Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,010 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? (16069 Views)

Lady Returns To Her Black Skin After Bleaching (Before Vs Now Photos) / Lady Who Started Bleaching At 19 But Has Stopped Bleaching Speaks (Photos) / Pela Tonye Okiemutie Responsible For Bleaching Many Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by KAYD007(m): 2:24pm On Jun 13, 2017
folakemigeh:
I love myself and i won't ever think of bleaching my skin because i am already fair in complexion kiss tongue

come hia angry what's wrong with you? who gave your the permission to display the pictures of my future wife on Nairaland? angry

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by KAYD007(m): 2:25pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ekakamba:
It ain't about just bleaching, if you truly love yourself you gonna stop artificial nails, eye lash, brow, sole, palm, laps, bumbum, bweast, arm, ear, eye, attachment etc grin tongue

haba mana....you know that's impossicant!
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by blaquebelle: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2017
folakemigeh:
I love myself and i won't ever think of bleaching my skin because i am already fair in complexion kiss tongue
Hope your market is selling undecided

14 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 13, 2017
Iamwrath:
weindon

ride on ....

hehehehe

I know yua lying ... you think i don't know the real you

YOU CRAVE FOR ATTENTION, WELL YOU HAVE IT.

PROVE YOURSELF A MAN BEFORE THE WHOLE WORLD AND TELL ME ABOUT MYSELF.

IF YOU DON'T OR GET IT WRONG, YOU ARE CURSED AND YOU BECOME AN EXCUSE OF A MAN"

IF YOU COME FROM A LINEAGE OF FAKE ASSES, THEN DON'T THINK EVERYONE WAS BORN THAT WAY.
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by lepasharon(f): 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
Rhoteabarca:
@ OP. Well said. Since we are proud of our natural hair, why can't we be proud of our natural skin too ? I'm proud of my hair nd skin colour nitemi. Racism starts from within ourselves. What a pity for Africans! #SMH

Africans don't love their natural hair. Mainly those in diaspora, don't claim their achievements.
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by maleekberry: 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
Lol bleaching ti taken over

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Iamwrath: 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
Eeeeweeehhh ooo , someone cannot play with you ?? Shooo , if you are a chick for real ,then you have issues , mental and emotional , what's with you people and anger issues and curses, did your bf breakup with you or something ? if that's the case, i can be your friend , virtually not physically , comfort you , talk to you .... you do have issues , first step to overcoming it is talking about it

I was joking about knowing you , i didn't expect such an immature comment from a pretty face like yours
StephDamielola:

PROVE YOURSELF A MAN BEFORE THE WHOLE WORLD AND TELL ME ABOUT MYSELF. IF YOU DON'T OR GET IT WRONG, YOU ARE CURSED AND YOU BECOME AN EXCUSE OF A MAN"

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Yewandequeen(f): 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ekakamba:
It ain't about just bleaching, if you truly love yourself you gonna stop artificial nails, eye lash, brow, sole, palm, laps, bumbum, bweast, arm, ear, eye, attachment etc grin tongue
That one pain you? She didn't bleach but her feet has two colours undecided
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Afonjanightmare(m): 2:34pm On Jun 13, 2017
StephDamielola:

ME TOO

Me three

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 13, 2017
blaquebelle:
Hope your market is selling undecided

Her desperation for attention is sickening

10 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by sekem: 2:44pm On Jun 13, 2017
lovelygurl:

Her desperation for attention is sickening

Jealousy na wetin go kii you

If you get market then sell it

Or else keep kwayet

No jus come here come dey spoil market for another pesin

Na im say make you no get good market to sell abi? wink tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jun 13, 2017
This is a well written article.
I think the problem is more sociological.Many ladies and people of color bleach because the society especially the men associates white skin with beauty,no thanks to the western media.It is similar to the way the western media used to portray slim ladies as beautiful,until black celebrities like Beyonce and Nicki Minaj etc started to embrace their ”curves“ ,now every lady irrespective of race wants to have a curve.

Similarly,if the black community starts to embrace blackness as the standard of beauty,the problem will reduce.But for now it is not the case,many ladies who are bleaching probably witness a boom in the number of their admirers when they started bleaching.It is a demand and supply thing.That being the case,more ladies of color would strive to achieve “whiteness” by bleaching.
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by IHate9jerians(m): 2:49pm On Jun 13, 2017
Jaynom:
When i have kids i'm teaching them everythig in the book of PROVERBS & 'self love'. Most Africans have been colonized mentally. We believe Europeans are the standard for beauty, we don't mind poisoning our bodies to look like em smh. "You can lighten your skin but it doesn't mean you're enlightened".
Oga,stop pointing fingers at the Africans who are "mentally colonized" because you are also in that group.Who brought the book that PROVERBS is in to Africans if not thesame colonizers you tried to foolishly criticize in your contradictory post

4 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by jashar(f): 2:50pm On Jun 13, 2017
lovelygurl:
Although the natural hair movement has gone very far and more black ladies are going natural, we can't change the fact that this is only mostly the case abroad. Just like it's more unlikely to bleach in Europe because the products are not even available in the first place.

I doubt self love is enough, banning + self love will be a better option. My reason being that most girls who bleach don't even see it as bleaching! It's either "the real complexion is coming out' or they just want to "tone" their skin etc

Some think avoiding hydroquinone is enough although the other ingredients in bleaching creams are as/worse.
Some even claim they can lighten their skin "naturally".

cheesy cheesy cheesy

where was it before biko?

Well, most ladies think that being fairer would get them more suitors + opportunities. And it works...

They are just trying to sell their market...

The day i discovered Kojic acid in my cream, i stopped using it. That stuff actually stops melanin production... shocked shocked shocked. Why would i wanna do that to myself?

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jun 13, 2017
bleaching is too much stress Abeg, this one no light how can someone mix cream and put in the fridge?, even the sun is terrible on my skin not to talk of when I bleach, the ones that even irritate me most are those with terrible stretch marks due to bleaching

2 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by famosh: 2:52pm On Jun 13, 2017
StephDamielola:

PROVE YOURSELF A MAN BEFORE THE WHOLE WORLD AND TELL ME ABOUT MYSELF.

IF YOU DON'T OR GET IT WRONG, YOU ARE CURSED AND YOU BECOME AN EXCUSE OF A MAN"

IF YOU COME FROM A LINEAGE OF FAKE ASSES, THEN DON'T THINK EVERYONE WAS BORN THAT WAY.
maami ti binu o!
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 13, 2017
Principe:
This is a well written article.
I think the problem is more sociological.Many ladies and people of color bleach because the society especially the men associates white skin with beauty,no thanks to the western media.It is similar to the way the western media used to portray slim ladies as beautiful,until black celebrities like Beyonce and Nicki Minaj etc started to embrace their ”curves“ ,now every lady irrespective of race wants to have a curve.

Similarly,if the black community starts to embrace blackness as the standard of beauty,the problem will reduce.But for now it is not the case,many ladies who are bleaching probably witness a boom in the number of their admirers when they started bleaching.It is a demand and supply thing.That being the case,more ladies of color would strive to achieve “whiteness” by bleaching.

I understand where you are coming from but according to your example girls of all races wish to have curves which isn't really true, especially when it comes to Asians.
I don't even think that's where we should be heading to. It should be about promoting every body type as well as skin color you are born with.
Embracing dark skin shouldn't mean fair skin is worse. It should be more of "being dark skinned is as ok as being fair". Or else it's going to be the other way round. Those who are naturally fair will want to be dark skinned

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by 9jasave: 2:58pm On Jun 13, 2017
self love? yes but it goes a long way than this. Black race especially African country need to grow economically and in technology to an enviable level because inferiority complex is really killing a black man. everyone wants to be identified with success
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by ziga: 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2017
folakemigeh:

There goes the problem.
Mental slavery
undecided undecided undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Jaynom(m): 3:02pm On Jun 13, 2017
IHate9jerians:
Oga,stop pointing fingers at the Africans who are "mentally colonized" because you are also in that group.Who brought the book that PROVERBS is in to Africans if not thesame colonizers you tried to foolishly criticize in your contradictory post
Bleaching is harmful. How is the book of PROVERBS harmful??
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by preccy69(f): 3:11pm On Jun 13, 2017
StephDamielola:

ME TOO
me three

3 Likes

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by preccy69(f): 3:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
lepasharon:

Africans don't love their natural hair. Mainly those in diaspora, don't claim their achievements.
speak for urself,I over love my natural hair
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Ginaz(f): 3:16pm On Jun 13, 2017
The mentality is real from the pix I can see!!! I thought the issue is about bleaching not a photo gallery section...

* Modified *

As for that girl that said she is fair and doesn't need to bleach, your feet are in how many colours?

What is going on here? sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Millz404(m): 3:17pm On Jun 13, 2017
folakemigeh:

because u fine, dats why u wan come give us high blood pressure
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by gwama: 3:23pm On Jun 13, 2017
I am not in favor of skin whitening, but I do not think we should take the problem from this angle of psychology. Is not that also a fad? Let us ask the question why the white woman browned "blackened" the skin and permanent hair to have them curled? undecided undecided
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by deedeedee1: 3:25pm On Jun 13, 2017
When you worship a white man as your lord and saviour or as a prophet of God, what do you expect? If i worship a white man as the son of God, that means God himself is white

1 Like

Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
ziga:

There goes the problem.
Mental slavery
undecided undecided undecided
so what should i have done, suntan my skin until it gets black to prove a point to you that i am an African?
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 3:32pm On Jun 13, 2017
My cousin told me about how her roommate was discussing with a friend about me. She said the gurl told her friend that "If you see handsome he is even as he is dark complexioned, you'll wish you were dark".

Black is beautiful, and I can never trade my dark complexion for anything.
Besides, what does it profit a woman if she is fair and still get black pu.ssy??
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 13, 2017
isn't self love the reason people bleach to begin with, it takes guts to change that which yhu don't love about yhurself, then what would yhu say about men who gym/ build up ,cause they don't love there natural physique.

if yhu think there is no stiga against pot belle men, slim men etc than think again or ask ladies which one they prefer, pot belle, slim/skinny men or tall built,broad shoulders,slim waist.

in as much as bleaching creams in the long run has side effects, what an adult do with there bodies this there own business.

self love is not just about accepting yhur self for who yhu are, Buh also a willingness to change the things yhu don't like about yhurself, no one is perfectly made, not blacks not white.
Re: Is Self-Love The Key To Ending Africa’s Skin Bleaching Syndrome? by ziga: 3:38pm On Jun 13, 2017
folakemigeh:
so what should i have done, suntan my skin until it gets black to prove a point to you that i am an African?

I'm sorry that you misunderstand what i meant.

You should't change anything about you. You look pretty and you have a beautiful skin tone.

But when you say you do not need to bleach, you imply that women with darker skin tones than you should bleach so that at the least, they can have your type of skin tone.

And that is exactly how the black race has been enslaved. The media glorifies the white skin to the point that anybody who is darker would have to rethink what their life is about.

Everybody is unique. And there is no standard skin tone to compare everybody with. We are all beautiful.

Peace. No bad feelings dear.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Grandma Wants Cosmetic Surgery To Make Her Look Older / Trendy Ankara Styles To Rock. / What Perfume Do U Use And How Much Does It Cost?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.