Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? (1212 Views)

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 11:27am On Jun 11, 2017
Just curious. For many Christians, tongues are mysteries. Many times when we speak in tongues we do not understand what we speak, and frankly, I do not think we should.

Apostle Paul mentions that our understanding is not fruitful when we speak in tongues. But there are many of our Pastors on TV who speak in tongues while praying for the congregation, as though, as it were, they communicate intelligibly.

I am also not entirely sure how Tongues and prophecy - which is meant to be interpreted, differs. I understand an example of prophecy to be those spoken and interpreted in many of our traditional churches, one of which I grew up - Cherubim and Seraphim.

So, for some of us knowledgeable in this, are we meant to grow to a point where we can understand our tongues?

Thanks.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by dingbang(m): 11:32am On Jun 11, 2017
I don't even like going to churches where almost all the members are shouting in tongues... I could just get angry and leave the premises because its noise to my ears..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by joe4real12: 11:33am On Jun 11, 2017
Acts 2:6-8 says speaking in tongues means speaking languages understood by people to teach them them God's word.
Read Acts 2 verses 9 to 11

1 Like

Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 11:43am On Jun 11, 2017
dingbang:
I don't even like going to churches where almost all the members are shouting in tongues... I could just get angry and leave the premises because its noise to my ears..

I used to before. It makes me feel intimidated, like I wasnt a Christian enough. And many pple over do it. They speak in tongues at the slightest; even when the pastor has just asked you to give thanks o.

But its a beautiful gift for those who understand the purpose
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by dingbang(m): 11:44am On Jun 11, 2017
Venerable612:

I used to before. It makes me feel intimidated, like I wasnt a Christian enough. And many pple over do it. They speak in tongues at the slightest; even when the pastor has just asked you to give thanks o.

But its a beautiful gift for those who understand the purpose
lol na so na.. They be deceiving themselves..

Bible says.. If I can speak all the tongues in this world and I have no love in me, I am nothing

3 Likes

Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 11:47am On Jun 11, 2017
joe4real12:
Acts 2:6-8 says speaking in tongues means speaking languages understood by people to teach them them God's word.
Read Acts 2 verses 9 to 11

You see this verse confuses me if you consider it with I corinthians 14: 2- 3.

"2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfocomfort."

I wish someone can enlighten me
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Outofsync(m): 12:04pm On Jun 11, 2017
hmm

This is deeper than is presented.The answer is both yes and no.

Yes, OP, in the sense that tongues are meant to be interpreted. Paul clearly says this in 1Cor chapter 14 vs 13.

Again, no in the sense that tongues are a spiritual language.
Whoever is conversing in tongues is speaking directly to God and no man can understand him naturally.

Let me say this, every Christian should speak in tongues. Its not something mystical reserved for the few.

Shalom.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by tochivitus(m): 12:06pm On Jun 11, 2017
dingbang:
1 Corinthians 14 - 4
1 Follow the way of love and
eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit,
especially prophecy. 2 For anyone
who speaks in a tongue does not speak
to people but to God. Indeed, no one
understands them; they utter
mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the
one who prophesies speaks to people
for their strengthening, encouraging
and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks
in a tongue edifies themselves, but
the one who prophesies edifies the
church. I think u understands better now
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by tochivitus(m): 12:07pm On Jun 11, 2017
dingbang:

_1 Corinthians 14 - 4
church. I think u understands better now_
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 12:17pm On Jun 11, 2017
Outofsync:
hmm

This is deeper than is presented.The answer is both yes and no.

Yes, OP, in the sense that tongues are meant to be interpreted. Paul clearly says this in 1Cor chapter 14 vs 13.

Again, no in the sense that tongues are a spiritual language.
Whoever is conversing in tongues is speaking directly to God and no man can understand him naturally.

Let me say this, every Christian should speak in tongues. Its not something mystical reserved for the few.

Shalom.

I get this dilemma. I think when we pray in tongues, we pray to God and the Spirit Itself helps to pray, so that we do not need to understand what we are praying for. But when Pastors do this on the pupilt and people say Amen, do the pastors pray in tongues by faith, or they understand what their prayers means. I am also curious as to what prophecy means; I mean the one to be interpreted - I cor 14:3.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by dingbang(m): 12:18pm On Jun 11, 2017
tochivitus:

_1 Corinthians 14 - 4
church. I think u understands better now_
love is the ultimate bro.. Speaking to God is called prayer.. God understand English too..

1 Like

Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Outofsync(m): 12:31pm On Jun 11, 2017
Venerable612:

I get this dilemma. I think when we pray in tongues, we pray to God and the Spirit Itself helps to pray, so that we do not need to understand what we are praying for. But when Pastors do this on the pupilt and people say Amen, do the pastors pray in tongues by faith, or they understand what their prayers means. I am also curious as to what prophecy means; I mean the one to be interpreted - I cor 14:3.
Sighs.

That is the problem today. Pastors seeking to impress the congregation will start doing what they know is unscriptural. Please don't ever say Amen to those. It is not biblical and even dangerous.

Prophecies are one ofGod's way of edifying us Christians.

Simply put, they are God's words and instructions to the congregation.

I'm on mobile right now so I really can't type long.

Suffice to say prophesies always comes out of a true Christian gathering.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by olarwhumy6(f): 3:58pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hmmmm, so speaking in tongues is different frm prophesy? Pls I'm also curious, Wat if one speaks in tongue nd immediately deres an another also in d spirit interpreting Wat d first was saying? Wat will one call dat?
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by mzhorlah(f): 9:31pm On Jun 11, 2017
tongues can be interpreted. some people receive the understanding to what they are saying when they speak in tongues, in fact when you speak in tongues and your mind is sensitive to receive from God, you will receive something and that's the interpretation to your tongues.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 6:48am On Aug 10, 2017
Outofsync:

Sighs.

That is the problem today. Pastors seeking to impress the congregation will start doing what they know is unscriptural. Please don't ever say Amen to those. It is not biblical and even dangerous.

Prophecies are one ofGod's way of edifying us Christians.

Simply put, they are God's words and instructions to the congregation.

I'm on mobile right now so I really can't type long.

Suffice to say prophesies always comes out of a true Christian gathering.

I think you are right. We are not meant to say Amen when others pray in tongues... even pastors... because we do not understand what he they are praying for. We can only do so when they prophesy. I just do not know if prophecy can also come in form of tongues. It was as if Apostle Paul was referring to Prophecy as some form of tongues too. It's a shame that there is not much authority on the matter.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 7:06am On Aug 10, 2017
olarwhumy6:
Hmmmm, so speaking in tongues is different frm prophesy? Pls I'm also curious, Wat if one speaks in tongue nd immediately deres an another also in d spirit interpreting Wat d first was saying? Wat will one call dat?

Hello,

I believe you are referring to the form of prophecy and interpretation found in our traditional churches and Celestial and K&S. I think that that is prophecy. It is a gift to those who can speak and interprete the tongues, and it is perhaps the one that apostle Paul was referring to as what we should aspire towards in I cor 14... because only prophecy edifies the church.

However, I do not think it is a sign of the Holy Ghost baptism. The ability to speak in tongues comes when a person receives the Holy Spirit, put differently l, baptised in the Holy Spirit after they give their lives to Christ. This kind of tongue, I assume, cannot be interpreted by anyone except God gives the person speaking understanding - but apostle in I cor 14 himself said our understanding is unfruitful here because God himself prays through us.

Crux.

I think prophesy is a spiritual gift - just like the gift of faith, words of wisdom, interpretation to tongues etc in I cor 12. Not every one can have it, buh we can all pray for it and it's for the edification of the Church (the body of Christ)

Speaking in tongues is a sign of Holy Ghost baptism, Acts 1:8. Every Christian is entitled to this. And it's more for the edification for the Self.

I hope this helps.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Venerable612(m): 7:11am On Aug 10, 2017
mzhorlah:
tongues can be interpreted. some people receive the understanding to what they are saying when they speak in tongues, in fact when you speak in tongues and your mind is sensitive to receive from God, you will receive something and that's the interpretation to your tongues.

Please, is it possible to confirm this comment via a scripture?

I think that will really help. In my experience, I have found that our mind, even when we pray in tongues, paints a picture of what we want it to mean. I do not say you are wrong that people receive understanding of what they pray about. But I prefer to have a biblical authority for the matter so we could learn from it.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by mzhorlah(f): 11:42am On Aug 14, 2017
Venerable612:

Please, is it possible to confirm this comment via a scripture?

I think that will really help. In my experience, I have found that our mind, even when we pray in tongues, paints a picture of what we want it to mean. I do not say you are wrong that people receive understanding of what they pray about. But I prefer to have a biblical authority for the matter so we could learn from it.
its good to pray in Tongues and understanding.

check out what Paul said in 1cor 14:14-15. the best way to pray is pray in Tongues and understanding. when you pray in tongues, you need not to be scared of whatever comes to your mind

check 1cor 14:13 also

praying ain't a one way communication, its not only about us doing the talking, God talks as well.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by jnrbayano(m): 1:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
Jesus walked this earth full of the holy spirit but it was never recorded anywhere he spoke in tongues.

Tongues is given for a purpose. The devil who always try to mimic God, uses tongue as a weapon to propagate falsehood and instill spiritual pride in people who haven't received tongue truly as a gift from the spirit.

Worry about having the love of God in your heart and being compassionate.

Forget speaking in tongue if you don't have the ability and also if it doesn't conform to the guidelines which St Paul and other apostles laid down.

False tongue is number one devil's tool in congregation.
Re: Are Tongues Meant To Be Understood? by Timossa(m): 10:36am On Mar 20, 2020
This is a great thread and I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread one way or the other. I can see that you all are interested in the dealings of the Holy Spirit. There are Three ways and sources of understanding the things of God:

1) The Word of God (Bible)
2) The (Person of the) Holy Spirit
3) Other people who have walked with God and they have experiential and evidential spiritual insights and results both speakable and unspeakable.

I WILL SHARE YOU A LINK BELOW ABOUT THE MINISTRY AND DEALINGS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT BY EXPERIENTIAL AND EVIDENTIAL AUTHORS (SERVANTS OF GOD). PLEASE, MAKE SURE YOU READ WITH AN OPEN MIND (HOLY SPIRIT).

THE LINK:
https://eagleascend.com/tongues-and-interpretation/

God bless you as you read the article and your life will be blessed forever. My joy is to see you speak in tongues and later desire the gift of Interpretation of Tongues.

Most servants and men of God pervert the gifts of the Spirit given to them by adding their own fleshing desires and needs to the truth of the revelations given to them. Most of the deceit of gifts perversions happen with people that prophesy and I have seen many and if I and my duplicates were to be in that meeting, they will not get anything from us. The gift of tongues cannot be perverted you can either speak from the throne of God (utterance from God's Spirit) or speak from the kingdom of darkness (utterances from the marine, familiar, demonic spirit, etc) On the other hand, the gift of prophecy can be easily perverted when you mix it with money, items to be bought and other unnecessary things. There is no place in the scripture that a prophet or an apostle prophesied and asking you to drop money, fruits, goats, bags of cement, church bells, bags of rice before he/she gives you the full revelation. In fact, they even state the actual amount or figures of what they want from you... And the bad part, is when you don't have the means, they will ask other people in the meeting or gathering to contribute for you. This is not different from a sacrifice or ritual. I won't mention the names of churches involved in this, but you know yourselves.

Don't be deceived... If you have the gift of speaking in tongues and the interpretation as well, that means you have gifts equal to prophecy. So, you should stop envying your prophets, pastors or other men of God all in the name of prophecy. You should desire your own gifts too. The Holy Spirit of God will give you, He will allocate and apportion His gift(s) to you as He wills.

May God bless us all. Amen!

Venerable612:
Just curious. For many Christians, tongues are mysteries. Many times when we speak in tongues we do not understand what we speak, and frankly, I do not think we should.

Apostle Paul mentions that our understanding is not fruitful when we speak in tongues. But there are many of our Pastors on TV who speak in tongues while praying for the congregation, as though, as it were, they communicate intelligibly.

I am also not entirely sure how Tongues and prophecy - which is meant to be interpreted, differs. I understand an example of prophecy to be those spoken and interpreted in many of our traditional churches, one of which I grew up - Cherubim and Seraphim.

So, for some of us knowledgeable in this, are we meant to grow to a point where we can understand our tongues?

Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

(part 2) Traits Of Ogbanje Spirits. / Why It Is Dangerous To Talk Against Men Of God. / The Great Tribulation Has Ended.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.