Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,864 members, 7,813,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? (1066 Views)

What's Wrong With A Man Under 33? / What Makes A Man More Attractive To Women / If A Man Proposes Marriage And She Refuses. What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 4:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
I get baffled alot by this issue. Why do we stereotype people or tribes based on general assumptions? We even advise one another to desist from forming friendships or marriage alliance with certain tribes; This tribe is so rude, that tribe loves money, this tribe is so dirty, that tribe is so arrogant, authoritative and proud and the list goes on...

Sometimes we hear that south-south men are authoritative. Then i wonder; are these people authoritative because they are from the south-south or they are authoritative because they are men?

We also hear that a particular tribe loves money. Again i ask; Was there no love of money before the formation of that tribe?

Do tribes makeup people or people make up tribes?

Fellow Nairalanders, please feed-in your perspectives...

Let's talk....
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by dingbang(m): 4:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
I think people make up tribes...
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Kondomatic(m): 4:52pm On Jun 17, 2017
I will not talk to/with you bro because it is impossible to be honest and not sound like a tribalist.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
mmmmmmmm. my dear I can date any tribe but not hausa Muslim. they are not good oooo, they can give love portion for africa. even your family no go know you again

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by marvin902(m): 4:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
people make up tribes..
my only concern is the rate at which the east and west are after each other heads.. undecided undecided undecided
is almost seen as a taboo for Yorubas and igbos to have any business together..
a friend of mine wants to get married to an igbo girl and the trouble heading their way just amazes me
just cause hes yoruba...

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by RedBeauty: 5:12pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkowalo:
mmmmmmmm. my dear I can date any tribe but not hausa Muslim. they are not good oooo, they can give love portion for africa. even your family no go know you again
Is this from experience
Does tribe really matter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 17, 2017
GoldenSpine24:
I get baffled alot by this issue. Why do we stereotype people or tribes based on general assumptions? We even advise one another to desist from forming friendships or marriage alliance with certain tribes; This tribe is so rude, that tribe loves money, this tribe is so dirty, that tribe is so arrogant, authoritative and proud and the list goes on...

Sometimes we hear that south-south men are authoritative. Then i wonder; are these people authoritative because they are from the south-south or they are authoritative because they are men?

We also hear that a particular tribe loves money. Again i ask; Was there no love of money before the formation of that tribe?

Do tribes makeup people or people make up tribes?

Fellow Nairalanders, please feed-in your perspectives...

Let's talk....
Would you blame them for such generalisation when it's obvious most persons exhibit such traits. Culture has always been one of the mitigating factors to behaviour of man kind. There are very few persons that don't behave the way certain tribes, places or people behave, you would wonder why. That's were education comes in because it reset your thinking of the way to do things, to accept people for who they are. If we had enough persons being exposed, stereotyping of people would have reduced drastically. It's because Inspite of education most persons are not ready to be exposed. They tend to hold their culture to high esteemthat they behave as they like. An average igbo man likes money, an average bini person likes travelling to Italy, an average urhobo man is polygamous in nature, among others. This traits have become a norm and a way of life for these tribes. I was thinking that the introduction of nysc would expose us to things like this so as educate one another but it failed woefully. To change this trend, it's important that each and everyone of us change some of this traits our tribes are accused of for a better society. The change begins with us.

Disclaimer The above analysis of various tribes are based on judgemental sampling and observations

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 5:27pm On Jun 17, 2017
Kondomatic:
I will not talk to/with you bro because it is impossible to be honest and not sound like a tribalist.

Thanks for your honesty in airing that. But of i may ask, what do you think the right thing should be?
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 5:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
dingbang:
I think people make up tribes...

On point sir. They make up tribes. So i guess it's the qualities of people that is seen that should be looked into not judging them based on tribes.. fair?
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Would you blame them for such generalisation when it's obvious most persons exhibit such traits. Culture has always been one of the mitigating factors to behaviour of man kind. There are very few persons that don't behave the way certain tribes, places or people behave, you would wonder why. That's were education comes in because it reset your thinking of the way to do things, to accept people for who they are. If we had enough persons being exposed, stereotyping of people would have reduced drastically. It's because Inspite of education most persons are not ready to be exposed. They tend to hold their culture to high esteemthat they behave as they like. An average igbo man likes money, an average bini person likes travelling to Italy, an average urhobo man is polygamous in nature, among others. This traits have become a norm and a way of life for these tribes. I was thinking that the introduction of nysc would expose us to things like this so as educate one another but it failed woefully. To change this trend, it's important that each and everyone of us change some of this traits our tribes are accused of for a better society. The change begins with us.

Disclaimer The above analysis of various tribes are based on judgemental sampling and observations

I love this. 100% Objective.
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
GoldenSpine24:

I love this. 100% Objective.
Yes thank you
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 5:32pm On Jun 17, 2017
marvin902:
people make up tribes..
my only concern is the rate at which the east and west are after each other heads.. undecided undecided undecided
is almost seen as a taboo for Yorubas and igbos to have any business together..
a friend of mine wants to get married to an igbo girl and the trouble heading their way just amazes me
just cause hes yoruba...

True tho. A lotta preconceived ideas breeds the fear of the unknown. You see families, parents and friends try to advise the intending couple thru sermons to guard them against what they themselves can't really explain or defend.
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 5:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
nkowalo:

Lmao.. really? how sure are you bout that?
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 17, 2017
No. it doesn't
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Amarabae(f): 5:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
Intertribal marriage is a choice, some fancy it, some do not.
History of Ethnic relations and stereotype in a country go a long way in shaping how people see others from different tribe.
All the same, if any one want to go into intertribal relationship, he/she are free to. Its their choice.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by dingbang(m): 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2017
GoldenSpine24:

On point sir. They make up tribes. So i guess it's the qualities of people that is seen that should be looked into not judging them based on tribes.. fair?
good enough
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by babyfaceafrica: 5:39pm On Jun 17, 2017
Tribe does not matter...love and money matters
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by GoldenSpine24(m): 6:11pm On Jun 17, 2017
Amarabae:
Intertribal marriage is a choice, some fancy it, some do not..
All the same, if any one want to go into intertribal relationship, he/she are free to. Its their choice.

I do wish more people see it from this angle. I have a friend who wanted to tie the knot with a lady from the east. His dad was vehemently against it. Even threatening to disown him. He used phrases like "Selling our culture", "belonging to a foreigner" ..... He went ahead to tie the knot in the registry. Years down the line, they got to love the lady. The father says that she is the best Igbo girl he has ever seen. An he told the dad: "she is the best to me cos she is my wife. However,there are more if only we dropped this blindfold and gave them a chance".
Im wondering what happens if two people fall in love and cos of ancestral stereotyping end up marrying one they do not love. When problems arise later in marriage... and he or she decides to think about the los-love..it can kill.
Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by christopher123(m): 6:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
I think that it is wise to hang and marry likes. ....I am not a fan of inter tribals

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by ednut1(m): 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
Part of the reasons we are still backward. My uncle married from our village. This same woman got him deported from uk, hasn't seen his kids since 2005. She called the police after a quarrel and told dem how he used to beat her even when they were in Nigeria. U wont believe this same man advised my cousin not to marry an igbo man after she got pregnant for him. 4 years down d line my cousin no see suitor. She finally grew liver carry her pikin go meet the igbo man for abuja did court wedding. Fuk tribalism abeg. It stinks

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Kondomatic(m): 7:09pm On Jun 17, 2017
ednut1:
Part of the reasons we are still backward. My uncle married from our village. This same woman got him deported from uk, hasn't seen his kids since 2005. She called the police after a quarrel and told dem how he used to beat her even when they were in Nigeria. U wont believe this same man advised my cousin not to marry an igbo man after she got pregnant for him. 4 years down d line my cousin no see suitor. She finally grew liver carry her pikin go meet the igbo man for abuja did court wedding. Fuk tribalism abeg. It stinks
Everything in Nigeria is part of the reason we are backward. I do not understand you people.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by Omoluabi16(m): 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
I am not a tribalist. I find it absurd how people dread anything inter tribal marriages. The success of any union depends on many factors.. way bigger than tribe. Nothing bad in it.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And Tribalism: What's Wrong With Stereotyping Or What Makes It Right? by busybeei5(f): 9:20pm On Jun 17, 2017
Insecticide

(1) (Reply)

Before Sending Nudes, Ask Yourself / Classic Pre-wedding Pictures / Sexual Height Of Foolishness At Fela Shrine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.