Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,025 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:47 AM

Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages (19281 Views)

Today I Made Use Of The Gbese And Tuesomole To Teach Maths. / Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu / What Are Social Science Subjects In Secondary School..help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by nextprince: 8:32pm On May 31, 2017
ejanla077:

dumbest post ever...

you understood it whitemans language but wont understand in ur fathers language
Yeah, I do and can't contemplate same in a different language. But here you are struggling with English language, just a language, a non logical subject.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hollowpot15684(m): 8:34pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:
All in a bid to bring our education down to d level of northerners who rather remain illiterates than learn English. Which school in d South will accept dat Rubbish wen children at d age of 3 can flow fluently in English. Its a disgrace our educational system would have to descend so low all because we are in d same country will northerners who have vowed to remain illiterates. Other countries are looking for ways to further develop the standards of their educational system we are going back to square one. RUBBISH

God pls, give this man the strength and ability to use his brain...
father pls boost him up a little..
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 8:44pm On May 31, 2017
WarHorse1:
I am touched by this.
I remember when I was serving (NYSE) and teaching Mathematics at Govt. Sec. Sch. Basawa, Zaria. It was JSS1 class. I found out that when i give assignments, many of the students do not do the assignment. Most of those who do the assignment got zero. One day, it occurred to me that language could be the issue. I ask the most intelligent boy in class (An Edo boy but born and brought up in Zaria) to translate my class. It was a shocking realization. I still experience tear running down from my eyes when i remember the outcome. No one got zero. the majority passed all assignments. Especially exciting were the young female students who were so happy with their scores.

This was not going to be for long as the news got to the principal. he called me and cautioned that I should never translate my classes. Only English. Angry, I told him that I will never allow my fellow man or woman to be judged literate by a foreign language. I insisted that i will have it translated. The VP of the school then called me - a woman then - and begged that I should not call for trouble. Just obey, she said. Then a teacher from Edo state but have been in the North for long told me that if the Imam does not approve it, it cannot be done and that I should stir clear from trouble.

I can't wait to see the North taught in Hausa. That will be what will liberate the north from ignorance that perpetrate terrorism and poverty.

Lovely experience there!
So you see how backward reasoning keeps us down. The principal does not understand his role in the school which is to facilitate learning. He was just fulfilling unproductive bureacracy.

This reminds me of 3 idiots film: "This is a college not a pressure cooker".
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 8:45pm On May 31, 2017
Phi001:

In a class where there are at least 8-10 ethnic groups, which language should the subject be taught with?

At face value, it is brilliant, but looking deeper, you'll see that the idea is nothing but nonsensical...
Maybe you should look EVEN DEEPER.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by PapaBrowne(m): 8:48pm On May 31, 2017
hero2000:

Your line of reasoning is faulty. Your bias against this administration is probably affecting you. So the Julius Berger engineers doing your roads was taught maths in primary school in English Or the Chinese guys repairing our refineries were taught in English.

Kwantinue!

German and Mandarin are global languages! German is spoken by at least 3 countries. Mandarin is spoken by 1 billion plus people.

Are you not tired of all the tribalism you see around you? That is the biggest contribution our multiplicity of languages has brought us! Nothing but tribalism!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 8:52pm On May 31, 2017
samsono30:
this guy is a ram, in fact this guy is trying to divide Nigeria the more. More Nigerians will loose their teaching job. so what language will minority tribe teach with now? Zombie language? stupid APC ram. As if this is the problem facing Nigerian Education. just imagine u explain 6 raise to power 2 in Yoruba. you will now say GBE MEFA SOKE SI AGBARA MEJI.

Waoh. Your translation is nice. In fact you will be one of the Maths teachers in South west.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 8:55pm On May 31, 2017
musicwriter:

Do you know 90% of the words and terminologies in your science class are not English? Do you know Britain once did exactly what our FG is proposing today?

For your information, the same argument you have above was the same argument educated people in Britain itself were making when Britain wanted to get back it's language to begin learning sciences in English. They also considered English an insufficient language for learning science!. It was Isaac Newton that pressed them in a meeting of scholars in 1616 to adopt English as their official language for learning science. They did so. What's the result today? Is English still lacking words to study science?

Of course, the above assumes you know Britain was also once colonized by Germans, French, Spanish, Rome, and that they once spoke the language of their captors.

Nothing is wrong with our native languages. As a mater of fact, I' am really ashamed you are writing this as a Yoruba man. If you think English is better than Yoruba, that's because the language is being destroyed by non-use. I' am not a Yoruba, but my research shows the Yoruba language is one of the best language on earth, but of course if you leave any language in preference of another language, you'll lose the capacity to create new words and the language may even die.

I am impressed.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Martinez19(m): 8:58pm On May 31, 2017
This is unnecessary and will cause confusion. It is better if everyone speaks one language.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 9:06pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:

"they all passed Common entrance" in my Primary school days we all passed common entrance. Let dem also all pass WAEC. RUBBISH. Those country u mentioned have scholars and are very much equiped. Instead of developing our education first to a world standard before talking about language, we are here experimenting with passing common entrance

How old are you?
I am very sure you were not near earth in the 70s. Common Entrance was big deal then. Besides this was a pilot scheme. So it was natural to test it in primary school before advancing to Secondary school.

Also, what I would love to know(which you should also be interested in) is how these pupils taught in local languages fared in their studies in secondary school. Did this local language learning foundation give an edge over other students OR were they at a disadvantage?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by iganboh001: 9:18pm On May 31, 2017
How will they write WAEC and NECO?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 9:29pm On May 31, 2017
PaztorAYO:
Hehehe...... I'm a creation of no one, my brother. It is not always possible to completely reverse the effects of Imperialism, especially in places where its influence was incredibly strong. We can only make the best out of the current order of things globally. That is the way of the world. Just like no man is an island, nor is any culture or civilization. We all affect one another, because all cultures coexist on the same planet. You assimilate that which is useful and discard the injurious.The Romans conquered the Greeks, but were heavily influenced by Greek culture, since the Roman Empire was a cultural vacuum. The same Romans who conquered the Jews were in turn conquered by the Jews who gave them Christianity. So, who is the other's creation in each one of these instances? Are we to advocate that the Western world abandon Judeo-Christianity so as not to be regarded as the creatiom of the Jew? I'm no advocate of any form of cultural purity or conservatism. There is no point in it. All that matters is progress. The current system WORKS WELL. All that's needed is improvement, nothing more. It'll take more resources, time and effort to implement the policy you're supporting than it would to improve on the current system of education, in addition to the fact that there's no guarantee of greater success and efficiency.

So, are you saying you support the division of classrooms along TRIBAL LINES just so that students can be taught in their native languages? What consequences do you think that holds for society?

Your comment shows you are well read and exposed. A big problem with your post is: The current system works well.

Does it REALLY work well for us-Africans, Nigerians? Maybe it works well for Europe and the West but I doubt it works well for us.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 9:38pm On May 31, 2017
Zenithpeak:
If Nigeria after 100 years of official amalgamation of Southern and Northern protectorate with English as her official language cannot set herself on the path to greatness then, no amount of localized educational system can help us.

The governor of my state speak our local language very well yet, will rather care for himself and his family with the state fund at the expense of the people of the state.

Let us develop the land first, good road, access to good health care, constant electricity supply, qualitative education, effective policing without assault on the citizenry, Free and fair election, government accountability, effective budget implementation etc then we can be talking of language of teaching in our local schools but for now, it's still a secondary matter.

Your line of reasoning is like a man whose child has leukemia and says, 'look let us give child quality education. Education is the most important thing. When he is well educated we can now treat his Leukemia'.

The child might be dead before he gets the quality education. Even if he doesn't die, where is the health required for gaining useful education?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by musicwriter(m): 9:38pm On May 31, 2017
ejanla077:

dumbest post ever...

you understood it whitemans language but wont understand in ur fathers language

Thank you!.

And that's the question everybody against this policy should answer. If we can understand science in a foreign language, how much more in our own language? That's a good question.

Its a pity many years of slavery and colonialism won't just let us understand English isn't our language and that we will be better off studying in our native languages. When and if this policy implemented you'll see intelligence and academic excellence unleashed all over Nigeria, and hopefully Africa. It happened in Britain itself that gave us English.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hero2000: 9:53pm On May 31, 2017
I really wish this policy is begun. At least, maybe as a pilot scheme in some schools and let us see the outcome.

Then I hope the abortive tendency of government policies won't happen to this one too. Corruption destroys the best of ideas!
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Zenithpeak(m): 10:19pm On May 31, 2017
hero2000:

Your line of reasoning is like a man whose child has leukemia and says, 'look let us give child quality education. Education is the most important thing. When he is well educated we can now treat his Leukemia'.

The child might be dead before he gets the quality education. Even if he doesn't die, where is the health required for gaining useful education?

What you failed to realise is that, the PROBLEM OF NIGERIA IS NOT THE LANGUAGE OF TEACHING but a deliberate attempt of some people to keep enriching themselves at the expense of others.

What is the essence of a brilliant graduate without job or an avenue to to utilise his knowledge?

Language of study cannot solve the problem of this nation.

If we make our local languages the bedrock of our educational atmosphere and the culture of impunity is still there, we are coming back to square one UNDER DEVELOPED COUNTRY.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ebby9z(m): 10:36pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:

"they all passed Common entrance" in my Primary school days we all passed common entrance. Let dem also all pass WAEC. RUBBISH. Those country u mentioned have scholars and are very much equi
ed. Instead of developing our education first to a world standard before talking about language, we are here experimenting with passing common entrance

And those scholars fell from heaven? Pls, if you're not into languages, just talk a walk. It's obvious you're ignorant of the nexus between someone's native language and knowledge. Just forget it.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ejanla077: 7:46am On Jun 01, 2017
nextprince:

Yeah, I do and can't contemplate same in a different language. But here you are struggling with English language, just a language, a non logical subject.

WTF dude. dats d point. i struggle to speak or write English because my grandparents didnt speak any English....

i will understand perfectly if i was thought in my native language......
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ejanla077: 7:46am On Jun 01, 2017
nextprince:

WTF dude. dats d point. i struggle to speak or write English because my grandparents didnt speak any English....

your slave mentality is on a different level
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by nextprince: 7:48am On Jun 01, 2017
ejanla077:

your slave mentality is on a different level

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ejanla077: 9:51am On Jun 01, 2017
nextprince

ok but

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Ugosample(m): 10:20pm On Jun 01, 2017
this is a good move
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Cocoafera(m): 7:18pm On Aug 13, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Difrensesuni, Integresunu.
. This one strong o! Are you from guinea Bissau?
grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SSANU, NASU, NAT Meet On Strike / ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike / Unizik Students Build A Drone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.