Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,729 members, 7,816,997 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) (18439 Views)

Open Letter To Gov Delta State On Plight Of Delta State Graduate Scholars Abroad / UNILORIN Student Who Won A Master's Scholarship Abroad (Photos) / NOT FOUND (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by iphyconsult: 8:03pm On May 19, 2017
This is actually a good time for the UK scholars to match to the embassy. This time that buhari is in UK. Can you see the 2015 scholar did last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFXW6drB8U

1 Like

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Kbanka: 8:17pm On May 19, 2017
Thank God Baba put them for budget. If not, E for no reach 8 months.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Hiccups: 8:31pm On May 19, 2017
President Buhari is in UK, although he's not too sound, a peaceful protest may send message to Buhari
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 19, 2017
franfumu:

Olodo, didn't you read that they are doing menial jobs already. They clean toilets, dispose refuse to buy food and transportation to school. Olodo, let me ask you, how will they pay their fees, accommodation etc. You see, you are a confirm Olodo. Please read the post again.

Did any of them told you they do all that, Miss smart ass, or is ur boy friend among them that u feel insulted by what i typed. You people will not live according to ur own level, you decide to live like others above you, if they can do all these work you mentioned & they are still broke. them be completely useless, they should just come back home.

By d way, You must be a very bitter woman, i pity ur future husband .

Dont you just feel ashamed typing & saying "olodo" gosh, what a totally classless lady.

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by shophut(m): 10:21pm On May 19, 2017
NDDC is NOT to be blamed. Mrs. Ibim Semenitari, former NDDC boss should be held accountable. The 2016 Postgraduate Foreign Scholarship was a complete FRAUD, lacks merit and transparency.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by iphyconsult: 10:50pm On May 19, 2017
We don't have to blame a single person, the entire NDDC as a whole have by one means or the other contributed to the delay.

Meanwhile, I wonder if some poeple truly understand that leaving in the foreign land like UK, US, Canada is far different from Nigeria. No amount of job and international student can do to cater for basic needs and bills. Not even to talk of paying tuition.

Another thing is that scholarship are meant for scholars not a street dude who just want to do underG runs to survive. If he's cut,...straight home.

Are we truly representing? Does NDDC scheme worth it if student are not emotionally stable because of threats from immigration, school, landlords,...
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Josgar(m): 11:03pm On May 19, 2017
It's very shameful and ridiculous that lip services are being paid to very serious issues in Nigeria. Every country, the world over, knows that education is the bedrock of any meaningful development. However, Nigeria is still dreaming and deceiving herself that we are on a path of sustainable development. We have leaders who only think of their belly. God bless the common man in Naija.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by toprealman: 1:57am On May 20, 2017
majekdom2:
I hear PTDF does the same even after selling million of scratch cards. Do we blame IBB or Buhari now. Hmmm, short of words.
Not true!
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by VicWonder: 9:21am On May 20, 2017
NDDC, how far?
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by VicWonder: 9:24am On May 20, 2017
Nsima Ekere, Mene Derek, how far una two?
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by VicWonder: 9:30am On May 20, 2017
Buhari, Osinbajo you don hear wetin your people dey suffer and you see the evil men behind their suffering.

Abeg use your office do something nah. If them be your boys and u no wan sack them, just order them to pay nah. No allow make these guys spoil una reputation abeg.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by ayeopare(m): 12:06pm On May 20, 2017
iphyconsult:
This is actually a good time for the UK scholars to match to the embassy. This time that buhari is in UK. Can you see the 2015 scholar did last year.

UK scholars can actually get this done. Please kindly do something.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Nobody: 12:21pm On May 20, 2017
Hiccups:
How I wish 2016 Scholars will match to embassy at UK now that Mr. President is around.

The Embassy people self get their own complain about unpaid arrears or so. it is well with Nigeria
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Hiccups: 12:39pm On May 20, 2017
Geesugar:

The Embassy people self get their own complain about unpaid arrears or so. it is well with Nigeria

Serious wahala, all the same students protest at embassy with video clips available will give room to push things through international media house, because Nigerian media house are useless on this issue. I'm certain once foreign media mainstream report, Nigeria media will rush to copy-paste angry
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Nobody: 12:54pm On May 20, 2017
Jiang:

if they can do all these work you mentioned & they are still broke. them be completely useless, they should just come back home.

Tuition for MSc and PhD is not moimoi o. it is not Bsc. plus Research money. Ordinary Bsc research I know how costly it was especially for science students.

N don't forget that the institutions that they are attending was not selected based on the presumption that they will be paying from their own labor. if they had known that they will be working to pay their fees, they would have selected institutions with that in mind( I know because I have applied to study abroad before )
plus the tuition fee for foreign applicants is exorbitant) Even in Nigerian universities tuition for foreigners is a lot higher. so in my opinion even if they decide to work 24/7( which is impossible because they have to study too) they will still not be able to pay

1 Like

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Nobody: 1:00pm On May 20, 2017
iphyconsult:

Chai !!! don't tell me this same complain comes up every year. it is well with our leaders

1 Like

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Nobody: 1:03pm On May 20, 2017
Geesugar:

Tuition for MSc and PhD is not moimoi o. it is not Bsc. plus Research money. Ordinary Bsc research I know how costly it was especially for science students.

N don't forget that the institutions that they are attending was not selected based on the presumption that they will be paying from their own labor. if they had known that they will be working to pay their fees, they would have selected institutions with that in mind( I know because I have applied to study abroad before )
plus the tuition fee for foreign applicants is exorbitant) Even in Nigerian universities tuition for foreigners is a lot higher. so in my opinion even if they decide to work 24/7( which is impossible because they have to study too) they will still not be able to pay

ok, i understand now, thanks for the clarification, i totally forgot about research, and you also raised alot of valid points. Thanks for that. Hope the government resolve d issue real soon
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Mayflowa(m): 5:10pm On May 20, 2017
Jiang:

Your missing the entire point here so...

No. You are the one missing it. No one can work to pay tuition in UK. You can only talk about meals. It's even hard for housing. Some fees go as much as 20,000 thousand pounds. The university I attended in UK (Cranfield University) now charge more than 20K. Students are only allowed to work 20 hrs per week. Minimum wage is about 6.50 to 7.50 pounds. Let's do the calculations:

6.50 x 20hrs = 130 pounds per week
That will amount to 520 pounds per month
For 8 months===> 520 X 8 = 4160 pounds. which is equivalent to 2.08million in Nigeria naira.

Assuming these students are staying under the cold bridge and dring water as food, now tell me how they would raise the other 15,000 pounds for their tuition.

Guy...Who has that dog's eye's pic?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by DSSHQ: 5:14pm On May 20, 2017
You're correct. Minimium wage is 7.20 pounds. 20 hours weekly is never enough. That dude has no idea of how the UK system works.My advice to intending scholars. Do not leave Nigeria with the NDDC scholarship except you have your own means of funding. Whenever, NDDC pays, it then becomes your bonus.
Mayflowa:

No. You are the one missing it. No one can work to pay tuition in UK. You can only talk about meals. It's even hard for housing. Some fees go as much as 20,000 thousand pounds. Students are only allowed to work 20 hrs per week. Minimum wage is about 6.50 to 7.50 pounds. Let do the calculations:

6.50 x 20hrs = 130 pounds per week
That will amount to 520 pounds per month
For 8 months===> 520 X 8 = 4160 pounds. which is equivalent to 2.08million in Nigeria naira.

Assuming these students are staying under the cold bridge and dring water as food, now tell me how they would raise the other 15,000 pounds for their tuition.

Guy...Who has that dog's eye's pic?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Michael6292: 5:20pm On May 20, 2017

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by ayeopare(m): 2:41am On May 21, 2017
Anfieldboss:
Lalasticlala, Seun, Olawalebabs, Mynd44 you guys should move this to Front page already.

These students need to get all the media attention they can get.
http://theneighbourhoodonline.com/education/2016-nddc-overseas-scholarship-beneficiaries-petition-ag-president-osinbajo-over-neglect.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Michael6292: 9:17am On May 21, 2017
Lalasticlala, Seun, Olawalebabs, Mynd44 you guys should move this to Front page already. These students need to get all the media attention they can get.
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by lalasticlala(m): 10:34am On May 21, 2017
Michael6292:
Lalasticlala, Seun, Olawalebabs, Mynd44 you guys
should move this to Front page already.
These students need to get all the media attention
they can get.

How many times do you want this on Home page?
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Mayflowa(m): 1:28pm On May 21, 2017
lalasticlala:

How many times do you want this on Home page?

This version hasn't been on home page. More so, you may not know how serious this case is. It is already consuming lives. Lives of high intelligence in a particular area.

CNN keeps reporting a case until it is blown out of proportion. That is how media works. Just like I kept seeing mercy aigbe 's stories on front page and the world knew she was battered.

2 Likes

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Hiccups: 2:16pm On May 21, 2017
Mayflowa:

CNN keeps reporting a case until it is blown out of proportion. That is how media works. Just like I kept seeing mercy aigbe 's stories on front page and the world knew she was battered.

Valid point. @lalasticlala there's no harm helping this student out by pushing this thread to FP if possible every day till government come to their aid
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by lalasticlala(m): 3:34pm On May 21, 2017
Mayflowa:

This version hasn't been on home page. More so, you may not know how serious this case is. It is already consuming lives. Lives of high intelligence in a particular area.

This particular thread was featured on home page few days ago
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by lalasticlala(m): 3:35pm On May 21, 2017
Hiccups:

Valid point. @lalasticlala there's no harm helping this student out by pushing this thread to FP if possible every day till government come to their aid

This thread was on home page few days ago that's why it's able to get upto 12k views
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by SmileyPie: 3:27pm On May 22, 2017
Bros, well done on writing this letter. can you quickly get some get some other scholars and make voice recording of their experience so far with this delay in payment (I do not require names or any details that Identify you specifically). basically, what the situation is for you and the impact on you/studies etc. send them via whatsapp to +447967802881
I need this ASAP to put together a media story

Dejinxzy:
OPEN LETTER TO THE NDDC MANAGING DIRECTOR

On behalf of the 2016 NDDC Scholars, we write to express our displeasure, disappointment and pathetic predicament at the hands of the Niger Delta Development Commission.

On the 4th of October 2016 at the Pre-Departure Briefing of the successful 2016 NDDC Scholars at Hotel Presidential, Port Harcourt, we were presented with an award letter which clearly provides for the payment of our Scholarship Fund. The award letter stipulates in Paragraph 2, Clause N that;

“Your tuition fee shall be disbursed directly to your University from your scholarship fund, while the balance, if any will be paid into your account for your accommodation and upkeep.”

Furthermore in accordance with the tradition of NDDC we were promised mobilisation fee to ameliorate the cost of our travel expenses, to wit; air ticket and visa application fees.

While we were assured of the payment of the said Scholarship Fund and Mobilisation Fee almost immediately by the former managing director, 8 months after, not even a dime has been paid to the 168 awardees of the 2016 Scholarship scheme. We are indeed very weary of the long wait and dejected by the embarrassment this has caused us in our various universities abroad. The said scholarship funds were provided for in the 2016 budget, however, 5 months into 2017 we still have not been paid. One can only imagine that the delay is deliberate to enrich the pockets of those causing the needless delays.

On the 5th of December, 2016, we paid a visit to the commission seeking to get an update on the delay of our funds. We were told that the funds were being processed and promised that it shall be disbursed soonest. Till date, we are still desperately waiting for the payment.

On the 20th of April 2017, due to the massive outcry and suicide attempts by some of the 2016 scholars, the commission reluctantly paid 32 scholars out of the 200 awardees, leaving the remaining 168 to wallow in want, dejection and despair. Since the commencement of our studies abroad, the quality of our lives have substantially declined due to the failure and reckless negligence of the commission to pay our upkeep funds. It beats our imagination how a country, through NDDC, can abandon its nationals in a foreign land for 8 months with impunity and immeasurable disdain, without providing any means of survival for them as provided for in our scholarship award letters.

Sadly, some of our colleagues were denied admission because of the non-reliance of the NDDC award letters by their institutions, because the commission is notorious abroad for its reckless and unnecessary delay in honouring its financial obligations to the institutions and scholars alike. Majority of the awardees are still in Nigeria because they could not afford the travel expense because NDDC has neglected to fund the travel expense as promised.

In light of the aforestated, we humbly request a detailed update on the true situation of things and prompt payment of the Scholarship and Mobilization funds. Sadly, we are almost at the verge of losing academic focus because of lack of funds. Our daily sad but inevitable distractions in school includes but are not limited to: hunger and starvation, constant embarrassment from the University authorities who threaten to unregister our studentship and report us to immigration service for non-payment of fees, embarrassment from our landlord's with the threat of eviction and lack of funds to buy basic clothing.

On this basis we do appeal to the office of the Ag. President, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, the senior special assistant to the President on Foreign matters and diaspora, the Governors of the Niger Delta States and the Managing Director of NDDC for a quick intervention on this issue.

Nothwithstanding all the challenges we face, we are proud to be associated with NDDC and are appealing that the aforementioned issues be speedily addressed, as our academic performance depends to a large extent on a balanced psychological state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by whistleblowerrs: 12:57pm On May 23, 2017
CALL THESE NUMBERS

MD NDDC +2348022906790, +2347034111711

The EDFA NDDC +2348091230944, +2348069283191
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by whistleblowerrs: 1:14pm On May 23, 2017
See the idiot called Derek Mene EDFA NDDC who refused to signed payment for Niger Delta students

Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by Hiccups: 3:01pm On May 23, 2017
Its so unfortunate Nigeria don't have reliable Judiciary, NDDC scholars could have sued NDDC for this inhumane treatment
Re: NDDC Abandons 2016 Scholars Abroad (Photos) by ayeopare(m): 8:43pm On May 24, 2017
Hiccups:
Its so unfortunate Nigeria don't have reliable Judiciary, NDDC scholars could have sued NDDC for this inhumane treatment

I beg move this to the front page.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

140 Engineers Conferred With Fellowship Of The Nigerian Society Of Engineers / UNIABUJA Students Offer To Pay Lecturers / ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Key Demands - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.