Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,176 members, 7,849,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:28 AM

Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! (4542 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 12:38pm On Apr 11, 2006
The case in which a church spent 120,000 pounds to celebrate a pastor's birthday was totally uncalled for

Shocked Shocked Shocked wow , what kind of a church will spent that much money on their pastors birthaday, geez, the church must be loaded Grin [s]pastors shouldnt be celebrating their birthdays[/s]

Consultant,

I think I should ask you to think a little on those comments you made earlier. This is why, if you walked into a church, wretched and poor and the pastor was preaching prosperity and he looked almost as tartared as you, would you believe in what he preached? The bible says give honour to whom it is due, don't you think that church acted their wisdom? What you call a lot of money is not too much to treat God or His servants very well. It matters how you apply this wisdom "White Lady" mentions. Read Galatians 6:6-7, You should understand that Paul meant "whatever a man sows, he reaps" financially!
6Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Great words White Lady. Proverbs24:26-Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer.

Free, I hope you meant the line across the comment you made!?

Now here's a summary of what I'm trying to say: The gospel of Jesus can be defined as "Prosperity".(To the POOR)
A poor man whos wisdom wakes up will see hope for himself in such places if his intentions are pure. (Please get me right)
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Idekeson(m): 2:45pm On Apr 11, 2006
Whichever way the adherents will attempt to justify it, there appears to be something worldly and spiritually wrong when pastors are living in splendor and erecting mammoth edifice, while their followers wallow in poverty and hardship.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Consultant(f): 8:43pm On Apr 11, 2006
This is why, if you walked into a church, wretched and poor and the pastor was preaching prosperity and he looked almost as tartared as you, would you believe in what he preached?

I would be equally disinclined to listen to the Pastor's message if he was well-fed and affluent while his congregation was poor and wretched.

The bible says give honour to whom it is due, don't you think that church acted their wisdom? What you call a lot of money is not too much to treat God or His servants very well.

Come on Papa, let's be sincere here. In a country where the average fresh graduate earns between 20,000 and 25,000 pounds per annum, you don't think a 120,000 pounds birthday party is excessive? Any way you cut it, it's not a responsible way to spend God's money. In the UK where churches are considered a charity and are monitored by the government, the charity commission determined that this was an inappropriate way to spend church money and ordered the money to be refunded. You see - even a wordly institution holds itself to a higher standard than a church does. Tell me Papa, if a governor of a state in Nigeria, withdrew 120,000 pounds from the state account to celebrate his birthday, would you say, "no amount is too much to treat our governor well?" So are we holding our worldly leaders to a higher standard of morality than our Pastors - Men who should demonstrate God to the world?

You see Papa, i am not a church critic. I myself am born-again and spirit-filled, by the grace of God. I love and support my pastor and my church in faithfully giving my tithe and offerings. But i am gravely concerned about the way we do church in Nigeria and the gospel that we are preaching to unbelievers.

The Bible says in 2 Cor 9:7-9 "And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say, "Godly people give generously to the poor. Their good deeds will never be forgotten." (New Living Translation).

When God blesses his children, it is so that we can be a blessing to others. When Hurricane Katrina struck in the US last year, while the government was displaying ineptitude, the churches had sprung into action. Most charity work in the US is done by the church. In Nigeria, it is not the case. Our communities are not feeling our impact. How then do we preach the gospel to them and expect them to listen?

Let us be truthful to ourselves and as the Bible says, let us judge ourselves so that we will not be judged by others.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 12:10pm On Apr 13, 2006
I would be equally disinclined to listen to the Pastor's message if he was well-fed and affluent while his congregation was poor and wretched.
I also won't spend another day in such a church.

Look here Consultant, a church that could pour out of that lives to bless their man of God!? common! it's got to be their wisdom at work check this out (and let the spirit illuminate your heart about this)
9Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: 10So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
That's Proverbs 3:9-10 You've got to get!

Besides, how many months do you know they've been contributing towards this occassion?
And how do you know it didn't just take 12000 members giving 10pounds or 1200 giving 10pounds in 10 sundays?

Check this out and tell me if it doesn't blow your mind!

Thessalonians 5:12-13
12And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Wake up son! Get real!

Learn about this and grow into having the right understanding. . . see, I understand with your lack of full knowledge(and I don't mean that critically). . . that's why the bible says to
". . .grow [/b]in grace, and [b]in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. . ."
2Peter3:18. I'm only doing 1Timothy4:6
if thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by TV01(m): 1:13pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hi Papa,

You are quite simply defending the indefensible.

I am not holding brief for Consultant here (we have differing views on some things and I note that the tithe is yet another one smiley)

Firstly your emphasis on the "outward appearance". God can use whomsoever He pleases, and scripture makes it clear that it can be the foolish, weak, base or despised. "Tattered" looking is an issue is it? How about Peter saying "Silver & Gold have I non?" Or Paul being, weak in his physical presence and contemptible in speech. He was often ill and suffered lack?

"Honour the Lord". So when did we start to equate men with the Lord?

Your attempt to justify the amount by the length of time and numbers donating is at best lame. It was about the purpose and the amount.

Yes, and by all means, please esteem those who "labour among you in the Word", and "share in all good things with them". But if he is being paid (a whole other discussion ), is he not being honoured?

"Lack of Knowledge". That's an oxymoron. The Bible says "We know in part" it also says "Knowledge puffs up". I guess there's growth yet for us all huh?

I don't believe the state has any business in Church affairs (yet another thread cry), but if you choose to subject yourself to the state, should you not comply with the law?

Please do not be offending, that I haven't been able to append chapters and verses on my post. I appreciate your thoughts sir, but I'm not with you on this one.

God bless
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 1:43pm On Apr 13, 2006
Young Man,
Be not quick to speak yet slow to understand;
Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
James1:19
I never said tartared Pastors are not sent of God - why should I say such a thing!?
I meant how is his Gospel (which should mean GOODNEWS!) going attractive to the unsaved if he looks tartared?
You've got to understand that the gospel of Jesus is healing to the sick, prosperity to the poor, comfort to the broken, deliverance to those in bondage and so many other things like Jesus mentioned in
Luke4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

"Honour the Lord". So when did we start to equate men with the Lord?
. Don't treat that passage in parts, look at it as a whole he was referring to firstfruits! and in Ezekiel 48:14 it says
And they shall not sell of it, neither exchange, nor alienate the firstfruits of the land: for it is holy unto the LORD.

It says: UNTO THE LORD, yet in Ezekiel 44:30 it says
And the first of all the firstfruits of all things, and every oblation of all, of every sort of your oblations, shall be the priest's: ye shall also give unto the priest the first of your dough, that he may cause the blessing to rest in thine house.

Why do you think the same Paul you referred to said
". . .to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves. . ."
in 1Thess5:13 and then said
6Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things. 7[b]Be not deceived; God is not mocked:[/b] for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
in Galatians 6:6-7
And why do you think Paul started the Galatians in Chapter 3 that. . .
[b]1[/b]O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

[b]2[/b]This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

[b]3[/b]Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

[b]4[/b]Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.

[b]5[/b]He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2006
Lack of knowledge? - oxymoron!? You must be kidding me if you didn't know that God said:

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee
Hosea4:6

And is it not because of this that
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know 1Corinthians2:12

Mind you! I'm not defending anyone or their actions, I'm only showing you reasons not to criticize the church because God most likely honored what the church in question did.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by TV01(m): 2:02pm On Apr 13, 2006
Hi Papa,

Thanks for the response.
I take it the "young man" comment was intended in good humour. Would you be referring to my physical or spiritual age (I can see how pious you are!).

You can post as many references to justify it as you please. It was simply wrong.

Please feel free to continue your defense of bankrupt tradition and indulgent religiosity.

God bless
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 2:26pm On Apr 13, 2006
I am not trying to persuade you
defen[i][d][/i] bankrupt[ing] tradition and indulgent religiosity
or whatever you want to call it. I will at this junction leave you to your opinions. Arguing for God or for the church is not anything useful because remains God ANYHOW and the church of God will keep growing and producing results everywhere whether or not you like it! ok! grin

But here's something very important from me to you (man to man): Hebrews 3:6-19

But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation. For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses. But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?

. . . and here's what their sin was. . .

Verse 18: And to whom [i]sware he[God] that they should not enter into his rest[/i], but to them that believed not?

Verse 19: So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief

Be [b]EASILY [/b]Persuaded, NOT by any man's words (not even Papa), but MAKE SURE GOD'S WORD GETS YOUR ATTENTION 100%!
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 2:27pm On Apr 13, 2006
. . .one more thing, GOD BLESS YOU TOOOOOOO!!!. . . grin
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by dejibabs1: 3:31pm On Apr 13, 2006
Assumption they say is the lowest level of reasoning.

I'm sorry to say this but I ve long realised one thing that its only poor minded people that start this kind of topic anywhere.

Wealth is a thing of the mind. And if i will ask a question, who is more qualified to teach the prosperity message other than somebody who has experienced wealth himself. Nobody is forced to give anything in church. As for me, the principle of giving to God and receiving in multiple fold has worked for me several times therefore I will continue to give to God as long as I have faith in the principle.

I have not said there is no iota of truth in Lekan's position but when it is expressed the way he did it gives the impression that somebody is envious of something.

Please dont write-off all churches the way you did. Infact! u must be born again or else! grin cheesy (just kidding thats no threat)

About the Tithe issue: From my own understanding, tithing does not neccessarily mean giving 10% of your income to your church (though its also part of it), but you can give your 10% percent to the less priviledged, you can give it to your neighbour who needs help, you can use it to feed a hungry family, you can use it to cloth that guy that is always wearing thesame shirt to church every sunday. there are so many ways you can give your tithe. the most important thing is that, its is between you and your God.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Consultant(f): 3:52pm On Apr 13, 2006
@ Papa

Thessalonians 5:12-13
12And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; 13And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

There is one thing you and I can agree on from your posts Papa, and that is - men of God should be honored and blessed by their congregation. I am 100% with you on that one. However, the Bible does not say to what degree and that is where we will have to agree to disagree. However, wisdom is proftable to direct, and i pray that our Pastors will increase in wisdom by the day, so that our churches in Nigeria will have a greater influence on the country than they do now.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 12:31pm On Apr 14, 2006
God Bless you Consultant - God Bless you BIG TIME!

Let me help you here Deji_babs

In Malachi 3:10 God said
Bring ye ALL THE TITHES INTO THE STOREHOUSE, that there may be meat IN MINE HOUSE and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
Follow God's word to the letter son, it's life!
Proverbs 3
1My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
3Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
4So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
9Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
10So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Enigma(m): 9:19am On Apr 16, 2006
who is more qualified to teach the prosperity message other than somebody who has experienced wealth himself

But the CHRISTIAN message is NOT the "prosperity message". Again, the prosperity message/gospel is a vomit of satan that has nothing to do with Christianity. Hence Christian leaders do not need to preach the prosperity message/gospel; thus, it does not matter whether a Christian preacher (note NOT a prosperity preacher) is rich or poor.

The greatest Christian preacher - well more than that really because He was God incarnate - Jesus Christ was not rich on this earth. And He DID NOT preach a prosperity message/gospel! And don't believe the lies of prosperity preachers that say Jesus was rich.

His chosen foundations of the Church and of the Christian faith (e.g. James, Peter, Paul, John, Stephen etc etc etc) were not rich. And none of them preached the prosperity message/gospel!

Rather, Jesus and these apostles preached the Christian gospel. Knowledgeable Christians stay away from the deceit and chicanery of the prosperity message/gospel.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by aderaskeey(m): 9:54am On Apr 16, 2006
Yesss, many are in church but are not in God!!!

If God should mark iniquities, who shall stand

Like all enterprise that necessarily involves the frailty of man, it is natural for conmen to reign both in the pulpitand the pews. we are all a product of grace. We cannot however bcause of these conmen in church abandon the temple for them like we have done in politics. The Temple of prayer is our last bastion of defence, to abandon it for the theives in church is to willfully surrender our house to be converted to the Den of robbers. We can fight back on our knees, we can win back the lost and duped souls with effectual fervent prayer of the righteous which availeth much.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 4:43pm On Apr 17, 2006
But the CHRISTIAN message is NOT the "prosperity message".
Point of correction! Prosperity is part of God's intention for His kids! Here's proof from The Word!
Psalm 35:27
Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

Again, the prosperity message/gospel is a vomit of satan that has nothing to do with Christianity.
Even with that scripture!? - You must be kidding else your ignorance is manifested exceeding great!

Jesus Christ was not rich on this earth. || And don't believe the lies of prosperity preachers that say Jesus was rich.
2 Corinthians 8:9
For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that through his poverty ye might be rich.
Again, you're quite incorrect!
@Enigma
And He DID NOT preach a prosperity message/gospel!
Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor . . .

Matthew 11:4-5Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
And again. . . undecided

His chosen foundations of the Church and of the Christian faith (e.g. James, Peter, Paul, John, Stephen etc etc etc) were not rich. And none of them preached the prosperity message/gospel!
Philippians 4:18-20
But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
If you take note, he didn't say "all our needs", he had grown in Christ to have a different understanding. In 1Corinthians 3:21
1 Corinthians 3:21
Therefore let no man glory in men. For all things are your's;
And you say they didn't preach prosperity!? Common! Be real!

Rather, Jesus and these apostles preached the Christian gospel.
The gospel is good news, what other message is goodnews to a poor man than prosperity for him in Jesus?

Knowledgeable Christians stay away from the deceit and chicanery of the prosperity message/gospel.
I think Knowledgeable Christians should not be unequally yoked with you because you don't believe - you're an unbeliever! No Disrespect, it a fact!
2 Corinthians 6:14
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers. . .

Let me add that if you don't believe, prosperity won't work for you. . .

Hebrews 3:18-19And to whom sware he[i][God][/i] that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
[b]Do you want God to have to swear that you should never enjoy this prosperity!? - Common choose!
BE WISE!!!
No disrespect, enigma, but even your screenname brings doubt:
Web definitions of Enigma: something that baffles understanding
wink
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by aderaskeey(m): 5:20pm On Apr 17, 2006
Papa,

I can't agree more. I concur with your submission 101%
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Enigma(m): 11:47pm On Apr 17, 2006
Papa

It is obvious that you read/interprete the Bible in the same juvenile way as you argue; and it also seems that any effort to take you through proper biblical exegesis on this forum will be wasted. Perhaps one day your eyes will be opened to the true gospel of Christ and the true Christian message; then you will run a mile from the prosperity message, I assure you.

In the meantime, I simply repeat my assertion that the prosperity message/"gospel" is a vomit of satan and knowledgeable Christians will steer clear of it.

Actually, for whatever it is worth, here are a few links from which you might learn a thing or two:

http://gbgm-umc.org/global_news/full_article.cfm?articleid=3258

http://www.arcapologetics.org/veritas/veritas-2003-11.htm

http://www.gotquestions.org/prosperity-gospel.html

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=565

http://www.mtio.com/articles/bissar63.htm
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 11:45am On Apr 18, 2006
Just like Jesus answered and said unto them, "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God."

and that's what your problem is, the fact that there are internet links to back your point doesn't move me or change anything.

Wise Christians, I want you to take note of one thing. The first and the second links say

Jesus says in Matthew 6:19-20, ‘Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.’”

But that's not what we are taught!

We are taught that

But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.
Deut 8:18
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Enigma(m): 1:02am On Apr 19, 2006
So you admit and confess that you are taught NOT to follow the teachings of Christ!

You see why knowledgeable Christians avoid the prosperity "gospel" like the plague?

You forgot that Christ actually specifically taught His followers that some of the things in Deuteronomy were not correct. "You have heard it said , but I (i.e. Christ) tell you , "; or Moses allowed some things because of 'your hardness of heart' "but I (Christ) tell you , "

In any event, the abuse/misuse of passages like Deut. 8:18 (and soon you'll also be [mis]quoting III John 2 as well) is one of the unfortunate things brought about by the vomit of satan known as the prosperity "gospel'/message.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Papa(m): 11:57am On Apr 19, 2006
So you admit and confess that you are taught NOT to follow the teachings of Christ!
Don't try to pervert truth with english Enigma.
I meant we are not taught to lay up treasures on earth,
There's need for these things called treasure in the multiplicity of God's kingdom.
[s] [/s]
Ok, for example: To preach the gospel of Jesus to about one million people would cost millions. Where do you expect the money to come from if Christians don't exercise their faith to get the money coming?

You forgot that Christ actually specifically taught His followers that some of the things in Deuteronomy were not correct. "You have heard it said , but I (i.e. Christ) tell you , "; or Moses allowed some things because of 'your hardness of heart' "but I (Christ) tell you , "

You were a clown on this one: read that passage again - It's not a law!
Deut 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

Besides Jesus said
Matthew 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

In any event, the abuse/misuse of passages like Deut. 8:18 (and soon you'll also be [mis]quoting III John 2 as well) is one of the unfortunate things brought about by the vomit of satan known as the prosperity "gospel'/message.

Deut. 8:18But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.

III John1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Explain how qouting those two scriptures have been abused!? 'because you're really an enigma dude!
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by 4getme1(m): 1:24pm On Apr 19, 2006
Enigma:

No, no, no and no. Christ was not saying that some of the things in Deuteronomy were not correct. If you read His earlier assertion, you'll understand that He did not in any way belittle any teaching of the OT - "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. . . Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven" (Matt. 5:17 & 19). In effect, He came to give the real meaning and essence of what the OT teaches.

And I do not agree that you were a clown or an enigma dude - no one is, we all make mistakes. smiley

Papa:

Ok, for example: To preach the gospel of Jesus to about one million people would cost millions. Where do you expect the money to come from if Christians don't exercise their faith to get the money coming?

I'm sorry to note that this type of thinking has robbed the church of her focus on God alone. Exercising faith - to get the money coming? I'm a bit confused. The one thing I could make of this whole business is that our focus should not be on things but on God and on Him alone. I Tim. 6:10 & 17 often come to mind when thinking about issues like this. It's really sad that many people I know who speak this way seem to be persuaded that money is the ultimate or paramount resource for reaching people with the Gospel of Christ. Papa, please don't feel that I'm necessarily sounding accusative towards you, because I'm not. This is how I see it:

Perhaps, a lot of us have confused between Biblical prosperity and the contemporary prosperity Gospel. The undeniable fact of Scripture is that God prospers His children in every aspect of life - in their finances, relationships and family, careers and educational pursuits, ministry, and other undertakings. Trouble comes when people rest everything about prosperity on money. Prosperity in the Bible (as far as I see it) is not basically a matter of money - and that is what contemporary prosperity Gospel ministries have failed to realise. Take the time to go through the Bible on the teaching of this subject, and you'd be amazed to find that what is now being emphasized in many churches has no place in God's word.

In Gen. 39, Joseph was spoken of as prospering in prison! Prisoners don't command great finances, but the prosperity that might be presented here is one that speaks more about having the presence of God in someone's life and understanding God's purposes and will in any situation (see verse 3).

It is true that we need money to be able to reach out to the nations of the world today. Televangelism and Internet Evangelism cost fortunes. There are ministries I support with my financial contributions and would really encourage people to do the same, as long as those ministries uphold a commitment to financial integrity. It is no secret that most people who are on air preaching the Gospel and working miracles focus more on money than on the ministry committed to them by God. Let Him be the Judge of such, and our part is to be discerning and not encourage their worldly appetites.

One thing that shames me is that we have numerous churches screaming out prosperity from their pulpits in Nigeria (and several other countries I've visited), and the general spiritual climate is so low! I believe that the lavish lifestyle and excesses of most ministers is simply a shame to the cause of the Gospel. Is it any wonder that the Laodicean church in Rev. 3 boasted so much in her material wealth, only to be told that they were beggarly in Christ's assessment! What am I saying? Wealth has a place in our spiritual lives, I believe; but the emphasis on extravagance tends to corrode our spiritual vitality.

We don't need a million dollars to reach a million Africans or Asians as much as we need dependence on the unlimited power of the Holy Spirit. The early Christians were reported to have turned the whole world upside down within a short time of the emergence of the Church (Acts 17:6). How did they do it? I offer that it was less about money, but more about the power of the Holy Spirit.

If this quip will serve any purpose, hear it: a friend of mine not long ago moaned on the phone about how a planned crusade was put on hold or cancelled - because, the board of ministers present in the organising committee meeting disagreed on how much was expected to be raised in their planned crusade! I'm not being sarcastic here nor insinuating that this is the trend in every and any church holding crusades; but this sort of thing saddens me as much as it staggers my senses.

Okay, enough of my rambling. Closing remarks:

The difference I can make out between 'Biblical prosperity' and the 'contemporary prosperity Gospel' is that the latter does not preach the essentials of the real saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. God sent His Son to save the world through the sacrifice He endured on the Cross so that believers might be a perculiar people serving God in truth, righteousness, intergrity and holiness. However, the prosperity Gospel of today will stop at nothing to deviate from the simple message of Christ in order to promote another 'god' - Mammon.

Beloved, don't focus on money; rather, focus on God and on Him alone. Blessings.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by TV01(m): 1:58pm On Apr 19, 2006
Hi 4get-me,

For a clearer insight, would you please share your understanding of exactly how The Lord "fulfilled" the law.

To All,

The statement that "it takes money to spread the gospel" is quite simply untrue. Please show me anywhere in the Bible (particularly the book of Acts), where money was ever collected for the propagation of the gospel.

I'd appreciate your various perspectives on this.

God bless
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by 4getme1(m): 4:07pm On Apr 19, 2006
Hmmm, my dear, I'll do so as soon as I get back home and settle down - I had a free day at work today and have spent it on Nairaland. Give me a few hours (if thou canst) and I'll be back to share what I understand with regards to your enquiry.

Bless up dearie. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by madamkoko: 2:11am On Aug 29, 2008
If churches didn't make any money, there won't be as much churches in Nigeria as there are today.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by dudubobo1: 10:59am On Aug 29, 2008
That's what the church is supposed to be. . . A BUSINESS CENTRE!

A centre for God's business
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 01, 2010
I went to a New Years Eve celebration tonight with the Redeemed Christian Church of God.  This is a brand new experience to me.  There was alot of shouting and loud talking going on.  We were encouraged to cross over to the New Year with out sickness.  We were to be thankful we are all alive today.  What struck me the most however was when we were told to enter into a salt covenant with one another.  People brought salt for us all to share and take home.  We were told this is for healing us.  Than we had communion and after that we were told to anoint our feet with oil to keep our feet inline with our heads.  Can anyone explain this ritual to me, I have never heard of this before in my whole life.  Everyone there did as they were instructed to do.  I was uncomfortable and was not able to conform.  Is this biblical?  Let me know what you think about this please. They also took up 2 offerings and we were encouraged to give our first money to God this brand New year.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by ttalks(m): 9:41am On Jan 01, 2010
leahsarahk:

I went to a New Years Eve celebration tonight with the Redeemed Christian Church of God. This is a brand new experience to me. There was alot of shouting and loud talking going on. We were encouraged to cross over to the New Year with out sickness. We were to be thankful we are all alive today. What struck me the most however was when we were told to enter into a salt covenant with one another. People brought salt for us all to share and take home. We were told this is for healing us. Than we had communion and after that we were told to anoint our feet with oil to keep our feet inline with our heads. Can anyone explain this ritual to me, I have never heard of this before in my whole life. Everyone there did as they were instructed to do. I was uncomfortable and was not able to conform. Is this biblical? Let me know what you think about this please. They also took up 2 offerings and we were encouraged to give our first money to God this brand New year.

leahsarahk,

The only thing i can tell you is that everything which they told you guys to do are just stuff created by the people/pastors of that parish.
They are not stuff which you need to do.
You really ought to take time out and know what God is about and also Christianity.
It does not involve practically 90% of the dross we see bandied about by churches these days;RCCG being one of them.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by manmustwac(m): 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2010
madamkoko:

If churches didn't make any money, there won't be as much churches in Nigeria as there are today.
WORD!!! Over 99% of them are just interested in making money for thier own selfish interest and don't give a damn about thier poor congregation angry
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by AKO1(m): 7:11pm On Jan 01, 2010
leahsarahk:

I went to a New Years Eve celebration tonight with the Redeemed Christian Church of God.  This is a brand new experience to me.  There was alot of shouting and loud talking going on.  We were encouraged to cross over to the New Year with out sickness.  We were to be thankful we are all alive today.  What struck me the most however was when we were told to enter into a salt covenant with one another.  People brought salt for us all to share and take home.  We were told this is for healing us.  Than we had communion and after that we were told to anoint our feet with oil to keep our feet inline with our heads.  Can anyone explain this ritual to me, I have never heard of this before in my whole life.  Everyone there did as they were instructed to do.  I was uncomfortable and was not able to conform.  Is this biblical?  Let me know what you think about this please. They also took up 2 offerings and we were encouraged to give our first money to God this brand New year.

Perfectly unscriptural. Let someone prove me wrong.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by ttruth(m): 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2010
@POST :

There are some jobless people who take advantage of people and turn the churches into a money making centres. People like that their ministry don't last and they have their place in a lake of fire.
Re: Nigerian Churches Today Are Business Centers! by Nobody: 7:11pm On Feb 23, 2010
Yes I was uncomfortable with the procedure at the New years eve service. I believe you are right about the salt covenant and the oil anointed by our own self on the feet, being just stuff the pastor told the people to do. My husband and I have missed the last 3 weeks there, but I think my husband still wants to attend there, and I want to go with him where ever he chooses to go. However I am not learning as much as I desire to in this church. Tell me if it is true we are all kings. I just had understood we are to serve God and he is the king of kings and Lord of Lords. Why are they telling us we are kings too?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How False Men Of God Steal Peoples Glory / *~ Davidylan Voted The Religion Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congrats!! / Christians That Can Speak Hebrew- Yeshua( Jesus Or Joshua) He Is Saved

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.