Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,625 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Entangled - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Entangled (93623 Views)

Short Story: ENTANGLED / Entangled Souls (episode 2) / Entangled Souls (episode 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 10:34pm On Jul 06, 2017
queenitee:
But wait o, shalomdee what's Popping? What's wrong? No updates

My dear I was compiling one work like that and after I had succeeded in sending it NEPA tried frustrating but it is well. I am back, Thanks love, you motivate me.
Re: Entangled by Toyin223(f): 11:14pm On Jul 06, 2017
Shalomdee:

My dear I was compiling one work like that and after I had succeeded in sending it NEPA tried frustrating but it is well. I am back, Thanks love, you motivate me.
WELCOME Back Sister

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 11:19pm On Jul 06, 2017
Toyin223:
WELCOME Back Sister

Thanks dear
Re: Entangled by smokeydrinky: 7:23am On Jul 07, 2017
Oh wow!! ! Welcome back shalomdee

1 Like

Re: Entangled by queenitee(f): 8:42am On Jul 07, 2017
Shalomdee:

Ah, sorry. Welcome back
Re: Entangled by queenitee(f): 8:45am On Jul 07, 2017
Shalomdee:

Ah, sorry. Welcome back
My Jane is the bomb
Re: Entangled by AyarmBoye(m): 9:32am On Jul 07, 2017
Miss Shalomdee welcome back... Oya drop nah

1 Like

Re: Entangled by hormobolanle: 11:08am On Jul 07, 2017
chaiiiiiii c talk o, dis man don suffer Oo na Wetin dy good for Dia type b dat

oya o shalomdee coman update o, am hungry

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Kimkardashain(f): 11:10am On Jul 07, 2017
Shalomdee welcum bk, u missed alot of love hiccups drama oh, and hidden diamonds tasha and lucifer, even Fear tasha and ramsey and the killer,
bt cum dayo is ur brain painin u?
swity cum and update oh

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Akinwale14(m): 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2017
Shalomdee Nice story dear keep it up
Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 11:25pm On Jul 07, 2017
CHAPTER EIGHT continued

“Has the headaches subsided?” Rahila asked still peering into the file she held.

Her patient rolled his head and managed to nod. He was clad in a blue agbada that looked faded and unwashed. His body lay almost lifeless on the hospital bed.

“What about sleep. Did you have quality sleep last night?” Rahila went on managing to add a little concern to her voice. She had seen worse cases than this and could not be moved by the man’s symptoms.

The man nodded in the affirmative. She dropped the file on the edge of the bed and with the right hand took the man’s wrist to check his pulse. Her left hand held the phone from which she observed the stopwatch. After a minute, she dropped the phone and wrote down something on the file. She took his other vitals and recorded it down. “You will soon be well Hassan.” She ended saying. The man mumbled something she could not comprehend; she nodded and moved to the next patient.

At 9 a.m she finished checking the patients in the ward and went to the nurses’ station. Angela and another female nurse were already there. They were preparing to leave the hospital to their homes.

“How is your oga now?” Angela questioned her.

“He is fine. He left for work this morning. Only God knows how the two of us are able to cope with this work.” Rahila said in the middle of applying powder to her face.

“I was meaning to ask, have you not seen any pregnancy signs since your wedding over a year ago?” Angela asked as she slid her legs into her low-heeled, white-coloured, patent- leather shoes.

Rahila did not reply her. She slowly smeared the pink lipstick on her lips and looked into the mirror. Lancelot hated makeup and the only place she could use it was at work.

“Nurse Rahila, I am asking you a question.” Angela intoned.

Rahila turned to look at Angela. “What are you expecting me to say? In my place married women do not answer such questions except if it is coming from their mother-in-laws.”

“Oh, I am sorry o. I was just asking out of concern. We are friends after all. Such things should not be a secret between us. There are some things I can tell you that will help you in your marriage.”

“I understand.” Rahila said and fell silent right back.

They were now alone in the nurses’ station. Angela waited thinking Rahila would open up to her but when it was obvious Rahila would not, she decided to change the topic slightly. “Is your cousin still with you?”

“Yes she is.”

“When will she leave?”

“Not anytime soon Nurse Angela.”

“Hmmn,” Angela paused, “You know it is not that safe to have another female in the house with your husband. Even if you need help you can employ a lady who will come at working hours and leave in the evening. Girls nowadays are spoilt and are only bent on doing mischief. I am not saying your cousin is that way, just saying you should not be so flexible with a lady close to your husband.”

The intercom buzzed. Rahila turned to her again. “My cousin is well behaved and my husband is self controlled. I wish I could talk more with you but I really must go. See you soon.” She straightened her yellow nurses’ gown and exited the nurses’ station.

Angela’s eyes followed her. She hissed when the latter was gone. She mumbled a proverb about the stubborn fly following the dead corpse to the grave, carried her tan bag and came out.

5 Likes

Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 11:27pm On Jul 07, 2017
Kimkardashain:
Shalomdee welcum bk, u missed alot of love hiccups drama oh, and hidden diamonds tasha and lucifer, even Fear tasha and ramsey and the killer,
bt cum dayo is ur brain painin u?
swity cum and update oh

Thanks sweetie, will definitely get back to those good reads
Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 11:28pm On Jul 07, 2017
smokeydrinky:
Oh wow!! ! Welcome back shalomdee

Thanks, you too
Re: Entangled by Hadampson(m): 9:19am On Jul 08, 2017
Thanks for the dedication Shalomdee
#still following even though ayam ghost readingcheesy

1 Like

Re: Entangled by queenitee(f): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2017
What is wrong with Nurse Angela self? Yea, let assume she is right, but the way she said what she said portray jealousy and I trust Jane to be a sensible young woman

1 Like

Re: Entangled by talk2saintify(m): 2:16pm On Jul 08, 2017
Shalomdee:
I dedicate this piece to everyone following the story, thanks for your patience: ravelez EvaJael Ayoomolabake holuwanoisy111 Lilyjoe567 queenitee Akinwale14 mhizgap hormobolanle Chumzypinky Ifecoded talk2saintify MhizDerbee Kayzybaba anambraamaka abefe99 Hadampson WHOcarex Nathblessing Pearl105 VETSURGEON123 yewande1234 Kimardashain bossy512 kesterkendra royalty18 babyface224 crislyn Psalmwhyte Toyin223 VeeGeeCee Godmother Odufanabasa Loboski bossy512 joiful Misselocon AyarmBoye FreshestManny Labrey95

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Entangled by talk2saintify(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2017
Shalomdee:
CHAPTER EIGHT continued

The girls along with Isaac visited Jane’s mother, she received them warmly and served them awara, a snack made with soy beans, along with orange juice. She questioned Jane about her stay in Abuja and made a remark about Jane preferring to be with other relatives than with her, Jane took it as a joke. Isaac was handed a brown brand new toy car as his Christmas gift. The girls were given N500 each. They left after a short while.

wow awara alawved that snack like die when ah stayed in abacha road nasarawa

2 Likes

Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2017
CHAPTER NINE
Mrs Okoronkwo looked down at the orange juice and queen’s cake that had been set in front of her. Her eyes trailed after Jane as she walked away casually. She touched it lightly and decided to continue talking. She was dressed in an expensive peach lace and wore white beads to adorn herself.

“How are you sure the symptoms have returned?” She asked her son in Igbo.

Lancelot took a little while to answer. He was seated on the sofa sipping a cup of tea. He placed the cup on the saucer and closed his eyes as if in deep thought.

“I can hardly concentrate any longer without those consuming thoughts that bothered me in the past. I am struggling really hard to put myself together so I behave sane. It’s getting more difficult as the days go by.

Mrs Okoronkwo bowed her head and raised it up almost immediately. “And you say the girl is the reason for this?” She continued in Igbo.

Lancelot nodded. It had not been his plan to reveal his challenge to his mother, but she had come unexpectedly to check up on them and it was impossible to hide what he was going through from her especially as she took one look at him and remarked in Igbo that she knew he was not fine. He had no choice than disclose to her his experience.

“Then let her leave the house, before it gets out of hand.” As Mrs Okoronkwo said this she looked in the direction of Jane who by now was engaged in some activity in the kitchen with Rahila.

“She can’t Mum, not now. I can’t send her away now, I don’t want her to leave.” Lancelot spat out. He bit his lips which were dry from not applying petroleum jelly.

Mrs Okoronkwo clapped her hands together. “But she must, for peace to reign. How complicated can it be?”

“You of all people know that. Do I need to remind you about Amaka and Salem.” His heart pounded as he mentioned the two ladies in his life that had in the past made him loose his mind. They were dear to him, though sadly, each of them had died.

“I will not allow this to happen to you again for the third time, you hear me? Listen to me, she has to leave. I understand you want to sponsor her education; you can do that without her staying where you are. I will bring Ndubisi to come and help your wife. It is better that way. What was I thinking not to have alerted your wife about bringing in her cousin? I cannot afford you becoming obsessive again.”

Lancelot rolled his head from side to side like a toddler. “But I am already and I cannot afford to let her go. When I see her, I see Sa... I see Amaka. I need you to come up with a better plan for me to overcome this.”

Mrs Okoronkwo let out a groan and covered her head with her hands. Why was her son always becoming obsessive of the nearest female relative to him? First it was his only sister, Amaka, she died, then it was Salem his first cousin who they had adopted, she died of a suicide, he had almost died as a result of it. That had been 15 years ago and they all thought he had overcome that curse. Now it was here again, to take away peace and sanity.

“Have you gone to see the psychiatrist?” She asked. He eyes had now changed colour from a bright white to brown.

“No I have not.” He stated flatly. The psychiatrist was the last place he wanted to visit as a doctor. He dreaded it more than he dreaded his wife finding out.

“Then you have to go, please or do you want me to follow you like I used to do in the past?”

A silver coloured tear fell on his lap. “I am grown up now Mum.”

Rahila changed into her blue silky nightgown and sprayed her perfume she only used for bedtime, it was her charm perfume, she never went to bed without it. Its soothing scent had the ability to lure anyone tensed to fall asleep, and it worked magic in Lancelot’s nose as well. She took a casual glance at him now, he was dressed in his blue pyjamas and was sitting straight on the bed with his legs spread on the comforter. He looked worried, he normally looked nervous every other night before they slept, but today he looked as if the world was going to end.

She gracefully sat on the bed and inched nearer to him. “What did Mum say to you this evening?” She asked. “Was it about me?”

He looked at her. Her face wore a fearful look. “It was not about you Darling. Just some personal matters between Mum and I.” He patted her hand.

“But you two talked for so long and the discussion was a heated one. Since she came yesterday I have been silently hoping she did not come to ask me why I have not gotten pregnant yet.” She looked into his eyes for more assurance but his eyes were lost in thought.

“ Baby, don’t you worry about nothing.”

She was not convinced. “What else will make her be carrying a grave expression everywhere around the house? Besides, you Igbos take pregnancy after marriage very serious, I won’t be surprised if that is the main reason she came.”

He sighed. He placed a hand around her shoulders and told her to rest her mind. Nobody was going to give her any trouble. They lay down soon after. Lancelot had a short dream, in the dream Jane was pregnant and in labour, he took her to the hospital; at the hospital she transformed to little Amaka in her pink sequined dress jerking on the floor, he tried to help her and then she transformed to Salem in her black lace gown holding the black thread that she had strangled herself with, her eyes were wide open. He woke up suddenly. His body was covered in sweat.

“Blood of Jesus.” He uttered in a coarse voice, “There can be no relationship between the living and the dead, I cover my life with the precious blood of Jesus, I cancel any negative implication of that dream in Jesus name.”

He looked at the clock upon the wall. It was 12 a.m. He left the bed and went out of the room carrying his files with him. He placed them on the glass table and sat on the long armchair, and then he fixed his gaze on the T.V as he put it on.

6 Likes

Re: Entangled by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jul 08, 2017
Thanks for the update ma'am. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Toyin223(f): 11:12pm On Jul 08, 2017
TANK U Sister

1 Like

Re: Entangled by queenitee(f): 11:13pm On Jul 08, 2017
Lobatan my Jane, now you are Lancelot's obsession.
Re: Entangled by FreshestManny(m): 7:43am On Jul 09, 2017
Shalomdee:
I dedicate this piece to everyone following the story, thanks for your patience: ravelez EvaJael Ayoomolabake holuwanoisy111 Lilyjoe567 queenitee Akinwale14 mhizgap hormobolanle Chumzypinky Ifecoded talk2saintify MhizDerbee Kayzybaba anambraamaka abefe99 Hadampson WHOcarex Nathblessing Pearl105 VETSURGEON123 yewande1234 Kimardashain bossy512 kesterkendra royalty18 babyface224 crislyn Psalmwhyte Toyin223 VeeGeeCee Godmother Odufanabasa Loboski bossy512 joiful Misselocon AyarmBoye FreshestManny Labrey95

Thank you for the mention. I'm so loving your story.

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Kimkardashain(f): 8:11am On Jul 09, 2017
tnks 4 the update, shalomdee
Re: Entangled by bummybummy(f): 8:13am On Jul 09, 2017
what kind of sickness is dat? sorry 4 Lancelot to b passing tru dat kind of tin and u Jane, mayb u should just excuse d couple b4 somtin will go out of hand
Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 4:09pm On Jul 09, 2017
CHAPTER NINE continued

He had been five when Amaka his little sister had been born, Gerard had been his immediate younger brother, the one who he always had fights with. He could not remember how pleased he was then when it was announced that he had a younger sister, but his parents said he had been joyful. He took part in her dressing and feeding as an infant and his mother was quick to leave Amaka in the company of Lancelot who would even request that she be tied to his back.

Things moved fine for them, even though Amaka was later diagnosed with Sickle cell anemia, the family managed to cope with her frequent bouts of sicknesses. But when Lancelot would go nowhere without her, eat nothing without her and spend sleepless nights if she was ill, Mr and Mrs Okoronkwo knew they had a lot to deal with. Then his obsession about Amaka became serious, he wanted to always be around her at all times and when she was hurt, he cried with noticeable tears and made frantic steps to alleviate her pains.

They took him to see the psychiatrist when he was ten; Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the psychiatrist told his parents disinterestedly; this had to do with a combination of obsessions and compulsive behaviours that were abnormal. Why had they waited for long before coming to the hospital? He hoped the boy did not molest the sister sexually? The child had to start receiving medications and intensive Cognitive Behaviour Therapy; he would have to be admitted in the mental health ward for monitoring.

As his parents contemplated keeping him in the ward, he cried loudly and rolled on the floor. He did not want to stay in the hospital, they had to take him back home, Amaka would be seriously sick if they did not do so and he would not forgive them if anything happened to her.

The psychiatrist who was used to handling patients like these insisted his case required admission. If they wanted to see their son normal again, they had to leave him in specialized hands. The parents agreed and deposited money for his admission; Mrs Okoronkwo left for home to pack his clothes and bring back while Mr Okoronkwo stayed back to calm Lancelot but it was of no use as he already knew he was going to lose his sister soon.

The treatments started, he was given an injection to knock him out so that for three days he was too weak to move from the bed, in his semi awaken state he would call out for his sister and demand to see her. Nobody paid attention to him, they felt he was not yet fit to see his sister again, he was just a crazy boy in need of more medications. Back at home Amaka caught pneumonia because of exposure in the fierce Jos cold. Her mother left Lancelot and returned to battle with it, it became severe, she was rushed to hospital to be relieved of the congestion in her chest as she struggled to breathe.

“Lancelot,” she kept saying in between deep and difficult breaths, her eyes wary and sad.

Her mother shed tears as she looked at her sick daughter. She made a frantic call to her husband in the mental ward. Lancelot needed to come and see his sister, there was something going on she could not understand. She dropped the call and went back to the Intensive Unit where her child was kept to be with her. An hour later, Lancelot, awake but in a weak state was accompanied by his father and a nurse, they came to the I.U and looked on through the glass.

“Allow my son to come in here; he needs to see his sister, Doc.” Mrs Okoronkwo begged the Doctor.

She shook her head in reply. “Kids are not allowed inside; your daughter needs a peaceful atmosphere.”

“My daughter needs him,” she cried in a low tone.

“I’m sorry,” the doctor muttered, he clearly was. “It is hospital policy.”

Outside the I.U, Lancelot sobbed as he viewed Amaka from the glass, she was in pains and she needed to see him. He silently begged God to help his sister. As he cried, Amaka started gasping, her mother called for the attention of the doctor. He came to her and tried to fix the tubes well. Amaka jerked on the bed thrice and lay there still. Lancelot wailed, his only sister was gone.

“Lancelot Okafor Okoronkwo!” A nurse in a plain white gown called from the doctor’s office.

He turned to her direction, she beckoned to him. He removed the hand on his chin, stood up and walked with heavy steps to the office.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 4:11pm On Jul 09, 2017
Ayoomolabake:
Thanks for the update ma'am. Kudos.

Pleasure is mine
Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 4:12pm On Jul 09, 2017
Kimkardashain:
tnks 4 the update, shalomdee

For you dear, I will do anything
Re: Entangled by Shalomdee(f): 4:13pm On Jul 09, 2017
bummybummy:
what kind of sickness is dat? sorry 4 Lancelot to b passing tru dat kind of tin and u Jane, mayb u should just excuse d couple b4 somtin will go out of hand

Welcome dear, thanks for reading, as the story proceeds we will know more

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Kimkardashain(f): 4:35pm On Jul 09, 2017
Shalomdee:

For you dear, I will do anything
awww,am blushing

1 Like

Re: Entangled by queenitee(f): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2017
Awwwn, I'm so sorry

1 Like

Re: Entangled by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 09, 2017
cry
Re: Entangled by Queensiju: 7:08pm On Jul 09, 2017
OCD, never heard of that one. Nice story. Welldone Shalomdee.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Generation To Generations... / PLAGIARIZED (The Story Was Just The Beginning) / The Silent Lover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.