Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! (4526 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by lekan2311(m): 3:29pm On Dec 12, 2005
Churches now turn to BUSINESS CENTER

Mhhh, churches nowadays are nothing but business centers.  Imagine a Pastor driving X5 while 97.7% of his church members can not even afford 3 square meals a day and hey say they are godly? 

Well, they are good for 1 thing which we should consider them doing.  They make people believe "God will do i"t so we are still having the hope (everyone hoping to be a millionaire) which isn't possible because Nigeria of today is for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer (nothing to do about that).

I believe pastors are doing a good Job for making people believe in that hope.  Imagine a church having Bullion Van (thats they makes Hell of Money after each service) what for.  I really want to know what the word tite/offering means, is it really for GOD or the Pastors with his colligues. I wonder what its all about.

People still never want to know what exactly the churches are: truly decietful.  I got to know no Pastor is even talking about end of days or coming of the Lord Jesus.  They all buy plots/acres of land for proposed sites for their new church (business center) buildings.

Is the world really coming to an end ? Hell No!  We all die one after the other and the more people die the more the new ones are born so count that out.

Is the Hell like the below Image?  I wonder how painfully it going to hurt!  www.shalach.org/Hell/Hell.htm

Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Hndholder(m): 9:54am On Feb 26, 2006
Some Churches nowadays are nothing but a business Center. The bitter truth but then relate this to the owns burnt down in maiduguri last weak and the risk? lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Free(f): 3:53pm On Feb 26, 2006
Some Churches nowadays are nothing but a business Center

i agree with that
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Akolawole(m): 7:44pm On Feb 26, 2006
Not all of them though.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Ynot(m): 7:57pm On Feb 26, 2006
Owning a church has and will continue to be a lucrative business. All you need is the power to convince people; feed em with crap and preach specific section of the bible that suits you and you are cooking. Methink the solution is,  to force em to start paying taxes to the government just like everyone else; huge taxes on their offerings/properties and, trust me you will see a whole bunch of em close down.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by 4getme1(m): 8:59pm On Feb 26, 2006
Ynot:

Methink the solution is, to force em to start paying taxes to the government just like everyone else; huge taxes on their offerings/properties and, trust me you will see a whole bunch of em close down.

That will not solve anything, because more churches will open inspite of the taxes. If you want churches to close down, we'll understand that, regardless of how you feel about anyone of them. But let me ask, how would you feel if you were a pastor and people start clamouring that your own enterprise (which hitherto had been enjoying tax exemptions) should start paying taxes - I guess the tune will change and you'll sing a different song. It's easy to give advice and recommendations about someone else as long as the splinter is not in our own foot.

I'm not a pastor, but in all fairness I think people will learn sooner than later that the focus should be on God Himself than on any MOG (man of God)or his enterprise. Has anyone stopped to ask why these new generation pastors (not everyone of them, though) succeed in milking people who willingly give with no questions asked? The answers may be many, but I'd rather say that the people themselves are partly to be blamed. It's easy to be conned if my focus is on money; but if I'd rather set my gaze on knowing and pleasing God, it would be difficult for anyone to lead me by the nose into something other than Him. It's almost like a case of choosing between God and Mammon.

Nonetheless, not every church dotting the landscape today is operating as a business. For those who are honouring God, I encourage you all the more to stay true to your calling - you know your work is not crap neither is it in vain. As for those who think the church is an enterprise for easy buck, may I challenge you to get right with the Lord and with a reminder that God is watching.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by kimba(m): 9:52pm On Feb 26, 2006
its the last days, read your Bible.

I was once in a taxi, with about 3 other passengers. we happened to pass by a church where ppl were praying. The driver now started a conversation, telling us what he heard "last sunday" when he went to the church. He said the pastor prayed for the people that in the next one year, all of them will each buy an airplane, and the people roared with an Amen. He said he, as a taxi driver felt that the pastor was lying since, according to him, if the whole congregation of about 300 people(men and women) each bought an airplane within the next one year, there would be confusion in the countries skies. He then said he felt in his spirit that more than the lying pastor, the people actually wanted to be deceived,

so its not the pastor that is only to blame. If there are no ears who love hearing gossip, there'll be no lips to tell the tale.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by nightrider: 10:43am On Feb 27, 2006
There are churches that are deceitful , theres no doubt about that but there are also true and faithful churches. Jesus Christ said that a time will come when many will come to deceive in his name and no doubt it's come true. But that doesn't mean God is not active in churches.

In the bible Jesus gave a parable about the devil planting evil tares where he had sowed good wheat and the angels came to him and asked if they should pluck all the evil ones out. Jesus said no, leave them because if you pluck them out now there are some growing wheat that would be damaged. At the end of the age the evil ones will be plucked out and burned.

The moral of the story is, God knows them that are his.

P/S
Tithes and offering are biblical , so don't despise them
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by tejuoso1(f): 12:53pm On Feb 27, 2006
you might be right about church turning this way but God have to bless the pastor through the members or do you think the pastors prayer, fasting and preaching for you is free? hell no, nothing is free nowadays
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by simmy(m): 1:12pm On Feb 27, 2006
grin grin grin
Nice one
teju oso:

you might be right about church turning this way but God have to bless the pastor through the members or do you think the pastors prayer, fasting and preaching for you is free? hell no, nothing is free nowadays
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Ynot(m): 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2006
teju oso:

Hence they are conducting business and should be made to pay tax. You've got to give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God.

nightrider:

P/S
Tithes and offering are biblical , so don't despise them

No one is disputing this and i'm in no means fighting for God on this issue. The question is: What are they doing with all those money? Are they helping the community? The members of the church? Have you seen the kind of rides these folks cruise in? Yet, most of the people that paid for it don't even have a bicycle. Yeah i know, most nigerians are gullible, somewhat lazy and expect manna from heaven but, is it that an excuse to exploit them from someone that calls her/himself a wo/man of God?
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Ralex(m): 11:18pm On Feb 27, 2006
Most pastors are in the buisness of saling hope !!! Actually, there is more market for hope than anyother commoditiy both tangible and intangible. and as he saying goes "Nothing is free" Religion is the Opium of the people and Opium is not free

My issue with the pastors is the type of interpretation they give the bible. And the thousands they suck dry. I once witnessed such preaching If not for the fact that accompanied some people there I would have asked the pastor to explian between the tithe and the peoples lives which they value the more?? Too much emphasis is laid on the tithe, infact, the pastor used the entire Sunday service to preach about giving to the church but not a second about the people's soul. He said so many things that made me want to stand up and question him.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by bebe6(f): 4:32am On Feb 28, 2006
There is nothing wrong with people prospering. It amazes me how much people question the prosperity of ministers, yet they never say a word about politicians, athletes, music artists, etc. Are ministers not allowed to be prosperous? Saving souls is far more rewarding than giving a speech, shooting a ball through a hoop, hitting a ball with a bat, writing/singing a song. C'mon, can we be fair here?

Many of the ministers have gone through the struggle and are not just focused on their own wealth, but they want to see others blessed as well. So, they give to the communities, they build due to expansion of membership, they give to the members of the church, they give to other ministries and the list goes on and on and on. Those who are doing the will of God are going to be blessed because of their obedience; however, for those in ministry that are playing with God will surely not prosper. Even if, to the carnal man, they look as if they are being blessed, they will not prosper anything from their deceitful ways of obtaining wealth.

As far as the tithe/offering, you are giving this for your own behalf. You are not to worry about what is being done with it because God will be in control of that if it is not used as it is suppose to be. All you do is what God has instructed you to do in his Word. We cannot focus on what others around us do. Trust me, if you are involved in a ministry that truly hears from God then you will see the fruits come forth in various areas in a massive way.

That's why we should study for ourselves so that we know the Word and not just take someone (ministers included) for their word. A true minister will tell you to study for yourself and he will also back up what he says by showing you in the Bible (teaching, not just preaching).

Don't just look at every mega church as a business center. There are many that are doing great things for people all across the world.

Now, you can tear, rip, chop up, and cut this post all you want, but the truth still remains most of the time it's just a matter of people searching their own hearts. Why are you so upset about one who prospers? Have you ever given a thought about what they went through before obtaining wealth? Why would you be hard-hearted towards a man of God who is blessed if he's doing the will of God? If you don't contribute to the ministry, why are you so upset? If the members are not complaining, why does it bother you? Why would you put your mouth on the ministry if you don't know for yourself what is really going on inside the walls?
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by effects8000(m): 1:01pm On Feb 28, 2006
I actually posted a topic about this issue last year and the old members of narialand
would remember the famous augment i had with layi about Nigerian churches this day.
The totally lambasted me when i suggested the EFFC should investigate this churched because they are
really ripping desperate Nigerians off all in the name of miracles.
If i am appointed as the anti corruption chief today i would go for the first!
When i was growing up i never had of a Pentecostal church but now they are every where compeating
for air time on our TV channels.
Something needs to be done for Nigeria to be totally corruption free and we Nigerian should WAKE UP!
Heaven helps those who help themselves you don't expect to stay home all day and not work and tommorrow
you would get a miracle that would transform your life. Its just pitiful I would like replies please
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by gospelman(m): 2:25pm On Feb 28, 2006
Hello all.
First thing I want you all to know is that if you are not born again and filled with the Holy Ghost you are not AUTHORIZED to speak on this matter because it is too high for you.(I am not saying this sarcastically,I am just telling you the plain truth.)

Secondly, if you think that Churches are business centers,what have you been waiting for?Don't you want to be a millionaire?Don't you want to drive big cars and own mansions? Or have you suddenly become averse to business?

Thirdly,you need to understand the God is a God of principles(laws).He set laws in motion to run the things He created.I f you think you are smart,jump off the balcony and you will surely land because there is a law in place to ensure you do land.You have got to be operating a higher law(the law of lift ) to overcome the law of gravity.In effect,there are biological laws,physical laws, spiritual laws etc.But I am going to be talking of the law that supercedes all other laws God has made:SPIRITUAL LAWS.

It is important to note that the spiritual gives/gave birth to the physical.Whatever you see in the third dimensional(physical) realm,had already been birthed in the spirit (fourth dimensional) realm and the sprite realm is more real than the physical.

So when it comes to financial and material prosperity,God has laws there too.Now you can choose whether or not to operate them.When you do you would prosper and vice versa.No two ways about it.It's up to you.So God has set
the Pastors in the churches to shepherd the flock and teach them His ways.There will always be the poor because there will always be people who won't receive the message.How sad!

If you do not give your tithes and offerings,you have actually signed in for poverty.If you do not give money according to the word of God,you will never prosper.And let me blow your minds:the prosperity of the the members of the church lies in the hands of their Pastor.So,if for instance you refuse to give because you think your pastor is going to 'eat' your money, you have actually disobeyed God's law of prosperity and you will never prosper.Period.

You will be the same person that would be criticizing the prosperity of those who operated the laws of prosperity.So you see your type will always be there.

The rich do not talk like this.It is always the poor that talk like this.Now don't get me wrong.You can have a lot of money and still be poor because poverty and wealth are spiritual states that translate to the physical.So if you are poor,no matter how much money you have you will get broke in the end.Givers don't lack.

Get wise and stop looking at the wrong thing!

Gospelman
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Ynot(m): 3:14pm On Feb 28, 2006
gospelman:

So when it comes to financial and material prosperity,God has laws there too.Now you can choose whether or not to operate them.When you do you would prosper and vice versa.No two ways about it.It's up to you.So God has set
the Pastors in the churches to shepherd the flock and teach them His ways.There will always be the poor because there will always be people who won't receive the message.How sad!

What percentage are we talking about here? 2% rich to 98% poor?

gospelman:

If you do not give your tithes and offerings,you have actually signed in for poverty.If you do not give money according to the word of God,you will never prosper.And let me blow your minds:the prosperity of the the members of the church lies in the hands of their Pastor.So,if for instance you refuse to give because you think your pastor is going to 'eat' your money, you have actually disobeyed God's law of prosperity and you will never prosper.Period.

Thats all bull. Don't preach the part of the bible that suits you. One more way to confuse people. Some people actually pay their tithe by giving that 10% to the needy, the disabled, the sick and those who can't work for a living for a good reasons. Not to a healthy man somewhere who think the money is better in his pocket. The Bible tells us the tithe is for the Levite Priests. When did God change the tithe law to include the Gospel Ministers? There is no longer an obligation to support the Levites and Priests as they are no longer working in the Temple.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by gospelman(m): 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2006
Ynot,The Lord Jesus said that the poor will always be around us.

Being poor is a choice! And being rich is also a choice.

Now you said some people give part of their tithe to the poor and disabled.Who told them that God did not know they were disabled people around when He said to bring the tithe into His storehouse?
It is the stingy people who argue about giving in church.
God says to help the poor and there are several ways to help the poor:give him info that will set him among the rich,give him money,etc.He did not say to give part of the tithe to the poor.You want to tell me you are wiser and more compassionate that God??

There is nothing you can do about the prosperity of any man of God,who actually operates the kingdom principles.Absolutely Nothing!

Any member of a church that remains poor after hearing the word of God,does so by choice.So you won't blame the pastor because he cannot actually bully the people to operate the laws he is operating.

The word of God is very practicable.Giving is a ministry and receiving is a ministry too.You get the benefit of the ministry of receiving only when you operate in the ministry of giving based on the word of God and by faith.

Like it or not,you have not seen anything yet!

The ministry I belong raises people to know who they are and put the word of God to work for their own benefit.And as we do,God increases our capacity to do more and more and there is no stopping us.We don't talk anyhow.We talk the word and do the word and that is why we are prospering more and more.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Enigma(m): 4:11pm On Mar 01, 2006
Gospelman

You are soooooooooooo wrong. God did say specifically in many places that you should indeed give part of the tithe to the poor, the orphan, widow and aliens/foreigners.

One example has been posted in other places on this forum. it just shows that we should study the Bible carefully and desist from making pronouncements that are not accurate.

One clue: the example that has been given before can be found in Deuteronomy 14:22-31. That could not be more clear cut on what to do with the tithe --- even more clear-cut than Malachi 3.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by gospelman(m): 1:39pm On Mar 02, 2006
Enigma,are you born again and filled with the Holy Ghost?
When did you start studying your bible(i don't mean reading or flipping through it)?
Who was the first person that tithed?
Do you know the subject of tithing very well?
Are you sure you have studies your bible along that line??

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by gospelman(m): 2:01pm On Mar 02, 2006
Since we are not here to oppose each other blindly;we are here to share ideas/thoughts/information.We are ready to learn from one another,I have done a search on this subject so that we can all get our bibles and study them through the help of the Author,the Holy Ghost.

Please,note that I am trying to say that I know all.But let God be true and every man a liar.In other words,whatever any man thinks that is contrary to God's word is a lie and should be seen and treated as such.

Thank you all and do have a great day.

SUBJECT: TITHING

Genesis 14:20
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
Genesis 14:19-21 (in Context) Genesis 14 (Whole Chapter)
Leviticus 27:30
And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD's: it is holy unto the LORD.
Leviticus 27:29-31 (in Context) Leviticus 27 (Whole Chapter)
Leviticus 27:31
And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
Leviticus 27:30-32 (in Context) Leviticus 27 (Whole Chapter)
Leviticus 27:32
And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
Leviticus 27:31-33 (in Context) Leviticus 27 (Whole Chapter)
Numbers 18:24
But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.
Numbers 18:23-25 (in Context) Numbers 18 (Whole Chapter)
Numbers 18:26
Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.
Numbers 18:25-27 (in Context) Numbers 18 (Whole Chapter)
Numbers 18:28
Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest.
Numbers 18:27-29 (in Context) Numbers 18 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 12:6
And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
Deuteronomy 12:5-7 (in Context) Deuteronomy 12 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 12:11
Then there shall be a place which the LORD your God shall choose to cause his name to dwell there; thither shall ye bring all that I command you; your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, your tithes, and the heave offering of your hand, and all your choice vows which ye vow unto the LORD:
Deuteronomy 12:10-12 (in Context) Deuteronomy 12 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 12:17
Thou mayest not eat within thy gates the tithe of thy corn, or of thy wine, or of thy oil, or the firstlings of thy herds or of thy flock, nor any of thy vows which thou vowest, nor thy freewill offerings, or heave offering of thine hand:
Deuteronomy 12:16-18 (in Context) Deuteronomy 12 (Whole Chapter
Deuteronomy 14:22
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
Deuteronomy 14:21-23 (in Context) Deuteronomy 14 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 14:23
And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
Deuteronomy 14:22-24 (in Context) Deuteronomy 14 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 14:28
At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
Deuteronomy 14:27-29 (in Context) Deuteronomy 14 (Whole Chapter)
Deuteronomy 26:12
When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;
Deuteronomy 26:11-13 (in Context) Deuteronomy 26 (Whole Chapter)
2 Chronicles 31:5
And as soon as the commandment came abroad, the children of Israel brought in abundance the firstfruits of corn, wine, and oil, and honey, and of all the increase of the field; and the tithe of all things brought they in abundantly.
2 Chronicles 31:4-6 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 31 (Whole Chapter)
2 Chronicles 31:6
And concerning the children of Israel and Judah, that dwelt in the cities of Judah, they also brought in the tithe of oxen and sheep, and the tithe of holy things which were consecrated unto the LORD their God, and laid them by heaps.
2 Chronicles 31:5-7 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 31 (Whole Chapter)
2 Chronicles 31:12
And brought in the offerings and the tithes and the dedicated things faithfully: over which Cononiah the Levite was ruler, and Shimei his brother was the next.
2 Chronicles 31:11-13 (in Context) 2 Chronicles 31 (Whole Chapter)
Nehemiah 10:37
And that we should bring the firstfruits of our dough, and our offerings, and the fruit of all manner of trees, of wine and of oil, unto the priests, to the chambers of the house of our God; and the tithes of our ground unto the Levites, that the same Levites might have the tithes in all the cities of our tillage.
Nehemiah 10:36-38 (in Context) Nehemiah 10 (Whole Chapter)
Nehemiah 10:38
And the priest the son of Aaron shall be with the Levites, when the Levites take tithes: and the Levites shall bring up the tithe of the tithes unto the house of our God, to the chambers, into the treasure house.
Nehemiah 10:37-39 (in Context) Nehemiah 10 (Whole Chapter)
Nehemiah 12:44
And at that time were some appointed over the chambers for the treasures, for the offerings, for the firstfruits, and for the tithes, to gather into them out of the fields of the cities the portions of the law for the priests and Levites: for Judah rejoiced for the priests and for the Levites that waited.
Nehemiah 12:43-45 (in Context) Nehemiah 12 (Whole Chapter)
Nehemiah 13:5
And he had prepared for him a great chamber, where aforetime they laid the meat offerings, the frankincense, and the vessels, and the tithes of the corn, the new wine, and the oil, which was commanded to be given to the Levites, and the singers, and the porters; and the offerings of the priests.
Nehemiah 13:4-6 (in Context) Nehemiah 13 (Whole Chapter)
Nehemiah 13:12
Then brought all Judah the tithe of the corn and the new wine and the oil unto the treasuries.
Nehemiah 13:11-13 (in Context) Nehemiah 13 (Whole Chapter)
Amos 4:4
Come to Bethel, and transgress; at Gilgal multiply transgression; and bring your sacrifices every morning, and your tithes after three years:
Amos 4:3-5 (in Context) Amos 4 (Whole Chapter)
Malachi 3:8
Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
Malachi 3:7-9 (in Context) Malachi 3 (Whole Chapter)
Malachi 3:10
Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Malachi 3:9-11 (in Context) Malachi 3 (Whole Chapter)
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by toshmann(m): 2:52pm On Mar 02, 2006
o'boy, see knowledge o. jehova jaire. hey. na wa o
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Enigma(m): 3:14pm On Mar 02, 2006
gospelman

First, do the simple exercise of reading Deuteronomy 14:22-31; if having read it you still deny that God said tithes should be given to the poor i.e. widows, orphans, strangers etc then let me know.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Ynot(m): 8:13pm On Mar 02, 2006
I try as much as possible to stay away from unecessary argument. You've indirectly referred to me as being stingy because i questioned the forceful nature church leaders us to collect money from members- with the notion that they will remain poor if they refuse to pay. Who is fooling who here. Its all good though. You can give all your money to your pastor if that makes you sleep well. From your postings on this topic, i assumed you are either one of them pastors or directly related to one.

I don't want to delve into tithing and its justification but since you've turn it that way, we might as well see the end of it. Funny you only made mention of passeges from the Old Covanent (Old Testement) in your "research". There were no mention of any reference to the New Covanent Law (New Testament), yet you call yourself a christian. Last time i checked, Christianity implies Christ-Like. I don't remember Christ preaching and forcing tithe on poor people (Mat 23:23 ). I guess you didn't read Colossians 2:14: "having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

Well, i did my own research and found the following: God does not accept money for tithe. Lev. 27:30-34.  Currency such as silver, gold, talents and shekels was not allowed to pay tithe. So if you pay tithe with money you are violating the tithe law. Tithe payers are to run every tenth animal under the rod and give that animal as tithe.

Why Abraham Paid A Tithe
Genesis 14: 16, 18-20 described a war between kings of Sodom, Gomorrah with two ally kings that were defeated and taken prisoner. The victors took the property of the Kings, took Lot, women and children captive. When Abraham heard about this he and his men went after them and defeated the kings. Abraham then brought back Lot and all the possessions as well as the women and other people.

Note: The reason Abraham gave a tenth was because of God's deliverance from his enemies. We would call this tenth, "a thank offering". Tithing was not part of Abraham's covenant. Abraham did not give tithe to Melchizedek from his personal possessions but from the spoils of war after rescuing Lot. Therefore we can see that Abraham was not following an unwritten tithe law when he gave tithe to the King of Salem. And besides, the Levitical tithe law did not include "spoils of war." Before the King of Salem incident and after, there is no record of Abraham, a very wealthy man ever paying tithe of his own personal possessions to God. Gen. 13:2:Abram had become very wealthy in livestock and in silver and gold.

Why Jacob Paid A Tenth
Gen. 28:20-22. Note that Jacob tithed not because of a tithe law. It was based on Jacob's terms with conditions, not God's terms. Jacob would give God a tenth on condition only "if" God would give him food, clothes and protect him on his journey and return him safely to his father's house he would pay tithe. Jacob was not obeying any mandatory tithe law by making his own conditions with God. The tithe law is to be paid with no conditions.

There are three different tithe laws in the Old Testament

1. The first tithe law was enacted by God at Sinai and given only to Israel as an Old Covenant law which ended at Calvary. God never included the tithe law in the New Covenant.
Read the following again.
Num. 18:21, 23-24. The entire tithe was to be given only to the Levites as an inheritance. Do you see the gospel minister listed as receiving tithe?
Num. 18:25 through Num. 18:26. The ministering Levite (priests) is to receive one tenth of the tithe they receive from the Levites that do not minister in the Sanctuary.
Neh 10:38 - Neh 10:39. The tithe law never included Gospel Ministers. Are Gospel Ministers Levite priests that minister in the Sanctuary under the Old Covenant? It is amazing how Church Leaders can twist the Scripture and quote the Bible out of context to line their pockets and scam their members.

2. The second tithe law is an annual tithe law.
Read Deut. 14:22-29. The annual tithe is to be eaten by the Jews. The annual tithe can be converted to silver if you have a large herd and the town was far away to take the animals. If this is the case you can exchange the animals for silver, and then buy wine or other fermented drinks that can be eaten by you, your household, and the Levites at a place determined by the LORD. Has your church ever allow you to use your tithe to have a party and drink fermented drink? You might bring this to your Pastor's attention, that you would like to party with your tithe as commanded in the Bible! And don't forget the Levites living in your town. Your Pastors are not invited, as they are not Levites or Jews. Of course you are not invited either because this is just for Israel not New Testament Christians.

3. The third law as Enigma indicated involves the third year tithe to be eaten by the Levites, fatherless, aliens, and widows.
Read Deut. 14:28, 29. Why does your church not follow the Third Year Tithe law and hold a feast for these people from the produce brought in and stored in the towns. Your pastor will not even feed the fatherless and widows from your tithe, but pocket the money.

On a final note, Christians receive blessings from God for having Christ as their Savior and not by any works of the Old Covenant Laws.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Seun(m): 8:22pm On Mar 02, 2006
Jump to To Tithe or Not to Tithe? to continue that discussion. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2006
The only good thing I find on this thread is the fact that y'all have not gone mentioning church names.
Great stuff, I respect that and respect y'all in this thread for doing just that!
Cheers!
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Consultant(f): 2:50pm On Apr 08, 2006
My personal take on Pastors' living standards is this:

Some of them are talented in one way or the other - maybe they write books or run their own businesses - or it could also be that they receive gifts from people, in that case any money they make is theirs and they can spend it anyhow they like.
However, if all they depend on for sustenance is a salary from the church then their standard of living should not be substantially higher than that of their congregation. The case in which a [url=http://www.religionnewsblog.com/12409/Pastor-to-repay-GBP200-000-after-buying-Florida-timeshare-on-church-Visa-cardchurch spent 200,000 pounds to celebrate a pastor's birthday]church spent 120,000 pounds to celebrate a pastor's birthday[/url] was totally uncalled for.

A standard to emulate is Pastor Rick Warren, author of "The Purpose Driven Life". Even though he has made millions from his book and can afford to live in the lap of luxury, he prefers to use his money for the good of mankind. He practices reverse-tithing, in other words, he spends 10% of his income and gives 90% to the church and other charitable organizations. I pray we see more pastors like him. I have attached a time magazine article about him to this post.

Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Free(f): 8:48pm On Apr 08, 2006
The case in which a church spent 120,000 pounds to celebrate a pastor's birthday was totally uncalled for.
shocked shocked shocked wow , what kind of a church will spent that much money on their pastors birthaday, geez, the church must be loaded grin [s]pastors shouldnt be celebrating their birthdays[/s]
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Whitelady1(f): 10:59am On Apr 09, 2006
I know there are false churches all around. But does this mean  we should shun going to church? Or stop paying tithes and giving offerings? My take on this is that every human being has a brain to think/ reason. The Bible says "wisdom profiteth to direct". I believe all Christians should be like the Beureans. When Paul preached to the Beaureans, they didnt just take Paul's word b'cos "a mighty man of God with great authority, with signs and wonders following his every step" had spoken. They searched the scriptures! I pay tithes, i give offerings, i help those in need (in my own little way), not b'cos it makes me holier or better than others, but b'cos i am convinced in my heart, and believe it is the right way to go. Thus, it has become my nature. I couldn't care less if the pastor, or church, or needy used it anyhow they deemed fit. It was freely given!
If all men were thinkers, and not mere reflectors of other men's thoughts, people wouldnt be deceived, compelled to give tithe/ offerings, conned by false teacher/pastors/prophets!
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by toshmann(m): 3:54pm On Apr 09, 2006
WORD, WHITE LADY, WORD.

TELL THEM, BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW

smiley
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by jagunlabi(m): 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2006
No big deal in christiandom.If you read the post-Jesus christian history very well,you will come across a very lucrative relic trade ran by the almighty church.Even bits and pieces of the wood of crucifixion were sold in those days unashamedly.business has always been part of christiandom.So let the tradition continue. grin
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Oracle(m): 5:47pm On Apr 09, 2006
most churches of these dayz have been turned to bizness that is no more news because we all know that. But then we go to church to serve God and not Man, those who use churches as biz centres should beware of God's JUDGEMENT because they won't escape it if they don't discontinue such an act
jagunlabi:

business has always been part of christiandom.So let the tradition continue. grin
The fact that it has always been doesn't mean it should continue. Men have always been sinners from ADAM and men still sin today but itz not as if we want it to continue.
men has also always been killers Cain killed his brother Abel but you won't want someone to kill you (Jagunlabi) or your brother would you?
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by jagunlabi(m): 6:02pm On Apr 09, 2006
Oracle:

but you won't want someone to kill you (Jagunlabi) or your brother would you?
Nope,but the biz part of christiandom will continue,even if we want it to stop.I do not support it,but it is a reality that we will have to accept,unsavoury as it might be.Aren't we all supporting it by financing it,anyway?So why the complaint?
BTW,who says that we have to go into a building to seek God?Jesus was a wandering preacher who never had any use for no buildings.Think about that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Christian Sister Pregnant Before The Wedding: Is It Right? / Testimony On The Celestial Church Of Christ / Please I Need Some Help In Some Religion/psychology Research (lolz)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.