilead.
Thy teeth are as a flock of sheep which go up from the washing, whereof every one beareth twins, and there is not one barren among them.
There are threescore queens, and fourscore concubines, and virgins without number.
My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and the concubines, and they praised her.
Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners?
I went down into the garden of nuts to see the fruits of the valley, and to see whether the vine flourished and the pomegranates budded.

This has got the be one of the simplest and best descriptions of what is happening in SOS I have seen. Great job Joe!

Here is the verse I first came across in the Song as a teenager and have thought about ever since:

“Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.” 8:6

This Song is full symbolisms: humility, friendship, loyalty, contentment, love over material things, and many others. It has been described by Christians as the relationship between Christ and his church or between God and man; by Jews, as the relationship between God and Israel. A lot of inferences can be drawn from the Song of Songs which is Solomon’s, but there is not a doubt that it was written by men who practised poetry in love and love in poetry long before Valentine’s day was invented.
Incredibly worthy of being highlighted. There is so much in SOS, and I am glad several people on this thread are pointing to lessons and pulling them out very well. Thanks for this!
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by MyJoe: 5:09pm On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

I know oh my sister, I unwittingly injected levity into the thread with that title. I have learned my lesson lol.

Want to know what I think of the title? That you are an advertising genius! Actually there is nothing wrong with it. Coming from a Christian, it ought to be obvious that the words are used metaphorically, but I know some people will not see that. Happens all the time.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by netotse(m): 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2010
MyJoe:

In the Song, we read the love-related exchanges between King Solomon and a young virgin, the Shulamite girl, and between the Shulamite and her inamorato, a shepherd boy. We also read the encouragement given to the girl by her brothers, who ask to know if they can bank on her chastity. She replies that she is chaste, and her brothers offer her a reward:

@my joe
thanks a mil for the above. i've never actually given thought to the storyline behind the book

@thread
i kinda see it as a love story but still agree that it can be used to describe Christ's love for the church, like some of the other posters, chances are you wont catch me reading it just for reading sake, the only times i've read it was when i was reading the bible cover to cover(i usu get stuck somehere in isaiah though embarassed)

i'm going to read SOS tonight again

@JeSoul
thanks
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by JeSoul(f): 5:59pm On Jan 13, 2010
MyJoe:

Want to know what I think of the title? That you are an advertising genius! Actually there is nothing wrong with it. Coming from a Christian, it ought to be obvious that the words are used metaphorically, but I know some people will not see that. Happens all the time.
. . . yeah that's what I was going for lol but it appears more people than I anticipated did not get it. Thanks!

netotse:

@my joe
thanks a mil for the above. i've never actually given thought to the storyline behind the book

i'm going to read SOS tonight again

@JeSoul
thanks
If this is the last and only reply on this thread, it has already been more than worth it for the sake of Netotse here smiley. Joe thanks again for throwing light on subject, people (myself included) are seeing! lol
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by slap1(m): 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2010
which particular track or album are u guys talking about?
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 9:45pm On Jan 13, 2010
Mavenb0x:

- I don't think i would go as far as saying its highly love-related . . . cus the word "e.rotic" is a seriously strong word . . . that unfortunately meanings a lot of negative things to most people.

- I would rather use the phrase "highly playful" . . . the bible reports that Abraham and Sarah were playing with each other . . . (i want to believe the the kind of play is somewhat similar to what we have in Songs of Solomon).

- It think when the Bible wants to say something explicitly sexual and hence inappropriate for normal hearing, I think the bible uses the word "know" . . .David knew "so so and so ".  . ."Abraham knew his wife Sarah" and so on and so forth . . .

- Some of us are recuperating from having a dirty mind hence its helps not to use the lingo such as e.rotic and so on . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by SamMilla1(m): 9:54pm On Jan 13, 2010
Maybe we should learn to live our lives according to what we know and not what we read or were told.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 10:00pm On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

Is thou trying to confess . . .  grin

JeSoul:

hehe I expected nuthin less from the prolific Maven  grin. Highly e-rotic is exactly the right word description to use, which is why I don't think it appropriate for younger audiences. You're right on God designed us that way . . . why would He include such a book along with the rest?

Sisters sisters . . . some of us are still growing . . . abeg . . . stop soiling our already dirty mind  grin grin grin . . . jeez wat am i even doing on this thread sef . . .  undecided

Maybe its cos he doesn't want us to shy away from it but face it head on and put it in its proper place as you correctly noted.
Men . . . some of us are not so sure we want to face it head on  . . .  cry cry cry . . . too much scars to take care of . . .

JeSoul:

I see what you mean . . . but so much of scripture have parallels and can be applied in multiple views. So I dunno if calling it mere coincidence is accurate, perhaps it was a divine set-up?  cheesy
Lol . . . and therein lies the problem, many christians do not touch that book (and understandably so I guess), it scares them away.

- hmm I am one of those christians . . . hmmm  undecided am i even qualified to call myself a christians sef . . . undecided

- I have reasons to be scared cus my imagination is horrible . . . hence it only takes a mustard seed of such readings to create a fireball of unwanted thinking . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at things from this angle . . .

In the Garden of Eden before the fall . . . Adam and Eve were naked but not ashamed (meaning that there was most probably an effective way to control unwanted imaginations and unwanted highly playful thoughts).

This means that if there was no sin  . . . we would have all still been naked as we speak . . .

Which means that this issue of being uncomfortable with Songs of Solomon would not occur . . .

Which means the problem of being uncomfortable with Songs of Solomon comes from the fact that most of our minds  . . . (mine included) . . .have become corrupted with filthy imaginations . . . hence one of the ways of preventing those imaginations from either growing or coming to pass is by making sure we restrict ourselves to things that blunt out those imaginations . . .

Hence i guess most christians avoid the book cus most christians know they are still susceptible to such imaginations . . . for example I am currently second guessing myself and question my own motives whether I should even make posts to this topic or whether I should not make posts to this topic or whether I should post the kind of words and statements i am posting and have posted earlier . . . cus for some reason: I simply do not trust myself in discussions like this.

How am I sure that its not the dirty motive of my heart speaking through my posts . . . if i can't trust myself concerning certain things why should trust myself concerning posting in this topic.

So you know see that . . . I think its more of a fail-safe mechanism that christians adopt when it comes to highly playful situations between a man and a woman as presented by  
Songs of Solomon.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 10:04pm On Jan 13, 2010
JeSoul:

. . . yeah that's what I was going for lol but it appears more people than I anticipated did not get it. Thanks!
If this is the last and only reply on this thread, it has already been more than worth it for the sake of Netotse here smiley. Joe thanks again for throwing light on subject, people (myself included) are seeing! lol

I am going to have to investigate this metaphorical angle that people are claiming . . . or is this just another false mechanism that we are using to protect ourselves from admitting that we are also seeing it as highly playful romantic episode between a man and woman . . .
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 10:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
One thing i can conclude . . . that:

- Married and Matured Pastors need to tackle that topic and book called the Songs of Solomon . . . and hence preach it on the pulpit . . .

- Cus if Married and Matured Pastors are unable to preach it then you can understand why spiritual wimps like me might get sceptical about tackling the topic itself . . . without always looking over the shoulder of our own conscience.

- Cus at the end of the day . . . all books of the bible have a purpose to them . . . hence how are we going to know the purpose and usefulness of the Songs of Solomon when everyone is too scared to even tackle it in public.

- On the surface, does the Song of Solomon look like a highly playful scenario between a man and a woman . . . YES

- Is it also possible that there are deeper non-sexual spiritual connotations to the Songs of Solomon . . . YES

- Hence the reality is that unless someone takes the pains to tackle it and try to explain it to others in public . . . people like me are always going to be scared of tackling it ourselves without having to second guess ourselves and questioning our motives and looking at our conscience in the process of tackling the issue.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by nana(f): 10:10pm On Jan 13, 2010
Hmmm,SOS! How i preferred reading it while sermon is going on!  cheesy
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Moonstone(f): 10:19pm On Jan 13, 2010
In my opinion there is nothing metaphorical about Songs of Solomon. I don't think it has to do with God and mankind.
I have never, in all my life, seen mammary glands being described like the way it was in that book. It was so poetic and actually passionate. If it is metaphorical what do those 'fawns' represent?

"2Your navel is a rounded goblet
that never lacks blended wine.
Your waist is a mound of wheat
encircled by lilies. lipsrsealed

3 Your breasts are like two fawns,
twins of a gazelle." lipsrsealed

"7 Your stature is like that of the palm,
and your breasts like clusters of fruit. shocked shocked shocked

8 I said, "I will climb the palm tree;
I will take hold of its fruit." shocked shocked shocked
May your breasts be like the clusters of the vine,
the fragrance of your breath like apples,

9 and your mouth like the best wine"

This is only from Chapter 7 - NIV.
Please can someone find the metaphor in these verses?

This is exactly why this book is ignored in most sermons. No one has really ever preached on this book in detail. Only when it comes to weddings.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 10:23pm On Jan 13, 2010
Hence at the end of the day . . .

My Answer to the following Questions are given below:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it truth the Songs of Solomon is unholy . . . NO

So whats the problem . . . Our mind

What do i mean . . . Our mind is messed up and filled with filthy imaginations that we tend to see normal things sanctioned by The Creator as filthy occurences.

Why . . . Part of the nature of Sin that we had as a result of the fall in the Garden of Eden.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by spikedcylinder: 10:26pm On Jan 13, 2010
Some have been known to jerk off to its verses.
Just sayin'.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Moonstone(f): 10:31pm On Jan 13, 2010
N2A - show me the possible non-sexual meaning of the verses I just posted, please.

@ spiked - TMI! embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jan 13, 2010
Those who have the patience may want to go here http://www.ccel.org/ccel/guyon/song.iv.html to see a commentary that looks at the SOS from the point of view of the spiritual life.

Happy reading.
Re: That Ungodly, Unholy Book In The Bible Called 'Songs Of Solomon' by No2Atheism(m): 10:35pm On Jan 13, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Some have been known to jerk off to its verses.
Just sayin'.

- hmm @spikedcylinder lets keep the discussion to appropriate use of words . . .

- we are on the religious thread . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Concept Of Trinity: What Is Your Perception Of God The Holy Spirit? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome, The Senior Pastor Of Christ Embassy, Lagos Nigeria, Res / Proliferation Of Churches: A Need Or Nuisance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.