Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' (4310 Views)

3 Quick Ways To Get Your Visa Application Approved By Foreign Embassies In Niger / World Cup Has Shown Me The Otherside Of South Africa. / Princess(dr)rachael Adefunke Wellington And Her Company Trans Africa World Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 9:20pm On Jan 27, 2010
It seems the "western' media is winning the war on propaganda concerning this years biggest event scaring off potential tourist to SA.

Who do you think should be blamed for this? The SA government for not agressively condeming this flow of negative information or The media for ovous bigotry towards this up and coming nation.

As for me. I will show face o!

BRING ME MY VUVZELA!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8483925.stm
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by hadexman(m): 1:51am On Jan 28, 2010
Wasere
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by yoruba: 7:23am On Jan 28, 2010
Ironically that article came from the same western media you referring to while the CEO of the Local Organizing Committee, Danny Jordan was on the news last night talking about the ticket sales are beginning to soar.
It so easy to believe in western propaganda when they report 20% of the truth, I remember a couple of years ago when they reported SA's stadiums won't be completed on time and look now all of them are completed ahead of schedule. At the same time they set up there own local studio's in SA knowing whats around them but they prefer to report the opposite, but then again its there own institutions its either read there articles or ignore. Every single tourist that has been to SA knows the truth and they know it will be the biggest party ever.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by yoruba: 9:40am On Jan 28, 2010
FIFA slam negative South Africa stories
January 27, 2010 12:00:00 AM PST

FIFA have hit out at the negative publicity that continues to surround the build-up to the World Cup, but expressed satisfaction over the growing demand for tickets.

FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke at the World Cup draw, alongside Charlize Theron
GettyImagesFIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke at the World Cup draw, alongside Charlize Theron

The world governing body today announced that two thirds of the three million tickets were now sold - just under five months before kick-off.

The third window period for sales ended last week with a total of 1,206,865 applications received from 192 countries. Apart from the hosts, who had requested 958,381 tickets, the highest demand has come from the USA (50,217), the UK (41,529) and Australia (15,523).

Those figures left FIFA and Local Organising Committee (LOC) pleased, but there was plenty of outrage over a lack of support for this summer's showpiece.

"It's sad that every morning you wake up and every morning there are articles from the world's football family saying that people should not fly to South Africa, that this is a dangerous country, that this is not good, that there is no way this person should fly to South Africa because it is a crazy country, that FIFA and (Sepp) Blatter made the wrong decision to host the World Cup in South Africa,'' the organisation's general secretary Jerome Valcke said.

"What we are asking is for fair treatment for South Africa, the same treatment that all the other World Cup countries got. Don't kill the World Cup before it has even happened.''

LOC chief executive Danny Jordaan added: "First they said 'the stadiums will never be ready' - that was your perception. The reality is that all the stadiums are done.

"Then they said 'you're going to run out of money before everything is done' - it has not happened. That was the perception and it was wrong. Then they said 'no-one is going to buy the tickets' - now we saying we sold over two million and there are just 900,000 left. So we are happy where we are.''

Asked to pinpoint which countries were largely responsible for the negative press, Valcke added: "I would say mainly in Europe from Germany and England. These are the two countries.

"I have not seen so much from France, Italy or Spain or from Holland or any of the other countries that have qualified. But again, these two countries are very big voices in the football family and that's why any time they are talking about the World Cup football, it's immediately in the headlines.

"I even said to Danny this morning we should even ask Mr (Jacob) Zuma (president of South Africa) to give a call to his colleagues Angela Merkel (Germany), Gordon Brown (UK), etc, call them and say 'hey, tell your country South Africa is a country and it's not the end of the world'.

"So there is no specific person, there are a lot of people who have been talking about South Africa and saying 'don't go to South Africa' so my comment is going to all of them and not specifically to one of them.''

Valcke did, however, suggest there was a concern over flight numbers to and from South Africa. He continued: "There are some issues with flying. It's very difficult to find a seat from Europe to South Africa for the World Cup.

"The price of tickets is also extremely high. So we are working and trying to see with airline companies, including our partners Emirates, to see how we could solve this issue.''

The one other concern for English fans is getting their hands on tickets for some high-demand matches. So far, 6,000 of the 29,000 World Cup tickets allocated by organisers to the Football Association have been bought. One match - the last-16 encounter, should England qualify - has been oversubscribed by members of the official supporters' group.

There are 150 outstanding tickets to satisfy the demand, but Valcke said they will have to examine the situation closely before making a decision. He added: "Generally I think when you are five months away from the event, if they are asking for additional tickets and the tickets are available in those categories or the categories they want, then we will provide them with those tickets.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/732210/ce/uk/?cc=3888&ver=global
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by RSA(m): 11:02am On Jan 28, 2010
Yes Two million tickets for the world cup has been sold,at this moment,79% by South Africans and the rest to the outside world,Fifa secretary on Kick off website this morning said England and Germany's press are on the mission of badmouthing South Africa,and it's funny that the Nazi's own half of hot properties in Cape Town and we all know the influence of the Poms in South Africa,Now I wonder if they're doing this to distract other people to see the beauty of SA and its investment opportunities or they're just Jealous?
I mean this two countries are the most racist in the world,they've colonised,commited holocoust,slavery,sponsored civil wars,you name it,if you don't know how Satan look like look at the Germans and British face you'll see the replica of Satan.

If there is a Nazi and those fish smelling British here,we don't give a shiiiit wether you come or not,you racist mudafucker where sponsoring the aapartheid goverment and you continuing with that culture.Go bleep yourself and you silly queen angry

Now after that little therapy,I would like to say that South Africa is 100% behind the world cup,we are not quiters and will never will,as long as we have the best 32 teams in our shore we will support the championship.

The biggest number of people who bought tickets behinnd SA are Americans 50 000.For now that's all I'm going to say.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/internationals/england-under-fire-from-fifa-over-world-cup-negativity-1881011.html

Jordaan added a forthright defence of his country's preparations. "First they said, 'The stadiums will never be ready' – that was your perception. The reality is that all the stadiums are done," he said. "Then they said, 'You're going to run out of money before everything is done' – it has not happened. That was the perception and it was wrong. Then they said, 'No one is going to buy the tickets' – now we saying we sold over two million and there are just 900,000 left. So we are happy."
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by DisGuy: 1:03pm On Jan 28, 2010
I'll blame Germany, I dont know the history if this two countries but for some reason right from the beginning Germany/Germans have been spouting rubbish about SA, seems like Germany wants to get the competition back at their own place or perhaps the South African didn't give them enough contracts building stadia, roads etc etc
cos that's usually what happens when these fuckers lose out they use the power of theirr media

The South Africans should start accusing them of open racism!!!! that should keep them mute for a bit tongue

They should get Mandela and Desmond TUTU to call England and Germany out in a world conference tongue
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by yoruba: 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2010
The English and Germans flock to South Africa every year. They even bought property around Cape Town and Western Cape, the German Institution for culture in Johannesburg has gone bigger, heck[b] South African gold has been feeding the mouths of the British royal family since 1905[/b](thats 60% of the earths gold) and still today. What more do they want?, oh the world is coming to an end in Jo'burg if South Africa host the world cup?
Oh they almost wiped out an entire race of aborigines in Australia.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by DisGuy: 1:58pm On Jan 28, 2010
yoruba:

The English and Germans flock to South Africa every year. They even bought property around Cape Town and Western Cape, the German Institution for culture in Johannesburg has gone bigger, heck[b] South African gold has been feeding the mouths of the British royal family since 1905[/b](thats 60% of the earths gold) and still today. What more do they want?, oh the world is coming to an end in Jo'burg if South Africa host the world cup?

I was about to say that too, South Africa with all these crime figures is the mosted visited country along with Egypt in the whole of Africa, and guess who is visit the most? some british companies even moved their call centre there from india!!
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by mukina2: 2:57pm On Jan 28, 2010
. .good points people but considering the xenophobia . .who nor go fear . . sad grin
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 3:27pm On Jan 28, 2010
yoruba:

I really think they are trying to scare the rest of the world away and keep that little secret called capetown, porth elizabethe and so on to themselves. They know there will be competition from neighbouring countries once they taste the views of the cape and SA in general.

I anticipate a surge of property values especially in these key areas post world cup and an obvious surge in Tourism and business ventures. This will price many people out of the real estate market there and will increase competition for businesses bidding contracts around the area.

Hey what do you expect from the British?
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by chika98: 8:04pm On Jan 28, 2010
Who wants to go take a bullet in SA? Such a dangerous place grin
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 8:14pm On Jan 28, 2010
chika98:

Who wants to go take a bullet in SA? Such a dangerous place grin

have you been there before?
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 9:12pm On Jan 28, 2010
THe SA's have been getting a ton of negative press from the British especially ever since Mbeki's stance on the Zimbabwean issue I have come to realize. Prior to that their coverage of the area was not so intense.

I suspect foul play and a growing recentment by this western power maybe because the Sourthen Africans have been turning their trade attentions eastward to the Asians.

I realy didn't pay much attentio to it in the past but have come to realize this is not jsut freedom of news reporting and the press but an overt malicious attempt at utter deceptive reporting

Ah the British empire, ever so trying to remain relevant.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by RSA(m): 8:24am On Jan 29, 2010
morpheus24:

THe SA's have been getting a ton of negative press from the British especially ever since Mbeki's stance on the Zimbabwean issue I have come to realize. Prior to that their coverage of the area was not so intense.

I suspect foul play and a growing recentment by this western power maybe because the Sourthen Africans have been turning their trade attentions eastward to the Asians.

I think the western world is pisssed at South Africa because they can't bully us,I mean SA has voted against America and it's ally on more 2 occassion when we where part of the security council.
And SA has also realised the power shift in the world,I mean India and China are the future world powers and South Africa together with Brasil has strong bonds,I mean they call themself BASIC or IBSAC

http://ideas.repec.org/p/ess/wpaper/id958.html

IBSAC (INDIA, BRAZIL, SOUTH AFRICA, CHINA): A Potential Developing Country Coalition in WTO Negotiations
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by SamMilla1(m): 12:48pm On Jan 29, 2010
Yes, Fifa is making noise because they are independent and doesnt account for any single Nation.
If they are affiliated to either USA or UK, They would have joined the condemnation of South Africa.

Some people are very sad that Africa is emerging.
Someone will come up here to tell us its a conspiracy theory and require proof from us to show the West Hate Us.

All that could just be in an effort to avoid awarding Africa The Chance to host it again.
They are millions of whites down there doing business daily and all of a sudden they are afraid.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by delegiwa(m): 1:24pm On Jan 29, 2010
I have no single respect for anybody, group of persons, organisations or any of such be it from UK, Germany, US or somewhere in Antarctica spews trash about another just for monetary gains (I suspect this is what the negative press is all about anyways). Fifa, having condemned this in strongest terms should be followed up by Mandela and Tutu and the rest of Africa. This needs to stop immediately.

However, if every fair-skinned man/woman on this earth will decide not to attend the world cup, then we all will make it the most memorable world cup ever.

BTW, where is safe again? US, Uk, Deustchland? Whoosai?
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by SamMilla1(m): 1:31pm On Jan 29, 2010
Exactly delegiwa. WHERE IS SAFE ? WHERE IS THE TERROR TARGET ?
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jan 29, 2010
;d
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by 4Play(m): 1:47pm On Jan 29, 2010
yoruba:

Abi, if not for the gold in South Africa, the royal family would be paupers today. This defence of South Africa is funny given how many South Africans view the rest of Africa. It's not nice to be at the receiving end of a smear campaign.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by honeric01(m): 1:55pm On Jan 29, 2010
Who would want others to compete with them? the British people are afraid of losing their exploited properties in the southern African countries to other wide mouthed westerner like them, so they are trying to scare them away from finding out the gold mines all over Africa.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by pejol: 2:00pm On Jan 29, 2010
house i want you to give advise,a guy called me yesterday that i shld becareful with my girl friend,that he caught her that she is playing in-between both of us,when he notice that my said gf alwayz change names on her phone,in such that when she get to me she change to honey on getting to that said guy change his name too to sweetee and change my back to my real name claiming that am just her cousin,when the said guy get to know he decide to cut off the relationship with girl and inform me also,but my said gf said that he was just her ex-bf, am confuse advise me pls cuz i lv her so much,that i dont check on her but i dnt have 100% trust for her for a day,
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by pejol: 2:15pm On Jan 29, 2010
pls leave them let them say what they want,after all, all know that they have noting good for Africa already,
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by pek(m): 2:39pm On Jan 29, 2010
yoruba:

Ironically that article came from the same western media you referring to while the CEO of the Local Organizing Committee, Danny Jordan was on the news last night talking about the ticket sales are beginning to soar.
It so easy to believe in western propaganda when they report 20% of the truth, I remember a couple of years ago when they reported SA's stadiums won't be completed on time and look now all of them are completed ahead of schedule. At the same time they set up there own local studio's in SA knowing whats around them but they prefer to report the opposite, but then again its there own institutions its either read there articles or ignore. Every single tourist that has been to SA knows the truth and they know it will be the biggest party ever.

yoruba,
you realy need to work on the highlighted areas. it will help a lot.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 2:42pm On Jan 29, 2010
I have been to several parts of SA and these stereo types are very exaggerated. There is crime but it is centralized in certain areas that can be avoided.

Even the so called Hilbrow is not as dangerous as they make it seem. Its like you saying just because you are a white guy walking around Festac town you are going to be mugged. This is not true.

The SA government has doubled security measures which will deter a lot of criminals but the propaganda is very intense. It has scared many a people who know little about the country itself.

I had a friend I met in SA who was scared stiff of coming to Nigeria. I advised her that these were over exagerrated stereo types. On her visit to Abuja the lady called me back yelling how much she wanted to go back and had so much fun, was treated like royalty.

She swore never to stereotype people again. Just an example of what ignorance causes.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Feraz(m): 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2010
If dis plan dozn't work, just watch they'll sponsor some sort of terrorism
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2010
hello everyone, i must confess that am really impressed by everyone contribution to this topic. it shows that you are all well informed,me inclusive.
i used to think i am the only one in africa whos sees this western media attitude to africa and thier other 'third world' nations.
this is something from me as a little contribution to this debate 'a magazine i once read 'the new african' recently printed in one of their monthly publications that ''the media is the fourth arm of the government in western countries,although they may differ in their opinions on domestic policies e.g in britain where some papers traditionally supports any conservative govrnment in power while others supports and are sympathetic towards labour party,these media outfits unite in foreign policies.thats why in the eighties when President Robert Mgabe was been knighted and hosted to dinners in Engalnd, all the newspapers carried fron page pictures of him reading 'good example of a true african leader', but when he decided to take the stolen lands back by force(the way the u.s.a and others stole iraqi oil) the newspapers followed the goverments lead by writing terrible things about him and his country. so whoever the british governments like today,irrespective of the fact that he is a good or bad leader,the british media and others would write goo things about him and whoever they dont like the media reports bad things about the person or country.
the former editor of the sun newspaper in the UK states that 'give or take,he met tony blair over 80times while he was in office,sometimes over a cup of tea,lunch or dinner!!!if it was an editor of an african newspaper that does the same thing here,the shout would be 'he has been bought'!!!''
please people dont mind the negatice things some people write about africa on this forum,without knowing it,they are agents of western media and agenda, look out for new african magazines passt issue titled 'why the western press is so biased against africa' its an eye opener!!!
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 7:09pm On Jan 29, 2010
trukoments:

thats why in the eighties when President Robert Mgabe was been knighted and hosted to dinners in Engalnd, all the newspapers carried fron page pictures of him reading 'good example of a true african leader', but when he decided to take the stolen lands back by force(the way the u.s.a and others stole iraqi oil) the newspapers followed the goverments lead by writing terrible things about him and his country. so whoever the british governments like today,irrespective of the fact that he is a good or bad leader,the british media and others would write goo things about him and whoever they dont like the media reports bad things about the person or country.

I think it truly is a superiority complex issue. Any situation that is not sactioned by the "west' is seen as below par.

They used the same tactics against China who emloyed a very isolationist and conservative approach to their affairs and accused them of gross human rights violations  but look at China now. Suddenly the have flipped the script,The US and West are powerless in influencing any affairs in that region. All becasue China has built up it self as a major player.

These people do not really favor any progress for the African countries no matter how much people say they give hand outs to Africa. Thats equivalent to the slave based Debt mentality most western consumer societies are being strangeled with everyday.

If they were fair then for every negative comment about South Africa there shuld accompany a similar one on the progress it is making and the good that is being done by many organizations who I have witnessed are truly transforming African societies.

Sadly good newss is not sensational enought to attarct readers and therefore they will write about what people will flock to.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Cleanman(m): 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2010
EXAMPLES: since a terrorist is a nigerian(mutallab) does that mean evry NIGERIAN is a terrorist?, mehn i taya 4 dis western bigots!
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 29, 2010
Lol at the people trying to create baseless conspiracy theories as proof that westerners are against south africans and africans in general. While that may be partially true, the reality is that South Africa is a country with extreme violence and dying of xenophobia. I mean, look at how they kill their neighbours and their government keeps living in denial.

Westerners and Africans who could, should simply stay away from any events taking place in SA and leave them to keep wallowing in their xenophobia and bigotry.

Afterall, it was one south african on these boards that was bragging on how they share nothing with other africans except geographical borders.

Don't come here crying that other african people should back you and creating stupid theories of racism when whites go after you and turn around later to disown your fellow africans because you think they are after your MC Donald eateries.

Pathetic people.
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by morpheus24: 9:46pm On Jan 29, 2010
Bandit C.:

Lol at the people trying to create baseless conspiracy theories as proof that westerners are against south africans and africans in general. While that may be partially true, the reality is that South Africa is a country with extreme violence and dying of xenophobia. I mean, look at how they kill their neighbours and their government keeps living in denial.

Westerners and Africans who could, should simply stay away from any events taking place in SA and leave them to keep wallowing in their xenophobia and bigotry.

Afterall, it was one south african on these boards that was bragging on how they share nothing with other africans except geographical borders.

Don't come here crying that other african people should back you and creating silly theories of racism when whites go after you and turn around later to disown your fellow africans because you think they are after your MC Donald eateries.

Pathetic people.

Before I even move forward, have you been to South African before?

cause it is painfully obvious you haven't
Re: South Africa World Cup 'snubbed By Foreign Fans' by Tudor6(f): 2:10am On Jan 30, 2010
Yes, it was Angela merkel and Gordon Brown who killed foreigners in the xenophobic attacks. . . I saw them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strange Visa And Immigration Cases. / Places You Don't Want To Visit. / Please Help A Brother Travelling To Egypt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.