Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause (4259 Views)

Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) / The Lagos Constitutional Conference Of 1954 - Regional Structure / Abba Kyari Inserted 'Coordinator' Clause In Buhari’s Letter To NASS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by peleson1: 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
Very good points.
Had I known always comes at last
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Uchek(m): 7:47am On Jun 15, 2022
Please how did greed push Ojukwu to civil war? Please define greed. Between Ojukwu and Gowon, who was actually greedy?

Looking forward to your response

davodyguy:

If greed didn't push ojuiku to war, then no one would ha é been starved. Before the war were people starved to death? After the war were people starved to death?

So, without one man starting the war, no one would have been starved
Re: Had I Known Is Always At Last - 1954 Secession Clause by Uchek(m): 7:55am On Jun 15, 2022
Most compelling and forceful clampdown on the false narrative than Ironsi destroyed Nigeria's federalism and imposed unitary system on Nigeria.

kingzizzy:

It is debatable if secession clause would have made it into condtitution regardless of what Zk or Awo thought as it is a known fact that the British were against it

It would have been ideal if it had been a bloodless coup but the coup was not the direct reason why the war was fought. Even after the coup, counter coup and the pogroms that followed, there was still a good chance to avoid war at Aburi. Unfirtunately, the North with its insaitiable greed to control the economic snd political life Nigeria made war inevitable.

All over Africa in the 60's and 70's, there was hardly any country that didnt experience a military coup. Coups were quite fashionable at the time. Even if Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna had not conducted a coup, it was highly unlikely that Nigeria would have escaped a coup. I also say this because at the time, there was huge political turmoil at the time which breeds coup plotting.

Every Military decree is always removed when civilians return. Military rule its self, is always temporal, same as decree 34 or any other decree. Ironsi kept the 4 Regions he met. Had Gowon not abolished the 4 Regions and created 12 states, Nigeria would still have been a federation of 4 Regions whenever civialian rule returned.

By abolishing the Regions and creating states, Civilian rulers could only go with what they inherited. The removal of the Regions caused the unitary system to be perpetuated. It should also be noted that Decree 34 was removed at Aburi.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sango Walks Alone / Breaking News: Why I May Soon Quit APC – Tinubu / Analysis For The Next Elections In The Northeast. Sincere Opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.