Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,268 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Can Someone Tell Me Good News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Tell Me Good News (951 Views)

Can Someone Tell Me Which Party This Woman Belong? / Good News! NNPC To Distribute Free Gas Cylinders To All Nigerians / Someone Tell Me Why Marijuana Shouldn't Be Legalized And Taxed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 1:29pm On Jan 28, 2010
Whats the latest GOOD thing happening in our country??

New facilities commisioned?

Advances in the economy??

Leaders showing promise??

Is there any new structures that look decent??

tell me i wanna hear something GOOD abt the country for once!!
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 1:33pm On Jan 28, 2010
little good news from the state with more schools than people!

http://ekitinigeria.net/Latest/CHINESE-INVESTORS-TO-ESTABLISH-GRANITE-QUARIES-SUGAR-CANE-PLANTATION-IN-EKITI.html

hope it pulls thru sha
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by newmaster(m): 1:38pm On Jan 28, 2010
no good news dat comes out nigeria, our leaders re out there fighting for their sealfish intrest
na waaaaaaaaaaaa for naija, GOD HELP US
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by asha80(m): 1:39pm On Jan 28, 2010
ayettymama:

little good news from the state with more schools than people!

http://ekitinigeria.net/Latest/CHINESE-INVESTORS-TO-ESTABLISH-GRANITE-QUARIES-SUGAR-CANE-PLANTATION-IN-EKITI.html

hope it pulls thru sha

I wonder why this is not reflacted in the running and overall well being of the state.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 1:40pm On Jan 28, 2010
^^ pls for once lets try and FIND something good
20 mins walk arnd london can show u 500new developments!

this is potential good news;
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=165168
gold potential in nigeria
will the government take advantage of this??

aloy emeka posted this somewhere else
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 1:42pm On Jan 28, 2010
@ asha

im beggining to think the state wasnt actually ready for independance

none of the leaders have good intentions for the state

just ikowo je intentions!
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by honeric01(m): 1:43pm On Jan 28, 2010
Construction of link roads begins in Benin City

The Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole has flagged-off the construction of twelve link roads that will put a stop to the flooding at the five junction in Benin City.

Speaking to the residents of Ivbiye Street, while flagging-off the construction of the network of roads in the area that had been abandoned for over thirty-five years, the state governor assured that when completed, the problem of flooding at the five junction would be a thing of the past.

According to him, the state government awarded the job to a reputable contractor; Hi-tech that has been performing very well in Lagos.

“We are bringing a company with a reputation to construct the roads that will have street lights, walkways and covered drainage,” he said.

He disclosed that, the state government is planning for the twenty-first century, because the people deserve the best, and they are going to get the best”.

He further noted that the link roads to the five-junction were abandoned for too long which is responsible for the area always being flooded anytime it rains.

Engineer Danny Abbord of Hi-tech Construction Company Limited, said the project will be completed within the next fifteen months.

While commending the state government for coming to their rescue as another rainy season approaches, the residents who lamented that they have lost not less than three buildings due to the flooding, disclosed that the government last worked on the roads thirty-five years ago during the administration of Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia.

The governor also flagged-off the expansion of the Siluko Road in Benin City.

http://www.edostate.gov.ng/infra1.php
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by honeric01(m): 1:48pm On Jan 28, 2010
Workers to earn more in new structure

A NEW pay structure, which will consider the effects of the global financial crisis, is on the way.
The National Minimum Wage Committee has broken into four consultation groups to produce a Living Wage structure.

The committee, headed by a former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Alfa Belgore, may adopt Ghana’s model by putting in place a Permanent Wage Policy, it was learnt at the weekend.

But in implementing the new wage structure, the government is considering either staff review or employment embargo to be able to cope with the cost.

The committee and other stakeholders agreed in October to change the present wage structure.
The committee decided to break into four groups, headed by some ministers, to work out modalities for the new pay structure.

A source, who spoke in confidence, said: "The four groups are already consulting many stakeholders on the way forward.

"One of the options being weighed is the payment of a Living Wage to workers so that they can have a fulfilled career.

"We are also looking at the Ghanaian model which requires putting in place a Permanent Wage Policy without having to go through industrial crisis to secure wage increase.

"The warlike manner being adopted by labour on wage increase does not speak well of us as a nation.
"Once we put a wage policy in place, negotiation will always be on percentage increase because the policy would have regulated the period. For instance, if we have a policy to review wages every four or five years, it would be a permanent thing and such a system will be less rancorous.

"Recently in Ghana when it was time to increase wages, the workers demanded 800 per cent increase but after negotiation, in line with economic realities, the parties agreed on about 15-16 per cent increase.

"In our own case, Labour is asking for about N52,000 minimum wage, which is about 650% to 700% increase, depending on whether you are a Federal or State worker."

Asked if the government will be able to accommodate a wage increase in 2010 budget, the source, who is a member of the committee, said: "There are two options which the Belgore committee would have to choose to make this possible.

"There will be wage increase but with two costs of either staff review (retrenchment) or a temporary employment embargo.

"These two alternatives will form the last segment of the Belgore Committee’s assignment."
It was, however, not clear as at press time when the committee will complete its assignment.

The source added: "Certainly, it will be next year but I cannot tell you the time. The Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation is coordinating the wage issue."

The Federal Government and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) agreed in October that there is need to jack up the minimum wage, which is between N5,500 and N6,500.

The minimum wage came about eight years ago following the passing of the National Minimum Wage Act 2000 into law. ;

Although the Act allows a 12.5 to 15 per cent wage adjustment, the NLC said the percentage increase is no longer realistic because of the biting effects of the global financial downturn on workers. ;

Based on the agitation, the House of Representatives proposed a N30,000 minimum wage.

A bill on the N30,000 wage has been read in the House of Representatives. A committee is examining it.
President Yar’Adua is said to have rejected the N30,000 minimum wage proposal.

http://www.edostate.gov.ng/workers.php
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by honeric01(m): 1:49pm On Jan 28, 2010
EDSG BEGINS DUALISATION OF AIRPORT ROAD

In a bid to restore the state Master Plan, Edo State Government yesterday commenced the expansion of Airport Road to ease vehicular movement in the state metropolis.

The 1st Vice Chairman in charge of operation, Taskforce on The Demolition of Illegal Structures, Street Trading and The Removal of Road Obstruction, Major Lawrence Oloye (Rtd.) who supervised the marking and demolition of illegal structures, along side with the leader of the demolition team, Charles Ize-Iyamu who spoke to The NIGERIAN OBSERVER noted that the expansion of the road which is on-going is for the purpose of development of the state.

He noted that the demolition of illegal structures, which is still on-going is to pave-way for the expansion of the road.

While calling for support, Major Oloye stated that those whose illegal structures have been pulled down should maintain the specific perimeter as stipulated by the law of right of way, when erecting their fences.

He said that the specific perimeter is at least 15 metres, adding that it will be safe to add 2 to 3 metres.

“The official measurement is 15 metres from the middle of the road, but there is need to add at least 2 to 3 metres to the specified 15 metres, so that there will be enough space, because your fence ca not be on the road, it will even help the person”, he stated.

While acknowledging the support of the people so far, he said that the people will smile at the completion of the project, adding that it will further beautify Airport Road.

It was gathered that the marking and demolition of illegal structures will continue until all the illegal structures are pulled down.

Structures affected by the demolition and expansion, are both private and government establishments, which included, the Oba Akezua Il Cultural Complex perimeter fence and the Security post and the Nigerian Observer fence amongst others.

http://www.edostate.gov.ng/road_dualisation.php
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by Dabbs: 1:51pm On Jan 28, 2010
Make U na check this:

http://www.nigeriannews.com/

and burn your mind with latest, lol
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 28, 2010
I thought some haterz said oshiomhole is not working?
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by honeric01(m): 1:57pm On Jan 28, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I thought some haterz said oshiomhole is not working?

Are you surprised?

Some of them want to see Edo state looking like Dubai overnight.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jan 28, 2010
Oshiomhole should maintain the pace atleast things are getting better than during pdp administration in tha state.
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by KnowAll(m): 2:22pm On Jan 28, 2010
Eko Atalntic City something to cheer you up in this glooomy times 

Just reading through this peice on Eko Atlantic City, quite inspiring to say the least. The big question is,  can such an ambitious project come to frution in a country like Nigeria,  at least one can trust Fashola unlike most of the other Governors or politicians. Reading the litrature of this ambitious project has not only brought a succour of releif to me,  I am sure most Nigerians will have a sigh of releif especially as the last 4 months have being one bad news to the other thank God for this project.  From Yaradua's sicky holiday in Saudi Arabia ( heard he has being given a permanent stay now ) , to Muttalab the bomber, to Sanusi and his sackings, to our powerless and clueless NASS members, not to mention the heart wrenching news of the killings in Jos.

Looks like Lagos  is set to be the last beacon of hope in an almost hopeless country. Cities like Jos with her wonderful weather has finally succumb to the tirade and anarchy associated with al queda. We hope Eko Atlantic City becomes a reality even if it is in our mind that way "man no go kolo"  from all these bad news from my country. 

Read about Eko Atlantic from the excerpts below.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/homes_property/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=250110&ptitle=Eko%20Atlantic%20scheme%20broaches%20new%20city%20development%20frontiers
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 10:35pm On Jan 29, 2010
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-388163.0.html

more good news. , . . . . . . . . . kinda??
Re: Can Someone Tell Me Good News by ayettymama(f): 1:33pm On Feb 08, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Female Hausa/fulani Joins The Bandwagon Of Thieving Bankers. / Bayelsa Lawmakers Receive N2.4bn For Constituency Projects / Signature Forgery Scandal Rocks Senate: David Mark Sacked Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.