Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,027 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 PM

How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers (25994 Views)

COVID-19: Emirates Steps Up Safety Measures For Customers And Employees(Pics) / Chocotravel Uses Nude Flight Attendants In Ad Campaign (Video) / Abuja Nightclubs Where Strippers, Prostitutes Go Berserk For Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 9:50am On May 26, 2017
ugsams:

I also noticed that most hotels are more expensive than it's been listed on the third party booking sites. Some hotels will never agree that their cheap rooms are available they always want you to pay for the more expensive ones.

This is very true same thing happened to me in ghana recently .
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by highchief1: 9:54am On May 26, 2017
mascot87:
I will be very brief and I am sure we all can learn one or two things from this. I hope also that I construct this well.

I do travel out of my location here in Lagos very well to other part of the country and it's normal that I get an hotel to lodge.
On arrival to an affordable hotel, I pay for the hotel room and check in. Take my bath and relax a bit then I check the hotel menu list for breakfast, lunch or dinner as the case may be.

I do observe something for the past two years but didn't really take it serious not until when I travelled to Aba and Port Harcourt around March this year and same thing repeats itself.

After checking the menu list and the price of the food u want to eat. You call the restaurant and place your order but as soon as your order was delivered, the price is always more than what is on the menu list. Sometimes it could be has high as a thousand Naira.

I do pay all the time and didn't read any meaning to it but when I was at Aba around March, I protested when the same thing repeats itself and I said to myself that if such repeat itself anytime I travel and lodge in any hotel, I will only pay the charge as indicated on the menu list.
Fast forward to today, I travelled to Abuja and as usual lodged at an hotel in town.
Now this evening I ordered for my dinner at a fixed price on the menu list only for the price of my order to be far above what was written in the menu list. I told the lady that brought my dinner that I will only pay the cost of the dish in the menu list but she insisted that I will pay at #500 more than I was expected to pay giving me excuses that the price on the menu list was the old price.

I request to see the manager and within a second, she disappeared but I still went ahead to see the hotel manager but on my way, I met one of the hotel attendants who was listening to my argument with the lady and he told me that I shouldn't go to the manager cos there is nothing the manager can do and that they are working on the new price list but I ignored him. When I got to the hotel manager, i told him what happened and why customers cannot pay the exact cost of dish in the menu list but have to pay far more. He was suprised cos I saw the shock on his face. He sent for d lady that do serve dish for customer but not to expose her in my presence, he told me to go and I should pay the exact price on the menu list when she comes around to collect money.

When the lady later came around to collect the money, I saw the anger on her face which confirms my suspicion that those people generate income for themselves through such disgraceful means and it as become a common trend in some hotels (I don't want to generalize).

Don't know who else have noticed such but next time you lodge in an hotel and observe such, insist on paying the exact cost as seen on the menu price list.

I love honest people and sometimes give extra tips to them of some few cash even after rendering services to me but trying to play a fast one is a no no for me.

Let us be observant.

I think lalasticlala can also read this and add to his knowledge of snake grin grin grin

shes not smart a smart woman will serve u politely and u will leave the change for her
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by mrjojo: 9:55am On May 26, 2017
And they never have change no matter the amount .

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Viking007(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

So of all the places u claimed to visit its only Igbo land you could us as Scape goat? Hmmmm Afonjaa!!

cheesy cheesy
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by mctowel01: 9:56am On May 26, 2017
Talk2Bella:
Trust me the manager knows

its a very common practice where they charge you for room service by adding a few hundred naira, but uncle u sef u suppose know say na tip na hehehehe
Why encourage corruption?. You can't point fingers at the leaders when you are also guilty of the same thing. Nothing will change if everybody thinks like this in their little spheres of operation.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 9:56am On May 26, 2017
There's this street I over-enjoyed while I was in Lagos con was the street is only alive in the night.

The hotel I stayed; one 1-Star hotel like that for Allen Avenue wan carry person father shine nah so I call my cab guy make e show say waka dey, food wen I see for where him carry me go made me love Lagos.

Only I've forgotten the name of the street...
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by mctowel01: 9:58am On May 26, 2017
AfonjaBoston:
You are just a stingy alaroro Yeeboh boy
You are an idiot and a disgrace

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by sshalom(m): 9:59am On May 26, 2017
Under normal circumstances, you should never pay more than what is on the menu card!

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by ibabz(m): 10:01am On May 26, 2017
Not necessarily means fraud, I do lounge in hotels too. Most of them charge room service. However, if you do not want to pay extra charges for room services, you can just walk down to the restaurant or bar and place your order. No be everything be fraud nau. Anyway I blame Buhari for this
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by mctowel01: 10:01am On May 26, 2017
bangalee1:
So N500 is the cause of all this longstory.
The waiters are paid N18k-20K monthly in nigeria its not easy to live on that.
Am not encouraging stealing but the corruption happening in Aso rock is definitely greater than this.
Keep quiet there. Stealing is a vice. It doeant matter where it happens. Those corrupt waiters/waitress may even be worse than your politicians. The only thing is that they don't have the opportunity yet. They will always find a way to justify it at every level.

5 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by DanseMacabre(m): 10:02am On May 26, 2017
OP, you are very correct. I experienced the same thing when I visited Aba earlier this month. It's also instructive to note that you could bargain for a room and depending on your bargaining skills, pay anything from ten to even thirty percent less than the price.

However, this inflation of prices to cheat unaware or unsuspecting customers is not restricted to hotel attendants alone. Nigerians everywhere, be it filling stations, supermarkets, provision shops, airports, even extending to artisans in every sphere of endeavour will attempt to cheat you to make extra profit.

The worst aspect is that if you've been fleeced of your hard earned money, any attempt to blow the whistle will only result in you being blamed for not being smart or sharp.

It's disheartening to say the least.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:02am On May 26, 2017
Factfinder1:
most hotels don't pay and feed their staff well so what do you expect Most people are just criminal minded

We must never justify corruption in any form. Ordinary Benin Rep an average person is honest, even to a stranger. There's no excuse, whatsoever, for our corrupt way of life.
Even to buy anything out there, sellers will add extra and then you start BARGAINING out of distrust.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by CaptainFM1: 10:03am On May 26, 2017
There's wall-to-wall corruption in Nigeria.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by indomitable234: 10:05am On May 26, 2017
Something happened to me at anambra when I protested i was told the price list hasn't been updated
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:06am On May 26, 2017
ugsams:

I also noticed that most hotels are more expensive than it's been listed on the third party booking sites. Some hotels will never agree that their cheap rooms are available they always want you to pay for the more expensive ones.
My guy everything na experience. The more you look the less you see.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Kris907(m): 10:11am On May 26, 2017
Well that can only happens where the hotel did not have standard and am so sure you lodge in one of those hotel that don't have start at all. Check-in into Marriot hotel or Eko Hotel, you would pay room services charge more for any items brought to your room even from the laundry.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Reference(m): 10:15am On May 26, 2017
I travel throught the country and stay in a lot of hotels. Listen.
Except I arrive very late and cannot go out again, I donot ever, ever dine in a hotel.
Most hotels in Nigeria treat their restaurants as appendages of the hotel, not centres of excellence. The lower the class the worse the situation. This has led to a spiralling effect of low patronage which hikes cost and lowers quality. In those days when learning I have been fortunate to go down with food poisoning a couple of times and at the point at which I stopped I visibly saw really bad food.

When it comes to services in Nigeria particularly F& B you are safer patronizing outlets with high volume patronage. The quality is more than likely to be right. Avoid room service. Walk into the restaurant number the patrons at that instance and take a decision. Personally I inform at the desk that I will be buying my meals from outside and if they donot oblige they won't get my business. I value my health and on my travels I cannot afford to fall sick when far from medical help.

Price is the least of my hotel problems, price gouging takes place on all services from car wash to laundry. Even you cannot be certain what happens to your room after you leave for work in the morning.

3 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by skylane: 10:15am On May 26, 2017
ediku208:

The same happen to me when i was on a trip to owerri...after ordering for a meal from the list...

I was ask to pay for SERVICE CHARGE.....for preparation of the meal.
I neva heard of that the one I knw is room service charge for serving u in the room,while there's a hotel restaurant,I use that one do tp tire
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:16am On May 26, 2017
Not only hotels, even bars and restaurants. I could remember one day I went out with my guys to a beer palour, after eating and drinking, a bottle of beer that was sold for N300, the lady that served us calculated N400 in our bill. As a sharp Economicist that I am, I noticed the over-charge immediately and we question her like mad... She apologized and we pay and left... Ndi Igbo sii, Na-ejiroo akpata atufuo eme ogalanya!

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Nobody: 10:17am On May 26, 2017
same with fuel attendants, supernarket sales clerk
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by seangy4konji: 10:18am On May 26, 2017
Is Abuja Igbo landyou better look left and right before you cross the road today

You seem not to be aware of your environment. N
KingOvoramwen1:

So of all the places u claimed to visit its only Igbo land you could us as Scape goat? Hmmmm Afonjaa!!

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by linearity: 10:20am On May 26, 2017
Hope you didn't order food again from that Hotel's Resturant for the remainder of you stay sha?

Because, your next and subsequent orders must have been served with great anger and vexation accompanying with the adding some stuff to your food or putting hands into your soup or spitting in your food...fear those people.

Tip for live: don't annoye he or she that prepares or serves your meal. Alternatively, if you annoyed them, make sure you also sack them.

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by gaventa: 10:21am On May 26, 2017
You shoulf request for your printed Bill thats if you Patronized a standard Hotel, Moreso, Meals served in Rooms attract a Room service charge and might not be included individually in the Room Menu List. But you too should make it a point of duty to give tips to hotel staff
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by seangy4konji: 10:23am On May 26, 2017
It is that change issue that annoys me most. Some will even tell you should they use your change to bring malt for you or beer??wetin concern you with what I no ask for?na my change I wNt.
mrjojo:
And they never have change no matter the amount .

1 Like

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Reference(m): 10:23am On May 26, 2017
mascot87:

God bless you. Can u imagine paying almost N1.5k for two to three slice of bread,lipton,peak milk sachet and two cubes of sugar? Even at that, the waiters/waiteress will still shortchange you. Those guys no fear God Lol

Patronage is low so prices will be high. Restaurants are not profit making cost centres in most hotels. For me these price pressures translate to quality issues. It is that, that gets me worried.

2 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by wellmax(m): 10:28am On May 26, 2017
I hope we will find Nigerians in heaven.
Fantastically corrupt.
Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by Reference(m): 10:30am On May 26, 2017
Kris907:
Well that can only happens where the hotel did not have standard and am so sure you lodge in one of those hotel that don't have start at all. Check-in into Marriot hotel or Eko Hotel, you would pay room services charge more for any items brought to your room even from the laundry.

We are talking about frequent travellers to varied destinations in Nigeria. Marriot does not represent the typical Nigerian hoteling experience.

2 Likes

Re: How Hotel Attendants Scam Customers by bangalee1(m): 10:31am On May 26, 2017
mctowel01:

Keep quiet there. Stealing is a vice. It doeant matter where it happens. Those corrupt waiters/waitress may even be worse than your politicians. The only thing is that they don't have the opportunity yet. They will always find a way to justify it at every level.
Stupid nigerians everywhere, you don't see people stealing 500billion , its 500naira that u want to start ranting on. Idiots.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Visit To Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum In Ghana Pics & Video / Pregnant Woman, Two Others Die In Lagos-Ibadan Road Crash / Senate Inspects Lagos-ibadan Railway Site (video And Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.