Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. (3962 Views)

How To Identify A Middle Class Nigerian : Elnathan John / House Helps And The Nigerian Middle Class / Class Wars: Middle Class Matters—but Not For The Reasons You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by cococandy(f): 1:11am On May 30, 2017
blank:

The bad part is that the skilled and educated ones are leaving and being replaced by almajiris. I can imagine what the workforce will look like in a couple of years.
Sigh.
Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by EfemenaXY: 1:23am On May 30, 2017
Pidgin2:

You are wrong. Americans are Patriots, things were not perfect but they made it how they want it to be.

A leader is the product of a society or are our leaders not products of families and our society? When I said our attitude is one of the problems we face here, I know what I'm saying

Same people migrating will go there and obey their laws but do they obey ours here? No.

Their brains have already been drained as most don't think of humanity but materialism

Let them go, they are creating opportunities for others here. For example, when investors come in, it is people who remain who will easily get the jobs available, when government jobs are available it is people who remain that will get it. I'm only trying to make you see why this is beneficial to the few that will remain

Land will become cheaper, house rent too and other things. We can't force people to use their knowledge after all foreign missionaries who established schools, hospitals and Co here left all they had in their comfortable countries, came down here where we had so little to offer them and they made sacrifices whereas now that we have been empowered, they will study in our relatively cheap schools then migrate

The bolded bits of your statement caught my attention.

The missionaries DIDN'T come down to west Africa out of the goodness of their heart. That was a coverup. The real intention was to promote colonialism which was used to practice merchantilism.

See, we all know how the Europeans and Americans benefited massively from the slave trade. Most of the wealth of the financial institutions for example (banking and insurance) were gleaned from the proceeds of slavery. Most of their scientific breakthroughs were funded off the proceeds from slavery.

With industrialisation, there was no need for slavery. Then and only then did they advocate the "abolishment" of the slave trade. But they still needed wealth. Where else could they get it if not from Africa again?

So they came back under the guise of civilisation and turning us "savages" to civil people by attempting to eliminate and destroy our culture. Culture which defines the very essence of who we are as a people, our identity. Don't even get me started on that.

Anyway with colonialism forcefully impacted on us while the British, French, and Dutch tore up Africa with their divide-and-conquer tactics, carting away our natural resources - gold, diamonds (Ghana, Congo, South Africa), cocoa, palm oil, rubber, etc - nothing was given back in return. A few shoddy school and hospitals here and there don't cut it.

Massive exports from common wealth countries, little or no imports in. A one sided trade geared at increasing their wealth whilst imposing policies and rules on us from engaging in beneficial trades (Merchantilism).

Post colonialism after gaining "independence" the next trick up their sleeves was to pretend they'll help us build our infrastructure whilst pushing huge loans with exhorbitant interest rates via the IMF and world bank on us, thereby keeping us forever indebted to them.

Latest trick from them is to promote political instability in wealthy African countries e.g Congo as it benefits them immensely.

These address the bolded part of your post. Now regarding the mass exodus of Nigerian professionals / brain power - that should be a very real concern. Knowledge is power and without knowledge, what are we aside being a nation of jokers?

Couple that with the very stupid African leaders who steak, loot and stash away the county's money in foreign bank accounts. Money that could be used to ensure the country has basic infrastructure in place (good roads, schools, hospitals, constant power supply, etc).

And that's the reason why people who can't deal with it emigrate to greener pastures where basic human needs aren't seen as a luxury.

4 Likes

Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by EfemenaXY: 1:40am On May 30, 2017
Pidgin2:

You don't know that America was once undeveloped? You seem like a novice as it appears you keep arguing out of point

I mentioned America because Americans developed that nation, it wasn't done by angels but by the collective efforts of the citizens meaning development can be replicated in any other country by the same procedure

I don't feel I'm lecturing you, I know I am because you don't know much dear, take care.

Oh Gawd, lady!

What was the level of America's development pre slavery??

The Benin and Oyo kingdoms for example were far ahead! The only difference was they had bigger ships!

1 Like

Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by cococandy(f): 2:14am On May 30, 2017
Preach
EfemenaXY:

The bolded bits of your statement caught my attention.

The missionaries DIDN'T come down to west Africa out of the goodness of their heart. That was a coverup. The real intention was to promote colonialism which was used to practice merchantilism.

See, we all know how the Europeans and Americans benefited massively from the slave trade. Most of the wealth of the financial institutions for example (banking and insurance) were gleaned from the proceeds of slavery. Most of their scientific breakthroughs were funded off the proceeds from slavery.

With industrialisation, there was no need for slavery. Then and only then did they advocate the "abolishment" of the slave trade. But they still needed wealth. Where else could they get it if not from Africa again?

So they came back under the guise of civilisation and turning us "savages" to civil people by attempting to eliminate and destroy our culture. Culture which defines the very essence of who we are as a people, our identity. Don't even get me started on that.

Anyway with colonialism forcefully impacted on us while the British, French, and Dutch tore up Africa with their divide-and-conquer tactics, carting away our natural resources - gold, diamonds (Ghana, Congo, South Africa), cocoa, palm oil, rubber, etc - nothing was given back in return. A few shoddy school and hospitals here and there don't cut it.

Massive exports from common wealth countries, little or no imports in. A one sided trade geared at increasing their wealth whilst imposing policies and rules on us from engaging in beneficial trades (Merchantilism).

Post colonialism after gaining "independence" the next trick up their sleeves was to pretend they'll help us build our infrastructure whilst pushing huge loans with exhorbitant interest rates via the IMF and world bank on us, thereby keeping us forever indebted to them.

Latest trick from them is to promote political instability in wealthy African countries e.g Congo as it benefits them immensely.

These address the bolded part of your post. Now regarding the mass exodus of Nigerian professionals / brain power - that should be a very real concern. Knowledge is power and without knowledge, what are we aside being a nation of jokers?

Couple that with the very stupid African leaders who steak, loot and stash away the county's money in foreign bank accounts. Money that could be used to ensure the country has basic infrastructure in place (good roads, schools, hospitals, constant power supply, etc).

And that's the reason why people who can't deal with it emigrate to greener pastures where basic human needs aren't seen as a luxury.

1 Like

Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by Acidosis(m): 6:39am On May 30, 2017
MiddleDimension:

don't mind the so-called brains that are said to be drained. Just because you have a masters, PhD and other professional certificates does not mean you are a 'brain'. A 'brain' that came out of the university and had to look for job? The 'brains' that have worked in our institutions for long, and still didn't change much? The 'brains' that could not stay back to revive the organizations in which they work, but thought about running away when their organizations begin experiencing challenges, are not brains in my opinion!

To put my point more clearly; real brain drain is not a footballer playing in our local league and running away to beg clubs in cyprus for a trial. Real brain drain is a foreign club coming down to offer you a contract and willing to pay your buy-out clause because they have been tracking your style of football and are impressed by you.

So, i don't think we should be bothered about those so called brains that have to go and write an exam in Oregun so that they would go and join the emplyment queue abroad to get a better deal.

If it was a true brain drain, those foreign companies would come and offer them jobs, while they are still working in their respective organizations and contributing inmensely. In this case, the companies will be the ones to go to embassy here in Nigeria to help secure their visa and work permit even before these true brains take off from Nigeria.

Your explanation of brain drain is 100% accurate.

2 Likes

Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by Gerrard59(m): 3:42pm On May 30, 2017
MiddleDimension:

and you who've studied abroad in those 'better universities', what have you invented, if it is about where you are. And as far as i am concerned, Nigerian Universities are better today than British universities in Victorian era, yet that produced Darwin and going further into the past, the likes of Newton, Maxwell et al.

Well, honestly, he is correct. How many parents of today send their kids to the school they finished from? Every parent today aspires to send his/her child(ren) to private schools as they believe (their prerogative) that the education the child(ren) will receive will be of higher quality compared to public schools. And you or no one can blame them as the government has abandoned her responsibilities concerning good governance.

Same will happen to universities as they (parents) will send their kids to private universities and knowing full well that universities are not created/formed as primary/secondary schools, ie., there are regulations involved. The likes of Covenant and Babcock Universities will become the Harvard and Stanford of the future. The competition will be fierce.

Who is to be blamed? Successive Nigerian governments.
Re: The Exodus Of The Nigerian Middle Class Has Started. by Viking007(m): 3:55pm On May 30, 2017
ednut1:
dey console ur self u hear. In 25 years time most public uni wud hav become shit holes. Only private unis will be top notch u hear. Studied in d uk nd Nigeria. Nd i can tell u. What we hv here is not education. Just cram and pour. No wonder we never invent any thing. Even ur president goes to uk for medical care while poor citizens like us can go to general hospital and die like fowl
Don't mind that dude. Give him an American or even South African visa, next thing You see him in a church for thanksgiving.

Their 'patriotism' starts & end online.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Good Morning Fam. Another Successful Morning Of My JOURNEY pics / Free 1000naira for grabs. Open the thread and follow instructions / A Must Read For The Married Couples And Those Who Will Marry Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.