Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. (40587 Views)

Is My Dad Trying To Have An Extramarital Affair? / Is It Right For Me To Ask My Mum To Divorce My Dad?? / My Dad Cheated On My Mum Before She Died And He's Still Doing It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 10, 2017
rheether:
Your mum is the solution to his problem. Ask her to turn into a nag and I promise you, your dad will stop talking.
Ah that house go scatter o. Talkative plus nagging.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by aminu23(m): 11:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
I wish my dad will come alive just to be talking and talking even more than you are now complaining[color=#990000][/color]ONE DAY YOU'LL UNDERSTAND HIS VALUE AND THE VALUE OF HIS ATTITUDE.
YOU'LL CRY AND MISS ALL THOSE

BUT BY THEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
I don't know your Dad nor how old he is. But I think we might have a case of compulsive talking here. Sorry to say this OP- Don't rule out mental illness. There are hundreds of mental illnesses out there, many are severe and few are mild. Compulsive talking is a mild one and does no harm more than occasional embarassments. Take more time to vet your Dad, note your observations, then share it with experts to get inferences.

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Enemyofpeace: 11:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
Op cook parrot for him to eat, he will stop talking
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
you have to take it slow okk.. dat is natural and don't even think of drugs.. meanwhile we have to pray had against this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3udFVoe95Y
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Gebbson007(m): 11:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
Op I cn relate,its wt Yoruba cll "alatenumo" .. wen eva ma mom starts er talky talky I just plug in my earpiece,close ma eyes n listen 2 music or use style 2 walk out f d place she z..she ws d reason I got an headphone den...
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Memories12411: 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2017
From your writeup it is obvious that talking is the center of your DNA. All I see was myself talking endlessly just like your father as I tried to read your story. Like father like son.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Jtmanager(m): 11:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
Lol
Buh bro, ur case no worst reach mine.
My dad (wait no be just talks , he nags azin femine right buh mature male man over talk)
Anytime I'm around I just breeze out
Ah swear nxt year I'm gonna look for a reason to rent my own apprtment
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

"My dad talks too much" and by saying too much I did not mean he's crazy or something, I mean he talks sensible thing for an absurd long period of time.

Let me use 5 out of million of scenario to define my case.

1. Anytime the family is complete inside the house, and everyone is quiet; busy with something, I browsing on my phone, my little brother playing video game, my sister using beads, mum watching TV and my dad? Talking. When it is very obvious that no one cares to listen, he continue talking.

2. If any of my friends came to visit me, they will become my dad's guest. From the very first moment they say "Good morning" to him, he started talking, asking them questions, essp about their work, school, and talking about his own life too. Like what is happening now, I can see awkward smile on their face as they listen but just don't want to walk away leaving him embarrassed.

3. One day, I was chatting with girlfriend till late in the night, he woke up and say a light in the male children's room, he came in and started accusing me of internet fraud. We talked and talked till we settle it at dawn. From 2 to 4.30. In the morning, my dad started the topic with my mum again.

4. He talks every seconds when he is in the house or when anyone is with him.

5. He make anyone he saw with me (or any of my siblings) to introduce themselves. Indoor or outdoor.

I don't usually talk about my family affair with people but nobody knows me here or my dad.

I just want to know how to handle situation like this because I've started thinking of leaving the house. Maybe I'll learn to accept him when I don't see him everyday.

See? He is starting already... continues to talk when I'm not even looking at him.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by sorextee(m): 11:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
See ehn, back then, my dad will be talking, I will walk out of him angrily. Sometimes even slammed the door sef... Due to d fact that my dad doesnt smell thngs, it gave me d liberty to smoke in my room. I was feeling like one big boy, not knowing I was a big fool.. Wen I came back to my senses(repented) I cried dat day, thinking about all the things I did in d past.. Now, wen I go visit him, if him dey para for me, I still dey kneel down apologize... Even though im 30..

So the op doesnt know what hes saying I swear..

delishpot:
Please talk to him oooo. Mine is dead I wish he was here to talk like a parrot. Believe me, you will miss these days someday. Abeg you guys should allow him talk. Listen or pretend to listen to him. He needs company. Someone to chat with. As time goes by and he comes to realise that you guys are on his side, he will not talk too much again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Gebbson007(m): 11:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
rheether:
Your mum is the solution to his problem. Ask her to turn into a nag and I promise you, your dad will stop talking.

U wanna strtd civil war insyd ous
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by klebson(m): 11:48pm On Jun 10, 2017
Hey dude, appreciate and love the old pop while he's alive, bc someday u would wish u could turn back the hands of time..
Some of us wish we could bring back our dads from the land of the dead..!
Like a brother said, some gat shoes but gat no legs, some gat legs but gat no shoes, while some gat both and still complaining...

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by chinwegeo(f): 11:53pm On Jun 10, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Naijaarchive(m): 11:54pm On Jun 10, 2017
Its jxt old age... my dad does d same thing and i give him the attention anytime we are together... he talks till he sleep off... then i will walk him into his bedroom... if the chat takes place in the sitting room... i actually like... give him the attention needs nw or you might regret it later.... stop complaining u wil get there someday too... btw thank ur stars his own his been a talkative nd nt forgetfulness,perfectionist or total kid atitude

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by bonifieldstun(m): 11:55pm On Jun 10, 2017
Well...... Op ur dad is ya dad no matter what. everybody has their own defect some people defect are to steal, womanize, smoke weed, rape Etc nobody is perfect u go soon get ya own house na e remain small jess deal with it,
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by chinwegeo(f): 11:56pm On Jun 10, 2017
You shld be glad you have a father undecided
most of us buried ours when we were young embarassed
I wish my father who died blind is alive today

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by delishpot: 11:57pm On Jun 10, 2017
sorextee:
See ehn, back then, my dad will be talking, I will walk out of him angrily. Sometimes even slammed the door sef... Due to d fact that my dad doesnt smell thngs, it gave me d liberty to smoke in my room. I was feeling like one big boy, not knowing I was a big fool.. Wen I came back to my senses(repented) I cried dat day, thinking about all the things I did in d past.. Now, wen I go visit him, if him dey para for me, I still dey kneel down apologize... Even though im 30..

So the op doesnt know what hes saying I swear..

Yes o. I know he feels like there is plenty of time because he sees dad regularly. Just that he doesnt know that each day is a blessing to be enjoyed. In a flash things can turn uoside down and that dad that was talking up and down will not be talking again. I hope he and his family get to patch things up and enjoy dad.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Ginaz(f): 11:59pm On Jun 10, 2017
TheGreatIYANU:

LOL! Dude you got no chill. Respect your elders.

As for you OP @DY20 DY20

I want you to do something. Zoom into the future, 40 - 50 years from now. I don't know how old your dad is now but he may not be around for you and your siblings anymore.

It is at that point you will start to value him, love him and wish he was around to even talk the life out of you.

Don't wait for that time to come. Value him, Respect him and Love him for who he is now.

I don't want you to cry 'I wish I knew' in the forthcoming years.

MODIFIED: Ginaz God bless for your comment. I have already written mine when I saw yours above. Tell Op!

He wasn't just a grandfather to me, he took up the father role when my dad was no where to be found. And cos of it I never lacked a father figure in my life, he named me, raised me and he was the one who taught me how to read and write. Every Sunday he would read to me the book of Bible story, till I was out of junior secondary school he kept reading.

A week before he died he begged me to come live with him but cos of his overbearing talks I refused. The day he died all I could remember was him begging for me to come stay with him for a week. I took him for granted, I should have stayed if I knew that was the last time I would see him. The feelings of regret I went through I won't wish it on anyone....it was soul breaking.

He was the best but a talker, even worst than the o.p's father.

I wish I could bring him back to life and tell him I love him, I never told him that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Acidosis(m): 12:00am On Jun 11, 2017
How long have you guys experienced this?

Lately?? It just might be Logorrhea. This is mainly psychological. Nigerians do not care about their mental health, reasons we've come to accept every funny attitude as "normal".

All we know is Malaria and maybe Typhoid. Meanwhile in reality, over 65 million suffer from mental illnesses in this country. All we do is to sit down and make fun of the few walking unclad in the streets.

http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/64-million-nigerians-suffer-from-mental-illness-prof-nebo/
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Nobody: 12:02am On Jun 11, 2017
what...
i love it when my dad talks, i listen attentively, contribute, we laugh & after couple of hours he will go to work, bed or watch network news.

His stories are always awesome though
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by ewa26: 12:04am On Jun 11, 2017
baby124:
I run away from such people because it's tiring. Sometimes you just want peace and quiet.
what d difference between Igbo and yoruba jollof rice pls
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by HillsBlaze(m): 12:05am On Jun 11, 2017
I always keep all of my friends off the house. My father don't who my friends are cos I hide em due to his "extra talking". But also try engaging with him respectfully and maybe you can get him to calm down.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by herrdeustch: 12:07am On Jun 11, 2017
Just ask him to meditate on this verse Psalm 141:3 'Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips.' He will find the inner Spiritual strength required to keep a very disciplined tongue. Usually, talkativeness is a sign of spiritual slackness. When one is spiritually alert, words spoken are very few and high quality.
DY20:
Hi Nairalanders!

"My dad talks too much" and by saying too much I did not mean he's crazy or something, I mean he talks sensible thing for an absurd long period of time.

Let me use 5 out of million of scenario to define my case.

1. Anytime the family is complete inside the house, and everyone is quiet; busy with something, I browsing on my phone, my little brother playing video game, my sister using beads, mum watching TV and my dad? Talking. When it is very obvious that no one cares to listen, he continue talking.

2. If any of my friends came to visit me, they will become my dad's guest. From the very first moment they say "Good morning" to him, he started talking, asking them questions, essp about their work, school, and talking about his own life too. Like what is happening now, I can see awkward smile on their face as they listen but just don't want to walk away leaving him embarrassed.

3. One day, I was chatting with girlfriend till late in the night, he woke up and say a light in the male children's room, he came in and started accusing me of internet fraud. We talked and talked till we settle it at dawn. From 2 to 4.30. In the morning, my dad started the topic with my mum again.

4. He talks every seconds when he is in the house or when anyone is with him.

5. He make anyone he saw with me (or any of my siblings) to introduce themselves. Indoor or outdoor.

I don't usually talk about my family affair with people but nobody knows me here or my dad.

I just want to know how to handle situation like this because I've started thinking of leaving the house. Maybe I'll learn to accept him when I don't see him everyday.

See? He is starting already... continues to talk when I'm not even looking at him.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Mayor38(m): 12:09am On Jun 11, 2017
You beta thank God you still have a father. Some people didn't even grow up with
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Tosinmedia(m): 12:10am On Jun 11, 2017
JeffreyJamez:
Op do exactly as I say.

When he starts to talk just say "Dad?"....when he answers , you now yell." CAN YOU PLEASE!! FOR ONCE!! SHUT...THE....FVCK....UP..FOR JUST 5 MINUTES!!... PLEASE!! CAN YOU DO THAT?!!!".

now there are 2 outcomes to this, he's either shocked and keeps quiet for days ...or

You'll be in a body bag! grin
I support you
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by wickedtuna: 12:11am On Jun 11, 2017
Wear him a parrot costume and lock am for cage cheesy
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by emynicedgreat: 12:11am On Jun 11, 2017
Bro I understand the predicament you are passing tru. he is just showcasing signs of old age. spend more of your time with ur peer. Don't allow his attitude to weigh you down.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by TheGreatIYANU: 12:21am On Jun 11, 2017
Ginaz:

He wasn't just a grandfather to me, he took up the father role when my dad was no where to be found. And cos of it I never lacked a father figure in my life, he named me, raised me and he was the one who taught me how to read and write. Every Sunday he would read to me the book of Bible story, till I was out of junior secondary school he kept reading.

A week before he died he begged me to come live with him but cos of his overbearing talks I refused. The day he died all I could remember was him begging for me to come stay with him for a week. I took him for granted, I should have stayed if I knew that was the last time I would see him. The feelings of regret I went through I won't wish it on anyone....it was soul breaking.

He was the best but a talker, even worst than the o.p's father.

I wish I could bring him back to life and tell him I love him, I never told him that.

DY20! DY20!! DY20!!!

How many times did I call you? Come and Learn. Thank you Ginaz for sharing. Of a truth we easily take those who love us for granted. It's a lesson for you and now you're paying it forward - educating others. God bless your heart.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by farouk0403(m): 12:21am On Jun 11, 2017
Op you are lucky to have a Dad you need to appreciate him because oneday you will wish to see him talking from morning till night,

you will wish to have a glance at him even once

you are lucky to have a talkative dad, who knows may be you have already inherited the trait from him its obvious from your write up.
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by U2ice(m): 12:33am On Jun 11, 2017
feelgoodInc:

I'm not sure you had a father when you were growing up, that's because your mama was a joke, you're a low life B. A. S. T. A. R. D
fnnk the mods.

Haba e never reach dis stage na guess u didn't get d joke

Anyways Wetin concern me for Wetin no concern me

One advice

Next time keep ur 'talkative' dad away from d internet lipsrsealed
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by bknight: 12:33am On Jun 11, 2017
sexybbstar:
My maternal grandfather too is like that and my mum and her siblings always dread his visit. Even I as the grand daughter don't enjoy the home during his visit. Cook beans for him(wahala), cook rice (wahala), prepare amala(problem).. Give him pounced yam(u are the best). He would tell everyone when he returns home how you prepared rice for him instead of pounded yam(he can eat it 3 times daily for the rest of his life). He can travel from one state to another to visit another child and relate the story of how u cooked rice for him. One of his daughter in law made a big mistake by preparing bread nd tea, I swear if he's a journalist it would be all over the newspapers.
Secrecy is not in his dictionary... He would tell everyone how the husband of his daughter hasn't bought a car for her.... Nonsense all through Sha.

He's not even caring... Whenever he's coming to to visit, he would keep a small cane in his bag incase my siblings misbehave(can u imagine)

But grandma is a total opposite of him(the best grandma in the world)

I literally laughed myself to tears
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Burgerlomo: 12:34am On Jun 11, 2017
MDsambo:
Duct tape him

Bad guy grin
Re: Nairalanders Help! My Dad Talks Too Much. by Lexxie247(m): 12:40am On Jun 11, 2017
feelgoodInc:

I'm not sure you had a father when you were growing up, that's because your mama was a joke, you're a low life B. A. S. T. A. R. D
fnnk the mods.
Hey man, what the guy said was just a joke nothing serious , he really didn't meant what he said you dn't have to be so hard on him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Lady Dies One Month After Her Wedding. Photos / I was Locked In a Room For 7 Months and forced to marry Him: Wife tells judge / Blessing Oko Ikpor: Bank Manager Husband In ‘Secret’ Wedding Saga In Rivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.