Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe (14050 Views)

Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Raintaker(m): 11:34am On Aug 20, 2017
correctguy101:

We nowadays attach too much meaning to the word "gods". It's simply those of ancient times, whose essence surpass that of mortals, most once lived on Earth, Some were killed here while others decided to just leave. Not a Yoruba but I definitely understand yoruba traditional beliefs and ancient history more than most Yoruba since I was born in the yoruba land.
Now you know Eshu means a double path hence the twins, Lanroye and Elegbara.

It's very interesting history I tell you. Meditating on the Pataki will trigger your brain to decode the import of each Pataki.
Wetin be Pataki?
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by correctguy101(m): 11:38am On Aug 20, 2017
Raintaker:

Wetin be Pataki?

Hahahaha, na Yoruba talk o.

All Yoruba born suppose know na. It's a way to talk about an event especially used when describing ancient events and the ancients themselves.

Just say Allegory no mind my ranting, na fired egg cause am.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Raintaker(m): 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2017
correctguy101:

Hahahaha, na Yoruba talk o.

All Yoruba born suppose know na. It's a way to talk about an event especially used when describing ancient events and the ancients themselves.

Just say Allegory no mind my ranting, na fired egg cause am.
Lol
l thought Pataki meant important.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by correctguy101(m): 12:14pm On Aug 20, 2017
Raintaker:
Lol l thought Pataki meant important.
lol, dat one join.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Godmond(m): 12:38pm On Aug 20, 2017
Pls, do mention me too, in your next folks tale. Following as if it was a live show. I love your write-up. This will make a great movie in this country.

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by SilvanusII(m): 1:06pm On Aug 20, 2017
You av done really well with this story. I had never thought Ose had to come from somewhere. Great tale
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by akigbemaru: 3:04pm On Aug 20, 2017
sheikshegetto:
Insulted and a little stung at his pitying dismissal, I cursed him and called him by rude names, my sharp tongue which had landed me in numerous hassles failed me not, days spent with lawless men and drunkards supplied me with vulgar speeches from which I held nothing back.

“You wool brained hideous bastard of a thousand fathers, you dare to call yourself an Orisha, you mistake of a deity, you dared to open that excrement filled maw you call mouth and compared yourself to Lanroye in all his divinity, perchance if you had ever sat to think why you stayed down here in your gods forsaken groove where no one visits you and you think it was because everyone feared you, then you must be dumber than you look.

No one wants to come near you because you stink to the heavens, your foul stench led me right from the edge of the forest to the hole you call groove, your brother wears robes made with golden linen, you’re here strutting about in skirts made of palm fronds, he dines and wine on a table of silver while you squat on plantain leaves and bones, eating carrion, and you dare to call yourself a god. I am not surprised for as we have beggars and mad men amidst mortals surely you must be the father and deity of beggars and lunatics, ‘‘arise from your rags thou beggar god and set your affairs in order for today, you have eaten your last human flesh, after I have silenced you forever, your dear twin will surely thank me for removing such embarrassment from his life.’’

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by billyG(m): 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2017
wow!yoruba has a rich myths & legends which can rival d greek legend of zeus,oddessieus,hercules,perseus,troy e.t.c if only they can collaborate with hollywood to to those to blockbusters lia muhammed do something.

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by vicadex07(m): 4:05pm On Aug 20, 2017
Wow I felt like I was watching an epic movie...Op you did a fantastic job... world class literature.

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by adesipe(m): 9:25am On Aug 21, 2017
First time I am reading aboit Our folk lore with a lot of suspense, action and drama. Well detailed and interesting. One will find there is a similarity on the stories of the gods in all folks. This just shows that there was really one god of thunder, and it applies to others. The stories were however told in a slightly different time and pattern.

2 Likes

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Legend44(m): 9:51am On Aug 21, 2017
Bravo.... full of suspense, I had to give it to my mum to read too..

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:12pm On Aug 21, 2017
IamCeazer:
Wen next yur writtin, pls mention me. I lov dis ur story..
thanks...I definitely will
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:13pm On Aug 21, 2017
AgentOfAllah:
You've got a very evocative style OP! Your character point of view help me see everything that was happening like it was a real memory. Very nicely done!
thanks...much appreciated
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:18pm On Aug 21, 2017
tobiit:
Yoruba folklore is one of the best of this world literature. My brother sheikshegetto, please give us some more like this. I so much love your story
thanks bro...growing up having a retired headmaster as a grandfather gave me one of the best childhood ever,in my free time,I will be sharing more of his folklores cos I believe I don't deserve to enjoy them alone.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:20pm On Aug 21, 2017
Dindondin:
Sheikshegetto, omo ire bi iyan (a good Child like pounded yam.
I enjoyed the folklore like abula.

I want more stories like this.
I dey use my head do illustrations of the story
grin thanks bro...glad you enjoyed it,I'm also a wild imaginationist...if there's a word like that.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:22pm On Aug 21, 2017
[quote author=Charlesdock post=59650720]I love Yoruba culture, I love this! Can we have some more? Infact can I have your whatsapp number? I have some questions to ask o.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 1:26pm On Aug 21, 2017
correctguy101:

We nowadays attach too much meaning to the word "gods". It's simply those of ancient times, whose essence surpass that of mortals, most once lived on Earth, Some were killed here while others decided to just leave. Not a Yoruba but I definitely understand yoruba traditional beliefs and ancient history more than most Yoruba since I was born in the yoruba land.
Now you know Eshu means a double path hence the twins, Lanroye and Elegbara. You're right on point bro....Eshu is also known to be a patron of unpredictability... Hence the wicked and honest side.,he might be belenovent today and callus tomorrow.

It's very interesting history I tell you. Meditating on the Pataki will trigger your brain to decode the import of each Pataki.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Ghoststory: 5:49pm On Aug 21, 2017
This is fantastic,I tell you.please looking forward to more of such

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Cloud007: 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2017
sheikshegetto:
“You have an interesting but fleeting mortal life ahead of you.’’ he said, I felt discomfort as his ancient eyes bored through me, farewell Jakuta the one who fights with stones, my blessings till our path cross again.’’

On saying this, Shokoti walked backwards into a doorway of mist and vanished, Elegbara’s remains dissolved in a bulb of vapor as the howls of the first of his children reached my ears.

“Are you ready to bite more monsters my sweet?’’ I sent to Oshe,

“Hurry up unless you’re afraid or I shall bite you instead.’’ it sent back.
With a laugh I roared the battle cry of my forefathers in challenge and raced to meet them.

The end. Bro.... Did god of thunder ever crossed paths with Shokoti again.... Either as Mortal or immortal. Besides any story about the legend Elder god-Shikoti in his Prime?
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Cloud007: 7:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
sheikshegetto:
“You have an interesting but fleeting mortal life ahead of you.’’ he said, I felt discomfort as his ancient eyes bored through me, farewell Jakuta the one who fights with stones, my blessings till our path cross again.’’

On saying this, Shokoti walked backwards into a doorway of mist and vanished, Elegbara’s remains dissolved in a bulb of vapor as the howls of the first of his children reached my ears.

“Are you ready to bite more monsters my sweet?’’ I sent to Oshe,

“Hurry up unless you’re afraid or I shall bite you instead.’’ it sent back.
With a laugh I roared the battle cry of my forefathers in challenge and raced to meet them.

The end.
Bro.... Did god of thunder ever crossed paths with Shokoti again.... Either as Mortal or immortal. Besides any story about the legend Elder god-Shikoti in his Prime?
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by VanTee20(m): 1:22pm On Aug 31, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed your story. You did a great job bro.

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Tadese96(m): 12:11pm On Oct 21, 2017
you have done well.
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by itsandi(m): 1:39pm On Oct 21, 2017
Nice story... Enjoy other cool stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Click!
Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Vulcanheph(m): 3:10pm On Oct 21, 2017
I am a big fan of mythologies,reading one from nigeria really makes me feel good...but i can't help but notice similiarities between this and greek myths.
Shango(god of thunder)-zeus.
Shokoti(god of weapons)-hephaestus.
Ogun(god of war and iron)-ares.
And the fact that shango has to get weapons from another god to defeat a god that eats people just like zeus....i wonder why two cultures that are so different have similar gods

3 Likes

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by akigbemaru: 3:58pm On Jan 17, 2018
sheikshegetto:
For more two days, I encountered other dwellers of the forest. Tree imps, gnomes and minor deities, but I paid them no heed for none of them was whom I seek. They also avoided me because of the dark aura emitting from Oshe, I was anxious to find my quarry as soon as possible for delay may prove costly for I still harbored hope of seeing my friend and bard, Obembe and the rest of my band alive.

On the third day, I began to despair and grow doubt, what if I was late, what if the elder god was lying and Oshe failed to cut the daemon deity’s divine skin and I ended up at the bottom of his stew pot, turning back had never felt so tempting, my purposeful steps began to falter as the dreadful thoughts ran through my mind, then I realized my adversary was the Orisha of despair and hopelessness, I then resolved in my mind that I must be getting close to the evil god’s lair which explained the change in my mood, turning back was never an option for I also have the price to pay for the weapon I had purchased, so I hardened my heart and pushed on.

The forest began to change as the trees grew thicker and darker and eerily quiet for I neither heard nor saw bird or beast, the grounds were littered with the bones of different animals so thick I waded on in a marsh of bones then I knew I had gotten to Elegbara’s groove.
Lo, I beheld the monster and nearly flew from his presence, for Elegbara was terrifying in appearance. A massive being, a single horn protruded from his forehead burned with unnatural black flame and chewing through a human skull with lion like teeth stained with blood, he was surrounded by dozen human corpses while he ate from a very large pot boiling with the same flame on his horn.

He was so engrossed in his gory feast that he failed to notice he had a visitor, I recognized some of the dead men as the lost members of my band and my heart fell further when I saw Obembe’s drum amidst the dead men. Reckless with righteous anger, I hollered boldly at the feasting god.

“Greetings Elegbara” I hope the salt is not too much and the meat not too overcooked.’’

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Olobitat: 10:33am On Jan 31, 2018
I could practically see the scenes in play, very beautiful and imaginative story

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Cloud007: 12:53am On May 06, 2018
This is the sixth time am reading this epic story. Sheikshegetto please give come up with something.... please.

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sheikshegetto(m): 5:43am On May 06, 2018
Cloud007:
This is the sixth time am reading this epic story. Sheikshegetto please give come up with something.... please.
currently workimg on one boss...will mention you as soon as i post it,might take a little while tho.... Cheers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sampz: 5:57pm On May 07, 2018
feed me more please

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by sampz: 5:58pm On May 07, 2018
please sir anytime u come up with something new do well to mention m

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2018
thanks...

1 Like

Re: Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe by Cloud007: 11:17am On Oct 24, 2018
Bro....we are waiting....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kutty And The Ghetto Story By Rounakid (kutty) / Achebe's Daughter Becomes Professor @ 39 / Punstars; Lets Play On Words.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.