Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,643 members, 7,813,156 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:56 AM

Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages (19284 Views)

Today I Made Use Of The Gbese And Tuesomole To Teach Maths. / Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu / What Are Social Science Subjects In Secondary School..help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ensamy(m): 2:17pm On May 31, 2017
Now una don realise una self.
China,india etc dey use indeginous language learn science and arts.
grin[color=#006600][/color] shocked angry
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Amberon: 2:17pm On May 31, 2017
Lol
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Jabioro: 2:17pm On May 31, 2017
How will you relate quadratic equation ,statistic,exponent ,angles, square roots, logarithms sine, cosine for figure table, Pythagoras and many mathematical terms in Yoruba...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:18pm On May 31, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
grin

My church teaches speaking in tongue in Efik and Yoruba

Lol.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by nextprince: 2:19pm On May 31, 2017
salamiwasiu:
Good move, because country like Germany teaches in their own language

Germany has a lot of science books written in their language, how many physics, chemistry, math books are written in Nigerian languages.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by paradigmshift(m): 2:19pm On May 31, 2017
hahahaha imagine teaching calculus with native language
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:19pm On May 31, 2017
PapiSmith:
Imagine if your maths teacher is igbo. How will he pronounce 43 in yoruba? grin

Eta lé Logoji. Na mass failure be that grin

LOL.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a Nairaland comment.

My still hurts 5 minutes later.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by farous(m): 2:19pm On May 31, 2017
what will you call dy/dx, or some topics like sequence and series,longitude and latitude,bearings,angles of elevation and depression etc, in local language?. or in science for instance chemistry terminologies like Ammonia,Sulphate vi acid, etc
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by nasuite: 2:21pm On May 31, 2017
Hi friend,

this is the surest link to the financial freedom you have ever craved for. It can make you a superhero in just 30days.

it is guaranteed to make you returns if only you take action today. Desire to work from home with ease.

i chose to share it among people that would dare to take action today.

www.tinyurl. com/moneycut

Copy the link and register.

please close the gap between tinyurl. and com. it was posted to avoid bot ban.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:22pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:
All in a bid to bring our education down to d level of northerners who rather remain illiterates than learn English. Which school in d South will accept dat Rubbish wen children at d age of 3 can flow fluently in English. Its a disgrace our educational system would have to descend so low all because we are in d same country will northerners who have vowed to remain illiterates. Other countries are looking for ways to further develop the standards of their educational system we are going back to square one. RUBBISH

The issue with the north isn't the language it's the fact that many of the children aren't in school.

Anyway, the minister claims that similar schemes have worked in India and China.

I don't think it's the worst plan in the world. If the goal is to ensure that people relate to the subject matter then it makes sense to teach it in their native language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:22pm On May 31, 2017
i support this.....the death of our indigenous languages in schools is appalling.

When i was a corper,fellow corps members usually testify how students understand maths in yoruba language better
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Lancelott(m): 2:22pm On May 31, 2017
salamiwasiu:
Good move, because country like Germany teaches in their own language
That is their lingual franca. Nigeria's own is English. they teach in one language not multiple languages. Imagine a Yoruba corper from Osun or Oyo in Plateau, how will they effectively teach in Hausa if they were taught in Yoruba?? do you understand my angle?? If as weak as English is in Nigeria, you further devalue the lingual franca, imagine someone at say a UK embassy in Nigeria, do you think they'll speak all languages?? This is the dumbest move I have seen. It's bad for trade, commerce, tourism and birth all every sector. Over time it'll be so bad that only the elites will have the knowledge of English.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Lancelott(m): 2:23pm On May 31, 2017
nextprince:

Germany has a lot of science books written in their language, how many physics, chemistry, math books are written in Nigerian languages.
And Germany uses a common tongue, do you know how many languages we have in Nigeria?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:23pm On May 31, 2017
martineverest:
i support this.....the death of our indigenous languages in schools is appalling

Languages die every day, the reason being that they are fundamentally useless.

If indigenous languages are to survive they must show themselves to be of some value besides basic interaction between neighboring villages.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by franklynn(m): 2:25pm On May 31, 2017
zinachidi:

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/232659-nigeria-begins-moves-to-teach-maths-science-subjects-in-indigenous-languages.html

Believe diz propagandists at your own peril, coz i for one has given up on 9ja since i was born. #their daddy!
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Lancelott(m): 2:25pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

The issue with the north isn't the language it's the fact that many of the children aren't in school.

Anyway, the minister claims that similar schemes have worked in India and China.

I don't think it's the worst plan in the world. If the goal is to ensure that people relate to the subject matter then it makes sense to teach it in their native language.

It worked because of a common tongue.. what do we use as the common tongue? is it the more than 100+ languages
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by zionmade1: 2:26pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

Do u know how many scholars those country had before they could implement dat, scholars whose books are widely used all over d world, can u name a nigerian scholar? Or maybe we wud start translating other people's books, RUBBISH
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by oloriadebusola: 2:26pm On May 31, 2017
How is this a welcome development for God's sake, drawing us back to the stone age, I served in the north and most subjects were thought in the hausa language, how has it helped, I needed an interpreter. Please let's introduce better ways of learning, will a lawyer defend his client with Yoruba language in court, Will you speak your native language at the embassy to get a visa. Are they international languages. Maybe they should also include learning English with native languages, they shouldn't stop at maths and science subjects.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by oseiwe(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:
All in a bid to bring our education down to d level of northerners who rather remain illiterates than learn English. Which school in d South will accept dat Rubbish wen children at d age of 3 can flow fluently in English. Its a disgrace our educational system would have to descend so low all because we are in d same country will northerners who have vowed to remain illiterates. Other countries are looking for ways to further develop the standards of their educational system we are going back to square one. RUBBISH
Exactly bro.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Ikem11(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2017
Muzanga:
Hian. . E go make sense.... igbo example: 12 kagbuo 6 , oputara gini? N-y choputa x.... ewepu 5 nime 10 oputara gini?
Hahahaha u just made my day. Very nice
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by konfused: 2:26pm On May 31, 2017
If Nigeria can successfully implement this, then the redemption of Africa is not far. This is the best news i have heard since Buhari became president

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by opius: 2:28pm On May 31, 2017
What's going to be the Yoruba of Pythagoras theory grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Muzanga(f): 2:29pm On May 31, 2017
Ikem11:

Hahahaha u just made my day. Very nice
lol. Thanks
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:29pm On May 31, 2017
Lancelott:
It worked because of a common tongue.. what do we use as the common tongue? is it the more than 100+ languages

India has over 120 different languages itself.

I can see the issues long term with such a program but I do understand the need to ensure that people get real knowledge from an early age in a language that they are comfortable with, while they also learn the lingua franca of the country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:30pm On May 31, 2017
Josmila:
I'm a bit indifferent to this. Science students aren't really good with English language and expressing themselves better, now you want to teach them core subjects with a language other English? Wahala dey
who cares about english when we have our own languages?...wud u rather be happy our indegenous languages die while english language bcome a norm in nigeria?....afterall,our fathers and mothers spoke native dialets more than us when they were in schools and they could stilll speak better englishh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by cruxmeggido(m): 2:30pm On May 31, 2017
Nice move...... Really nice move. it brings better understanding, the fact is you understand your language more than others languages.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:31pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:

Do u know how many scholars those country had before they could implement dat, scholars whose books are widely used all over d world, can u name a nigerian scholar? Or maybe we wud start translating other people's books, RUBBISH

We're talking primary school level, not tertiary.

It's basic maths and science translated into a language that these children are comfortable with.

They will still need to learn English for university.

It's not the travesty that you seem to think that it is.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Solomon38: 2:32pm On May 31, 2017
I Like Nigeria they can recircle statement all over no implemention
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by lionel4mercy: 2:32pm On May 31, 2017
politicians deceiving people everywhere. go to the real north they teach with hausa but come to compare them with other people, like in GCE or even JAMB you cant find them anywhere. Stop this nonsense, teaching in your language does not change anything but the capacity of your brain to retain knowledge...
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:
The senselessness of this administration is beyond normal.
So you teach a child living in Ondo mathematics in Yoruba language and he graduates and can't even get a job in Benin City that is barely 100km away because he can't communicate!!

Even China and Japan as advanced as they are have begun to teach in English in thier universities. In fact the demand for English teachers in these countries is so large that they pay them and provide housing just to make them stay.

We need the sack the old folks sitting in Abuja!

You are right. I can't even begin to fathom the many problems this policy would create.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by osazsky(m): 2:34pm On May 31, 2017
Wats longitude and latitude in hausa, laphitude and lonpitude kia.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by nNEOo(m): 2:35pm On May 31, 2017
Jabioro:
How will you relate quadratic equation ,statistic,exponent ,angles, square roots, logarithms sine, cosine for figure table, Pythagoras and many mathematical terms in Yoruba...

start looking for ways to relate them......
that being said......this will be soooooooooooooooo awesome

they should bring it to the university as well....again qaw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike / Dead, Retired Teachers, Security Guards Passed Kaduna Teachers Screening – NLC / I Was Very Sad When I Had A B, Says Graduate With 4.99 Cgpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.