Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,013 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? (14212 Views)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / 4 Incredible Ways To Handle A Bad Boss At Work Without Getting Burned / How Other Staffs In The Office See It Admins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by amliftedhigher: 2:27pm On Jun 29, 2017
Good day fellow Nairalanders.

I work in a federal government parastatals in the HR department. My former boss use to give me Kudos each time I present a memo to him to vet. Sometimes he will either see some corrections or he will sign immediately.

But since a new boss came na wahala oh. I will try my best with the help of Oxford dictionary newest edition to present a good memo devoid of grammatical blunder to him still either he cancels the entire write up or he writes his own. And some times when he write his own I will give it to the secretary to type and after that I will present it to him for him to sign but instead of signing it he will cancel it again his own write up oh. Some times I will spend a whole day presenting one memo.

I Am confused now that if there is a memo I will write it any how and then present it to him because no matter how I tried he will do correction.

Fellow Nigerians how do you handle a grammarian boss?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by remi1444: 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2017
when you are with a Jew put up the personality of a Jew.its stressful but I assure you it is for your own good.

23 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jun 29, 2017
But where is lalasticlala and Mynd44 sef.

From my position, the following are the problems:

1. Your new Boss is not computer-literate. But don't tell him.
2. Your new Boss has not yet acquainted himself with the vocabulary of the job. (S)He needs some time.
3. Your use of the Oxford dictionary should be for meaning-making, contestations and definitions. It should be used sparingly for grammatical construct.
4. Arm yourself with your Boss style. For instance, always refer to previous signed memos for choice of words, language and vocabulary etc.
5. Improve yourself by reading widely.
6. Your new boss would appraise you, so be in good form at all times.
7. As for the Secretary, what is their level of input? Is it just copy (handwritten text) and type verbatim?

By the way, in most corporate organisations, they employ Head of Units that can multi-function/multi-task. One person to conceptualise, type, print and even despatch grin grin

No need for three persons simply waste of resources..imagine its even a federal government institution sef shocked

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by glolomoh: 4:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
It is 'my former boss ' not 'my formal boss '. Former means past or previous while formal means corporate.

You could see why your boss keeps correcting your grammar

90 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Jaytecq(m): 4:19pm On Jun 29, 2017
Go and download Patrick Obayiagbon video clips.
start adding Greek to ur report.

try this with him for 2 to 3 weeks

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by idrisolaide(m): 4:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
wink
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
Kill him. It is either they appoint a new boss or you are made the boss.

3 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by habex005(m): 4:21pm On Jun 29, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Sirpaul(m): 4:21pm On Jun 29, 2017

8 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by celestialAgent(m): 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
glolomoh:
It is 'my former boss ' not 'my formal boss '. Former means past or previous while formal means corporate.

Obviously the boss is not to be blamed.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by enemyofprogress: 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
Your village people don finally catch you cry cry
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Jaytecq(m): 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
glolomoh:

so wats ur point ?

4 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Deicide: 4:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
glolomoh:

Nawa o

3 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by BetterHalf: 4:23pm On Jun 29, 2017
This space is not for sale except the price is right. cool
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by dazzlingd(m): 4:24pm On Jun 29, 2017
glolomoh:

chai...

End of discussion, op check yourself not your boss

5 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by AntiWailer: 4:24pm On Jun 29, 2017
remi1444:
when you are with a Jew put up the personality of a Jew.its stressful but I assure you it is for your own good.
abi
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Sadejos(m): 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
Just keep calm and obey instructions. It's for your own good
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by offishialpablo: 4:25pm On Jun 29, 2017
your boss is a legend
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by pansophist(m): 4:27pm On Jun 29, 2017
just show him what you wrote here

3 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Wealthyone: 4:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
The OP just mentioned my boss. He will still correct his own write up....lol. I and my colleagues already turned him to our proof reader.

Just keep doing your best and let him do the work for you.

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by rawpadgin(m): 4:35pm On Jun 29, 2017
n
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by OlaDapxon(m): 4:37pm On Jun 29, 2017
amliftedhigher:

I work in a federal government parastatals in the HR department. My former boss use to give me Kudos each time I present a memo to him to vet. Sometimes he will either see some corrections or he will sign immediately.

But since a new boss came na wahala oh. I will try my best with the help of Oxford dictionary newest edition to present a good memo devoid of grammatical blunder to him still either he cancels the entire write up or he writes his own. And some times when he write his own I will give it to the secretary to type and after that I will present it to him for him to sign but instead of signing it he will cancel it again his own write up oh. Some times I will spend a whole day presenting one memo.

I Am confused now that if there is a memo I will write it any how and then present it to him because no matter how I tried he will do correction.

It might not necessary mean you make mistakes, he may just prefer other words to those you used.
From this writeup, you are ok (to an extent grin ). but your boss simply love to impose on you.

manage the boss o.

3 Likes

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Ennyholar: 4:37pm On Jun 29, 2017
Loool
Had one like that also
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by WINDSOW(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2017
amliftedhigher:

Resign.
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by seniorgozman(m): 4:38pm On Jun 29, 2017
Nice one
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Rick9(m): 4:39pm On Jun 29, 2017
Nawa oh
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by room089: 4:39pm On Jun 29, 2017
Na prayer!
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
Then learn English. Simple
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by lonelydora: 4:42pm On Jun 29, 2017
I have one
Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by lonelydora: 4:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
amliftedhigher:

HR you say? Please your mail let me send my cv

1 Like

Re: How To Handle A Grammarian Boss At The Office? by Anticqz: 4:43pm On Jun 29, 2017
provide him a meme instead, _���

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fintrak Software Wants Us To Sign 4 Years Bond, What Do You Guys Think?? / Where Do You See Yourself 5 Years From Today? / How I Was Scammed By A German Company (payever)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.