Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body (35767 Views)

Why Garri Is One Of The Mostly Consumed Staples In West Africa / Farmfat Garri And Fufu / Why Tomatoes Are Always Expensive From May Till July And The Glut In August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by 360frolic(m): 1:44pm On Jun 02, 2017
According to Segun Adewumi, President of the Nigeria Cassava Growers Association, the recent reduction in cassava supply and increased cost of cassava products is due to herdsmen attacks on farms.

“It has been a very difficult time for cassava farmers in Nigeria because of the incessant attacks by herdsmen, who make it difficult for them to go to their farms.

“Farmers are afraid to go and cultivate; some farmers have lost their lives for venturing into the farms.

He said “garri”, flour, “fufu”, starch and semolina had become more costly, because these attacks caused cassava farmers to stop farming in some parts of the country.

Also, insurance firms did not compensate the affected farmers because policies taken by the farmers did not cover malicious damage to farms, he said.

A small paint bucket measure of cassava flakes, otherwise known as ‘Garri’, costs between N900 and N1,100, depending on the location in Lagos metropolis.

A 60kg bag of the commodity costs between N11,000 and N12, 500 at the Mushin Oloosa Market, depending on the quality.

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/06/why-garri-semo-and-fufu-are-now-more.html

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Origin(f): 1:49pm On Jun 02, 2017
That's why it is N500 in Ogun ibadan Ondo but N1000 in Lagos.

Have they been attacking Lagos farmers too?

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affected.

61 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by subtlemee(f): 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2017
I tire for this country o

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ayindejimmy(m): 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

Please tell us precise locations of this attacks and the number of people affected.

Do you mind those ppl?

I've never heard of herdsmen attack in Ondo, Ogun, Oyo and Osun o!
Those Garri sellers have Union and the union dictates the price to their advantage
If the government doesn't implement price, control we'll just continue to suffer.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Arian11(m): 2:51pm On Jun 02, 2017
mtchewww....i swear ba they should just round up all the whole herdsme...n all of them in nigeria....make a large man made lake ...but instead of water it should be fuel...drop all of them inside and burn them to crisp....i mean wtf with this herdsmen....and their oga President Buhari is in london.

as im typing this im f*#king angry

9 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by taylor88(m): 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
I was so sad seeing ibe kachikwu dancing today

chaiii can't hold the tears

he was loved by many

RIP sir

u will forever be remembered

4 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by maberry(m): 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
I blame buhari for this angry

13 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by sleemfesh: 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
And we have a country ready to shoot people on a peaceful protest and send military helos over areas where people decided they will stay home to commemorate a day dear to them.

Nigeria is...

3 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Moreoffaith(m): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Kukuma kill us now.

shebi una wan increase fuel price self

by the time Nigerians wake up from their slumber all of una go sneak out of this country ni.

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by taylor88(m): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

an attack to BH and herdsmen is attack to the north

buhari

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by taylor88(m): 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

if ur looking for whom to attack do d needful

go to Abuja house in UK

d vegetable is there

4 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
They are in high demand abroad
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by dadavivo: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Wetin we do Buhari, food na gold now.

11 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by ucmini: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Loljdjdi
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by MrGreenMavro: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
angry

I was about creating a trend like this today but network no gree me...garri wey i dy buy 250-350 per ike last 2 years don turn 1200 and 1000 with abeg, now adays na measurement i dy use soak garri.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by yankeedude(m): 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
Sad
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

Those Garri sellers have Union and the union dictates the price to their advantage
If the government doesn't implement price, control we'll just continue to suffer.
Nigeria is a nation in confusion.

2 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by catherineokezie(f): 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by BigBelleControl(m): 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
At last, the price of garri has been affected.

10 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2017
Prepare to import garri soon!

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by DeKen: 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
Origin:

ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

I won't dispute the fact that market unions can capitalize on situations to their advantage, but have you wondered why they would choose to do so with such drastic increase at this time? Do you realize that when there is scarcity in a particular part of the country some dealers will go to markets in other states that they don't normally go to for supply? When there is surge in demand in those places that there were no attacks, there is bound to be increase in price (Simply demand and supply economics). About a week ago, my Aunt who sells foodstuff said her supplier came back from her purchase trip empty, not even a single bag to buy. At the time the price got up by about 30%, but it has come down a bit, but still on the high side.

When the herdsmen attack went on so long without being checked, I had feared this will be the outcome and I'm not surprised. It even made me to start a farm in my state which does not yet have attacks. I just pray it remains so.

Juanthenairague:
Serious review on price control needed, if not....
Instead of dealing with the herdsmen problem, you are advocating price control? Do you realize that with the risk now involved in farming if the price is not favorable most people will run away from farming? Would you also force the farmers to plant?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by udysweet(f): 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
I jus tire for this country o, if I get way to relocate I will. Coincidentally I'm just heading home from oyingbo Market where I bought for 1100 paint bucket. If common garri is above the means of the common man, wetin remains mbok

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by stevolinkon40: 2:55pm On Jun 02, 2017
ayindejimmy:

Do you mind those ppl?

It's better you discuss what you know.
Fulani cattle rearers ate up my dad's faRM a month old leaving nothing behind over 5hectares in oyo state

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Ogashub(m): 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
:Ps
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Jabioro: 2:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
We have to address the of unionism, we have to address taxes and transportation if we really ready to make food stuff available in Lagos
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Onlyfrozenjim(m): 2:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
I don't even knw what to ttpe
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 02, 2017
Babe, where did u get ur analysis from. Here in akungba akoko in ondo state, it is #900
Origin:

4 Likes

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by jmoore(m): 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
Fulani herdsmen are the only group that have started restructuring for their own good.

Others are folding their hands.

undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Juanthenairague: 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
Serious review on price control needed, if not....
Re: Why Garri, Semo And Fufu Are Now More Expensive - Farmers' Body by Judolisco(m): 2:58pm On Jun 02, 2017
Abeg na because say everything don cost Pple Dat sell garri won't eat again ba

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Women Go To Farm With Weapon To Protect Selves From Bandits / EU Ban On Nigerian Food Exports / Cost Of Raising 100 Hundred Broilers In My Home-made Poultry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.