Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija (39787 Views)

How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria / Everything You Didn't Notice In Buhari's Latest Photos - Ynaija / How The North Is Underdeveloping Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by GrandGarcon: 10:45pm On May 20, 2017
IkediEbubes:

Villager, Shame wont let you admit it, its normal. Lmaooo
admit what? That I have only lived in that dirty place dor two days when I went there for Visa back in 2006?

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by TVTKOKO(m): 10:45pm On May 20, 2017
Guestlander:

You need to save your energy for the herculean task ahead of you. You won't overtake Lagos by chatting garbage on the internet. You will not do it by crying and sulking like a child who got his toy taken away. Get off nairaland and start working, put your yam legs to work.
lmao.. I'd love to meet intelligent people like this. You're so spot on!!!

10 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by fidukpong: 10:45pm On May 20, 2017
Don't know y Nigerians shy away from truth especially when one is involved. unarguably, Lagos is what it is today >90% because it has been the political, economical & administrative hub of Nigeria.

These caused embassies, international airport, national theater, to name a few to be sited in Lagos and no one can overemphasize the positive impact of these to Lagos economy in all ramifications

Now can anyone reminiscene this region when calabar was the Centre of govt? Someone mentioned here that Lagos went on a down curve when the capital was moved to Abuja - WHY? An answer was given that it was the civilian govt that revived it - blatant lie. Were the structures and people moved or what percentage of people moved. All states have liason office in Lagos tell us in which states has Lagos built a liaison office.
To end this matter for now, let the FG aactivate just sea ports in other states along the coast and see economic response in those states.

Nigeria economy is monopolized by Lagos - even access to some oil/gas platforms are closer from other states but we continue to use Lagos to access these platforms. Indeed, I agree that Nigeria backwardness is caused by Lagos. Let FG begin to look at developing other states in line with their endowment then Lagos would have been depopulated. Mass exodus of youth to Lagos for white collar jobs or township euphoria would have been seriously reduced.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by IkediEbubes: 10:46pm On May 20, 2017
GrandGarcon:
admit what? That I have only lived in that dirty place dor two days when I went there for Visa back in 2006?

Buhahaahaa. This villager is funny. You are a nobody and can only rant from your erosion ravaged village, tell your sermon to millions of flat head in SW.

10 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 10:46pm On May 20, 2017
Omoluabi16:
This writer is wrong. Like someone said, this is the writers version of africa blaming the white man for her woes. Lagos has used her competitive advantage maximally. For an economy to thrive, I dare say you do not really need much resource, but create an attractive and sustainable environment. This is where lagos and the west largely has succeeded. The Lagos we see today is as a result of long term planning.
There is even no parallel with the comment in bold. Lagos unlike the Oyinbos did not go to the other states to steal resources and subjugate the inhabitants. This write up is more or less making the claim that the name Lagos is synonymous with the names of Governors of other states. Did Lagos push these Governors to steal funds from their states and then bring these funds to come build hotels and houses in Lagos? Aha.

12 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:48pm On May 20, 2017
logica:
There is even no parallel with the comment in bold. Lagos unlike the Oyinbos did not go to the other states to steal resources and subjugate the inhabitants. This write up is more or less making the claim that the name Lagos is synonymous with the names of Governors of other states. Did Lagos push these Governors to steal funds from their states and then bring these funds to come build hotels and houses in Lagos? Aha.
I don't think the writer implied what you're saying. Was Lagos Nigeria's flagship city or not?

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 10:50pm On May 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

I don't think the writer implied what you're saying. Was Lagos Nigeria's flagship city or not?
...and what does being the so called "flagship" city have to do with "Lagos under developing the rest of Nigeria"? Calabar was "flagship" no be so? Please, if you want Enugu as "flagship" we can give it to you.

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by eyinjuege: 10:50pm On May 20, 2017
alexiej:

Well, actually, Nasarrawa cannot do much with their mineral resources cos the Fed Govt has exclusive rights to that... But I get your point though.

I stay in Oyo State and I know how desperately 'UN-INNOVATIVE' our leaders are here. No thoughts as to how to increase IGR, apart from taxes and levies. Osun gov could not generate anything reasonable from his state and he blamed the Jonathan administration for his inability to pay his staff cos according to him, Osun got the lowest allocation. Now, his party member is president and he can't complain about that anymore, yet, he hasn't paid salaries.

I am a law student. I know the landmark laws and procedures that Lagos has pioneered in Nigeria. They seem to review their laws regularly and even though there's still a lot to do, they seem to be on their toes about it. But what do you see in Oyo State, Osun state, etc? Copy copy! Busy copying from Lagos!!!

I agree with you bro.... It would actually be unfair to think Lagos has anything to do with the failures of other states.

I find Oyo state leaders really lazy. I quite understand its a large state, but nevertheless, there's so much potential there.
They haven't had good leaders, and their kingmakers like adedibu were just after their pockets. Wetin consign them with devt?
The problem though isn't only with the state govts. Even the local govts are filled with thieves!, what of all those yeye reps? Everyone is after their pockets.
We need to start holding leaders accountable starting from local govt chairman, rep members before we even get to the governors

8 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:51pm On May 20, 2017
logica:
...and what does being the so called "flagship" city have to do with "Lagos under developing the rest of Nigeria"? Calabar was "flagship" no be so? Please, if you want Enugu as "flagship" we can give it to you.
Why must everything be fight for some of you. Can't we have a simple discussion without being confrontational?

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by smallJagaban: 10:51pm On May 20, 2017
BORNTOSUCKPUSSY:
5.00 gpa so you still dey alive? Ur brain still below par

FATHER FORGIVE HIM FOR HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TYPING

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by GrandGarcon: 10:53pm On May 20, 2017
IkediEbubes:

Buhahaahaa. This villager is funny. You are a nobody and can only rant from your erosion ravaged village, tell your sermon to millions of flat head in SW.
Yes I am a nobody, but you are arguing with a nobody, so who is a nobody? First and foremost, I was arguing with another fellow befor you jumped in just to argue with a nobody, so who is a nobody? Only a mad man will tell another mad man "you are mad".

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by einsteine(m): 10:53pm On May 20, 2017
This isn't true. In the US, there are multi-billion dollar companies in every state. New York, California, Texas, Washington, Illinois, Florida all have tons of companies. Same as in China.

In Nigeria, every single company of note is headquartered in Lagos. Just the same way Nigeria has been a single commodity economy, it has also become a single state economy. Everything in Nigeria is unnecessarily centralized.

Guestlander:
I think what we are seeing regarding Lagos is true for many other countries, for Germany it is Bavaria, for USA it is California, China the Guangdong region, Canada it is Ontario. Lagos is not underdeveloping the rest of Nigeria it is actually doing the opposite.

4 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by smallJagaban: 10:54pm On May 20, 2017
vickylincon:
hatred. but jokes apart. if you get to Anambra, you will see wonders. I served in IMO state. I wonder why these guys keep on ranting online instead of them to be promoting their culture so that people can come there

YOU MEAN ANAMBRA IS A DEVELOPED STATE? WITH JERRY CAN

ANAMBRA =JEERY CAN, KEG...

WHAT'S THE IGR FOR ANAMBRA STATE?

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by logica(m): 10:54pm On May 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

Why must everything be fight for some of you. Can't we have a simple discussion without being confrontational?
Confrontational? With who? LMAO. You can't even get that your state Governors are the ones under developing states by embezzling funds and ironically bringing them to Lagos to invest; you are deflecting the matter to "flagship". Where is the argument in that?

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Kennydoc(m): 10:54pm On May 20, 2017
Guestlander:

Calm yourself down kid. There's no evidence of deliberate or systemic scheme to hold anyone down.

Even the Lagos you are all screaming about was on a downward trend after the Federal government moved to Abuja until the civilian government came in and luckily the governors of Lagos have done remarkably well to rescue the trend.

Tell your own governors to put your states and your people first.

Lagos wasn't on any real downward trend biko. All the states were a mess as a result of military rule, but Lagos had the infrastructures, the system (airport, sea ports, industries, even the population etc) to make it thrive. They were simply underutilized during the military governments. Other states don't even have anything at all.

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by PunditAfrica(m): 10:54pm On May 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

You people make it seem as if Lagos was founded in 1999. Lagos has been there for decades and people starting trooping into Lagos as far back as the 50s, so don't make it seem like it's Tinubu, fashola or Ambode's magic that made people from all over the place to troop to Lagos. The federal government made it so. As much as other state governments are not trying. They did not meet the luxury that Lagos governors met. lagos was a goldmine waiting to be explored. You can't have almost 20 million inhabitants in a city with thousands to millions of business and not see a cash cow. That of what Lagos has taken advantage of.

People have bn migrating to lagos since late 18th century my dear. B4 Nigeria, Lagos was already a huge potential. That the white pple settled in lagos to administer yet to be Nigeria as far back as 185* was not a mistake. Lagos is meant for greatness...

9 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:55pm On May 20, 2017
logica:
Confrontational? With who? LMAO. You can't even get that your state Governors are the ones under developing states by embezzling funds and ironically bringing them to Lagos to invest; you are deflecting the matter to "flagship". Where is the argument in that?
You see what i'm talking about. A simple discussion has turned to your state versus my state. na wa

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:56pm On May 20, 2017
PunditAfrica:

People have bn migrating to lagos since late 18th century my dear. B4 Nigeria, Lagos was already a huge potential. That the white pple settled in lagos to administer yet to be Nigeria as far back as 185* was not a mistake. Lagos is meant for greatness...
Many pplaces were meant for greatness but they never happened because they did not get the push that Lagos got. You can deny it all you want but Lagos got the push that other part of Nigeria did not get.

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by einsteine(m): 10:56pm On May 20, 2017
Actually, the state with the biggest economy in the US is California followed by Texas.

oyetpel:

USA is New York

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by IkediEbubes: 10:57pm On May 20, 2017
[s]
GrandGarcon:
Yes I am a nobody, but you are arguing with a nobody, so who is a nobody? First and foremost, I was arguing with another fellow befor you jumped in just to argue with a nobody, so who is a nobody? Only a mad man will tell another mad man "you are mad".
[/s]

This is a forum and not your ipob page, you were spewing trash about some people holding you down and i told you to tell your kinsmen to leave cos no one is holding them. Villagers like you have no shame, reason you were disgraced by the other guy, that dirty place is where your people are ready to die just to live there. Stop disgracing your family online.

9 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 10:59pm On May 20, 2017
einsteine:
Actually, the state with the biggest economy in the US is California followed by Texas.

I thought it was Texas before California.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by ebby9z(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2017
This article is a ranting of a shallow, unthinking bias individual. Why would you blame someone else for your own underdevelopment? That's the problem with failures, they blame everybody but themselves for their misfortune.
There was a time Las Vegas had nothing. It was nothing but an abandoned desert while oil producing Texas were making money and building their city. Did Las Vegas whine about being underdeveloped? No. They simply invested in entertainment centres and successfully became the gambling capital of the world.
Agreed, Nigeria is not operating true federalism which engenders rapid development, however, most governors have been lazy, uncreative and foolish. They'd rather buy jeeps for traditional rulers or celebrate meaningless state anniversaries. If Lagos, since 1999 has continued on an aggressive drive to develop the city and others are still languishing in backwardness, whose fault is that?

7 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Stinson007(m): 11:00pm On May 20, 2017
OP Lagos can't underdevelop other regions, Lagos is a market that has developed a value chain that most investors/business can't ignore. Every other region could start with giving the suitable environment for business to thrive, then woo investors, develop a value chain with more employment rate, security,infrastructures,industrial innovation,healthy competition etc migration of the desirable demographics with time giving into a multiplier effect.. That is what willie is doing in Anambra

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by ebby9z(m): 11:01pm On May 20, 2017
Afam4eva:

Many pplaces were meant for greatness but they never happened because they did not get the push that Lagos got. You can deny it all you want but Lagos got the push that other part of Nigeria did not get.
Failures blame everybody but themselves.

8 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by einsteine(m): 11:01pm On May 20, 2017
No, it is California, Texas, New York, Illinois and Florida. Top five US state economies.

Afam4eva:

I thought it was Texas before California.

1 Like

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by Afam4eva(m): 11:02pm On May 20, 2017
einsteine:
No, it is California, Texas, New York, Illinois and Florida. Top five US state economies.

Yeah, just confirmed that. I thought the Texas oil industry made it number one.

2 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by DPsalmist2(m): 11:05pm On May 20, 2017
Then it is up to others to catch up. Lagos shouldn't halt its progress because others are falling behind.

6 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by joinnow: 11:10pm On May 20, 2017
Lagos couple with Federal government are undwr developing other region.
Let use seaport as analysis.
Hope you know ships stay some 2weeks b4 it get to their turn to be cleared.sometime you look at barbeach at night u will think there is many hotel in the Ocean courtesy of ship berting and waiting for there turn.
Akwa ibom have deep sea port but govt will always politicise moving some ship to offload their good at ibom deep sea port.
Port Harcourt sea is not functioning

All the oil company run come lagos come build headquarters left the area where they operate.
Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by eyinjuege: 11:11pm On May 20, 2017
einsteine:

This isn't true. In the US, there are multi-billion dollar companies in every state. New York, California, Texas, Washington, Illinois, Florida all have tons of companies. Same as in China.

In Nigeria, every single company of note is headquartered in Lagos. Just the same way Nigeria has been a single commodity economy, it has also become a single state economy. Everything in Nigeria is unnecessarily centralized.

Hmm, but people seem to forget that you have to make your place attractive and conducive for investors to even think of coming close.
Even Dangote has opened refinery in Lagos, so you can imagine what foreigners will do.
I can't imagine any investor coming to Nigeria think of Borno state and its environs for now. Even the Niger Delta will appear scary to them, and their fears are legitimate if we're going to be honest with ourselves.
As a foreigner, you wouldn't want to invest in crises ridden areas e.g religious and ethnic crises.
One special thing about Lagos is the fact that its multicultural and diverse. There's no tribe ( don't forget we have over 250 tribes in Nigeria, and I'm not even concerned about the major tribes now) you probably won't find its people well represented. Some people feel safer while in Lagos than even their own villages.
That's one thing that has also contributed in my opinion.

9 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by quickly: 11:17pm On May 20, 2017
darfay:

The article is very correct. in Nigeria even after living in ondo and schooling in Benin you must come to Lagos for ordinary white collar job
Every city in the countries you mentioned have their competitive advantage Chicago is as big a financial centre as NYC while Texas is a good rival to California. In Germany Frankfurt,Berlin,Hamburgetc
The article is spot on no excuse for Lagos dominating a large country like Nigeria

Wat a backward way of thinking. If d other governors stop embezzling money maybe they will have money to pay workers.

3 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by TVTKOKO(m): 11:18pm On May 20, 2017
Stinson007:
OP Lagos can't underdevelop other regions, Lagos is a market that has developed a value chain that most investors/business can't ignore. Every other region could start with giving the suitable environment for business to thrive, then woo investors, develop a value chain with more employment rate, security,infrastructures,industrial innovation,healthy competition etc migration of the desirable demographics with time giving into a multiplier effect.. That is what willie is doing in Anambra
as simple as that! Every region in the country has a potential to go big

5 Likes

Re: How Lagos May Be Underdeveloping The Rest Of Nigeria - Ynaija by quickly: 11:20pm On May 20, 2017
joinnow:
Lagos couple with Federal government are undwr developing other region.
Let use seaport as analysis.
Hope you know ships stay some 2weeks b4 it get to their turn to be cleared.sometime you look at barbeach at night u will think there is many hotel in the Ocean courtesy of ship berting and waiting for there turn.
Akwa ibom have deep sea port but govt will always politicise moving some ship to offload their good at ibom deep sea port.
Port Harcourt sea is not functioning

All the oil company run come lagos come build headquarters left the area where they operate.

Blame that on kidnapping. Some foreigners came to work on refinery in Niger delta they had to stay in hotel 24hrs because the company could not afford the oyinbo to be kidnapped.

If you make ur environment welcoming u will have more
Investments.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Unveiling Of The New Chief Obafemi Awolowo Statue By Governor Ambode / Abba Kyari In Germany, Holds Talks With Siemens On Improved Power / Abba Kyari Meets Ambode After The Rescue Of Kidnapped Lagos Schoolgirls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.