Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,090 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba (10497 Views)

David Jemibewon: When I Remember Biafra War Killings, I’m Still Pained / If You Are Yoruba Please See This Before Rejoicing / N88bn compensation: FG yet to pay us — Biafra war victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Youngadvocate(m): 7:49pm On May 22, 2017
Biafran Heroes of Yoruba Extraction

Not many of us remember the Yoruba soldiers who fought gallantly on the side of Biafra.This is a quick attempt to remember some of them now.

1.Lt Col Victor Banjo

He was one of the first graduates to join the army alongside Ojukwu and others.The two were best of friends according to public records and individual accounts.When Ojukwu released the January 15 coup suspects in the Eastern region after the revenge coup ,Banjo stayed in the government house with him while the rest were accommodated elsewhere in Independent Layout,Enugu.
Banjo led the 3,000 strong Biafran brigade known as the "Liberation Army of Nigeria" and also called the "Midwest Expeditionary Force" in the planned invasion of Lagos.His forces reached Benin within 12 hours on August 9,1967.By this time,Nigerian forces had captured Biafran towns of Obudu, Garkem,Ogoja, Nsukka heading to Enugu and Bonny, heading to Port Harcourt.
Banjo's arguments with Ojukwu resulted in fatal tactical delays in Benin and Ore enroute Lagos for several days.He was recalled back to Enugu alongside his deputy and Quartermaster;Major Ifeajuna,court-martialed and executed with 3 others in September 1967.
Lt Col Banjo was the highest ranking Yoruba in the Biafran army.

2.Major Wale Ademoyega

One of the five majors that toppled the government of Balewa on January 15,1966,he was released from Warri prison during the Midwest invasion in August 1967 by a battalion led by Major Chukwuka; another of the five Jan 15 majors.He first commanded the Biafra newly reorganised 19th Battalion but replaced Ifeajuna as the "Liberation Army" Quartermaster General when he(Ifeajuna) was recalled back to Enugu with his commander;Col Banjo.
Ademoyega wrote a book on the Jan 15 coup titled Why We Struck.He was arrested by federal soldiers after the war,faced the military commission and was detained until October 1974.

3.Capt Ganiyu Adeleke.

He was one of the Jan 15 officers released by Ojukwu.He cordinated the Biafra 18 Battalion at Onitsha as Infantry Company commander with Major Chukwuka in readiness for the Midwest invasion.He distinguished himself in the charge toward Ore and later become an instructor at the Biafra School of Infantry.
When other Biafran soldiers who took part in the Midwest invasion were released from prison in 1974 after Gowon granted them pardon, Capt Adeleke,Lt Col Ochei and "Col Hannibal"Achuzia were exempted from pardon and remained imprisoned.

4.Lt Fola Oyewole

He also joined in setting up the Biafra 18th Battalion at Onitsha and commanded the D Company that liberated Ughelli,parts of Sapele and Warri during the Midwest expedition.
Lt Oyewole is one of the first soldier to write a very instructive book on the civil war titled the Reluctant Rebel.It is a credible account of the civil war from the eyes of an active Biafran army commander who is not from the East.
Oyewole is also one of the Biafran soldiers detained by the federal government after the war and released in 1974.

Note:

Other notable Yoruba who opposed the federal government on the Biafra war include but not limited to:
1.Wole Soyinka
2.Tai Solarin
3.Prof Hezekiah Oluwasanmi;former Vice Chancellor of OAU Ife (1966-1975)

The pictures below are arranged in line with the arrangement of the article with only Capt. Adeleke missing in the pictures

Compiled by: Mbe Nwaniga, foremost writer and Historian.

http://igbobia.com/?q=meet-the-four-4-biafra-war-heroes-who-are-yoruba.html

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Youngadvocate(m): 7:50pm On May 22, 2017
Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by OkoNDOoBo: 7:59pm On May 22, 2017
following
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Incredible120(m): 8:02pm On May 22, 2017
Ok................................. Noted
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 8:08pm On May 22, 2017
If only they knew how ungrateful the people they are helping are.

63 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by peckhamboi: 8:09pm On May 22, 2017
Let us learn from history!

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by EmeeNaka: 8:12pm On May 22, 2017
Victor Banjo was not a Biafran hero. He was a traitor

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by shukuokukobambi: 8:14pm On May 22, 2017
peckhamboi:
Kindness is just inbuilt inside the Yoruba DNA.

Yorubas are also the heroes their useless IPOB, if not for Fayose and FFK, the albino would still be rotting in prison.

Yet with all these kindness, they still repay us back with hatred.

cheesy cheesy

Don't worry about oshokomole and FFK too much. They've already elevated those heroes of their struggle to god status even as we speak. Fayose and FFK are on the same level as Amadioha and Shuku okuko alaroka. They're already looking for a befitting place to erect shrines in their honour cheesy

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by shukuokukobambi: 8:15pm On May 22, 2017
EmeeNaka:
Victor Banjo was not a Biafran hero. He was a traitor

What of azikiwe? Was he a biafran traitor too? Or a hero? angry

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by raumdeuter: 8:18pm On May 22, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Nzeogwu

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by shukuokukobambi: 8:21pm On May 22, 2017
raumdeuter:

Nzeogwu

My padi, i wanted the child of bitterness to tell me whether azikiwe was fighting for biafra while eating amala and ewedu in Lagos during the war grin

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by EmeeNaka: 8:26pm On May 22, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Azikiwe was a Nigeria and African hero

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by BuariCopyPaste: 8:27pm On May 22, 2017
Awolowo's treacherous action rubbished other Yoruba's good deeds towards biafra.

My only joy is that he was duly served.

19 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by shukuokukobambi: 8:28pm On May 22, 2017
EmeeNaka:
Azikiwe was a Nigeria and African hero

Are you a Nigerian? What concerns you with Nigeria? Are you no longer a Jew?

We are talking of biafran heroes here. Was azikiwe a hero? Or will you call him an efulefu? angry

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by omenkaLives(m): 8:38pm On May 22, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

We are talking of biafran heroes here. Was azikiwe a hero? Or will you call him an efulefu? angry
Whenever Shukuokukobambi is in the building, wandering sons of bambiala be like.. cheesy

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Chanchit: 8:42pm On May 22, 2017
sigh
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by LUGBE: 8:42pm On May 22, 2017
peckhamboi:
Kindness is just inbuilt inside the Yoruba DNA.

Yorubas are also the heroes of their useless IPOB struggle, if not for Fayose and FFK, the albino would still be rotting in prison.

There was no Ibo leaders to be found then, it was only after the Yorubas freed him that they crawled out of their wood work and started visiting him at home.

Yet with all these kindness, they still repay us back with

hatred.

You and your type are always known for eye service, responsible men works underground.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by LionNdiLio: 8:44pm On May 22, 2017
[s]
omenkaLives:
Whenever Shukuokukobambi is in the building, wandering sons of bambiala be like.. cheesy
[/s]
Nonsense trash
look who's talking about nairaland going to the dogs
my guy you and your likes brought nairaland down
with your omenka omenkalives progressive01 moniker that always breaks the law including rule 19 and goes free

well i blame seun and super mods like lalasticlala for these

useless trashy post by a supposed nairaland old man grin

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by shukuokukobambi: 8:45pm On May 22, 2017
omenkaLives:

My very person, dey haf use ban to finish me cheesy

In fact, I have repented. Na pet I go dey pet dem now cheesy

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by omenkaLives(m): 8:51pm On May 22, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

My very person, dey haf use ban to finish me cheesy

In fact, I have repented. Na pet I go dey pet dem now cheesy
This your definition of petting ehn, I'd rather be brutalised. grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Oildichotomy(m): 8:53pm On May 22, 2017
I suppose they were duly remunerated for their contributions.

Unfortunately,Fate had it that they were fighting on the opposing side that their brothers were ready to annihilate to prove their loyalty to the then Nigerian powers that be.
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Justuceleague2: 8:54pm On May 22, 2017
You mean mercenaries and double agents?

Yoruba no be fool
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by LionNdiLio: 8:56pm On May 22, 2017
[s]
omenkaLives:
This your definition of petting ehn, I'd rather be brutalised. grin grin
[/s]
Shatap there and get out!
always talking trash

10 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by LionNdiLio: 8:57pm On May 22, 2017
BuariCopyPaste:
Awolowo's treacherous action rubbished other Yoruba's good deeds towards biafra.

hahahahahahaha
see finishing cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by EmeeNaka: 9:05pm On May 22, 2017
shukuokukobambi:

Azikiwe is a Nigeria and African hero

1 Like

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by igwebuike01: 9:10pm On May 22, 2017
Biafra is an ideology towards emancipation of the black race, it is not an igbo thing as the propagandist postulate and any afonja expecting gratitude from igbos for their brothers identifying with a noble cause does not understand the roots of the Biafra struggle

10 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by dreamwords: 9:14pm On May 22, 2017
ok
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Oblang(m): 9:16pm On May 22, 2017
BuariCopyPaste:

So u expect those u are fighting to be feeding u?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Alariwo2: 9:17pm On May 22, 2017
They were simply fools..

how many igbos can do same for Yorubas? None!
They should carry their cross and leave Yorubas out of it

19 Likes

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by PFRB: 9:18pm On May 22, 2017
Biafra was created by Awolowo
Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by Funlord2(m): 9:29pm On May 22, 2017
BuariCopyPaste:

Why are all you these strange online made in aba jews such bloody liars? I am always seeing all these crap statements you and your fellow tribalists love making about how awolowo died from rat poisoning but you all know it is not true! Even if you guys want to diss your yoruba enemies can't you do it with facts?

This was how I caught one of you creating a thread and using a fake picture of a chess player that is still alive yesterday to claim that was the photo of the jewish student who committed suicide during the war! So it seems as this may 30th approaches your ipob lies grow bigger?

Na wa for una! Receive sense abeg!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obafemi_Awolowo

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet The Four (4) Biafra War Heroes Who Are Yoruba by MrAlfa: 9:32pm On May 22, 2017
These cowards and sabos were the reason we lost the war.

We have learnt. Never again!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Christian Public Holidays Design To Christianize Nigeria / 2023: INEC To Review Card Readers, Introduce New Technologies / Ondo Govt Fixes Akeredolu's Burial For February 23rd & 24th - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.