Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,129 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages (19282 Views)

Today I Made Use Of The Gbese And Tuesomole To Teach Maths. / Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu / What Are Social Science Subjects In Secondary School..help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:36pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:
The senselessness of this administration is beyond normal.
So you teach a child living in Ondo mathematics in Yoruba language and he graduates and can't even get a job in Benin City that is barely 100km away because he can't communicate!!

Even China and Japan as advanced as they are have begun to teach in English in thier universities. In fact the demand for English teachers in these countries is so large that they pay them and provide housing just to make them stay.

We need the sack the old folks sitting in Abuja!

low self esteem is ur problem bro...what is d lingua franca or primary language of china or japan?have chinese and japanese replaced mandarin,cantonese and japanese with english?.......English is chinese second language because of international interactions......the reverse is d case here in nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by zionmade1: 2:36pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

We're talking primary school level, not tertiary.

It's basic maths and science translated into a language that these children are comfortable with.

They will still need to learn English for university.

It's not the travesty that you seem to think that it is.
At basic level?
Wat is d essence of basic level?
So its wen u get into University that u will learn English?
I said it before no southerner will ever send his kid to a school where he will be taught in local language. Wat Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by bamdly(m): 2:37pm On May 31, 2017
this would be punishment
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by konfused: 2:37pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:
So you teach a child living in Ondo mathematics in Yoruba language and he graduates and can't even get a job in Benin City that is barely 100km away because he can't communicate!!

Even China and Japan as advanced as they are have begun to teach in English in thier universities. In fact the demand for English teachers in these countries is so large that they pay them and provide housing just to make them stay.

Germans, Russians, Japanese, learn these subjects in their own language. It will be a tremendous leap for Nigeria and Africa if we can implement this strategy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:39pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:

At basic level?
Wat is d essence of basic level?
So its wen u get into University that u will learn English?
I said it before no southerner will ever send his kid to a school where he will be taught in local language. Wat Rubbish

They still have English language and literature classes.

You're jumping to conclusions and getting very upset over something that is a good idea if we're serious about getting rid of some of the ignorance in our society.

Why would no southerner send their child to a school where they will be taught in a local language when they teach their children local languages at home?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Flashmove: 2:39pm On May 31, 2017
Naija break up loading. Nigeria don't have single language to effect the law. So everyone will go back to its states of origin to make use of the local languages. Thanks for this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Timfreds(m): 2:41pm On May 31, 2017
It has become clear to all now this govt have nothing to offer. Imagine teaching maths and physics in Hausa, at d end what stand to achieve. And some here are calling it welcome devt. Nonsense!
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hollah123: 2:41pm On May 31, 2017
this method will work if n only if waec n other foreign exam bodies will set there questions in local language
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by misano(m): 2:42pm On May 31, 2017
Lloydfolarin:
Good

Let's dump this colonial language called English Language for our own.

It is impossible. In a class with different students speaking different languages. Yoruba, Igbo, Edo & Hausa. How will D teacher teach D students?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:43pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:

ur problem is low self esteem...are chinese and japanes developing because of english language?...it seems u dont know d psychological effect of trying to teach kid in secondary language rather than primary.....this is y kidsin schools in urban cities in nigeria are far better and more innovative than those in rural part of naija

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by hatchy(f): 2:45pm On May 31, 2017
It makes no sense at all.
Direction less and vision less people leading us.Instead of training teachers and providing labs and equipping the schools they want to bury science subjects finally after killing it by ill equipment labs and per ratio teachers in schools.
Policy formulation and implementation is nothing to reckon with in this country.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 31, 2017
PapiSmith:
Imagine if your maths teacher is igbo. How will he pronounce 43 in yoruba? grin

Eta lé Logoji. Na mass failure be that grin

It is a good thing...I know why I said that
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmmustapha(m): 2:46pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:
All in a bid to bring our education down to d level of northerners who rather remain illiterates than learn English. Which school in d South will accept dat Rubbish wen children at d age of 3 can flow fluently in English. Its a disgrace our educational system would have to descend so low all because we are in d same country will northerners who have vowed to remain illiterates. Other countries are looking for ways to further develop the standards of their educational system we are going back to square one. RUBBISH
which south are you talking about mumu? the same Mighty North you hate is ruling you. politically, economically and socially we are ahead of you. we dictate what to be done in this country without any coward confronting us. we are ahead of you in every aspect, go and learn HISTORY.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 31, 2017
Hahahaha..... an IMPOSSIBILITY of the highest originality. How do you define complex scientific terms in Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa? Mathematical theorems? How do you explain quantum mechanical wave function and all the related mathematical descriptions in Yoruba? As far as I know, my native language doesn't have the vocabulary to be capable of pulling this off. Far from making education easier and more interesting, it's gonna make it more difficult, tedious and soul destroying. Better to learn Science and Mathematics in English Language than in Yoruba!

And what makes it even more impossible is the fact that Nigeria is made up of hundreds of ethnic groups with different languages! During my days in school, I had Igbos, Urhobos and people speaking entirely different dialect of the Yoruba language in my class. Please oo...... If the teacher teaches Mathematics in Yoruba, how the fück are the rest expected to understand? If he teaches in Igbo, how are we Yorubas and other ethnicities expected to get it? Or are they going to sepetate them along tribal lines? A very bad idea that would be, and we all know why. This nonsense can never work. The countries they cited as examples are different. Germans all speak German, Spaniards Spanish, Russians Russian. You can't compare them to Nigeria in any way. How will you teach Fourier Analysis, Laplace Transforms, and Riemann Geometry in Yoruba? What about the details of Heinsenberg's uncertainty principle? Hehehehe..... What a joke.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:50pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

We're talking primary school level, not tertiary.

It's basic maths and science translated into a language that these children are comfortable with.

They will still need to learn English for university.

It's not the travesty that you seem to think that it is.
well said bro....its only in nigeria u see ppl think english is far superior to their local languages because of their low self esteem.......india is the biggest english speaking nation in d world.they speak and teah in hindu and english,yet they have some of the most innovative ppl in d world...the CEOs of google,microsoft,adobe,mastercad,nokia, etc are all indians with heavy indian accent when speaking,yet they are far more innovative than nigerians with heavy british accent

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 2:51pm On May 31, 2017
wizod:
Putting a square peg in a round hole. Mission impossible.
smh for u
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Lancelott(m): 2:52pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

India has over 120 different languages itself.

I can see the issues with long term with such a program but I do understand the need to ensure that people get real knowledge from an early age in a language that they are comfortable with, while they also learn the lingua franca of the country.
And is India a first world nation so you counter an argument by comparing a third world nation with another third world nation?? wow so brilliant
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Josmila(m): 2:52pm On May 31, 2017
martineverest:
who cares about english when we have our own languages?...wud u rather be happy our indegenous languages die while english language bcome a norm in nigeria?....afterall,our fathers and mothers spoke native dialets more than us when they were in schools and they could stilll speak better englishh

You don't seem to understand me, not sure you will till you have kids and communication becomes a problem
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Flashmove: 2:52pm On May 31, 2017
mmmustapha:
which south are you talking about mumu? the same Mighty North you hate is ruling you. politically, economically and socially we are ahead of you. we dictate what to be done in this country without any coward confronting us. we are ahead of you in every aspect, go and learn HISTORY.

You are attacking him for his comment, after you will say one Nigeria. Even comments here shows that Nigeria is not one.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Sabiubari(m): 2:55pm On May 31, 2017
This is what suppost to be since .....and through this the quality of education wild enhence adjustment thank minister
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:55pm On May 31, 2017
Lancelott:
And is India a first world nation so you counter an argument by comparing a third world nation with another third world nation?? wow so brilliant

No, it's not me comparing.

The minister in question used India and China as examples.

Why is this issue making some people so angry?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by DarkRebel69: 2:56pm On May 31, 2017
Will Science textbooks written in the 350+ native languages in Nigeria also be made available to facilitate and aid learning? Yes! Textbooks in each and every language must be made available as I'm certain all ethnic factions would very much like to be represented.

What about the nagging fact that our native languages are severely lacking in vocabulary when juxtaposed with say French or the English language?

Another thing; when a child is taught these subjects in his native tongue at the primary level, how is such a child supposed to make that smooth transition to easy learning and verbalization of concepts in said subjects when it is expected of him at the tertiary level to make use of a language other than the one with which he was introduced to these subjects?
Wouldn't that create unnecessary confusion?

I don't see this to be a viable posture. And frankly, if we take into account the huge amount of time and resources required to implement this policy, we'd no sooner realize that it's not at all worth it. We should begin looking at the forest for the trees, not nitpicking at trivials and chasing after a ship that has long sailed.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 2:57pm On May 31, 2017
martineverest:
well said bro....its only in nigeria u see ppl think english is far superior to their local languages because of their low self esteem.......india is the biggest english speaking nation in d world.they speak and teah in hindu and english,yet they have some of the most innovative ppl in d world...the CEOs of google,microsoft,adobe,mastercad,nokia, etc are all indians with heavy indian accent when speaking,yet they are far more innovative than nigerians with heavy british accent

Read some of the responses here.

People are getting angry and I have no clue why.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by zionmade1: 2:58pm On May 31, 2017
mmmustapha:
I don't blame u i blame d betrayers dat gave ur illiteracy and poverty infested region mouth to talk. Any yeah u guys have all d power, i hail thee, but d way poverty is punishing dat region is despicable, its as if u guys are cursed. Once illiterates always illiterates. And for ur info last time i passed thru kastina dat have produced two presidents i spat on d ground. If dat is wat ruling looks like u guys can rule forever and remain poor and illiterates
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by faksy(m): 2:58pm On May 31, 2017
i pray the glory of our indigenous languages is brought back, because those that understand these languages had been extincted.
these generation?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by zionmade1: 3:03pm On May 31, 2017
mmsen:

They still have English language and literature classes.

You're jumping to conclusions and getting very upset over something that is a good idea if we're serious about getting rid of some of the ignorance in our society.

Why would no southerner send their child to a school where they will be taught in a local language when they teach their children local languages at home?
Because we have come to identify to English language and because most southerners dream of sending their kids overseas to further their education, because the foundation of any kid matters.
Ask urself Why do they want to do it?
Is it dat d level of education in d south is not satisfactory or is because we need to stoop so low in order to draw d northerners who dont want to be educated. A system needs to be changed wen it doesnt work and as long as i know in d south d educational system is improving with speed.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Orpe7(m): 3:04pm On May 31, 2017
As long as the teacher can pass knowledge to his students am game
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by aminu790(m): 3:05pm On May 31, 2017
akwai matsala
NYSC Chaiiiiii
Corp members go teach in their villages grin
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 3:06pm On May 31, 2017
mmmustapha:

You don't dictate anything.

A small group of northerners control the north and hold it back.

Rather than confront that criminal elite you choose to attack southerners on the internet.

And it doesn't matter how many presidents that the north produces the situation will remain the same until the northern masses deal with the evil that is the traditional, religious and political leaders who have failed to do anything to bring forth development.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by mmsen: 3:08pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:

Because we have come to identify to English language and because most southerners dream of sending their kids overseas to further their education, because the foundation of any kid matters.
Ask urself Why do they want to do it?
Is it dat d level of education in d south is not satisfactory or is because we need to stoop so low in order to draw d northerners who dont want to be educated. A system needs to be changed wen it doesnt work and as long as i know in d south d educational system is improving with speed.

It isn't just northerners.

There are people in rural areas in the south who would benefit from this.

And even if it was north specific is it not better that they be educated than remain ignorant?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Zenithpeak(m): 3:12pm On May 31, 2017
The head of all our leaders in this country is good for planting weed.

They are looking for how the children of common man will be disadvantaged of intellectual capabilities to contend with their children in the future.

Check out their children, Harvard University.... L.L.B. Hons,... PHD, University of Michigan.

Can you write your SSCE exams in Yoruba and gain admission to Cambridge University?

I'd rather adopt home school system for my kids than have them undergo this freaking mentality.

Idiocy unencumbered!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by PapaBrowne(m): 3:13pm On May 31, 2017
konfused:

Germans, Russians, Japanese, learn these subjects in their own language. It will be a tremendous leap for Nigeria and Africa if we can implement this strategy.

Dude it will be no leap for Africa! And let me explain since you appear reasonable.

The number one historical reason for the backwardness of Africa is the multiplicity of languages that existed on the continent. And the reason for that multiplicity of languages is the the thick unnavigable forests that separated communities. The biggest demerit to the numerous Languages across Africa was our inability to share knowledge. Without the sharing of knowledge, growth would not exist.

Japan has 120 million people speaking Japanese. German, Austria and Switzerland have over 100 million people speaking German. China has 1 billion people speaking Mandarin. And so on and so fault.Go back to their history and you'll find that they had numerous languages but later worked out a unifying language which they now all rally around. Now, what would be the benefit of Idoma spoken by just 2 million people? The USA is the greatest country in the world. They all weren't speaking one language when the got there, but today English is the unifying language.

English is now a universal language. Anyone who doesn't speak the language is automatically disadvantaged. Germans , Russians and Japanese are aggressively learning the language!
Attempting to forcefully strengthen local languages would only create wider divisions amongst people that are already too divided.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SSANU, NASU, NAT Meet On Strike / ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike / Dead, Retired Teachers, Security Guards Passed Kaduna Teachers Screening – NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.