Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,368 members, 7,819,320 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business (14641 Views)

A Police Officer Wants To Quit Over Poor Pay / Should I Resign My Good Bank Job And Start A Business? / 5 Ways To Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by Ayanfeoluwaoba(f): 7:50am On Jun 05, 2017
While I agree with you on this, let me also remind you that the owner of any business is expected to be available at the teething stage.

hopefulLandlord:
most businesses don't need you quitting a job before starting them
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by robosky02(m): 7:52am On Jun 05, 2017
interesting...
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by judedwriter(m): 7:52am On Jun 05, 2017
The major problem is many people hate their jobs; if i love my job why should i quit and start a business? The issue is not starting businesses but doing what you love. If i hate my job, then i am just a responsible glorfied slave-and that is what many employed Nigerians are. Find a job you love and grow in it till you can create yours. Not everone can be business people.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by ebby9z(m): 7:53am On Jun 05, 2017
I look at top company executives with their big salaries and bonuses, yet I see most of them don't enjoy their lives because at that level, you're under pressure, you still can't decide when if to close early or just go on vacation at any time of the year. Truth be told. Working for anther till retirement is like spending ones life actualising other's dreams

3 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by sonsomegrigbo: 7:54am On Jun 05, 2017
Ezedon:
Even without capital?

yes!

all you need is your common sense, determination, being observant and the greatest of all, attitude.

Use your prayer ability to crown it up.

I did this and it really worked and working for me...
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by irumanle(m): 7:58am On Jun 05, 2017
Tayeni:
That's one myth that needs to die especially in a tough business environment likebnigeria....where everyone is out to swindle everyone
Only employer of labour will understand you.
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by sunnyside16(m): 8:00am On Jun 05, 2017
Ezedon:
Even without capital?

HElp me ask
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by sunnyside16(m): 8:01am On Jun 05, 2017
Everyone cannot be an enterpreneur......people must work for people for it all to move.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by iykepromotions: 8:01am On Jun 05, 2017
Benjom:
Don't quit your job if you're not creative o.
very correct.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by vislabraye(m): 8:15am On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:
If everybody owns a business, who will work for you when you smart ideas blossom and you need to expand undecided undecided undecided

All this trash online about working for yourself, I don't know who you people are fooling.

If you sell products, it has to be manufactured, I hope it is manufactured by an individual entrepreneur who doesn't employ other people in the business.

If you don't sell product but provide services, you still need to purchase office furniture, consumables, etc. hope all those a provided by people who work alone to manufacture them.

Also the delivery people, shipping lines, cargo airlines, road haulage, etc that delivers your products or products to you, etc are also operated just by the owner without employees. angry angry angry

No mind all these thrash talkers who claim to be wise

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by bigiyaro(m): 8:22am On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:
If everybody owns a business, who will work for you when you smart ideas blossom and you need to expand undecided undecided undecided

All this trash online about working for yourself, I don't know who you people are fooling.

If you sell products, it has to be manufactured, I hope it is manufactured by an individual entrepreneur who doesn't employ other people in the business.

If you don't sell product but provide services, you still need to purchase office furniture, consumables, etc. hope all those a provided by people who work alone to manufacture them.

Also the delivery people, shipping lines, cargo airlines, road haulage, etc that delivers your products or products to you, etc are also operated just by the owner without employees. angry angry angry
calm down! no be everybody sabi play ball.
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by Lavoca: 8:26am On Jun 05, 2017
dannytoe:
Op if every body quit their job, who will patronize the business owners
I tire oooooo

All these talks about setting up business is always confusing.

Everyone can't be employer

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by ReLaTE(m): 8:29am On Jun 05, 2017
Good write up @Op,, I would admit this post best describe my condition presently. Each morning i feel like quiting my job bcus i hv 0% interest and love for the job.
My problem is how to know the business i will start and will not put myself in a worst situation. Please,i f you have a good suggestion i would really appreciate.

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by feelgoodInc: 8:40am On Jun 05, 2017
smartty68:
Nice point... But after quitting your job, what happens next? You start looking for business to do and startup capital.

Meh! Why not keep the job and run the business at the same time!!!

don't quit your job, just do a side business and begin from there.
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by agitator: 8:43am On Jun 05, 2017
vislabraye:

No mind all these thrash talkers who claim to be wise

The problem in Nigeria is that most people end up being employed and doing jobs which they don't have passion for.

Someone created whatsapp sold it and is working for the new owner. There are many of such instances life. Some know how to create but are block heads in marketing and business negotiations. It is the major reason most businesses fail in Nigeria, because everybody wants to be the boss. The same with microsoft, and other tech giants.

HiTV with sports rights but no other entertaining channels refused to merge with Daarsat with other entertaining channels without sports. What happened, because everybody wants to be boss, master both went under.

I can't list all of them even in other areas, it is the same thing.

Nigerians are too narrow minded, greedy, etc. that is why there are not much multinational companies in Nigeria. Even to be listed on the capital market is a problem because they don't want to loss the boss/master, ceo, chairman name. undecided undecided undecided
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by AAinEqGuinea: 8:52am On Jun 05, 2017
Agree 1000%
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by fortune1968: 8:53am On Jun 05, 2017
trendyupdates:
You dont need to quit your job if you dont presently have a present capital to start a business. In fact, you can still be working and start your business. With time, you will decide the one that is best for you. Ladies marry your guy straight away if he possesses these habits
http://trendyupdates.com.ng/ladies-marry-guy-straight-away-9-habits/
Some wives are the rrasons why their husbands are not self employed or still in poverty today .Women ? Only a handful of them are good .I had such a dream . In efforts to make the business stabilize before quitting the paid job ,my wife who was in charge ruined everything I had l laboured for .No account till today .

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by CellTabRepairs: 9:08am On Jun 05, 2017
Although it doesn't apply in all cases with a few exceptions and the FACT that if everyone were entrepreneurs, who will work for who?; no one wrote it better than this author. Some people are by nature 'employees' and nothing more. But it's very limiting on the potentials inherent in man. You may have reasons to be an employee today but check yourself; is it really worth it or you are following the norm expected of you by some people? Is it what your 'soul depth' is calling you out to do? Do some soul searching... Note that enterprise is not cast in stone what it is you should do as people think...Every enterprise to an entrepreneur is an investment vehicle! For instance you could decide to deal in eggs...2-5 years time, you may have cashed out unto bigger things. But young people are too filled with haughty eyes they can't see opportunities except they must be dressed in suit!
*It's middle of the year already. Get your hands busy - it can make U RAW cash! I mean, VIPs use DHL to send in high end devices for fixing till date! U get what that means? . Learn ! Get " Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs : A Complete Guide for Beginners and Professionals " ! Guaranteed* Visit Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay etc If sitting idle has been good for you so far...CONTINUE. If not, here's an opportunity!

Click signature, View and get what you need immediately!

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by vislabraye(m): 9:56am On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:

The problem in Nigeria is that most people end up being employed and doing jobs which they don't have passion for.

Someone created whatsapp sold it and is working for the new owner. There are many of such instances life. Some know how to create but are block heads in marketing and business negotiations. It is the major reason most businesses fail in Nigeria, because everybody wants to be the boss. The same with microsoft, and other tech giants.

HiTV with sports rights but no other entertaining channels refused to merge with Daarsat with other entertaining channels without sports. What happened, because everybody wants to be boss, master both went under.

I can't list all of them even in other areas, it is the same thing.

Nigerians are too narrow minded, greedy, etc. that is why there are not much multinational companies in Nigeria. Even to be listed on the capital market is a problem because they don't want to loss the boss/master, ceo, chairman name. undecided undecided undecided

That's the point. Coupled with these so called motivational speakers who tell you to quit your job and own your business. It's good to be a business owner but don't start bashing others in paid employment.

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by obc: 10:29am On Jun 05, 2017
Well said.
Godswillnwaoma:
the reasons why doing business are better than working for someone
1) freedom: i love freedom so much, i hate it when someone control my activities like u must report to office before 7am. But when u establish your own business, you alone decide when to go out and when to return.

2) wealth: let the truth be told, u can never be rich working for someone, i repeat u cant be rich,highest u can attain is being confortable i.e living average life.But on the other side, entreprenuership will make u rich because u determine your profit and quantity u will distibute to the market. If u want to be rich just get the courage and establish your business no matter how small it is.
3) exploiting other opportunities. Doing business will give u the chance to see other business opportunities and exploit then unlike when u are working for someone which will never gives the opportunity.

But capital remain the major problem we young entreprenuers have.
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by AAinEqGuinea: 11:25am On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:

Your children will be your employees and when they're mature pass the business on to them, at that time they should be ready to expand or evolve the business given to them. If not your own children then willing and responsible youth of your country bc college isn't for everyone. Either way, everyone continues to push the science or field of the industry forward.

If one is a college graduate there's little to no reason why one should be working for someone. The idea of college is laughable in these times which only reinforces a foolish notion that one obtains a degree to, in most cases, work for someone else. Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and many others don't have college degrees.... but the irony here is that these CEOs mostly hire college educated executives. The only thing these CEOs had going for them is that their parents were like those mentioned in my first paragraph -- parents who were either employees or provided an environment in which their children could be radically innovative .
CellTabRepairs:
Although it doesn't apply in all cases with a few exceptions and the FACT that if everyone were entrepreneurs, who will work for who?; no one wrote it better than this author. Some people are by nature 'employees' and nothing more. But it's very limiting on the potentials inherent in man. You may have reasons to be an employee today but check yourself; is it really worth it or you are following the norm expected of you by some people? Is it what your 'soul depth' is calling you out to do? Do some soul searching... Note that enterprise is not cast in stone what it is you should do as people think...Every enterprise to an entrepreneur is an investment vehicle! For instance you could decide to deal in eggs...2-5 years time, you may have cashed out unto bigger things. But young people are too filled with haughty eyes they can't see opportunities except they must be dressed in suit!
*It's middle of the year already. Get your hands busy - it can make U RAW cash! I mean, VIPs use DHL to send in high end devices for fixing till date! U get what that means? . Learn ! Get " Mobile Phones and Tablets Repairs : A Complete Guide for Beginners and Professionals " ! Guaranteed* Visit Amazon, Barnes & Noble, eBay etc If sitting idle has been good for you so far...CONTINUE. If not, here's an opportunity!

Click signature, View and get what you need immediately!
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by kaymart: 11:36am On Jun 05, 2017
bigiyaro:
calm down! no be everybody sabi play ball.
lol.....u mean say the dude no sabi play the ball?
lol.....
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by slimberie(f): 11:44am On Jun 05, 2017
Untainted007:
To an extent I'll say a nice write up. But don't forget its not everybody that can be self employed. If everybody decides to be self employed, who will help you out in sourcing for materials in production section, distribution, accounting, reinvestment etc. If everybody stop working just to be self employed, who will do your transactions in the bank, who will help you out at the airport, sea port etc in case you have goods to import in. Everything works together for good and don't think everybody must do like u do before they can succeed.
Really nice try dear[/color][color=#770077] smiley...

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by agitator: 11:48am On Jun 05, 2017
AAinEqGuinea:

Your children will be your employees and when they're mature past the business on to them, at that time they should be ready to expand or evolve the business given to them. If not your own children then willing and responsible youth of your country bc college isn't for everyone. Either way, everyone continues to push the science or field of the industry forward.

If one is a college graduate there's little to no reason why one should be working for someone. The idea of college is laughable in these times which only reinforces a foolish notion that one obtains a degree to, in most cases, work for someone else. Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and many others don't have college degrees.... but the irony here is that these CEOs mostly hire college educated executives. The only thing these CEOs had going for them is that their parents were like those mentioned in my first paragraph -- parents who were either employees or provided an environment in which their children could be radically innovative .

Whats this one saying?

The question is if everyone were to leave employed jobs and be self employed as is being bandied everyday, who will you employ?

It is good you mentioned people who are not college graduates who own businesses and employed graduates to work for them, also in the same breath you are saying college graduates are not supposed to work for someone. Please enlighten me more on this your write-up.

Also, while you are elaborating kindly tell how a man and his kids will operate a ship(not canoe) to transport containerized goods.
before transporting, how the shipbuilder also constructs the ship with his kids and no employees.
Don't forget the haulage to the port, then the filling station owner operating alone, etc wink wink wink
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by connectsam: 12:01pm On Jun 05, 2017
A successful person is he who pursue his dreams. not one who help others achieve theirs. if you spent quarter the time you spent helping others achieve their goal on your own, you will never remain the same. its madness to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result. take the bold step, quit that job. Start your own, everything is not all about money, be innovative be creative and be in charge of your dream. don't hate yourself to the extent that you leave your dream and start chasing other people's dream. Even if you fail, at least you will be glad you try. you will do something to be remember for.

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by AAinEqGuinea: 12:39pm On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:

Whats this one saying?

The question is if everyone were to leave employed jobs and be self employed as is being bandied everyday, who will you employ?

It is good you mentioned people who are not college graduates who own businesses and employed graduates to work for them, also in the same breath you are saying college graduates are not supposed to work for someone. Please enlighten me more on this your write-up. wink wink wink

If these people's jobs aren't preparing them to start their own business then these people are simply slaving to maintain themselves, which is only inviting the next generation of abject poverty, working to eat and live only for the moment. Nothing innovative comes from a world that makes this their normal.

It's only pure irony that the college educated works for employers without college degrees bc it is as if they're learning entrepreneurship from someone with less education. Graduates are becoming like everyone else without a degree; working just to eat which only a byproduct of a broken system and not a standard.
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by babapressy(m): 12:40pm On Jun 05, 2017
Yeah
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by agitator: 12:42pm On Jun 05, 2017
AAinEqGuinea:

If these people's jobs aren't preparing them to start their own business then these people are simply slaving to maintain themselves, which is only inviting the next generation of abject poverty, working to eat and live only for the moment. Nothing innovative comes from a world that makes this their normal.

It's only pure irony that the college educated works for employers without college degrees bc it is as if they're learning entrepreneurship from someone with less education. Graduates are becoming like everyone else without a degree; working just to eat which only a byproduct of a broken system and not a standard.

still didn't answer my questions. It is only morons who follow these advice undecided undecided undecided

I had a colleague once who attended seminar upon seminar on entrepreneurship, but guess what after he was terminated he couldn't survive. Why, because he came face to face with reality that things aren't the way it is being painted by the presenters.

He came to realized that the seminar organizers and entrepreneurship e-books sellers aren't better of than him while he was working. In fact they fed on his gullibility to survive. grin grin grin

You know what? after much hustling being an entrepreneur he started sending his CV to former colleagues requesting for help to do any job. angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by abimic(m): 1:09pm On Jun 05, 2017
If there's job security, then one doesn't really need quitting his/her job. Not enough freedom, waking so early in some instances and answering to some memo could be really annoying. Salary only make you comfortable but the right business maketh one rich. Team business all the way... I and obim, while we keep at it, a steady income.

1 Like

Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by AAinEqGuinea: 1:12pm On Jun 05, 2017
agitator:

still didn't answer my questions. undecided undecided undecided

How don't you get it? Someone has to work. Someone has to be an employee for awhile... like the youth learning how to run a business. [b] What is the end game for the working class? [/b]Working to barely make food for the day or week, working just to save for a bachelors pad in Eko Atlantic, working to buy skinny jeans and matching iPhone, working to impress shallow-minded ladies?? This sort of thinking and complacency is the type of foolishness that has plagued the dark race to point of absurdum. They don't know to see the world outside this shrinking societal box.

Grow up and run business like you'll later run a family and stop making excuses to be a wage-slave for the rest of your life and your children's life.

Make Nigeria Great Again. cool
Re: 11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business by agitator: 1:29pm On Jun 05, 2017
AAinEqGuinea:

How don't you get it? Someone has to work. Someone has to be an employee for awhile... like the youth learning how to run a business. What is the end game for the working class? Working to barely make food for the day or week, working just to save for a bachelors pad in Eko Atlantic, working to buy skinny jeans and matching iPhone, working to impress shallow-minded ladies?? This sort of thinking and complacency is the type of foolishness that has plagued the dark race to point of absurdum. They don't know to see the world outside this shrinking societal box.

Grow up and run business like you'll later run a family and stop making excuses to be a wage-slave for the rest of your life and your children's life.

Make Nigeria Great Again. cool

hmmmmmmmmmm, ok tell everybody to stop working and start biz so they wont be slave. wink wink wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Weird Types Of Lawyers You Meet In The Courtroom / FAAN Reverses Reduction In Staff Salary For May / How Do I Help My Mum Retrieve Her Pension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.