Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,887 members, 7,810,419 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing (14902 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by swiz123(m): 7:55am On Jun 19, 2017
thanks for the insight Mr op,but the aforementioned words are too common not to be known by an average literate Nigerian.Any slay mama who can't write those word correctly,albeit can't compose sentences correctly too.so,when chatting with them you will still know,unless they are the type that reply with single word.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 19, 2017
Any writer who doesn't know all that needs to stop writing asap.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by swiz123(m): 8:00am On Jun 19, 2017
common mistake most folks make is,when to use whom and who.
in most cases,the adjectives...practically,technically,basically,literally,actually,are wrongly used
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:15am On Jun 19, 2017
check out this popular atomic bomb "there is no any!"

i think we should recommend Queen premier english grammar to all these people abusing the language upadan.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by sarahade(f): 8:29am On Jun 19, 2017
tintingz:
Slay mamas be typing kk, y, gud mrn, hw r u, fyn.. Etc Like WTF, simple spelling most them can't spell correctly.

They type 'kk' why can't they just type 'OK', is something wrong with their keyboard?
angry angry men do it also

2 Likes

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by joenor(m): 8:38am On Jun 19, 2017
Abeg go, u feel say I never see your face, u fit born this kind fine daughter?
BEATDABOOKIES:
I swear with ma life DAT Evans tribe wont marry my daughter cry
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Chidinmaluv22(f): 8:52am On Jun 19, 2017
educative
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Estiara(f): 9:01am On Jun 19, 2017
swiz123:
common mistake most folks make is,when to use whom and who.
in most cases,the adjectives...practically,technically,basically,literally,actually,are wrongly used

These are not adjectives, but adverbs.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 19, 2017
muyibaba222:
Go back to primary school if you can't the phrases above properly

Correct yourself brother.

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by paix(m): 9:16am On Jun 19, 2017
XXLDICK:
Anybody who doesn't know all these, should go back to primary School
We have them here on NL, using AM in place of I'M.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by nobsalis: 9:20am On Jun 19, 2017
ranson:
6. Been and Being -

This mistake is extremely common and embarrassing. I see this mistake very often even from people who claimed they are seasoned writers.

and u dint drop d correction

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by tintingz(m): 9:55am On Jun 19, 2017
sarahade:

angry angry men do it also
Lol, ofcos men do it but it very common among girls.

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by hardeywhale2: 10:12am On Jun 19, 2017
The way people use“ We“ and “will“ ehn will amaze u....
Example
I we arrest the OP
Instead of
I will arrest the ......
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Jovieeee(f): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2017
Nice.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Gidson05(m): 11:07am On Jun 19, 2017
I can never make this type of mistake, take this to primary school
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by muyibaba222(m): 11:15am On Jun 19, 2017
bonarhyme:

Correct yourself brother.
Thanks man
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by swiz123(m): 11:17am On Jun 19, 2017
Estiara:

These are not adjectives, but adverbs.
yea yea yea sorry....my bad.i wasn't thinking
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by Nobody: 11:28am On Jun 19, 2017
adekaden:
The introduction and popularity of abbreviation while writing has led to confusion and for some total ignorance when it comes to spelling English words correctly. Especially the female folks, most of them cannot spell common English words due to bad habits picked up during chats. If you doubt this , take most of your female friends on and see the trend...slay mamas, slaying the words. Some men are not to be spared in this, most of them feign knowledge even when their emptiness is obvious. Below are some common mistakes.

“Your” confused with “You’re”

[b]Your — Possessive determiner (specifies a noun), used to describe something that belongs to the person with whom you are corresponding.
Your customer is waiting.

You’re — Contraction of “you are.”
You’re a valued customer.

“They’re” confused with “Their” and “There”

Their —Possessive determiner, used to describe something that belongs to the people with whom you are corresponding.
Their manager is in a meeting.

There — Adverb, used to refer to “that location”.
There is a laptop you can use.

They’re — Contraction of “they are.”
They’re in charge of marketing.

“Its” confused with “It’s”

Its — Possessive determiner, used to describe something that belongs to an object.
The computer doesn’t work; its hard disk needs replacing.

It’s — Contraction of “it is.”
It’s time we told them the truth.

“Then” confused with “Than”

Than — Conjunction, used in making comparisons.
My lunch was better than yours.

Then — Adverb, used to situate actions in time.
We then ordered lunch.

Writing in a foreign language is no easy job, especially when your business may be depending on it. But the better you write, the better your reader will feel about you and your ideas.[/b]
Thank you and enjoy your week.

Learn more at http://www.fluentu.com/english/business/blog/business-english-correspondence/
thanks OP but i happen to know all these.
Mistakes i make are principally due to being absent minded.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by shumuel(m): 12:57pm On Jun 19, 2017
adekaden:
The introduction and popularity of abbreviation while writing has led to confusion and for some total ignorance when it comes to spelling English words correctly. Especially the female folks, most of them cannot spell common English words due to bad habits picked up during chats. If you doubt this , take most of your female friends on and see the trend...slay mamas, slaying the words. Some men are not to be spared in this, most of them feign knowledge even when their emptiness is obvious. Below are some common mistakes.

“Your” confused with “You’re”

[b]Your — Possessive determiner (specifies a noun), used to describe something that belongs to the person with whom you are corresponding.
Your customer is waiting.

You’re — Contraction of “you are.”
You’re a valued customer.

“They’re” confused with “Their” and “There”

Their —Possessive determiner, used to describe something that belongs to the people with whom you are corresponding.
Their manager is in a meeting.

There — Adverb, used to refer to “that location”.
There is a laptop you can use.

Op don't forget ''There'' is also used as a Possessive determiner, ''There + Is'' now in your example you forgot to add a '','' to show the speaker is pointing to a direction.

'There is a laptop you can use'; can also mean ''I have a laptop you can use'' which show the second function of ''There''

They’re — Contraction of “they are.”
They’re in charge of marketing.

“Its” confused with “It’s”

Its — Possessive determiner, used to describe something that belongs to an object.
The computer doesn’t work; its hard disk needs replacing.

It’s — Contraction of “it is.”
It’s time we told them the truth.

“Then” confused with “Than”

Than — Conjunction, used in making comparisons.
My lunch was better than yours.

Then — Adverb, used to situate actions in time.
We then ordered lunch.

Op, no one mistakes Then for than, it's actually a typo everyone makes, have seen big business men make this mistake, infact the first time i noticed it was in an Astrology Newsletter from an astrologer and have also found myself making the same mistake even when i know it's ''Then'' i want to type and not ''Than'', the same with ''Them'' and ''They''

Writing in a foreign language is no easy job, especially when your business may be depending on it. But the better you write, the better your reader will feel about you and your ideas.[/b]
Thank you and enjoy your week.

Learn more at http://www.fluentu.com/english/business/blog/business-english-correspondence/
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by donqx: 3:12pm On Jun 19, 2017
oh
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by slap1(m): 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2017
I'm guilty of none.
Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by lanrexlan(m): 5:21pm On Jun 19, 2017
tintingz:
Slay mamas be typing kk, y, gud mrn, hw r u, fyn.. Etc Like WTF, simple spelling most of them can't spell correctly.

They type 'kk' why can't they just type 'OK', is something wrong with their keyboard?
Yes there's something wrong with their keyboard. This is how it looks like

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Mistakes You Make Everyday While Writing by tintingz(m): 5:26pm On Jun 19, 2017
lanrexlan:
Yes there's something wrong with their keyboard. This is how it looks like

grin grin grin grin
Hahahahaha!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra University Shut Over Killing Of Female Student / History Of Some Top Nigerian Universities / Check UNN 2013/2014 1st Batch Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.