Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,710 members, 7,813,347 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? (1980 Views)

If This Isn't Happening In Your Church Then Just Know Your Pastor Needs Help / Michael McIntyre: Millionaire Who Hated God Gets Saved, Now Helping Christians / Is Religion Helping Ghana And Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by dalaman: 5:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
I've noticed that we are the most religious people that I know and I have been around the world. We give religion a very special place in our lives and society and it the resultant effect is nothing to write home about.

Why is that so? Nigeria remains the most corrupt country that I know and yes Nigerians are also the most fraudulent people I've come to know. We aren't honest and lack integrity and it shows in every facet of our lives. From our families to our institutions nothing is working because of our lack of integrity and honesty. Our society is a cesspool despite our over religiosity.

What have the religions we have been practising and our over religiosity done for Nigeria? Why haven't our over religiosity helped use change the way Nigerians transact business in this country? I am a businessman and the ease of doing business here is difficult because of our ways. Bribery is the order of the day. You'll have to bribe to get simple documents or know somebody for things to be done smoothly for you.

Why haven't our over religiosity make our employees more diligent at work? Our workers can not be trusted with anything. You treat them fairly and they take you for a fool. Employers are not left behind, they find it difficult to pay decent wages to their workers. Many don't even pay their employees their wages. I recently discovered the fraudulent activities of a pastor friend of mine and I almost cried for his employees. This man owns a security outfit that provide security services for one of the federal government establishment. The federal government pays him 70 thousand naira per security guard but he pays his gaurds 18 thousand naira and pockets the rest. The federal government pays him for the services of 12 guards but he only employed the service of 8 guards. This is what is obtainable in most places(especially government owned institutions ).

What about the corruption amongst our politicians and leaders? Most of our politicians are very religious and swear by the grace of God on their lives always. They attend religious programs always. They are always in mosque and churches but their deeds are there for all to see. They keep destroying the nation and it's people on a regular basis.

Why hasnt our over religiosity helped us curtail our tribalism, religious segregation and stupid ethnic jingoism? We see each other mostly amongst trribal and religious lines. The church in Nigeria today is nothing but where fraudsters that call themselves pastors fleece the members of their church by promising them false hope and goodies while the mosques in Nigeria is where hate and intolerance is preached.

Why is our case very different because I've seen religion being used to build stable and functional societies example UEA and Qatar . These are two societies I've been to where I've seen religion being used to shape the lives of the citizens in a positive way. Why is our own case different?

What has religion done for Nigeria? Why are we overtly religious but very empty?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by idesylvester(m): 5:07pm On Jun 17, 2017
Because of the type of heart we have

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by chukslawrence(m): 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
Here to learn

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Ermacc: 5:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Every country, be it religious or irreligious has its own challenges. North korea is an atheist state and you can't say it's a significantly better nation in all ramification.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Elmojiid(m): 5:16pm On Jun 17, 2017
because it is a scam

5 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ermacc:
Every country, be it religious or irreligious has its own challenges. North korea is an atheist state and you can't say it's a significantly better nation in all ramification.

nothing concerns North Korea and the OP

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by ScepticalPyrrho: 5:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
#Fact: Religion has never helped any country grow.

5 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Ermacc: 5:18pm On Jun 17, 2017
You cant compare Qatar with Nigeria. Its grossly unfair. There is no diversity in tribe, religion, language, culture, colour in Qatar. Nigeria is way bigger in size and population than Qatar. Qatar's success has very little to do with religion.
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Ermacc: 5:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

you are wrong.
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by dalaman: 5:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ermacc:

What has our over religiosity done for us? I thought Nigerians claim that being religious is a good thing. Why hasnt it helped us in anyway?

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by felixomor: 5:54pm On Jun 17, 2017
Saudi, Dubai, India etc are more religious than us.
Yet they are ahead and developing more than us.

Our problem is failure of leadership and lack of honesty.
Its an African problem as a whole.
Its not religion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 6:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:37pm On Jun 17, 2017
Elmojiid:
because it is a scam

You didn't read the op . According to him , religion has been used to make countries especially in the middle east great .

But who atheism help ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
#Fact: Religion has never helped any country grow.

You are ignorant . stark ignorant

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

It is a pertinent response bro . At least if sir dalaman is insinuating becoming an atheist state as a recourse , then we have myriads of failed atheist states like North Korea .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2017
dalaman:

What has our over religiosity done for us? I thought Nigerians claim that being religious is a good thing. Why hasnt it helped us in anyway?

Because most of us are practicing it the wrong way . Look at the conflagration that consumed that tower in London , religious organizations were one of the first to lend a helping hand to the people affected by the adversity. The churches , the mosques were flung open to accommodate the people in need. Religious people also provided relief materials for them .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Deicide: 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Lol look at who is Talking............... grin
[img]https://1.bp..com/-iFHWF9x2Xbo/V_zDMVRonXI/AAAAAAAAouo/e8lUJl-fMeM26tC6HfEgCb84VEafQg5GgCLcB/s1600/lord3.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 6:58pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

It is a pertinent response bro . At least if sir dalaman is insinuating becoming an atheist state as a recourse , then we have myriads of failed atheist states like North Korea .

no its not, I don't know where he "insinuated" atheism, he even gave religion some credit for development of some countries

then again its your way to connect atheism to almost any thread one way or another so its no surprise you're supporting someone who did what you do, is it?

6 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 7:02pm On Jun 17, 2017
Deicide:

[img]https://1.bp..com/-iFHWF9x2Xbo/V_zDMVRonXI/AAAAAAAAouo/e8lUJl-fMeM26tC6HfEgCb84VEafQg5GgCLcB/s1600/lord3.jpg[/img]

Hahahahahahahahaha

that church seems to contain lots of thugs and mentally deranged people, if they aren't then at least they're pretending to be thugs and mad people

3 Likes

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by ScepticalPyrrho: 7:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

grin
Here he comes again...
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Deicide: 7:06pm On Jun 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

Hahahahahahahahaha

that church seems to contain lots of thugs and mentally deranged people, if they aren't then at least they're pretending to be thugs and mad people
Hahahahaha But who knows they might be Helping Africans or the country by behaving like lunatic on the street
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by judedwriter(m): 7:09pm On Jun 17, 2017
Religion is powerless...relationship with God is what brings power that can change lives and the nation. Many people don't have an effective relationship with God...that's the major problem.
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by hopefulLandlord: 7:09pm On Jun 17, 2017
judedwriter:
Religion is powerless...relationship with God is what brings power that can change lives and the nation. Many people don't have an effective relationship with God...that's the major problem.

https://www.nairaland.com/3844519/meaninglessness-deep-personal-relationship-jesus
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by stonemasonn: 7:33pm On Jun 17, 2017
It is another means to an end
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by OtemAtum: 7:42pm On Jun 17, 2017
judedwriter:
We are Gods and that's enough for us. Any external skydaddy is nothin but a dunce, eg Yahweh, Allah, etc.
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by dalaman: 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

And I insinuated atheism where? You don come up again o.
Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
Deicide:

Look at who is replying grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by Deicide: 8:25pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Look at who is replying grin
I wasn't replying

1 Like

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

no its not, I don't know where he "insinuated" atheism, he even gave religion some credit for development of some countries

then again its your way to connect atheism to almost any thread one way or another so its no surprise you're supporting someone who did what you do, is it?

You seem uncomfortable when I tell the truth . I mean most atheist states are failed states . And if his intent was to suggest atheism as the solution , then its obvious that it will never work out . Just giving you guys a heads up in case any tries to even tacitly suggest atheism . No harm intended smiley . Just saying the truth as always

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by felixomor: 8:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

You seem uncomfortable when I tell the truth . I mean most atheist states are failed states . And if his intent was to suggest atheism as the solution , then its obvious that it will never work out . Just giving you guys a heads up in case any tries to even tacitly suggest atheism . No harm intended smiley . Just saying the truth as always

Exactly grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
Deicide:

I wasn't replying

I know

Re: Why Isn't Religion Helping Nigeria? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
felixomor:

Exactly grin

He's probably hitting himself knowing that their plans failed . grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plot To Kill Oyedepo And Pastor Suleman Exposed / Apostation In Xtianity / God Raised A Dead Child Through Popular Enugu Priest Rev. Fr. Mbaka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.