Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,020 members, 7,810,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 (28197 Views)

BREAKING: INEC Begins Dino Melaye’s Recall Process / INEC Pastes Notice Of Melaye’s Recall Process / Dino Melaye: Recall Process Begins As INEC Receives 6 Bags Containing Signatures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Islie: 6:53pm On Jun 22, 2017
Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja

The Independent National Electoral Commission says it has formally notified Senator Dino Melaye of the demand by the people of his constituency to recall him from the Senate.

It said that the decision to inform Melaye was taken at its meeting held in Abuja on Thursday, where the petition submitted by voters in Kogi West Senatorial District was considered.

The commission also said that it would issue a notice to the petitioners and Melaye on July 3, on when it would begin the verification of the signatures of those who signed the notice.

INEC ’ s National Commissioner and member Information and Voter Education Committee, Madam Mohammed Haruna, disclosed the commission ’ s decision in a statement in Abuja .

Aggrieved voters from Melaye ’ s constituency were at the commission ’ s headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday where they presented their petition on their demand for the recall of the senator.

Haruna said , “ INEC has held its regular weekly meeting today and considered the petition submitted by whole registered voters from Kogi West senatorial district to kickstart the process of recalling Senator Dino Melaye.

“ In accordance with the INEC guidelines for the recall of members of the National Assembly, the Commission has finally acknowledged the receipt of the petition to the petitioners representatives and has conveyed a letter notifying Senator Dino Melaye of our receipt of the petition.

“ The next step is to verify that the petitioners are registered voters in Kogi West senatorial district.

“ INEC will on July 3, 2017, issue public notice stating dates, time , location and other details for the verification of the exercise. ”

Kogi West , which Melaye represents in the Senate , has seven local governments areas.

Signatures and petitions from each of the local government areas were packaged in seven bags, which were tagged according to the names of the local governments, and submitted to the commission.

The local governments and the percentage of voters who signed the recall petition showed that Yagba West had the highest number of voters asking Melaye to return home from the Senate.

The breakdown, as shown in the petition is: Yagba West, 55.7percent; Lokoja, 54.8percent; Kogi, 52.77percent; Yagba East, 52 percent; Ijumu (Melaye’s local government ), 51.8 percent; Mopa /Moro, 50.4percent and Kabba/Bunu, 46.7percent.

A prominent member of the All Progressives Congress in Ijumu, Mr. Cornelius Olowo, who led the delegation had insisted that the constituents were not satisfied with the quality of Melaye's representation.

He had said, “ We want Senator Melaye back because of poor representation, he is also not accessible to us, he is unreadable and has no constituency projects.

“Apart from the fact that he has never called any town hall meeting, there has been a major gap between the senator and the people he claims to represent. ”

http://punchng.com/breaking-inec-writes-melaye-begins-recall-process-july-3/

lalasticlala

24 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by adetayo234: 6:56pm On Jun 22, 2017
It has started

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 6:58pm On Jun 22, 2017
Don Dino Melaye will be sweating 'where the sun don't shine' right now. grin grin
Not that I particularly pity him.

76 Likes 4 Shares

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Realdeals(m): 7:01pm On Jun 22, 2017
Aje kun ni yio je!

56 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by simpul(m): 7:01pm On Jun 22, 2017
Its becoming a reality gradually and Dino will be there still laughing until it will hit him like a tsunami.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by auntysimbiat(f): 7:03pm On Jun 22, 2017
NOTHING DO YOU. YOU RIGHT NOW !!
LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZ7srxTXC0

10 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by GasAndOilTheory(m): 7:05pm On Jun 22, 2017
PLEASE HOW CAN I RECALL SOMEONE FROM
LONDON

199 Likes 14 Shares

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by izospindle(m): 7:06pm On Jun 22, 2017
dino my guy nothing the mega..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:07pm On Jun 22, 2017
Observing....
Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by izospindle(m): 7:07pm On Jun 22, 2017
dino my guy nothing de mega.. bello is an amateur

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by DONGOYARO1: 7:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
Goner

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by EdCure: 7:09pm On Jun 22, 2017
simpul:
Its becoming a reality gradually and Dino will be there still laughing until it will hit him like a tsunami.
The guy doesn't seem to have anything to lose. His greatest dream, obviously, was to be called a senator... Judging by his manner of behavior since he became one.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Babacele: 7:21pm On Jun 22, 2017
hmmmm, nawa o.

1 Like

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by tesppidd: 7:27pm On Jun 22, 2017
Well this is getting quite interesting. Could someone pls enlighten me, what is the complete process of recall of a legislator? If all the signatures are verified correct what happens next? Pls someone tell me.

3 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Teewhy2: 7:28pm On Jun 22, 2017
I hope this recall can be a reality to show our leaders that power is in the hands of the people which will help strengthen our democracy. 3/4 of the people in the chamber needs to be recalled they don't contribute meaningfully to their constituency and hardly raise a motion in the chambers. They go there to collect retirement benefits, when it gets to election time they begin to share rice and oil and use touts to win the elections. I believe that assuming dino is not in saraki's camp he would have been suspended and asked to go and clear his issues.
As I dey view this thing it might end the typical Nigeria way just like the certificate issue, I won't be surprise to hear that most of the people that signed are not the voters but political touts.

Are you building on a swampy area, want to do pile foundation /Need Roof parapet.
Reduce the building load by making use of polystyrene material for your roof parapet and slab.
Click below to get more information

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene

17 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by thunder74(m): 7:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
This too will pass. As for me, I can't trust that Governor with multiple voter's cards to sponsor Dino's recall

1 Like

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by LUGBE: 7:38pm On Jun 22, 2017
Effort in futility

2 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by MaziOmenuko: 8:02pm On Jun 22, 2017
It haff begun. In case you are not yet up to date, here are the 10 steps involved in recalling a senator:

The steps are:

1 More than half of the registered voters in the Senator’s senatorial district write, sign and send a petition to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC alleging their loss of confidence in the senatorial

2 The petition must be signed, and arranged according to polling units, wards, Local Government Areas, and constituency.

3 INEC notifies the Senator sought to be recalled, stating that it has received a petition for his or her recall, if the petition is valid

4 INEC issues a public notice or announcement stating the date, time and location of the verification of signatures to the petition

5 INEC verifies the signatures to the petition at the designation. The signatories must be individuals who appear on the voters’ register.

6 INEC conducts a referendum if more than one half (50% + 1) of the signatories are verified

7 INEC writes to the petitioners stating that the minimum requirements for a referendum were not met, if the number verified is less than one half of the registered voters in that constituency. The petition will therefore be dismissed.

8 INEC conducts a referendum within 90 days of receipt of the petition if the minimum requirements for a referendum are met. The referendum will be a simple yes or no vote on whether the Senator should be recalled, and will be decided by simple majority of the votes of the persons registered to vote in that Senator’s constituency.

9 If majority of the voters in the constituency vote ‘yes’ the Chairman of the INEC will send a Certificate of Recall to the Senate President to effect the recall.

10 The Senate President will show affected senator the way out of the Senate.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/10-steps-recall-senator-nigeria

As it is, steps 1 - 4 has been achieved. The verification involved in steps 5 and 6 are near formality, I am sure that INEC will do that one with ease.
So the major step remaining is step 8 which is just like an election; but in this case, it will be a vote to recall and majority will win. I think the hard part has been achieved. The next step should be easier.

It will be interesting to see how Dino scales thru this one. Will he:

A. Go to court to stop the process or wait to see the end?
B. Lobby to have more voters on the day of actual referendum (this is the riskiest step)

His only move will be to go to court and try to frustrate the process. From the lower courts to appeal and to supreme while a court injuction is given to hurt the process until the final judgement.

It just 22 months till the end of his tenure, I guess he would go to court.

But then, this is interesting for our democracy.

***edited:
For those quoting me about verification You guys don't seem to get it. Verification is not a biometric exercise. It's just to cross check the names on the signed papers and confirm that those names were actually registered voters in the local govt. This won't take long. The list itself could be obtained from the local councils or state Electoral offices. What is left is for the owners of the named to come and sign against their names. INEC is not going to cross check signatures to see if they were forged or not. So my dear, verification is a done deal.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by GavelSlam: 9:06pm On Jun 22, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
It haff begun. In case you are not yet up to date, here are the 10 steps involved in recalling a senator:

As it is, steps 1 - 4 has been achieved. The verification involved in steps 5 and 6 are near formality, I am sure that INEC will do that one with ease.
So the major step remaining is step 8 which is just like an election; but in this case, it will be a vote to recall and majority will win. I think the hard part has been achieved. The next step should be easier.

B. Lobby to have more voters on the day of actual referendum (this is the riskiest step)

His only move will be to go to court and try to frustrate the process. From the lower courts to appeal and to supreme while a court injuction is given to hurt the process until the final judgement.

Except for judicial rascality, no court can trump the constitution.

9 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by senatordave1(m): 9:10pm On Jun 22, 2017
the journey to recall dino out of the senate has now reached the midway point and there is no going back now.since simon lalong's recall process passed the verification process in 2005 when he was an assembly member,this one would also be easy.by october latest,he would be booted out of the unhallowed chamber and out of nigeria politics forever and senator adeyemi would take over and continue the good work he stopped doing in 2015.up apc

7 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by senatordave1(m): 9:14pm On Jun 22, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

going to court would not help,the courts would treat it like an electoral matter and give it speedy hearing.since the law have been duly followed in the recall process.hes a goner

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jun 22, 2017
Good people of nairaland.com, please I need your help here.
https://www.nairaland.com/3877035/need-serious-financial-assistance
Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by IwillSucced(m): 9:28pm On Jun 22, 2017
Eyah... Hope this will not end his political career

1 Like

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Abeyjide: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
waiting
Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Dannyset(m): 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
If this recall is done successfully, it will be a stepping stone and another political tool against some of our leaders.

13 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by Pavore9: 9:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
If he is successfully recalled, other legislators go get high blood pressure!

18 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by freshmimi: 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2017

Anybody in the house who wishes to further his/her education abroad

Undergraduate, postgraduate, masters, e.t.c in any course

at $4000 only for any programme should kindly pm me for details.

Thanks in advance.

This is real!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by hardeycute(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2017
MaziOmenuko:

The 5 and 6 is the real deal.

I can bet Signatures were manipulated

12 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by moticonquer(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2017
This is becoming quite...in fact very sweet
Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by legendsilver(m): 9:30pm On Jun 22, 2017
Dino Dino Dino

Hope the gods are not angry with you?

This case is becoming too serious for you to ignored

2 Likes

Re: INEC Writes Melaye, Begins Recall Process July 3 by stevebond007(m): 9:32pm On Jun 22, 2017
This is a victory for Nigerian Politics
Viva Le Nigeria!!!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Godwin Obaseki: "Jide Tinubu’s Death, Huge Loss To Nigeria" / Nuru Khalid: Bandits Now Govern Part Of Nigeria - Imam Lambasts Buhari / Gov. Amaechi Slams DSP Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.