Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages (19283 Views)

Today I Made Use Of The Gbese And Tuesomole To Teach Maths. / Schools To Teach Maths, Science In Indigenous Languages-Onu / What Are Social Science Subjects In Secondary School..help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by martineverest(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2017
Josmila:

You don't seem to understand me, not sure you will till you have kids and communication becomes a problem
i guess u had communication problems with ur parents when they were interacting with u in local dialet

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 31, 2017
DarkRebel69:
Will Science textbooks written in the 350+ native languages in Nigeria also be made available to facilitate and aid learning? Yes! Textbooks in each and every language must be made available as I'm certain all ethnic factions would very much like to be represented.

What about the nagging fact that our native languages are severely lacking in vocabulary when juxtaposed with say French or the English language?

Another thing; when a child is taught these subjects in his native tongue at the primary level, how is such a child supposed to make that smooth transition to easy learning and verbalization of said subjects when it is expected of him in the tertiary level to make use of a language other than the one with which he was introduced to the subjects?
Wouldn't that create unnecessary confusion?

I don't see this to be a viable posture. And frankly, if we take into account the huge amount of time and resources required to implement this policy, we'd no sooner realize that it's not at all worth it. We should begin looking at the forest for the trees, not nitpicking at trivials and chasing after a ship that has long sailed.
Well said! Intelligent you. My thoughts exactly.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 31, 2017
THE NORTH HAS BEEN USING HAUSA TO TEACH ALL SUBJECTS SINCE 1914.....THEY ARE STILL 50YRS BACKWARD COMPARED TO OTHER NIGERIANS....

OGBONNAYA ONU U BE EWU AWUSA....
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by donttouch: 3:22pm On May 31, 2017
The worst thing that ever happened to Nigeria is not the colonial rule or corruption. The worst thing that happened to this country is this Administration and its intellectually bankrupt players.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 31, 2017
I go like learn MATHEMATICS in Efik...
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by konfused: 3:24pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Dude it will be no leap for Africa! And let me explain since you appear reasonable.

The number one historical reason for the backwardness of Africa is the multiplicity of languages that existed on the continent. And the reason for that multiplicity of languages is the the thick navigable forests that separated communities. The biggest demerit to the numerous Languages across Africa was our inability to share knowledge. Without the sharing of knowledge, growth would not exist.

Japan has 120 million people speaking Japanese. German, Austria and Switzerland have over 100 million people speaking german. China has 1 billion people speaking Mandarin. And so on and so fault. Now, what would be the benefit of Idoma spoken by just 2 million people? The USA is the greatest country in the world. They all weren't speaking one language when the got there, but today English is the unifying language.

English is now a universal language. Anyone who doesn't speak the language is automatically disadvantaged. Germans , Russians and Japanese are aggressively learning the language!

You have a valid point dude, hmmmmm Never thought towards that direction, but there is one thing I want you to get, our indigenous language will make understanding science from a fundamental aspect possible. Just envision being able to understand the concept of gravity using ur mother tongue. There is a guy on this forum musicwriter, he raised some valid points why our indigenous language shoiuld be used in our schools to teach sciences. If you love to know more, check him out, go to his blog and read some of the articles he has there.

There are bound to be some advantages if this noble idea is implemented.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by FromZeroToHero(m): 3:31pm On May 31, 2017
Pikin wey no go sabi maths no go sabi am. If you like teach him or her with ijaw, itshekiri, uhrobo.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Zenithpeak(m): 3:35pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Dude it will be no leap for Africa! And let me explain since you appear reasonable.

The number one historical reason for the backwardness of Africa is the multiplicity of languages that existed on the continent. And the reason for that multiplicity of languages is the the thick unnavigable forests that separated communities. The biggest demerit to the numerous Languages across Africa was our inability to share knowledge. Without the sharing of knowledge, growth would not exist.

Japan has 120 million people speaking Japanese. German, Austria and Switzerland have over 100 million people speaking German. China has 1 billion people speaking Mandarin. And so on and so fault.Go back to their history and you'll find that they had numerous languages but later worked out a unifying language which they now all rally around. Now, what would be the benefit of Idoma spoken by just 2 million people? The USA is the greatest country in the world. They all weren't speaking one language when the got there, but today English is the unifying language.

English is now a universal language. Anyone who doesn't speak the language is automatically disadvantaged. Germans , Russians and Japanese are aggressively learning the language!
Attempting to forcefully strengthen local languages would only create wider divisions amongst people that are already too divided.

I doff my hat for you. Nice submission!

It is not about any language or tribe or geo political zone.

One thing I want us to know is that THEY DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT US.

No matter how they painted it, it remains a calculated attempt to keep the general populace at bay academically, and by implication intellectually and thereby establish their dynasty while the majority lacks the will power to defend themselves at the face of oppression and depression whilst they are transferring power to their children and the rollercoaster continues.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:
The senselessness of this administration is beyond normal.
So you teach a child living in Ondo mathematics in Yoruba language and he graduates and can't even get a job in Benin City that is barely 100km away because he can't communicate!!

Even China and Japan as advanced as they are have begun to teach in English in thier universities. In fact the demand for English teachers in these countries is so large that they pay them and provide housing just to make them stay.

We need the sack the old folks sitting in Abuja!

Lol. Love dis. I pity Nigerian youths judging from most comments I read here so far. Thinking dis is a +ve move by dundy head politicians is a dull reasoning.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by WarHorse1(m): 3:36pm On May 31, 2017
I am touched by this.
I remember when I was serving (NYSE) and teaching Mathematics at Govt. Sec. Sch. Basawa, Zaria. It was JSS1 class. I found out that when i give assignments, many of the students do not do the assignment. Most of those who do the assignment got zero. One day, it occurred to me that language could be the issue. I ask the most intelligent boy in class (An Edo boy but born and brought up in Zaria) to translate my class. It was a shocking realization. I still experience tear running down from my eyes when i remember the outcome. No one got zero. the majority passed all assignments. Especially exciting were the young female students who were so happy with their scores.

This was not going to be for long as the news got to the principal. he called me and cautioned that I should never translate my classes. Only English. Angry, I told him that I will never allow my fellow man or woman to be judged literate by a foreign language. I insisted that i will have it translated. The VP of the school then called me - a woman then - and begged that I should not call for trouble. Just obey, she said. Then a teacher from Edo state but have been in the North for long told me that if the Imam does not approve it, it cannot be done and that I should stir clear from trouble.

I can't wait to see the North taught in Hausa. That will be what will liberate the north from ignorance that perpetrate terrorism and poverty.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Phi001(m): 3:43pm On May 31, 2017
konfused:

You have a valid point dude, hmmmmm Never thought towards that direction, but there is one thing I want you to get, our indigenous language will make understanding science from a fundamental aspect possible. Just envision being able to understand the concept of gravity using ur mother tongue. There is a guy on this forum musicwriter, he raised some valid points why our indigenous language shoiuld be used in our schools to teach sciences. If you love to know more, check him out, go to his blog and read some of the articles he has there.

In a class where there are at least 8-10 ethnic groups, which language should the subject be taught with?

At face value, it is brilliant, but looking deeper, you'll see that the idea is nothing but nonsensical...
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by garrimallam: 3:45pm On May 31, 2017
My Leaders will not stop amusing me, any trash that comes to their mind will be voiced out. For God sake,why do we think of building a house without foundation. To teach English, Mathematics and other sciences in Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo with which text books? Pls reference me on any local content texts books either written or translated in Igbo, Hausa or Yoruba. From reading texts to practical contents are all written in English.
My leaders should learn to do things in gradation.

zinachidi:

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/232659-nigeria-begins-moves-to-teach-maths-science-subjects-in-indigenous-languages.html
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by musicwriter(m): 3:47pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:

The number one historical reason for the backwardness of Africa is the multiplicity of languages that existed on the continent. And the reason for that multiplicity of languages is the the thick unnavigable forests that separated communities. The biggest demerit to the numerous Languages across Africa was our inability to share knowledge. Without the sharing of knowledge, growth would not exist.

Japan has 120 million people speaking Japanese. German, Austria and Switzerland have over 100 million people speaking German. China has 1 billion people speaking Mandarin. And so on and so fault.Go back to their history and you'll find that they had numerous languages but later worked out a unifying language which they now all rally around. Now, what would be the benefit of Idoma spoken by just 2 million people? The USA is the greatest country in the world. They all weren't speaking one language when the got there, but today English is the unifying language.

Attempting to forcefully strengthen local languages would only create wider divisions amongst people that are already too divided.

Our numerous language is actually an advantage not a disadvantage. Inability to share knowledge began when our lands were invaded and were shared along new national lines by European colonialists who imposed new languages upon us. If that didn't happen we would've remained in our original nation states speaking one language; like the Japanese, German, Austria and Switzerland which you cited. So, the confusion you alluded to wasn't natural, it was created by Europeans. What we intend doing now is revert to our natural languages and we'll achieve what other nations had.

No, it's not a disadvantage to Russians, Germans, Japanese not to speak English. Its just as a disadvantage to an English man (YOU) not to speak Russian, German, Japanese as is for them. By the way, nobody said English would be abolished. English would still be studied, but just like every other subject in school. That's the way it is in all the countries doing well you mentioned.

@konfused Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 31, 2017
konfused:

Sorry, but we CAN'T pull this off. Our native languages are less sophisticated than English, Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Russian, and grossly lacking in Vocabulary. You can be more articulate in these languages than you can ever be in, at least, my own native language which is Yoruba. So, that their languages could translate scientific and mathematical terms from English doesn't automatically imply that the same goes for ours. There is a wild gulf, man. This ridiculous policy can't get us anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Melonny(m): 3:50pm On May 31, 2017
this is a good move. why don't we teach the students what substitution method means in Yoruba or law of indices in Igbo.. Although, this seem an ideal but I know it's very attainable..
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by kevoh(m): 3:50pm On May 31, 2017
MadManTalking:
And how will they translate Pythagoras theorem, potassium mangagate and tetra ox o-suphate xi acid in Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa?
You don't have to translate them. Some words will be regarded as borrowed words and kept in its original state, some will be pronounced with the accent of the language. Alubosa is onion in Yoruba and Al basal is also onion in Arabic. Do you see the similarity?

English itself is not pure, it has many borrowed words too from Arabic, Latin, French, Spanish e.t.c some kept in its original state

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ojlifa: 4:00pm On May 31, 2017
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by benjibabs(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2017
This was implemented in Oyo state back in the 90s (if I remember correctly). I remember my dad laughing when my little sister came home with a book titled 'Matimatiiki.' grin grin grin Since the program died a natural death I can only wonder what had changed.

In my opinion, this is sheer waste of time and resources. Nigeria has been teaching in English for Donkey's years and very successful at it. How did they even arrive at the conclusion that studying in English is leading to lost of interest in Science? The reason for lost of interest is so glaring that one does not even need to conduct any study to see it. When a science student does not have access to furnished labs; even where there is something like a lab, there is no electricity to power the equipment (if any). This is just to scratch the surface of the myriad issues besetting our science students. How could there be interest, when students cannot practice what they are learning. Science is not like literature etc where you read to understand; practical is an integral part of science curriculum. Gone are days when we did not only have well equipped labs, but even fully furnished workshops for metal and wood works in secondary schools. Apple recently rolled out a coding curriculum for students in Kindergarten to high school with various free apps for practice; even non-science student will jump at the opportunity to learn coding simply because all they need to learn has been provided.

To me, this is just another boondoggle that our government is embarking on. Will keep watching in 3D. cool
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by samsono30: 4:04pm On May 31, 2017
this guy is a ram, in fact this guy is trying to divide Nigeria the more. More Nigerians will loose their teaching job. so what language will minority tribe teach with now? Zombie language? stupid APC ram. As if this is the problem facing Nigerian Education. just imagine u explain 6 raise to power 2 in Yoruba. you will now say GBE MEFA SOKE SI AGBARA MEJI.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by PapaBrowne(m): 4:05pm On May 31, 2017
musicwriter:

Our numerous language is actually an advantage not a disadvantage. Inability to share knowledge began when our lands were invaded and were shared along new national lines by European colonialists who imposed a new languages upon us. If that didn't happen we would've remained in our original nation states speaking one language; like Japanese, German, Austria and Switzerland which you cited. So, the confusion you alluded to wasn't natural, it was created by Europeans. What we intend doing now is revert to our natural languages and we'll achieve what other nations had.

No, it's not a disadvantage to Russians, Germans, Japanese not to speak English. Its just as a disadvantage to an English man (YOU) not to speak Russian, German, Japanese as is for them.

@konfused Thanks

Share with me the advantages our numerous languages have brought us. I would like to know them. The reason the Europeans could come conquer us in the first place was our numerous languages. Its difficult to conquer people who speak with one voice.
Nairaland is a good example that mirrors the disadvantages of our numerous languages. The only reason Ibos identify as Ibo and Yorubas identify as Yoruba and curse themselves senseless here on Nairaland is the simple fact that their mother tongue is different. Their physical genetics are the same. Their cultures are very similar to an outsider. Their characteristics and behavioral patterns are same. The only difference: their mother tongue. And thats the reason for all the hate and lack of progress.

It is a disadvantage to anyone seeking to engage in business internationally to not speak English. You would loose deals and your business will keep shrinking no matter how good you are. The Japs and Germans and Chinese are smart. They are learning English at an alarming rate.

We need to understand human progress to be able to make progress. And the recommendation from the old men ruling us is antithetical to progress.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by musicwriter(m): 4:05pm On May 31, 2017
PaztorAYO:
Sorry, but we CAN'T pull this off. Our native languages are less sophisticated than English, Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Russian, and grossly lacking in Vocabulary. You can be more articulate in these languages than you can ever be in, at least, my own native language which is Yoruba. So, that there languages could translate scientific and mathematical terms from English doesn't automatically imply that the same goes for ours. There is a wild gulf, man. This ridiculous policy can't get us anywhere.

Do you know 90% of the words and terminologies in your science class are not English? Do you know Britain once did exactly what our FG is proposing today?

For your information, the same argument you have above was the same argument educated people in Britain itself were making when Britain wanted to get back it's language to begin learning sciences in English. They also considered English an insufficient language for learning science!. It was Isaac Newton that pressed them in a meeting of scholars in 1616 to adopt English as their official language for learning science. They did so. What's the result today? Is English still lacking words to study science?

Of course, the above assumes you know Britain was also once colonized by Germans, French, Spanish, Rome, and that they once spoke the language of their captors.

Nothing is wrong with our native languages. As a mater of fact, I' am really ashamed you are writing this as a Yoruba man. If you think English is better than Yoruba, that's because the language is being destroyed by non-use. I' am not a Yoruba, but my research shows the Yoruba language is one of the best language on earth, but of course if you leave any language in preference of another language, you'll lose the capacity to create new words and the language may even die.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by PapaBrowne(m): 4:12pm On May 31, 2017
konfused:

It might be an interesting try. I would really like to know the benefits beyond art. But I affirm that on a grand scale of social development and growth, the negative impact would by far outweigh the benefits.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Nobody: 4:14pm On May 31, 2017
musicwriter:

Do you know 90% of the words and terminologies in your science class are not English? Do you know Britain once did exactly what our FG is proposing today?

For your information, the same argument you have above was the same argument educated people in Britain itself were making when Britain wanted to get back it's language to begin learning sciences in English. They also considered English an insufficient language for learning science!. It was Isaac Newton that pressed them in a meeting of scholars in 1616 to adopt English as their official language for learning science. They did so. What's the result today? Is English still lacking words to study science?

Of course, the above assumes you know Britain was also once colonized by Germans, French, Spanish, Rome, and that they once spoke the language of their captors.

Nothing is wrong with our native languages. As a mater of fact, I' am really ashamed you are writing this as a Yoruba man. If you think English is better than Yoruba, that's because the language is being destroyed by non-use. I' am not a Yoruba, but my research shows the Yoruba language is one of the best language on earth, but of course if you leave any language in preference of another language, you'll lose the capacity to create new words and the language may even die.
Haha.....! Let me agree that this defeats my argument. But classes in Nigerian schools are made up of students of more than a single ethnicity. How would a teacher teach in Yoruba in a class made up of students of different ethnicities? How are we to circumvent this problem?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Josmila(m): 4:15pm On May 31, 2017
martineverest:
i guess u had communication problems with ur parents when they were interacting with u in local dialet

I forbid you from bringing my parents into this discuss, don't stupid please. This is simply a discuss between you and I, if you can't be civil while at it, we can end it now please. Have I made myself clear enough son?
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by ebby9z(m): 4:20pm On May 31, 2017
zionmade1:
All in a bid to bring our education down to d level of northerners who rather remain illiterates than learn English. Which school in d South will accept dat Rubbish wen children at d age of 3 can flow fluently in English. Its a disgrace our educational system would have to descend so low all because we are in d same country will northerners who have vowed to remain illiterates. Other countries are looking for ways to further develop the standards of their educational system we are going back to square one. RUBBISH
With due respect, sir,you don't know what you are saying. In the 70s, a pilot study was conducted in the then University of Ife using primary 1 students. Many parents protested and withdrew their wards from the class. At the end of the project, all the pupils passed their Common entrance Examination in flying colours because they were taught all the subjects in their indigenous languages. The research results were submitted to the Oyo state government. Unfortunately Osun state was created out of Oyo state and the then new administrators claimed they had a lot of issues on their hand and couldn't be bothered about any research result implementation.

China, India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Spain, Korea all teach in their indigenous languages, hence their advance in science and technology.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by konfused: 4:24pm On May 31, 2017
PaztorAYO:
Sorry, but we CAN'T pull this off. Our native languages are less sophisticated than English, Chinese, Japanese, German, French, Russian, and grossly lacking in Vocabulary. You can be more articulate in these languages than you can ever be in, at least, my own native language which is Yoruba. So, that their languages could translate scientific and mathematical terms from English doesn't automatically imply that the same goes for ours. There is a wild gulf, man. This ridiculous policy can't get us anywhere.

Dude, I believe necessity is the mother of invention. In the 18th century there was no word like "internet'", so I strongly believe the more we use our languages, it will evolve to cover for the lapses you see presently.
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by Maxwell011(m): 4:26pm On May 31, 2017
It's well
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by musicwriter(m): 4:30pm On May 31, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Share with me the advantages our numerous languages have brought us. I would like to know them. The reason the Europeans could come conquer us in the first place was our numerous languages. Its difficult to conquer people who speak with one voice.
Nairaland is a good example that mirrors the disadvantages of our numerous languages. The only reason Ibos identify as Ibo and Yorubas identify as Yoruba and curse themselves senseless here on Nairaland is the simple fact that their mother tongue is different. Their physical genetics are the same. Their cultures are very similar to an outsider. Their characteristics and behavioral patterns are same. The only difference: their mother tongue. And thats the reason for all the hate and lack of progress.

It is a disadvantage to anyone seeking to engage in business internationally to not speak English. You would loose deals and your business will keep shrinking no matter how good you are. The Japs and Germans and Chinese are smart. They are learning English at an alarming rate.

We need to understand human progress to be able to make progress. And the recommendation from the old men ruling us is antithetical to progress.

Africa was not conquered because we speak many languages. We were conquered because the branch of the human family originating from the caucus mountains evolved with a different philosophy of life that included one taking what does not belong to them. Secluded in the ice region for thousands of years, they evolved being xenophobic, greedy, anarchist, militaristic in nature. They were later to use their military nature to conquer NOT ONLY AFRICA, but also Asia and the Americas. They also conquered China, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, South America, even Japan for a limited time. This's a long history I don't want to get into right now, its a full information that should be taught in school as a course. And if you're ready listen to the below lecture by a British professor of history explaining the origin and nature of white people. He was being brutally honest up to 13:00 of the lecture. So, if you want to watch don't go beyond 13:00 as he later started lying praising the white race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZLD31C3cdE

Assuming you've seen the video, black people in Africa and other regions in the tropics evolved exactly with opposite philosophy of life. We were loving, welcoming, humane. As they say "good guy finish last" that's exactly what happened to us, and I'll argue its still happening to us today.

Now, to respond to your immediate concern, what the FG is proposing is to have us speak in one voice. We would speak in one voice when we master our native languages. When that is done, instead of Nairaland, you'll then have YORUBALAND, IGBOLAND, HAUSALAND as a forum where those cultures would talk about their issues in their own way- a real local content Nairaland!.

Again, nobody is saying English should be prohibited in school. English would still be studied, but just as a subject in school; like every other subject. THIS IS THE SAME WAY THE COUNTRIES YOU CITE AS ADVANCED DO IT.

NOTE: This post has been escalated on my blog. See Why Europeans Were Able to Conquer Africa And the Rest of the World http://www.africason.com/2017/09/why-europeans-were-able-to-conquer.html

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by zionmade1: 4:36pm On May 31, 2017
ebby9z:

With due respect, sir,you don't know what you are saying. In the 70s, a pilot study was conducted in the then University of Ife using primary 1 students. Many parents protested and withdrew their wards from the class. At the end of the project, all the pupils passed their Common entrance Examination in flying colours because they were taught all the subjects in their indigenous languages. The research results were submitted to the Oyo state government. Unfortunately Osun state was created out of Oyo state and the then new administrators claimed they had a lot of issues on their hand and couldn't be bothered about any research result implementation.

China, India, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Spain, Korea all teach in their indigenous languages, hence their advance in science and technology.
"they all passed Common entrance" in my Primary school days we all passed common entrance. Let dem also all pass WAEC. RUBBISH. Those country u mentioned have scholars and are very much equiped. Instead of developing our education first to a world standard before talking about language, we are here experimenting with passing common entrance
Re: Nigeria To Teach Maths, Science Subjects In Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, Other Languages by musicwriter(m): 4:38pm On May 31, 2017
PaztorAYO:
Haha.....! Let me agree that this defeats my argument. But classes in Nigerian schools are made up of students of more than a single ethnicity. How would a teacher teach in Yoruba in a class made up of students of different ethnicities? How are we to circumvent this problem?

That's a small problem. The only reason it even appear to you as a problem is because this is new.

Education can still occur in our various native languages even in present Nigeria. The curriculum may remain the same nationwide, but the actual knowledge acquisition would happen in our various native languages. So, if you're Igbo, you'll learn and write your exams in Igbo. If you're Yoruba, you learn and write your exams in Yoruba. E.T.C.

In fact, Jehovah's witnesses are already doing so, and I snapped the below pictures from their stand sometime as as a proof. They publish their watchtower and awake magazines in various languages, but all of them are saying exactly the same thing, while the knowledge acquisition itself happen in the languages of the readers. Education acquired in mother's tongue is the true meaning of education.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/5390733_jw_jpeg9c7ecde3f656ee3377fc53aff4e9fd70

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ASUU Strike Update: BUK Kano, UI, ABSU, ATBU Others Voted To Continue Strike / Dead, Retired Teachers, Security Guards Passed Kaduna Teachers Screening – NLC / I Was Very Sad When I Had A B, Says Graduate With 4.99 Cgpa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.