Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,213 members, 7,839,127 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Ifon Community Gets New Olufon In Ekiti - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Ifon Community Gets New Olufon In Ekiti (945 Views)

Khafi Kareem Visits Her Grandmother In Ekiti (Photo) / Actor Odunlade Adekola Pictured At The Inauguration Ceremony In Ekiti / AYE Cult Group Hail Davido As He Gets New ‘7’ Haircut With Their Slang(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ifon Community Gets New Olufon In Ekiti by olusegun17: 8:35pm On May 19, 2017
Ifon community gets new Olufon in Ekiti

The Olufon in Council, Ifon in Omu Ekiti area of Oye local government of Ekiti state has installed the new Olufon of Ifon land, Oba Lawrence Bamidele Idowu. 

The installation ceremony, which was led by the Obaisa (Prime minister), Chief Abraham Idowu Akanle drew all sons and daughters of Ifon to the ancient community on Monday.

In a release by the media consultant to the Olufon in Council, Kehinde Akinyemi, the appointment of Oba Lawrence Idowu, put to rest the purported installation of another person from another quarter, Arin Omu, by their traditional ruler, Oba Owajomu

Under Omu Ekiti, Ifon, Ibalogun and Arin Omu are three quarters that came together to run a confederation system of government. But, the recent development where Oba Owajomu installed a new Olufon stirred controversy and palpable tension.

Akanle, while addressing his kinsmen/women declared that by his title as Obaisa, he has the sole right to present Olufon to the people and the government, therefore, "I stand here today, to dismiss the previous exercise as it was exercise in futility".

The Oba Isa go down memory lane, saying, "the three quarters are independent and not superior to one another. They run a confederation government from ancient past. They only meet once month to deliberate on issue that connects them together and not usurping their traditional roles.

"Also under Ifon, we are divided into two, that is Ifon and Ilesi. They are of the same mother. And the arrangement over the years, is such that whenever we want to put on throne a new Olufon, the Olufon have to come to Ibepe in Obaisa house at Ilese for three months before he becomes the King of Ifon. And when Obaisa is to be on throne, he has to be at Olufon’s house for three months to become Oba Ilesi.

"But because of the margin, Olufon has to become the head (the first in command), while Obaisa has to become the second in command. The beauty of it is that Olufon can only install Obaisa, while other Chiefs have to be installed by Obaisa. It is an abomination for Olufon to install any chief, except Obaisa. So making it clearly, I am only performing my duty as Obaisa of Ilesi to install Olufon of Ifon.

Shortly after, the traditional rites to install, Oba Lawrence Bamidele Idowu were performed by Akanle-led Council to admiration of all sons and daughters present. While six chiefs were also presented their certificates.

The newly installed Oba Lawrence Bamidele Idowu while responding said "new era has dawn at Ifon and by God's grace it shall lead Ifon to land of glory."

The traditional ruler re-echoed that, history was also repeating it self, "as no reigning Obajomu ever witnessed the installation of Olufon. So, I am not surprised. We only need to thank God forgiving us this day, despite harassment and intimidation. I want to only appeal for peace in the land.

"I seek co-operation of all and sundry to join me in lifting Ifon to the promised land that it is destined to be," Oba Idowu said.

Some of the indigenes who spoke said that they were pleased with the process, describing it as soothing to the anxiety which has grown since Arin Omu, through Obajomu installed a ruler on them.

Olori Ejisun Afolabi, a school teacher said that the ceremony would calm nerves and anxiety which have started since "a stranger entered into Ifon to install Olufon on us. We are happy today. It is has shown that we are not abandoned by our leader, Obaisa. By this, let the usurpers go back to their domain," the visibly elated woman said.

Also, Pa Amos Babalola said the development at the beginning was worrisome, "because in the history of our tradition and culture, only Obaisa can install Olufon. But, today, history is only repeating itself and it shall open doors for progress and development of Ifon and Omu Ekiti in general.

Secretary to the Ifon youth, Kolawole Samuel Ajayi said the youth by the installation have been boosted, "because honestly there was palpable tension. But, today,we are proud to be indigenes of Ifon, because history has been made as it should. They had told us that it shall never be possible and God made it possible for Ifon today. You can see the joy and happiness in us all," Ajayi said.

The six chiefs presented with their certificates were, Chief Oluwafemi Andrew Akinlabi (Ejemu), Chief Faleye Ojo (Oloriawo), Chief Samuel Afolabi Ajayi (Obasa), Chief (Mrs) Ramotu Aruna (Aremo Obirin), Chief Oni Oluwatoba Elijah (Oloye) and Chief Florence Abiodun   (Ajado).

@@@@@@@@@@

(1) (Reply)

Sexy Nigerian Female Instructor At World Taekwondo Championship / Anita Joseph Puts Her Hour Glass Figure On Display / "I Have Rejected Million-dollar Deals To Be With Wizkid – Mr Eazi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.