Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,494 members, 7,830,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

I Do Not Believe in God - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Do Not Believe in God (31693 Views)

Poll: Do you believe in God?

Yes: 81% (105 votes)
No: 18% (24 votes)
This poll has ended

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / What Nigerians Think Of People Who Do NOT Believe In God? / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Do Not Believe in God by 4getme1(m): 2:10am On Apr 20, 2006
Sorry O, my dear. If you cannot open your eyes and see how people have been healed by the power of God, the solid evidence of his existence you're waiting for will continue to elude you.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by clemsonfan(m): 5:53pm On Apr 20, 2006
[size=14pt]@NFERYN[/size],
My name is daniel and i am a Christian and would like to say this, Everything that "NICETOHAVE" has been telling you is the TRUTH. The reason i say this is because you said that GOD will have to show or prove himself to you, right? Well, God gave you the free will for many reasons, yes he also gave you the ability to understand and comprehend everything in your life and the world around you, But he also expects you to believe in him. God will never Show or Prove Himself to you PHYSICALLY, BUT he will show himself to you through prayer. By this I mean that If you pray a solemn and meaning full prayer to God asking him to direct you in your life and ask him to guide and direct you to the way that HE would have you to go, then he will definatley answer your prayer. God loves you, Nferyn, and everyone else for that matter,  he loves you so much that he sent his only son, JESUS, to be crucified on the cross at calvary, to die for OUR SINS, that is why we can freely pray to god and ask him to forgive us of our sins without having to sacrifice a lamb such as they did back thousands of years ago. That is why I say this, YOU MUST HAVE FAITH IN GOD, Because you will never see God  PHYSICALLY, but you will find God Spiritually, IF you trust in him and ask him to come into your Heart, then he will, and you will be saved. But, to be saved you MUST BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED ON THE CROSS FOR YOUR SINS, And that he is your savior. So, I BEG you, Please go to a local church and talk with the pastor or priest and talk with him about what I've told you. PLEASE act now, because as a Christian, I do not want you to die and be tormented in hell for the rest of eternity.    Please reply. grin cheesy
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 4:14pm On Jul 18, 2006
there's is a GOD ohhh whether ALLAH or gods. there's a SUPREME BEING like it or not
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 4:54pm On Jul 18, 2006
kellorah:

there's is a GOD ohhh whether ALLAH or gods. there's a SUPREME BEING like it or not
And how do you know?
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 4:55pm On Jul 18, 2006
because we don't just exist. something made us for a reason. and when i ask for stuff,HE gives me what i what. not exactly when i ask, but i do get it in the end cheesy
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 5:00pm On Jul 18, 2006
kellorah:

because we don't just exist.
Why not?

kellorah:

something made us for a reason.
Why?

kellorah:

and when i ask for stuff,HE gives me what i what. not exactly when i ask, but i do get it in the end cheesy
Standard perception bias. The power of prayer has always crumbled under control experiments.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 5:07pm On Jul 18, 2006
i don't exactly have proof but i'll stick to what i believe in.

we'll see for ourselves, on the last day! wink
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2006
kellorah:

i don't exactly have proof but i'll stick to what i believe in.
Yeah, sure. Belief in God is irrational, but it may be justifiable on other grounds. Go with what you feel is best for you wink

kellorah:

we'll see for ourselves, on the last day! wink
Which last day?
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 5:40pm On Jul 18, 2006
JUDGEMENT DAY I BELIEVE grin
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2006
kellorah:

JUDGEMENT DAY I BELIEVE grin
Another one of these fairy-tales to scare the children undecided
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 5:52pm On Jul 18, 2006
nferyn:

Another one of these fairy-tales to scare the children undecided
lol.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by Hugoboi(m): 5:56pm On Jul 18, 2006
I really get amazed @ the kind of stuff i read here.Sumone calling the bible old skool and stuff and still claiming toblive in judgement day.Please WHo ARE U??, DR JEKYLL or MRS HYDE!!
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2006
hugoboi,leave me alone. youve been on my case all day.
NL is all about opinion. EACH TO HIS OWN OOOOOO
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hugoboi:

I really get amazed @ the kind of stuff i read here.Sumone calling the bible old school and stuff and still claiming toblive in judgement day.Please WHo ARE U??, DR JEKYLL or MRS HYDE!!
Why are you bugging her? If you have anything to contribute, maybe you should do just that.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2006
exactly!!!!
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2006
Hugoboi:

HONESTLY I THINK YOU ARE THE ONE BUGGING, GET OFF MY D**K
Seems that you are a master of words. Maybe you can redirect that skill towards contributing to the topic instead of bragging about your privates.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2006
nferyn:

Seems that you are a master of words. Maybe you can redirect that skill towards contributing to the topic instead of bragging about your privates.
LMAO. I LIKE THAT!!!!!!
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by macalurs(m): 3:14am On Nov 22, 2006
Q.E.D I like being the last to post on threads like this grin
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by shango(m): 7:18am On Nov 22, 2006
nferyn puts all his belief in scientific theories. Like they are the be all and end all of explanations of the workings of the universe and like they have not undergone modification and revision and debunking all through history.

I gave the example of Newtons law of gravity which was the foundation and basis of several scientific discoveries and how with Einsteins theory of relativity it had to be revised as it only approximated physical observations in certain frames of references.

Now this fool is trying to purpot that the Big Bang theory isnt a theory and he claims to know what is a law and what is a theory. Noone needs to readup on the scientific method except yourself. If you knew what the scientific method was you wouldnt say the Big Bang theory wasnt a theory in the classical sense, same with your similar claim for the Theory of Evolution.

Your mind is so closed and your views are so rigid and constricted its disgusting. You really provide nothing to these forum except trying to inflict your superiority complex and unleash it to whomever you can.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 3:55pm On Nov 22, 2006
shango:

nferyn puts all his belief in scientific theories. Like they are the be all and end all of explanations of the workings of the universe and like they have not undergone modification and revision and debunking all through history.
It's sad to see you know so little about the scientific method. Theories are always frameworks that explain the evidence and observations and of course they constantly undergo revision and are sometimes replaced by new theories. You unfortunately do not seem to understand that rival theories should explain the available evidence and observation better and that the existing theories need to be falsified in some respect for that to happen.

shango:

I gave the example of Newtons law of gravity which was the foundation and basis of several scientific discoveries and how with Einsteins theory of relativity it had to be revised as it only approximated physical observations in certain frames of references.
Yes, and? I wonder when it will enter your thick skull that laws are descriptive and theories are explanative.

shango:

Now this fool is trying to purpot that the Big Bang theory isnt a theory
Where have I done that? Maybe you should attend a reading comprehension 101 course.

shango:

and he claims to know what is a law and what is a theory.
At very least I understand it better than you

shango:

Noone needs to readup on the scientific method except yourself. If you knew what the scientific method was you wouldnt say the Big Bang theory wasnt a theory in the classical sense, same with your similar claim for the Theory of Evolution.
Persecution complex, someone?
Anyway, I never said the Big Bang Theory wasn't a theory and I have no clue what your overactive mind imagines my claim concerning the TOE to be.

shango:

Your mind is so closed and your views are so rigid and constricted its disgusting.
Pot, Kettle anyone?
Maybe you could give some evidence of my closed mind instead of repeating your idiotic assertions?

shango:

You really provide nothing to these forum except trying to inflict your superiority complex and unleash it to whomever you can.
Coming from you, I'll consider that a compliment grin
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by macalurs(m): 3:15am On Nov 23, 2006
Sorry O, my dear. If you cannot open your eyes and see how people have been healed by the power of God, the solid evidence of his existence you're waiting for will continue to elude you.

They were healed by the power their minds/brains had.

Read up on belief mechanisms of the brain, and it's self healing capability too. Whatever the mind thinks to be true, it makes true.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by allonym: 2:19am On Jan 22, 2007
At the most basic level, my belief in God is just as valid as Nferyn's unbelief.

Many questions about life and the origin of it or the origin of the universe cannot be proven. As a result, if you advocate any single explanation, you MUST make a conscious decision to ignore the lack of evidence.

No matter how much one disagrees with one side or another, with current human knowledge a belief or lack thereof in God is equally valid.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 9:22pm On Jan 25, 2007
Nferyn, r u a Marxist? cheesy
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 11:43pm On Jan 25, 2007
kellorah:

Nferyn, r u a Marxist? cheesy
No, why would you think that?
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 11:45pm On Jan 25, 2007
nferyn:

No, why would you think that?

u sound like one, like my teacher!!
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by fadenike(f): 3:07pm On Jan 26, 2007
I WANT TO ANNOUNCE TO U THAT UR NO BELIEVE CANNOT CHANGE WHO GOD HIS, IF U DO NOT YET BELIEVE IN GOD,
HE REMAIN LORD OF ALL. THE EARY U BELIEVE D BETTER U BECOME.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by nferyn(m): 8:42pm On Jan 26, 2007
kellorah:

u sound like one, like my teacher!!
I hope you like your teacher grin
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by kellorah: 4:47pm On Jan 27, 2007
nferyn:

I hope you like your teacher grin
yep, very much!! cheesy
he's really intelligent.
sometimes, he makes me think like a Marxist.
But because of my belief in God, i guess i'm a functionalist! lipsrsealed
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by Nnenna1(f): 5:55am On Feb 04, 2007
@Nferyn, KAG, and other whoever whoever atheists:

Christians (or, let me generalize and say Theists) are just as correct in believing in the afterlife as you are in not believing in it.

I'm a Christian but I'm not jumping into the bandwagon with others (at least, I think I'm not, so if others have said something similar, then oh well). Thus I'll throw in a few caveats:

What evidence do you have for the cessation of existence upon death? And how exactly does the "lack of proof" for God's existence actually deny his existence? These questions have been posted (in many ways) time after time by others and none of you have provided conclusive answers for them.

Using evidence or lack thereof as reasons are invalid (sorry Allonym) when formally arguing about matters that do not, in and of themselves, concern evidence. God, as defined by everyone, is not tangible. Please let's cut out the "evidence" crap when discussing God and ADMIT that we're all being motivated by personal beliefs and convictions.

Like a scene from a horror movie, You're just as "in the dark" as we are.

For all your intellectual bickerings, how do you know that we're all not just floating brains in jars? Or that, in actuality, God isn't Mickey Mouse or a talking telephone?

As implausible as my examples might sound, they show the lack of absolutes when discussing matters of the afterlife and God himself. Athiesm is not the ideal--it is the just as much of a choice as theism or religion. Let everyone find his or her own way of making peace with himself or herself. If the starter of this thread decides not to believe to God, then Godspeed (ha) to him.

I don't know if it's me, but I feel that sometimes the athiest pos(t)ers in the religious section act like elitist jerks.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by KAG: 7:05pm On Feb 04, 2007
Nnenna1:

@Nferyn, KAG, and other whoever whoever atheists:

Christians (or, let me generalize and say Theists) are just as correct in believing in the afterlife as you are in not believing in it.

Perhaps.

I'm a Christian but I'm not jumping into the bandwagon with others (at least, I think I'm not, so if others have said something similar, then oh well). Thus I'll throw in a few caveats:

What evidence do you have for the cessation of existence upon death?

Scientifically speaking, I would say the cessation of the brain and functions of the brain could be evidence that life and all it entails stops at death.

And how exactly does the "lack of proof" for God's existence actually deny his existence? These questions have been posted (in many ways) time after time by others and none of you have provided conclusive answers for them.

I'd like to use an analogy, if I may: Many have claimed the Lochness monster exists, however evidence for the monster is severely lacking, and what's more there are naturalistic explanations with evidence that potentially rule out the existence of the Lochness monster. However, that doesn't mean one may not exist - though extremely improbable. It simply means that the evidence suggests one doesn't exist and you need faith to believe one exists.

Using evidence or lack thereof as reasons are invalid (sorry Allonym) when formally arguing about matters that do not, in and of themselves, concern evidence. God, as defined by everyone, is not tangible.

I disagree. Many have described God(s) as tangible and it certainly wouldn't be wrong to ask for evidence for what they claim. Furthermore, many supernaturall entity can be described in one shape or another as intangible entities, however, as soon as the entities are given some form of description and given attributes, then it isn't wrong to ask for evidence for the existence of entities (once it is claimed they are real).

Please let's cut out the "evidence" crap when discussing God and ADMIT that we're all being motivated by personal beliefs and convictions.

Of course we are all motivated by beliefs and perhaps convictions, but that shouldnn't impact on requests for evidence for one's assertions.

Like a scene from a horror movie, You're just as "in the dark" as we are.

That's debatable.

For all your intellectual bickerings, how do you know that we're all not just floating brains in jars? Or that, in actuality, God isn't Mickey Mouse or a talking telephone?[/qupte]

We don't, but for the sake of discussions and our perception of logic, we have to assume that reality is as we perceive it. Also, Mickey is God.

As implausible as my examples might sound, they show the lack of absolutes when discussing matters of the afterlife and God himself. Athiesm is not the ideal--it is the just as much of a choice as theism or religion. Let everyone find his or her own way of making peace with himself or herself. If the starter of this thread decides not to believe to God, then Godspeed (ha) to him.

Fair enough, although I think most of my posts inthis thread had to do with some Biblical myths and science.

I don't know if it's me, but I feel that sometimes the athiest pos(t)ers in the religious section act like elitist jerks.

It happens.
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by dblock(m): 4:05am On Feb 11, 2007
I've come up with a theory that I hope can turn some people around, it turned me around. Scientists say that religion is just something made up for human benefit and security. Well I say, if religion is wrong and the Bing Bang is indeed right then they should explain their theory even more, I've got a couple of questions

(1) The Big Bang Theory is said to be how the universe emerged, it is said to have emerged becuase of a tremendously hot and dense state, Okay let's just say I believe in this theory, but How were the Gas particles that started of the reaction created and who created them, was it another Big Bang, A previous One?
(2) Was Time also created by a Big Bang?
(3) Was Space also created by a Big Bang?
(4) What was the first thing in the Space and how was it created?
(5) Is every thing that we can see or feel on any planet in any part of Space created by a big Bang, if so, then how was the Big Bang created, if the things that created it, were created by it.
Which brings me to a conclusion, that Christianity coexists with science, but Science doens't beam over Christainity. A aby being born is science but it is God that makes this science possible and all science possible, but if scientists and much more specifically physicists insist that religion and in particulat Christiniaty reamins nothing but utter nonsense, then let them answer my questions wink
Re: I Do Not Believe in God by KAG: 4:36am On Feb 11, 2007
dblock:

I've come up with a theory that I hope can turn some people around, it turned me around. Scientists say that religion is just something made up for human benefit and security. Well I say, if religion is wrong and the Bing Bang is indeed right then they should explain their theory even more, I've got a couple of questions

Ignoring what you think scientists say about religion, I'd like to point out that you are setiing a false dichotomy. It isn't an either/or thing. Religion doesn't automatically become right if the Big Bang theory is unknown, and vice versa.

(1) The Big Bang Theory is said to be how the universe emerged, it is said to have emerged becuase of a tremendously hot and dense state, Okay let's just say I believe in this theory, but How were the Gas particles that started of the reaction created and who created them, was it another Big Bang, A previous One?

Not exactly. The classic Big Bang theory is that the Universe expanded from a singularity. Gas came after the expansion (see: nucleosynthesis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_nucleosynthesis)

(2) Was Time also created by a Big Bang?
(3) Was Space also created by a Big Bang?

Yes and yes.

(4) What was the first thing in the Space and how was it created?

Most likely subatomic particles. Energy fluctuations.

(5) Is every thing that we can see or feel on any planet in any part of Space created by a big Bang, if so, then how was the Big Bang created, if the things that created it, were created by it.

Could you rephrase your question? I couldn't parse it.

Which brings me to a conclusion, that Christianity coexists with science, but Science doens't beam over Christainity.

How did you reach that conclusion?

A aby being born is science but it is God that makes this science possible and all science possible,

I would have thought conceiving is nature and science is the study of nature, but I guess I could be wrong. Do you have anything to back up that which you've claimed (it is God that makes this science possible and all science possible)?

but if scientists and much more specifically physicists insist that religion and in particulat Christiniaty reamins nothing but utter nonsense, then let them answer my questions wink

Dichotomies and untrue assumptions make for a bad argument.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply)

Pastor Tunde Bakare And His Wife, Olayide (Photos) / Reasons Why You Need To Pray Before Leaving Your House / Pastor Adeboye Arrives Uyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.