Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,673 members, 7,809,559 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria (35269 Views)

See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / 5 Best Places To Live In Lagos / Moving From Lagos To Ibadan. What Areas In Ibadan Are Best To Live And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 7:58am On Jun 05, 2017
Hello Nairalanders,

I am a South African woman very interested in relocating to Lagos, Nigeria. I've lived in the country before so I'm quite familiar with the people, food and culture. I love the energy in Nigeria despite the hardships.
I would like to find out how South Africans living in Nigeria get their jobs, via international recruiters or friends or how? Also, how easy is it to organize the right papers? I am not looking to marry for green card oo... unless genuine love is concerned.

So any advice or leads, I'd really appreciate. Thank you folks

11 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 8:38am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:
Hello Nairalanders,

I am a South African woman very interested in relocating to Lagos, Nigeria. I've lived in the country before so I'm quite familiar with the people, food and culture. I love the energy in Nigeria despite the hardships.
I would like to find out how South Africans living in Nigeria get their jobs, via international recruiters or friends or how? Also, how easy is it to organize the right papers? I am not looking to marry for green card oo... unless genuine love is concerned.

If you can get a company based in Nigeria to employ you, it will help you when you are applying for your work and residence permit

For employment opportunities look online, Nigeria Galleria posts job offers regularly, go to the job section on nairaland, other Job portals exists online too

Apply for a visit visa so that you can do your job interviews, then once you get accepted apply for work permit and residence

Your foreign certificate is a plus if you can defend it, good luck

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 8:50am On Jun 05, 2017
Pidgin2:

If you can get a company based in Nigeria to employ you, it will help you when you are applying for your work and residence permit

For employment opportunities look online, Nigeria Galleria posts job offers regularly, go to the job section on nairaland, other Job portals exists online too

Apply for a visit visa so that you can do your job interviews, then once you get accepted apply for work permit and residence

Your foreign certificate is a plus if you can defend it, good luck

Hello @Pidgin2

I appreciate your response and advice.
I've been applying at Nigerian based companies and slowly but surely.

I have also searched jobberman, ngcareers, and google like no other. I'll search through Nigeria Galleria as well, thanks.

I believe it will work out. I've been praying

25 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Hello @Pidgin2

I appreciate your response and advice.
I've been applying at Nigerian based companies and slowly but surely.

I have also searched jobberman, ngcareers, and google like no other. I'll search through Nigeria Galleria as well, thanks.

I believe it will work out. I've been praying

You are welcome dear, I join my faith with yours and I know you will get a good job soon as you are searching from the right places

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Hi ZarZar,

Thanks for this. Like how not every Nigerian is not about 419 and yahoo yahoo, not every South African is xenophobic and hates his or her brother. I believe we are one. I am against the gruesome acts of violence shown towards 'foreigners' in SA. Men and women across the 'borders' on this beautiful continent of ours cannot be 'foreigners'.

Anyway, like said, the move is something I've been looking at doing since having been and worked in Naija before. I love it and no hateful comments by others is going to change that.

One love ZarZar

OK cool. Look, I'm not against your move. Do what you want. If you've been there & you enjoyed it, then more power to you. Just curious though, is it an indefinite move or just something you feel you wanna do for the time being?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 9:13am On Jun 05, 2017
Pidgin2:

You are welcome dear, I join my faith with yours and I know you will get a good job soon as you are searching from the right places

Thank you dear.
God bless you

4 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Hi ZarZar,

Thanks for this. Like how not every Nigerian is not about 419 and yahoo yahoo, not every South African is xenophobic and hates his or her brother. I believe we are one. I am against the gruesome acts of violence shown towards 'foreigners' in SA. Men and women across the 'borders' on this beautiful continent of ours cannot be 'foreigners'.

Anyway, like said, the move is something I've been looking at doing since having been and worked in Naija before. I love it and no hateful comments by others is going to change that.

One love ZarZar

100 likes

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 9:17am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

OK cool. Look, I'm not against your move. Do what you want. If you've been there & you enjoyed it, then more power to you. Just curious though, is it an indefinite move or just something you feel you wanna do for the time being?

Indefinite ZarZar. Not at all for the time being.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Indefinite ZarZar. Not at all for the time being.

Hmmm...and what about family? Will you still come over to check on them? Btw, how do they feel about your decision?
Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

Hmmm...and what about family? Will you still come over to check on them? Btw, how do they feel about your decision?

Yes, of course. Home will forever be home. So yes, I will visit.
My family don't know that I still want to live and work in Nigeria. They think that maybe cause it didn't work out before that I have given up. But no. They will have to accept once God provides.

10 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Yes, of course. Home will forever be home. So yes, I will visit.
My family don't know that I still want to live and work in Nigeria. They think that maybe cause it didn't work out before that I have given up. But no. They will have to accept once God provides.

What do you mean it didn't work out the 1st time? What happened? You don't need to go into detail, just skim the surface because I'm really trying to understand what prompts you to wanna go back if the 1st time didn't work out. That's if you're comfortable giving an answer to my question though. It's all on you.

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by bisi16(m): 9:37am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:
Hello Nairalanders,

I wish my gf while I was in Cape Town had ur mentality, we wld have been happily married and living in Nigeria :-)

Just like someone suggested, Naija job portals are ur best bet. If u have a certification u can defend, u'll get a call back.

Never mind the earlier hostility, I've lived in SA to know they're not all Xenophobic. Please come.

10 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by tosintonero(m): 9:57am On Jun 05, 2017
Hi Afrikanbabe,

It is good that you want to work and relocate to Nigeria. Since you said you have lived in Lagos before, I think you should use your social capital more in finding jobs. I once lived in SA before relocating to Australia. And it is good that you are able to approach life from a point that you are not labelling all Nigerians as bad. Good luck and be careful of scammers.
afrikanbabe:

Hi ZarZar,

One love ZarZar

5 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by otokx(m): 10:43am On Jun 05, 2017
A sign of good things to come.

3 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:47am On Jun 05, 2017
otokx:
A sign of good things to come.

Thank you @otokx

3 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:51am On Jun 05, 2017
tosintonero:
Hi Afrikanbabe,

It is good that you want to work and relocate to Nigeria. Since you said you have lived in Lagos before, I think you should use your social capital more in finding jobs. I once lived in SA before relocating to Australia. And it is good that you are able to approach life from a point that you are not labelling all Nigerians as bad. Good luck and be careful of scammers.

Hello @tosintonero
Thank you for your feedback.
I firmly stand by the fact that not alll Nigerians are the same. We are all individuals and can choose to either be good or bad.
I'm on it, in terms of using my social capital for finding jobs. It's still tricky though as I haven't signed anything yet. I've messaged a lot of people in 'my circle' so I'm just being positive really. My leads haven't been on posts on jobberman and co, but really wanted to get something concrete before relocating.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:55am On Jun 05, 2017
bisi16:

I wish my gf while I was in Cape Town had ur mentality, we wld have been happily married and living in Nigeria :-)

Just like someone suggested, Naija job portals are ur best bet. If u have a certification u can defend, u'll get a call back.

Never mind the earlier hostility, I've lived in SA to know they're not all Xenophobic. Please come.

Hi @bisi16
Right on, I bet your girl would've loved Nigeria and probably would be in agreement that it has a great energy (compared to Cape Town). Black folks are struggling in comparison to white folks in the Western Cape. It's sad really. Though CPT is beautiful, hands down. Aluta continua. It is well

Let me push some more on the portals! Thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 10:58am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

What do you mean it didn't work out the 1st time? What happened? You don't need to go into detail, just skim the surface because I'm really trying to understand what prompts you to wanna go back if the 1st time didn't work out. That's if you're comfortable giving an answer to my question though. It's all on you.

Zarzar, what I mean is that I didn't sign up for a good deal. I could've endured but my family was pressuring me to come back home because things weren't in order with the company. I can go into detail via a pvt conversation

2 Likes

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 11:11am On Jun 05, 2017
afrikanbabe:

Zarzar, what I mean is that I didn't sign up for a good deal. I could've endured but my family was pressuring me to come back home because things weren't in order with the company. I can go into detail via a private conversation though.

No, that's good enough. Thanks. Well, good luck this time around. Hope it goes well for you. All the best smiley

1 Like

Re: South African Wants To Live And Work In Lagos, Nigeria by afrikanbabe(f): 11:33am On Jun 05, 2017
ZarZar:

No, that's good enough. Thanks. Well, good luck this time around. Hope it goes well for you. All the best smiley

Thank you ZarZar!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Governor Okowa Rebrands Delta Line, Commissions Brand New Equipped Vehicles / Ilasamaja Bridge Is Dismantling (see PHOTO) / 2 U.S Army Helicopters Crash Within 48 Hours, Killing Soldiers (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.