Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals (11065 Views)

FG To Privatise 6 Public Hospitals / Privatize Public Hospitals now; Medical Workers tells Presidency / 5 Abuja Hospitals You Should Know About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by MsTom(f): 3:37pm On Jan 28, 2010
A reason I would never be a nurse no matter how much money it brings in. The nurses and doctors in nigeria have non- chalant attitudes. Like they dont like the job they are doing. I bet the same would go for those outside nigeria too if not for the law suits. No wonder, I still have the pictures of nigerian nurses at the back of my head when I see doctors and nurses here. The best thing I discovered in this is for one to be aware of their own health and read about what you need to do. Cos these so- called doctors and nurses even those here know nothing. Sometimes, one need to give hints on what they need to check out,
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by MsTom(f): 3:41pm On Jan 28, 2010
Did someone say it doesnt happen in the states? It does. especially if you are black and if you dont know your rights.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by face969: 3:42pm On Jan 28, 2010
^^
Yes we naija like too much free this free that. Even in the UK when you come across some of those phillipino nurses in NHS hospitals u'd think u were back in gidi so its nt just here.
Whether its a boil  or a fractured leg or hiv/aids we must learn that quality healthcare dnt come cheap.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by jumie(f): 3:49pm On Jan 28, 2010
Aren't there Nurses or doctors in the house, who work in these places to attest to this truth?

calabaman:

No service dat comes cheap in this country is usually any good

@Calabaman,

Is it just about cheap service. How many people out there can afford the high fees demanded by private hospitals? Considering the fact that many of these nurses & doctors in these public hospitals are also well paid considerably.

Me still think these people derive some form of "pleasure" from the bad things they do to patients.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by atise: 4:07pm On Jan 28, 2010
Being a medic, i can't but respond to some of the stories that i have read here.

they are really horrible tales. and i really do sympathize with every one who has a similar story to tell.

i deal with children, the most vulnerable specie of patients, so i can give no excuse. However what is most galling to me is the hate talk in some of the posts! painting all Drs and nurses as if they are demons! AS THERE ARE BAD MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS, THERE ARE ALSO GOOD ONES!

i work with some of them (good ones) in my hospital daily. drs that donate blood for patients they dont know; that offset bills of patients who cant afford their discharge; that pay for drugs and investigations for patients that cant afford them, I know them.

i have kids, and when treating patients, i always ask myself 'if these were my kids, would i treat them like so?'

i can give many excuses why medical practice in Nigeria is a living hell, but there is no need. Our country does not value human life, , we must strive not to end up like it. this should serve as a wake up call to all drs and nurses who may act negatively to patients. u might be one someday, how would u like to be treated.

there are good medics out there, quite a number

i try my best daily to be one,

1 Like

Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by tmoses(m): 4:24pm On Jan 28, 2010
Even our so called presido cant withstand nigerian hospitals for his treatment
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by jumie(f): 4:34pm On Jan 28, 2010
@atise,

I guess you may just be one in a million. The issue is that the bad ones seem to be much more than the good ones.

I had an experience in LUTH, there was this nurse who all the other nurses hated because she was always responding to patients when they called on her. The will insult her and call her names like "Alaanu Samaria" i.e. Good Samaritan, etc. whenever she was about her duties, while the other nurses were just gisting at their station.

I think majority of them will rather let the patients suffer and will frustrate the attempts of good nurses.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by otondo55: 5:07pm On Jan 28, 2010
Na true talk !

God save us from this fellows.

Poor services in all Government agencies.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by face969: 5:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
U ppl dey 4get say we dey endtimes. It wasnt this bad 30 yrs ago. Humans r just changing for the worst. It doesnt matter if youre paying em to be humane or not.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by MsTom(f): 6:36pm On Jan 28, 2010
atise:

Being a medic, i can't but respond to some of the stories that i have read here.

they are really horrible tales. and i really do sympathize with every one who has a similar story to tell.

i deal with children, the most vulnerable specie of patients, so i can give no excuse. However what is most galling to me is the hate talk in some of the posts! painting all Drs and nurses as if they are demons! AS THERE ARE BAD MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS, THERE ARE ALSO GOOD ONES!

i work with some of them (good ones) in my hospital daily. drs that donate blood for patients they dont know; that offset bills of patients who cant afford their discharge; that pay for drugs and investigations for patients that cant afford them, I know them.

i have kids, and when treating patients, i always ask myself 'if these were my kids, would i treat them like so?'

i can give many excuses why medical practice in Nigeria is a living hell, but there is no need. Our country does not value human life, , we must strive not to end up like it. this should serve as a wake up call to all drs and nurses who may act negatively to patients. u might be one someday, how would u like to be treated.

there are good medics out there, quite a number

i try my best daily to be one,

Thank you very much. God will greatly reward you. My sister is also a doctor and a good one too. she donates blood, help the patients in her own way too. But then, the majority of the bad ones, have given me that phobia. I understand what the good doctors/nurses face too. The frustration can lead to all these maltreatment towards patients. No electricity (heard sometimes they operate with candles)- really bad, Regardless, I still have the phobia cos the ones you see arent always your family or friends or especially the good ones.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by adaphik(f): 8:25pm On Jan 28, 2010
Generally, customer care service delivery is hell in some parts of the world, especially Nigeria.      I think these individuals have a misconstrued orientation about their jobs, they believe they are rendering help & not rendering service. Which is absolutely unacceptable.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by martyns303(m): 8:49pm On Jan 28, 2010
@poster. God bless u for starting dis topic, i lost my grandmom 2weeks ago at BMH port harcourt, the doctors where doing trail and error with my GM while the nurses where sooo mean, one of them even said if my GM is better than those u've died. Just d night i was there almost 16 people died. My aunt is about putting this on papers and accuse the hospital of killing our GM.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by JadeWilliam(f): 9:08pm On Jan 28, 2010
Infact,as a registered nurse,i feel so ashamed reading al that was posted here.I won't lie here.Some nurses are uncultured,unethical,unpolished,hostile&self-loathing.But there are stil d good ones like me out there&i also know some kind drs&nurses 2.Its not only in d medical profession that we find such
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by kawkab: 9:29pm On Jan 28, 2010
From: http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/keshinro-hafees/and-luth-simultaneously-murdered-3-babies.html

…AND LUTH SIMULTANEOUSLY MURDERED 3 BABIES

Cc:

Governor Babatunde Fashola

The Minister Of Health

Vice President Good Luck Jonathan

January 19, 2010, was a sad day for my family, Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) killed the new addition to our family and two other babies, all the same minutes. This write up is not the ranting of a man mourning or feeling a lost and wanting to blame somebody, it is a piece meant to correct and if possible seek the punishment of the wickedness and lack of professionalism of the LUTH staff. We are sad not because we lost a child, but because our child was murdered.

Three babies (our daughter is less than 24 hours old) were killed by the nurses and doctors on night duty on the 18 January. The three newborns gasped, thrashed their legs, and fought for their existence under oxygen masks that can no further dispense. The oxygen simply finished while the staff on night duty went to sleep, allowing the cold hands of death to snatch the young children away. We were notified by 4.00 am on the 19th of the demise of our baby, who just the last night was a bundle of joy to our family. Our daughter could have been another Chimamanda , or Mary Onyali, or even another Nobel laureate.

Describing the nurses and doctors as wicked may sound rather harsh, but how do one explain a scenario in which a member of my family present, went to the nurses to alert them of the children gasping under the mask, and she was insulted and told not to disturb their sleep, with the false assurances that the babies were okay. She went to complain more than four good times but they refuse to heed. When the children died eventually, the other two parents were told they failed to buy the necessary drugs, ours was simply hinged on the act of God-the drugs of course had been purchased. Even one of their silly doctors promised that the baby would be revived, after 4 hours of being dead -talk about a miracle LUTH. Ever since this happened, LUTH has not issued a statement, no one has said anything, no one has been held accountable, the system of killing patients simply continued.

The painful part of this whole sad event is our wife still lies at the General Hospital recovering from a caesarian operation without knowing that her child has been killed by LUTH. She asks after her baby and we keep telling her she is recuperating in LUTH. Our wife’s blood pressure is high, why should we kill her with the news of the death of a child she went through trauma to deliver. Yes, surely at appoint she would be told, probably when she gets back home, but can any one endure the loss of a nine months old pregnancy to the wickedness and madness at LUTH. The inhuman act at LUTH could make any one contemplate the ‘cold murder’ of the nurses and doctors on duty, and those connected with the killing of the innocent 3 babies. From the nurses to the administrators who allow an almost finished oxygen cylinder to be used – it would all be a reminiscence of ‘A time to kill’ by John Grisham.

The sad journey actually started at the Orile Agege, General Hospital located at Ilepo bus stop of the Lagos Abeokuta express where the most amazing and crazy things in health care systems happens at the maternity section. Only one doctor and probably three nurses catering for about fifty women at a time- this is not an exaggeration. The doctor works round the clock and delivers an average of seven children every day, it also took him more than twenty four hours to write drug prescription for our wife who just had a caesarian. Most of the time, the staff are overwhelmed and they simply ignore the cries, and close their eyes to suffering pregnant women, until the babies head are out, or the ‘water has broken’ Why should a heavily pregnant woman who died on getting to the hospital be left inside the vehicles that brought her with people walking by to have a look at her already rigid body, that was beginning to look like iced stock fish.

Our wife delivered through a caesarian (one of my brothers said 9 out of 13 births he knows about the last 6 months were done through caesarian why?) and our baby was healthy except for breathing problems. They were first referred to ‘Ayinke house’ where there was ‘no space’ and later to LUTH. It took over an hour to get an ambulance to convey the baby after eventually fighting and cursing (how much is an ambulance for heavens sake), especially as they refused to use a regular vehicle. The question here is why should we have to get to ‘Ayinke house’ before discovering there was no space, couldn’t they have just call and alert them of patients coming or ask if they could bring a patient so they could be prepared. No wonder we are called a third world country!

Our health care system stinks, to say the giant of Africa, fifth largest producer of crude oil, and the largest black African country can not effectively run a health care system is a shame. Since we can not all go to the national hospital at Abuja or go to Saudi Arabia, can they at least let these hospitals function. At the said General hospital, they have no x-ray machine, not even an outdated one. Please could any one help me inform the minister of health that the staff at LUTH through sheer wickedness, lack of professionalism, and inhuman tendencies murdered 3 Nigerian babies, by letting them gasped to death when the oxygen in their gas mask finished. Our health system is a failed system and part of a failing state.

My elder brother who is the father of the baby has lost faith in the entity called Nigeria. He has resolved to pack his bags and take the surviving members of his family away before they are murdered, either through a non professional hospital staff or a trigger happy police man. Please tell Prof. Dora to keep rebranding.

Please reach me on hafeeskeshinro@yahoo.com

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/keshinro-hafees/and-luth-simultaneously-murdered-3-babies.html
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by anidat77(m): 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
martyns303:

@poster. God bless u for starting dis topic, i lost my grandmom 2weeks ago at BMH port harcourt, the doctors where doing trail and error with my GM while the nurses where sooo mean, one of them even said if my GM is better than those u've died. Just d night i was there almost 16 people died. My aunt is about putting this on papers and accuse the hospital of killing our GM.

My wife delivered a baby girl last September and a nurse provoked me by asking stupid questions instead of giving me required answers. My wife came out from that lot to tell me the horror behind the closed doors.

A pity that a labouring mother after repeatedly begging for attention gave birth to a dead baby as a result of prolonged labour, all the nurses could do was blame each other in the labour ward, and I'LL NEVER FORGET THE BITTER WAILING CRYS OF THAT MOTHER, she was weak and in tears.

It's really crazy how they also take advantage of the situation. They scare you into feeling totally helpless and then make you pay for assistance like showing you where and how to go about the cash payments under panic.

It's a total shame when innocent lifes are lost as a result. Just a shame Guyz.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by asunaobi(m): 10:18pm On Jan 28, 2010
Tell me who is behaving like a normal human being in Nigeria? Is it our president,  governors, ministers? Even here on NL, many of us  insult ourselves, our parents and relatives when one says the truth.

A lot of Nigerians suffer from poverty of the mind.  That is why any little improvement in their lives drive them so crazy and they start looking down on other people and tend to be arrogant and uncaring.

The most surprising thing would be that these quack doctors and nurses may be members of one church or the other, but when it comes to practical exhibition of what they have read in the Bible they  start interpreting the Bible backwards.

A friend of mine just lost his lovely healthy mum under the watching eyes of our so called doctors and nurses for a simple infection that could have been treated by a first year nursing student in the developed world.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by DeepSoul(f): 11:20pm On Jan 28, 2010
@Kawkab

Wow, that was such a sad story. Reaaly really sad, I'm almost in tears.

I hope those that were responsible are dealt with accordingly.

May God save us.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by beneli(m): 11:23pm On Jan 28, 2010
What stops aggrieved health service-users in Nigeria from getting legal advice and going down the route of suing? 

The above is an honest question, which i ask, because i think that people should quit complaining and do something about the situation. I might be sounding harsh, but the fact is, even if we can complain until the 'cows come home', nothing will change unless the service-users (i.e. the patients) make the health professionals (i.e the doctors and nurses) know that they can-and wil-be sued for clinical negligence, improper conduct etc, if they fail to provide the service they are being paid to provide.

I have practiced in Nigeria and currently practice in the UK. While in Nigeria, i am sure that i would have stepped up my level of delivery a notch higher if i knew that somebody would sue me for phucking up (excuse my latin)!

But you know what? though i wasn't as insensistive as some of the cases described in this thread, if i will be honest, i wasn't really that bothered to brush up on my knowledge etc, because there was no motivation to do so. So in the course of my short practice there, i gradually slid down the slippery slopes of quackery!

Here in the UK, i have to keep abreast of what's happening around me, because if something goes wrong, some smart lawyer is going to get another of my colleagues to ask me some very very serious questions. So i am consciuos of how i treat my patients and what i say to them. Basically i am forced-or encouraged, if you prefer-to be a nice person and a good doctor to my patients. I don't want to be sued, even if i do pay a lot of money to be insured against bad practice!

What i am trying to say is that we allow things to fester in Nigeria because of too much complaining and too little action.

As long as the doctors and nurses in Nigeria are not properly paid; as long as the overall health infrastracture continues to collapse around us all; i doubt that anything is going to change that much in the kind of service you get. So instead of waiting for the doctors to change their attitudes or the government to start spending more on health, the service users could at least take their lives into their hands and sue whomever needs to be sued, whenver they phuck up (pardon my latin again)!.

That's what i would do, if i wasn't a doctor!

1 Like

Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by dammieplus: 12:12am On Jan 29, 2010
well, this is tough, while i agree there is more carelessness and less professionalism acompare to other parts of the world. its almost a futile effort to look for exdcellence in the misdst of ruins, people rightly pointed out that work ethics in nigeria is probably the worst in the world, also ur roads are poor, education rubbish, goverment is a joke, how came u now dream of having a decent health institution in the country, the whole system is in ruins, it should be builtn up together, education, health facilities etc. ur certificates are not even recognised in zambia,
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by Smi1(m): 12:37am On Jan 29, 2010
We need a better government !!! unelse there will be no solution to all this calamities.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by drossy(m): 1:22am On Jan 29, 2010
i wont confirm or deny this report but what i can say is this, what ever we doctors or nurses do, is basically a reflection of the general society! secondly,the doctor /patient ratio is just crazy.crazy enough to run you mad! meanwhile, some patients are deluded enough to think doctors aint human and that they wont get a reaction when you are rude to a doctor, trust me, in a society without decorum like ours,if you treat a doc without respect, he will most likely return the favour!during my housemanship,i was threatened many times in the ER by patients' relatives who think that thier wards deserve instant management , when infact just by your initial contact with the patient ,you have been able to discern those who need immediate help and those who an wait( an important skill as govt hospitals are EXTREMELY UNDERSTAFFED!)

AS per those, those who think that we dont pass our medical exams in the usa, well, thats news to me because, i smashed my board exams within 8 months of coming to the usa and im presently doing an observership to add to my resume. trust me, if you know the conditions we operate in nigeria,the paper work we have to do,regarding medicolegal issues within the hospital, you will be shocked! but i still do not give excuses for some very rude health workers!
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by ssumpta(f): 1:38am On Jan 29, 2010
S@mi:

We need a better government !!! unelse there will be no solution to all this calamities.
I totally agree.
@ Kawkab. Pple are beginning to notice and complain about the declining quality of health care at the National hospital.

The ? now is, wat is the way forward? as a lawyer, i'm goin to start researching on Health laws in Nig, and their efficacy. Maybe when i'm done i will write a report and make it find its way to the health minister, or to the chairman senate committee on health, for possible legislative health reform.
what can you do today?
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by activities: 3:03am On Jan 29, 2010
My cousin, who was a medical student died in UNTH Enugu because of doctors and nurses negligence.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by emans(m): 6:10am On Jan 29, 2010
let me first by saying that i share your pains, this is a topic that needs to be address and adress now by our so called leader,
nursing practise denote a nurse caring for a maximum of 4 patients at once.how many is been attended to?, our president is sick and all where he can go is saudi arabia.this things are anoying.
i know one day we will reach the canaan land
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by spyder99: 6:14am On Jan 29, 2010
Since we are talking about evil professionals, dont limit this to doctors and nurses. Evil people in Nigeria include lawyers and judges that fail to uphold the law, evil police men that respond too late to emergency crisis, evil firemen with no water in their vehicle when responding to fire outbreak. evil clerical officers in offices when you need to collect document, evil teachers in our schools, The problem in Nigerian hospitals reflect the decadence that has affected our country.

Nigerian doctors are well trained but you find sometimes that you are hitting your head against the wall with no facilities to work with and being overworked and underpaid.

1 Like

Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by habumaks(m): 8:34am On Jan 29, 2010
It's not only health sector. I went to the bank (oceanic to be precise) to cash some money (these people came to my office and persuaded me open an account with them). As I entered i entered the banking hall i saw the same security man opening the gate for us ordering people to either join a queue or leave. can u imagine? and it is not as if there was no orderliness there.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by queenesthr(f): 8:40am On Jan 29, 2010
This is because they are allowed to get away with these evil acts. More families should start suing hospitals for negligence. By the time doctors and nurses have their licenses revoked and start serving jail terms for malpractice and negligence, the rest will sit up.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 29, 2010
We are here spilling our experiences i can imagine the number of people out there who do not have access to the internet to come and share their own story too.
My sister had a miscarriage of about 5month old pregnancy and got a horrible evacuation procedure which affected some of her reproductive organs at Saint Emmanuel Hospital Isolo Lagos.Please anybody who loves his or her[b] life should not near [/b] that hospital to treat common headache because that place is a butcher's chamber.
On a second experience, my younger brother was a victim of 1st Degree burn and he got the worst treatment any body could think of from the medics thank God i was around to call them to order with series of threats.
As i'm writing this, my petition against that hospital is awaiting conclusion ,
Our health care if we have any is a big sham! no onder Atiku travelled abroad to treat common knee injury embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by reindeer: 10:39pm On Jan 29, 2010
Reading all these stories here is just heartbreaking.
There really is not EXCUSE for a medical worker to treat his/her patients with disrespect although
there are many reasons though why this happens:

1. The workload:Believe me, its crazy working in public hospitals in Nigeria, i once worked at a very busy pediatric hospital in Lagos island where about 5-6 doctors are expected to see 300 patients every working day in the outpatients department, now this is just impossible as human beings, there is just no way sane doctors can do that! And to make matters worse, most of the patients come with 'fake'complaints just to get the free drugs that the lagos state government gives to children under 12 years of age and in the process crowd out the really ill ones we were supposed to be seeing, in thta hospital you have no break time and all you do is munch up some 'puff' 'puff' and a bottle of coke while some kid and the mother are coughing in your face in the very cramped consulting room.

2. Personalities: Some people are just nasty, either provoked or not they just have a problem with life.Some of those people either as doctors or nurses take offence at the slightest of provocations.Those are just mean people who really have no place in the professions.

3. Motivation: Some people go into the professions for a 'job' just to make ends meet, those are the ones who are most frustrated, they dont have 'humanity' in them especially because the money they came into the job for isnt coming in.
Renumeration isnt at par with work being done and this sadly has been on for a long time.There has been a steady decline in morale over a long time that anomalies in practice are now seen as the norm by many.Fact is these are people dealing with lives directly so i dont think any amount paid them is too much and its even more annoying to the workers when someone tells it to their face that their work is 'humanitarian' as if that buys garri in the market, as if it pays the children's school fees or will ferry them to and fro work. To whom much is given, more is expected it is said, Nigerians cant expect them to just keep being sacrificial(many health workers live life and limb daily to do their work with little or no equipment).As true as the foregoing statement is, i'd rather we start with the giving part.

4. Intelligence: A wise man knows when to talk and when to keep quiet, when to act and when to take a little more time.For doctors most are above average but you'd be surprised to find a few who really just passed through medschool but really arent smart,no joke, i have met some doctors who really cant string 3sentences together in fluent english,Some of these just feed off the 'prestige' and really dont have much to offer.
For nurses, its really sad to note that the job is mainly now populated by those who couldnt really pass JAMB and SSCE and think since they are females, the only other thing left to do is nursing.Look around and you'd be shocked at how few those who graduate from universities are,it usuall school of nursing folks who had 3 credits from ssce.

5 .Ignorance: This especially on the patients part, most dont know their rights and of course never demand for it. You have a right to know which drugs you are being given,but people never ask or are too afraid to ask.I used to chuckle as how nervous my nurses used to get when they encounter a learned patient who states her rights,if you know your rights and you ask for it, 98% of times you'll get it in the hospital.

6. Patient's attitude: Lets face it we are all human beings and being treated with respect is a sure way of getting the best out of people.when you go to a hospital with airs and expect the world to fall at your feet, you'd be disappointed, if you courteously talk to people, they'll most likely respond in kind.Respect begets respect!
Another attitude is the patient's perception of 'emergency' which to the practitioner might not be,i daresay this is the root of most problems, the patient thinks her ingrowing toenail is a serious emergency while the doctor by virtue of his training knows she wont die in 1 decade! But its at this points most doctors miss it, they are supposed to gently explain why it isnt to the patient rather than shut them up, and the patient too should be willing to listen to the doctors opinion of the case.If you didnt trust them in the 1st place why you no go meet herbalist?

When all is said and done, these problems are not insurmountable, People just need to realise they are there for service and that is the most important, health workers should try as much as possible(and i know this is hard) not to allow the rot in all the other sectors get into their crania.
and like someone mentioned earlier its not just enough to whine on and on on nairaland, if you think any doctor has erred in nigeria, feel free to contact THE MEDICAL AND DENTAL COUNCIL OF NIGERIA, MARINA,LAGOS. They have a tough disciplinary committee that works! I dont know what bodies you can contact for nurses, but you can easily find out.
I will only appeal to people to bear with health workers who are working under tremendous pressure,regardless of what you say,the whole country groans for a single day they are on strike,so they are really working ok?
I am a doctor ,sworn to give the best within my power in service to humanity and i can tell you this, im not alone, there are thousands of us out there toiling and working for you even while you read this.
Have a great weekend all. smiley
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by ziga: 2:33am On Jan 30, 2010
We have evil nurses, doctors, Lawyers, law makers, governors, bankers, salesmen, saleswomen, lab scientists, gatemen, policemen, lastma, politicians, journalists, nairalanders, actors, musicians and the list goes on and on and on.

My point is that, the world is a circle, everything we do unprofessionally will affect some other person in some way that will make him do something hurtful to somebody else. And we need to break the chain.

If each person tries his best regardless of occupation, the world will be a better place.

I guess am just dreaming.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by Tcrack(m): 2:49am On Jan 30, 2010
am not trying to make excuses for the docs a nd nurses but what do you expect when one underpaid doctor has to atten ed to like 100 ndiffrent people in a day? the problem is not a doctors and nurse problem. its a general civil service problem.
Re: Evil Nurses & Doctors In Nigerian Public Hospitals by Avenir(m): 10:07am On Jan 30, 2010
beneli:

What stops aggrieved health service-users in Nigeria from getting legal advice and going down the route of suing? 

The above is an honest question, which i ask, because i think that people should quit complaining and do something about the situation. I might be sounding harsh, but the fact is, even if we can complain until the 'cows come home', nothing will change unless the service-users (i.e. the patients) make the health professionals (i.e the doctors and nurses) know that they can-and wil-be sued for clinical negligence, improper conduct etc, if they fail to provide the service they are being paid to provide.

I have practiced in Nigeria and currently practice in the UK. While in Nigeria, i am sure that i would have stepped up my level of delivery a notch higher if i knew that somebody would sue me for phucking up (excuse my latin)!

But you know what? though i wasn't as insensistive as some of the cases described in this thread, if i will be honest, i wasn't really that bothered to brush up on my knowledge etc, because there was no motivation to do so. So in the course of my short practice there, i gradually slid down the slippery slopes of quackery!

Here in the UK, i have to keep abreast of what's happening around me, because if something goes wrong, some smart lawyer is going to get another of my colleagues to ask me some very very serious questions. So i am consciuos of how i treat my patients and what i say to them. Basically i am forced-or encouraged, if you prefer-to be a nice person and a good doctor to my patients. I don't want to be sued, even if i do pay a lot of money to be insured against bad practice!

What i am trying to say is that we allow things to fester in Nigeria because of too much complaining and too little action.

As long as the doctors and nurses in Nigeria are not properly paid; as long as the overall health infrastracture continues to collapse around us all; i doubt that anything is going to change that much in the kind of service you get. So instead of waiting for the doctors to change their attitudes or the government to start spending more on health, the service users could at least take their lives into their hands and sue whomever needs to be sued, whenver they phuck up (pardon my latin again)!.

That's what i would do, if i wasn't a doctor!

I quite agree with your point of view. However, I have to point to the fact that in the UK legal redress is not only available to the most financially comfortable. Even if you don’t have a penny, no win no pay lawyers abound that will be begging you to take up your brief if you have a good case against medical negligence. There are other options for getting lawyers to take your brief even when you are not financially okay. The converse is the case in Nigeria. No lawyer, not even the charge and bail ones, will take your brief without some pricey upfront payment. The topic refers to public health workers in Nigeria. Most of the users of public health services patronise it because it is the cheaper option and because they can’t afford a private hospital with similar facilities. How will such users be able to afford a lawyer to sue for clinical negligence? They will do the most sensible thing and move on with their lives.

In the UK, a health worker will even be investigated if the aggrieved complains to the appropriate body. Every public hospital has a clinical audit unit which performs quality assurance on the services. Each hospital unit have appropriate supervisory body to whom clinical data (including fatalities) has to be reported. Deaths are taken seriously and are investigated if there is a pattern even without anybody complaining.

In Nigeria, even when you sue, what relief can you get? If you get awarded compensation, are the public health workers insured? Do they have the ability to pay the compensation? If they get struck of a register (if any exists) can they practice again? Of course they can practice in some quack private hospital. So what is the use of suing?

I have lost two close relatives due to cases of clinical negligence at Nigerian public hospitals. This is not to say that there are no good nurses and doctors in Nigeria. There are many of them. The good ones are in private hospitals. The good ones are very few in public hospitals! I sincerely believe that if the government cannot run public hospitals (the bulk stops with the hospital owners) they should close them down and replace them with comparable and more practical alternatives where human life is accorded the respect it deserves and were the health workers are held accountable by their employers for the service they were paid (irrespective of how meagre the pay is) to render. They are not paid to be merchants of death. They are paid to be caregivers!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

1,086 Young Nigerians Confirmed HIV Positive In Nasarawa / COVID-19 Update For November 2 2020 In Nigeria / Cure All These Naturally With Jigsimur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.