Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause (4266 Views)

Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) / The Lagos Constitutional Conference Of 1954 - Regional Structure / Abba Kyari Inserted 'Coordinator' Clause In Buhari’s Letter To NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by pazienza(m): 4:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
KINGwax007:
and you cited Nairaland as a valid source?

Is your brain truly dead?

The interview he used to open this thread had been dissected to a logical conclusion on those threads.

This thread is like recycling of trash. it presents no new evidence, rather it hopes to deceive and pass falsehoods and misinterpretations as the truth, using repeatition as a tool.

1 Like

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 09, 2017
pazienza:

You present no new argument.

All you presented had been demolished here: http://
www.nairaland.com/3675653//7
https://www.nairaland.com/3663093/read-1979-
interview-dr-nnamdi/2#54306296

Your superiors that were peddling this your cheap blackmail were stripped naked and battered there and they subsequently fled from the thread when they ran of points.

The least you could do is present a new case.
Are you saying Zik was lying in the interview?

This was Zik in his own voice:

Azikiwe: In 1953 the NPC under the leadership of my good friend, the late Sardauna, threatened to secede from the federation unless their 6-point proposals were adhered to. I had to use personal diplomacy. We had been personal friends since 1940. So, I saw Sir Ahmadu Bello and prevailed upon him that the unity of this country was greater than himself and myself and the other people too helped so that the North shifted grounds and agreed and so the country was saved. That was in 1953.
Again, however, when the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual. That was when we began to use that expression - ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ - and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.
The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level. So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will.
He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded. We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle - he was really an arbiter - that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.

4 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by pazienza(m): 5:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
deji15:

Are you saying Zik was lying in the interview?

Azikiwe: In 1953 the NPC under the leadership of my good friend, the late Sardauna, threatened to secede from the federation unless their 6-point proposals were adhered to. I had to use personal diplomacy. We had been personal friends since 1940. So, I saw Sir Ahmadu Bello and prevailed upon him that the unity of this country was greater than himself and myself and the other people too helped so that the North shifted grounds and agreed and so the country was saved. That was in 1953.
Again, however, when the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual. That was when we began to use that expression - ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ - and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.
The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level. So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will.
He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded. We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle - he was really an arbiter - that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.

Are you saying you can't do better than your predecessors here?

http://

Don't bore me. Present New argument.

1 Like

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jun 09, 2017
pazienza:

The fact stare you in the face but you are like the ostrich, burying your head in the sand. Here it is again.
Was Zik lying when he said all this in the interview? Yes or No will suffice.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by kettykings: 5:03pm On Jun 09, 2017
The type of lies being churned out by certain Nigerians will make the devil to fear these folks,
if Azikiwe was that powerful to expunge the seccesionist clause from the constitution he would have used that power to stop southern camerron from seceding after independence , so which constitution did the southern cameroon use to secede in 1961 ?

deji15:
Another perspective on the agitation for secession, restructuring and resource control.

- How I wish Pa Nnamdi Azikiwe had listen to Pa Awo and allowed secession clause to make it into the Nigeria constitution in 1953.
- How I wish Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did not kill other regional leaders in 1966 which set up a chain of reaction for other event that culminated into Civil war that killed millions
- How I wish Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did not execute the first coup which usher in the era of military rule that wasted 30 years of Nigeria national life.
- How I wish General Ironsi did not issue the unitary system of Govt via decree 34 in 1966.

If any or all of the above defining moments for Nigeria had not happen, then their descendants will not be wailing about slavery today.
Had I known is always at last.
When the foundation is faulty, the building cannot stand.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/my-role-in-the-civil-war-by-zik/119382.html

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
kettykings:
The type of lies being churned out by certain Nigerians will make the devil to fear these folks,
if Azikiwe was that powerful to expunge the seccesionist clause from the constitution he would have used that power to stop southern camerron from seceding after independence , so which constitution did the southern cameroon use to secede in 1961 ?

Are you saying that Zik was lying in that interview? These are words directly from him. You can read the full details in the links provided.

4 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by kettykings: 5:10pm On Jun 09, 2017
deji15:

Are you saying that Zik was lying in that interview? These are words directly from him. You can read the full details in the links provided.
whatever you posted here did not stop southern cameroon from seceding in 1961 and should not stop any country from secding today

below is the real story of how Southern cameroon became independent
Following the Ibadan General Conference of 1950, a new constitution for Nigeria devolved more power to the regions. In the subsequent election thirteen Southern Cameroonian representatives were elected to the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly in Enugu. In 1953, however, the Southern Cameroons representatives, unhappy with the domineering attitude of Nigerian politicians and lack of unity among the ethnic groups in the Eastern Region, declared a "benevolent neutrality" and withdrew from the assembly. At a conference in London from 30 July to 22 August 1953, the Southern Cameroons delegation asked for a separate region of its own. The British agreed, and Southern Cameroons became an autonomous region with its capital still at Buea. Elections were held in 1954 and the parliament met on 1 October 1954, with E.M.L. Endeley as Premier. As Cameroun and Nigeria prepared for Independence, South Cameroons nationalists debated whether their best interests lay with union with Cameroun, union with Nigeria or total independence. Endeley was defeated in elections on 1 February 1959 by John Ngu Foncha.

The United Nations organised a plebiscite in the Cameroons on 11 February 1961 which put two alternatives to the people: union with Nigeria or union with Cameroun. The third option, independence, was opposed by the UK representative to the UN Trusteeship Council, Sir Andrew Cohen, and as a result was not put. In the plebiscite, Northern Cameroons voted for union with Nigeria, and Southern Cameroons for union with (the formerly French) Cameroun.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by juman(m): 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
Azikiwe thought he and his people would easily lord over others in the country.

6 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 09, 2017
kettykings:

whatever you posted here did not stop southern cameroon from seceding in 1961 and should not stop any country from secding today

below is the real story of how Southern cameroon became independent
Following the Ibadan General Conference of 1950, a new constitution for Nigeria devolved more power to the regions. In the subsequent election thirteen Southern Cameroonian representatives were elected to the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly in Enugu. In 1953, however, the Southern Cameroons representatives, unhappy with the domineering attitude of Nigerian politicians and lack of unity among the ethnic groups in the Eastern Region, declared a "benevolent neutrality" and withdrew from the assembly. At a conference in London from 30 July to 22 August 1953, the Southern Cameroons delegation asked for a separate region of its own. The British agreed, and Southern Cameroons became an autonomous region with its capital still at Buea. Elections were held in 1954 and the parliament met on 1 October 1954, with E.M.L. Endeley as Premier. As Cameroun and Nigeria prepared for Independence, South Cameroons nationalists debated whether their best interests lay with union with Cameroun, union with Nigeria or total independence. Endeley was defeated in elections on 1 February 1959 by John Ngu Foncha.

The United Nations organised a plebiscite in the Cameroons on 11 February 1961 which put two alternatives to the people: union with Nigeria or union with Cameroun. The third option, independence, was opposed by the UK representative to the UN Trusteeship Council, Sir Andrew Cohen, and as a result was not put. In the plebiscite, Northern Cameroons voted for union with Nigeria, and Southern Cameroons for union with (the formerly French) Cameroun.

The answer is right within what you posted. Azikiwe backed by the British ensured that the secession clause did not make it into the Nigerian constitution. While Northern Cameroon dodged the bullet, the rest of Nigeria were not so lucky because Azikiwe position prevailed over other Nigerian leaders who wants the secession clause.
Read the Ziks interview again and also the details in the links provided. Do you think he was lying? Yes or No will suffice.

4 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by juman(m): 5:24pm On Jun 09, 2017
I see nzeogwu and Ifeajuna coup as an attempt to recolonize the country by them but failed.

6 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 5:33pm On Jun 09, 2017
deji15:

I really can't understand why they always believe in the alternate facts when the truth and reality stares them in the face.

You dey mind dem. I'm still sad that history subject was scraped out of our curriculum because if it wasn't, the ibos would have known the absolute truth about the events leading to the civil war and what happened during the civil war, not the tales by moonlight stories parroted to them by their parents and uncles.

I will keep saying that until Ibo come up with the whole truth, only then, they will heal, playing the victim will take them nowhere.

5 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by kingzizzy: 5:36pm On Jun 09, 2017
deji15:
Another perspective on the agitation for secession, restructuring and resource control.

- How I wish Pa Nnamdi Azikiwe had listen to Pa Awo and allowed secession clause to make it into the Nigeria constitution in 1953.
It is debatable if secession clause would have made it into condtitution regardless of what Zk or Awo thought as it is a known fact that the British were against it

- How I wish Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did not kill other regional leaders in 1966 which set up a chain of reaction for other event that culminated into Civil war that killed millions

It would have been ideal if it had been a bloodless coup but the coup was not the direct reason why the war was fought. Even after the coup, counter coup and the pogroms that followed, there was still a good chance to avoid war at Aburi. Unfirtunately, the North with its insaitiable greed to control the economic snd political life Nigeria made war inevitable.

- How I wish Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna did not execute the first coup which usher in the era of military rule that wasted 30 years of Nigeria national life.
All over Africa in the 60's and 70's, there was hardly any country that didnt experience a military coup. Coups were quite fashionable at the time. Even if Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna had not conducted a coup, it was highly unlikely that Nigeria would have escaped a coup. I also say this because at the time, there was huge political turmoil at the time which breeds coup plotting.

- How I wish General Ironsi did not issue the unitary system of Govt via decree 34 in 1966.[

Every Military decree is always removed when civilians return. Military rule its self, is always temporal, same as decree 34 or any other decree. Ironsi kept the 4 Regions he met. Had Gowon not abolished the 4 Regions and created 12 states, Nigeria would still have been a federation of 4 Regions whenever civialian rule returned.

By abolishing the Regions and creating states, Civilian rulers could only go with what they inherited. The removal of the Regions caused the unitary system to be perpetuated. It should also be noted that Decree 34 was removed at Aburi.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 5:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
obialfa:

Just be grateful to Britain and shut up.

Who connived with the British to amalgamate Nigeria in 1914 if not the Ibos and the North. As a matter of fact, the west were against it, Lagos especially was very vocal against it.

Hence, we should be the one telling the Ibos to be grateful to the british!

2 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by madridguy(m): 5:41pm On Jun 09, 2017
seen.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 5:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
deji15:

While France supported you for the same Goal. The issue is what led to the war. Leave Britain and other outsiders out of it. That is diversionary. The discussion is about how contributions from Azikiwe, Ifeajuna, and Nzeogwu contributed to your present predicament.

Here is Zik in his own voice:

Who doesn't know that Zik was part of the people who were for 1 Nigeria except if such person wants to be economical with the truth? Heck! He was even nicknamed the beautiful bride!

3 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by obialfa: 5:46pm On Jun 09, 2017
Diademk07:

Who connived with the British to amalgamate Nigeria in 1914 if not the Ibos and the North. As a matter of fact, the west were against it, Lagos especially was very vocal against it.

Hence, we should be the one telling the Ibos to be grateful to the british!

What do you want from us?
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 5:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
obialfa:

What do you want from us?

Nothing. Believe me, I don't have problem with ibos getting their biafra but what I dislike most is when lot of your folks whose minds have been poisoned with half truths by their parents come up online and start to make hate inciting speech against the Yoruba. Heck! Kanu Nnamdi was their main hate inciting chief and lot of ibos supported him and started raining curses on the Yorubas and the North, even when history told us that it was the Ibos who started the whole mess in the first place.

Not only this, your folks would then cry foul as well as play the victims by the time we eventually retaliate and the cycle continues..

That's why I'm clamouring for history to be reinstated into the curriculum because everyone would know where he was coming from.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 6:02pm On Jun 09, 2017
pazienza:

This is ridiculous!

Pazienza, you can do better than this. Lmao.

3 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 6:07pm On Jun 09, 2017
kettykings:

What can Awolowo do against the collaboration of 2 regional leaders out of 3? You read in the article where Zik stated that he already convinced Ahmadu Bello's mind and that leave out only Awolowo against the 2 leaders.

Dey use sense na.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by WorldRichest: 6:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
new2020:

How I wish that Awolowo did not starve 5 million Biafraan children.

5 million Biafrans? Have you people upgraded the number? I thought you were saying 3 million Biafrans, or have you included the children that the slayed Biafrans would have given birth to? If you sacrifice 5 million people to a cause and your leader Agbari Ojukwo said "it is over", shouldn't you think deeply before starting another war?

2 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by obialfa: 6:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
Diademk07:

Nothing. Believe me, I don't have problem with ibos getting their biafra but what I dislike most is when lot of your folks whose minds have been poisoned with half truths by their parents come up online and start to make hate inciting speech against the Yoruba. Heck! Kanu Nnamdi was their main hate inciting chief and lot of ibos supported him and started raining curses on the Yorubas and the North, even when history told us that it was the Ibos who started the whole mess in the first place.

Not only this, your folks would then cry foul as well as play the victims by the time we eventually retaliate and the cycle continues..

That's why I'm clamouring for history to be reinstated into the curriculum because everyone would know where he was coming from.

Then stop shouting one nigeria.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 6:56pm On Jun 09, 2017
obialfa:

Then stop shouting one nigeria.

Who dey shout 1 nigeria?

The point is we're asking ibos to go through the right process in their call for secession. Appoint secession minded senators and governors in your region and let them call for your referendum peacefully. Preaching hate against Yorubas will do nothing! And don't forget we won't sit idle and tolerate your hate and excesses. Hence, don't cry foul when we retaliate.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by obialfa: 7:08pm On Jun 09, 2017
Diademk07:

Who dey shout 1 nigeria?

The point is we're asking ibos to go through the right process in their call for secession. Appoint secession minded senators and governors in your region and let them call for your referendum peacefully. Preaching hate against Yorubas will do nothing! And don't forget we won't sit idle and tolerate your hate and excesses. Hence, don't cry foul when we retaliate.

Hypocrite. Now that Arewa has also called for secession, why not tell them the same thing? Are you afraid of them?
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 7:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
obialfa:

Hypocrite. Now that Arewa has also called for secession, why not tell them the same thing? Are you afraid of them?

Now I'm a hypocrite?

Did I ever tell I'm opposed to secession? All what I'm saying is that hate speeches won't help your course.. Is that too hard to understand?

2 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by obialfa: 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
Diademk07:

Now I'm a hypocrite?

Did I ever tell I'm opposed to secession? All what I'm saying is that hate speeches won't help your course.. Is that too hard to understand?

Tell Arewa. Coward.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Diademk07: 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2017
obialfa:

Tell Arewa. Coward.

Did they abuse my folks and call us derogatory names when they for their secession?

Don't worry your head about me because I have had no problem exchanging words with any ethnic group. If you checked my post, you would see where I clashed with some northerners during the Ife saga. I can't even count the number of ethnic groups I've clashed with on nairaland. My own be say don't insult my tribe!

2 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2017
kingzizzy:

It is debatable if secession clause would have made it into condtitution regardless of what Zk or Awo thought as it is a known fact that the British were against it

It would have been ideal if it had been a bloodless coup but the coup was not the direct reason why the war was fought. Even after the coup, counter coup and the pogroms that followed, there was still a good chance to avoid war at Aburi. Unfirtunately, the North with its insaitiable greed to control the economic snd political life Nigeria made war inevitable.

All over Africa in the 60's and 70's, there was hardly any country that didnt experience a military coup. Coups were quite fashionable at the time. Even if Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna had not conducted a coup, it was highly unlikely that Nigeria would have escaped a coup. I also say this because at the time, there was huge political turmoil at the time which breeds coup plotting.

Every Military decree is always removed when civilians return. Military rule its self, is always temporal, same as decree 34 or any other decree. Ironsi kept the 4 Regions he met. Had Gowon not abolished the 4 Regions and created 12 states, Nigeria would still have been a federation of 4 Regions whenever civialian rule returned.

By abolishing the Regions and creating states, Civilian rulers could only go with what they inherited. The removal of the Regions caused the unitary system to be perpetuated. It should also be noted that Decree 34 was removed at Aburi.

Events, after the deed has been done.. The beginning and the past were our defining moments.
Sometimes it is too late to cry when the head is off.
That is why the Title of the post is: Had I known, always come at last

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by obialfa: 8:50pm On Jun 09, 2017
Diademk07:

Did they abuse my folks and call us derogatory names when they for their secession?

Don't worry your head about me because I have had no problem exchanging words with any ethnic group. If you checked my post, you would see where I clashed with some northerners during the Ife saga. I can't even count the number of ethnic groups I've clashed with on nairaland. My own be say don't insult my tribe!

Coward.
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 09, 2017
WorldRichest:

5 million Biafrans? Have you people upgraded the number? I thought you were saying 3 million Biafrans, or have you included the children that the slayed Biafrans would have given birth to? If you sacrifice 5 million people to a cause and your leader Agbari Ojukwo said "it is over", shouldn't you think deeply before starting another war?

My brother, its like you don't know how these things work. Immediately after the war, it was estimated that hundreds of thousands lost their lives during the war. As years goes by then we start to hear about one million people died during the war. Later the figure became 2.5 million estimates , then 3 million and now 5 million.
What happens is that the dead are actually procreating in their graves, hence the multiplication. That is why the number keeps increasing as the day goes by.

3 Likes

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Omofunaab2: 7:19am On Jun 10, 2017
pazienza:

Guy, shut up, you are just shifting the goal post

Why can't you counter this particular thread? Instead of shouting demolished, decimated upandan.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by pazienza(m): 9:01am On Jun 10, 2017
Omofunaab2:

Guy, shut up, you are just shifting the goal post

Why can't you counter this particular thread? Instead of shouting demolished, decimated upandan.

There is nothing to counter that haven't been countered before on the thread links I posted.

1 Like

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Uchek(m): 7:26pm On Feb 07, 2022
You are ahistorical - drunkenly and giddilyahistorical.

davodyguy:

If greed didn't push ojuiku to war, then no one would ha é been starved. Before the war were people starved to death? After the war were people starved to death?

So, without one man starting the war, no one would have been starved

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Question For The Igbos Here On Nairaland / IPOB Bandits Celebrate On Facebook As They Killed A Soldier - PHOTOS / IPOB Raised Nearly Half A Million Dollars For ESN In Less Than 24 Hrs In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.