Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

"I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo (24440 Views)

Victor Banjo, The Yoruba Biafran Soldier: What You Don't Know About The Lt. Col. / Olayinka Omigbodun, Victor Banjo’s Daughter: Ojukwu Betrayed My Dad, Killed Him / Victor Banjo's Children Speak 50 Years After His Demise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 6:46pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
We have had this discussion before; the accounts of Frederick Forsyth being Ojukwu's close friend and biographer can only be taken with a pinch of salt.

And the account given by Nigerians and friends of Nigeria must be taken with a pinch of sugar. grin

3 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by laudate: 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
We have had this discussion before; the accounts of Frederick Forsyth being Ojukwu's close friend and biographer can only be taken with a pinch of salt.
Very true!! cheesy Forsyth had been one of Ojukwu's friends right from college. How could he be impartial? And it was reported that he once worked for MI6. Even the reference to the Ore battle in his book, was very scanty. sad How was the battle fought? What battalions were involved? What exactly took place on the battle field? shocked So many questions begging for answers. And the documents that were said to have been used to implicate Banjo, which Forsyth claimed he sighted, could have been faked. How did Forsyth know they were genuine?

It appears that every Yoruba man who supported Biafra, had tales of woe to tell, and ended up suffering at their hands, after being used and dumped! But it seems your Yoruba people are much wiser now, and they are being very cautious about how far they go with the present day so-called Biafrans! undecided

2 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 7:43pm On Aug 05, 2017
Lol!

How exactly did Banjo support Biafra?

Banjo was saved by Biafra . The Arewa wanted his head, Ojukwu gave him a chance to redeem himself, the Afonja trait in him raised its ugly head and he messed up Biafra Lagos mission entrusted on him.

He also managed to rope in Ifeajuna and Alale, both non Yorubas, who both paid the ultimate price with him.
But ofcourse, Afonjas would rather focus on Banjo execution, his accomplices ie Ifeajuna and Alale death doesnt matter. grin

2 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by logica(m): 8:05pm On Aug 05, 2017
pazienza:

And the account given by Nigerians and friends of Nigeria must be taken with a pinch of sugar. grin
Your cup of tea; but far more neutral and credible sources have published reports on the Civil War than Frederick Forsyth. A single line from the book told the story "...like everything with Yoruba was complex".

Going further and reading, anybody with average logical ability will ask the questions: "So how did Banjo plan to assassinate Ojukwu without drawing a backlash? Where was the assassination to take place and by who? How was Ojukwu to be isolated and assassinated since he was always surrounded by a retinue of guards? How do you think a strategist like Banjo unlike Ojukwu would not see the endgame plan? Who would Banjo and Ifeajuna have presented to the Biafrans as an acceptable replacement?" These questions when asked reveal the entire story for what it is: a hoax.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
Your cup of tea; but far more neutral and credible sources have published reports on the Civil War than Frederick Forsyth. A single line from the book told the story "...like everything with Yoruba was complex".

Going further and reading, anybody with average logical ability will ask the questions: "So how did Banjo plan to assassinate Ojukwu without drawing a backlash? Where was the assassination to take place and by who? How was Ojukwu to be isolated and assassinated since he was always surrounded by a retinue of guards? How do you think a strategist like Banjo unlike Ojukwu would not see the endgame plan? Who would Banjo and Ifeajuna have presented to the Biafrans as an acceptable replacement?" These questions when asked reveal the entire story for what it is: a hoax.

How did Banjo plan to assassinate Ojukwu without drawing a backlash?
What would it matter when Ojukwu is already dead and the Nigerian troop already in Enugu?
Strike the head and the sheep scatters.
How did Nzeogwu intend to assassinate a Northern premier without drawing a backlash? grin

Where was the assassination attempt going to take place? grin
In your kitchen. See redundant question.

How was Ironsi to be isolated and killed since he was always surrounded by guards?
There is always a loophole to be exploited, Banjo must have considered that too.

Banjo was never a strategist, he was a clumsy Afonja who didn't pay attention to tiny details.

With the Nigerian troops already stationed in Enugu and the East broken into factions, it would have all ended with Ojukwu death. Without Ojukwu, the East would be too divided to carry on with the secession movement, and Gowon and co could appoint anyone to govern their new states, which was exactly what they did in 1970.

Your questions are irrelevant and irrational.

3 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by logica(m): 9:47pm On Aug 05, 2017
pazienza:

How did Nzeogwu intend to assassinate a Northern premier without drawing a backlash? grin

Where was the assassination attempt going to take place? grin
In your kitchen. See redundant question.

How was Ironsi to be isolated and killed since he was always surrounded by guards?
Nzeogwu was misguided into thinking the Northerners would see him as their own and may not have expected the end result of the coup; an obvious lopsided elimination of leaders (political and military) of the North and Southwest which turned him into a villain in the North. Assassinations are planned to detail; if Ojukwu did uncover a plot, the so called loophole would have been mentioned. What was the loophole?

Comparing the circumstances of the assassinations of the Sardauna and Ironsi is a bit obtuse; nobody no matter how foolhardy would dare attempt the assassination of Ojukwu in Biafra.

Again I state that Banjo was a strategist and it shows in his understanding of the use of dialog and alliance; far better than Ojukwu whom he gave plenty of advise but rather chose to try to out muscle a far stronger military force.

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 9:57pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
Nzeogwu was misguided into thinking the Northerners would see him as their own and may not have expected the end result of the coup; an obvious lopsided elimination of leaders (political and military) of the North and Southwest which turned him into a villain in the North. Assassinations are planned to detail; if Ojukwu did uncover a plot, the so called loophole would have been mentioned. What was the loophole?

Comparing the circumstances of the assassinations of the Sardauna and Ironsi is a bit obtuse; nobody no matter how foolhardy would dare attempt the assassination of Ojukwu in Biafra.

Well, in the same vein, Banjo was misguided into thinking that with Ifeajuna and Alale( who even had links with Ojukwu on his side) , Igbos can be kept busy or atleast divided into factions, until Biafra was over run by Nigerian troops that were already marching towards the Capital city of Enugu.

Ojukwu uncovered the plot, and as always, not every facet of the investigation was meant for public consumption. That Banjo plotted to overthrow the regime was enough information for the public.

Well, someone was foolhardy enough to dare murder Saraduna in the North, what stops the same from happening to Ojukwu in the East?

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by logica(m): 10:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
pazienza:

Well, someone was foolhardy enough to dare murder Saraduna in the North, what stops the same from happening to Ojukwu in the East?
Of course, that is the obtuse comparison again. Nzeogwu grew up in the North, spoke fluent Hausa and was even one of the Sardauna's favorites; who never considered him Igbo. He was well accepted in the North until the murders in the coup drew suspicion.

On the other hand, Banjo had no footing in Igbo land. He only appeared in the Biafran theater by a stroke of ill luck being the location he was incarcerated. Apples and oranges.

By the way, which troops was he going to use to carry out the assassination? Or was he, Alele and Ifeajuna planning to go all Rambo and take out all comers? Which Igbo boys would they use?

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 10:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
Of course, that is the obtuse comparison again. Nzeogwu grew up in the North, spoke fluent Hausa and was even one of the Sardauna's favorites; who never considered him Igbo. He was well accepted in the North until the murders in the coup drew suspicion.

On the other hand, Banjo had no footing in Igbo land. He only appeared in the Biafran theater by a stroke of ill luck being the location he was incarcerated. Apples and oranges.

By the way, which troops was he going to use to carry out the assassination? Or was he, Alele and Ifeajuna planning to go all Rambo and take out all comers? Which Igbo boys would they use?

Nzeogwu was and remain an Igbo man. Stop spewing trash.
If Saraduna and the North saw as anything but an Igboman, his coup wouldn't have been labeled Igbo coup.

Banjo had accomplices who were Igbo. Ifeajuna and Alale, he needed not be Igbo.
How they intend carrying it out is non of anyone concern, that they planned to carry it out is what matters here.
Deal with it.

2 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by laudate: 10:50pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:

logica:

Again I state that Banjo was a strategist and it shows in his understanding of the use of dialog and alliance; far better than Ojukwu whom he gave plenty of advise but rather chose to try to out muscle a far stronger military force.
logica:

I doff my hat. wink I love your questions. cheesy Anyone with a logical mind would see how difficult it would be to plot and execute a coup against Ojukwu, in the Southeast. Banjo got to Ore and knew his battalion was ill-equipped, and they would be outgunned and outmaneuvered by the federal forces on his way to Lagos. That was why he sought an easy passage into the Southwest. Ojukwu knew Banjo would go down this route. His last message to Banjo was clear. undecided

Letter from Lt. Col. Ojukwu to Lt. Col. Victor Banjo |
Republic of Biafra Enugu,
22nd August, 1967.
My dear Victor,

1. For some time now, you and I have been discussing the circumstances that have led to the current and inevitable disintegration of what was the Federation of Nigeria.....

(iv)Biafran troops will, after the liberation of the Yorubaland, remain in that territory only for as long as we in Biafra consider it necessary for the Yorubas to consolidate their position and sovereignty against any external threat.

(v)On the liberation of the Yorubaland, you will be appointed as the Military Governor of that territory.

(vi)The liberation of Western Nigeria will be a prelude to the liberation of all Yorubas up to the River Niger and the severance of all connections between the West and the North at Jebba.

(vii)During the period of Biafrans troops’ presence in your territory, all political measures, statements or decrees shall be subject to the approval, in writing by myself or on my authority.

(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.
https://oldnaija.com/2017/03/27/letter-from-lt-col-ojukwu-to-lt-col-victor-banjo-commanding-him-to-liberate-western-nigeria/

Ojukwu claimed he wanted to liberate the Southwest. sad Did the people of the Southwest tell him they were in bondage and they needed his help? shocked

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 05, 2017
pazienza:
Lol!

How exactly did Banjo support Biafra?

Banjo was saved by Biafra . The Arewa wanted his head, Ojukwu gave him a chance to redeem himself, the Afonja trait in him raised its ugly head and he messed up Biafra Lagos mission entrusted on him.

He also managed to rope in Ifeajuna and Alale, both non Yorubas, who both paid the ultimate price with him.
But ofcourse, Afonjas would rather focus on Banjo execution, his accomplices ie Ifeajuna and Alale death doesnt matter. grin
No, he wasn't saved but just a means to an end. Stop talking like they released him out of the goodness of their heart. He was released to be used and dumped. They released Banjo because they had their eyes on Lagos and thought banjo could be used as the afonja to fight his own peoole so that they could capture lagos. Bunch of thieves and scammers

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by logica(m): 11:12pm On Aug 05, 2017
laudate:
(viii) Should our troops arrive and liberate Lagos, the government of the Republic of Biafra reserves the right to appoint a Military administrator for the territory. Such an Administrator will remain in office until a merger of that territory with Yorubaland is effected by Biafran troops.
This was the most interesting part of your quote. No be today their thirst to control Lagos started.

1 Like

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by pazienza(m): 11:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
That Banjo letter was an Afonja fraud as usual, and had been trashed out on this forum many times before.

Ojukwu never wrote such letter. That letter came from the same stable of those who fabricated the story of Fajuyi dying because he was pleading for Ironsi life, the Lagos-Ibadan Afonja press to be precise.

I remember that Dede1 did a good job on that fake letter the first time Afonjas led by the likes of Dayokanu( Now raumdeuter) and Katsumoto posted that letter on this board .
https://www.nairaland.com/547151/letter-lt.col-ojukwu-lt-col.banjo/2

Pathetic bunch.

2 Likes

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by laudate: 11:28pm On Aug 05, 2017
logica:
This was the most interesting part of your quote. No be today their thirst to control Lagos started.
I am glad you saw, what I saw!! cool cheesy
Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by laudate: 11:30pm On Aug 05, 2017
ColonelDrake:
No, he wasn't saved but just a means to an end. Stop talking like they released him out of the goodness of their heart. He was released to be used and dumped. They released Banjo because they had their eyes on Lagos and thought banjo could be used as the afonja to fight his own people so that they could capture Lagos. Bunch of thieves and scammers
Gbam!! sad You hit da nail on di head! wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by laudate: 12:55am On Aug 06, 2017
America’s Secret Files On Ojukwu (2) | February 26, 2013 | PM News

Confidential US dispatches on the Nigerian Civil War yield a wounding portrait of Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, who was painted by those who knew him as a man that experienced rejection as a child, a megalomaniac, demagogue and one who once threatened to shoot his own father. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In a broadcast to the German people on BayerischerRundfunkMuchen (Bavarian Broadcasting, Munich) on 11 September 1967, Klaus W. Stephan, the West African correspondent of the service for many years, said Emeka Odumegwu Ojukwu had harboured an ambition to “alter the political constellation of power in Nigeria by means of the army one day”.

On 12 September 1967, Radio Biafra broadcast attacks on Awolowo and Anthony Enahoro for being in “the rebel government of Gowon”. The radio station referred to the recent arrest and detention of “Wole Soyinka, that patriotic Yoruba son” and the arrest and interrogation of Tai Solarin, the well-known Yoruba educator and writer. It thought it “significant” that these “Yoruba freedom fighters” should be threatened by a government of which “Chief Awolowo himself a Yoruba is a deputy head.”

Radio Biafra reminded its listeners that “Awolowo and Enahoro have not only succumbed to northern pressure, but have also teamed up with Gowon to suppress Solarin and Soyinka, whose ebullient enthusiasm for Yoruba freedom is threat to their security, but they have substituted private interest for commonwealth.” The radio station, confirming the findings of the US intelligence estimate, then recommended that “all Yorubas should waste no time in responding to call by one of their own sons, Brigadier Victor Banjo, commander of liberation forces. It is such young men as Brigadier Banjo, Wole Soyinka and Tai Solarin that will provide effective but selfless leadership that Yorubas badly need at this moment”.

On Biafrans sounding more Yoruba than the Yoruba themselves, the American ambassador noted in a confidential document of 15 September 1967: “In fact, the Eastern effort to tell Yorubas who their leader should be, as well as not to follow Awolowo, could cause opposite reaction among majority of people in Yorubaland.” It did.

With troops blazing with Biafran agenda already at West’s door at Ore, it became clearer to Awolowo that Ojukwu was not interested in secession, but actually in conquest. Awolowo proceeded to rally the Yoruba, who had hitherto been lukewarm to Gowon’s government with a powerful “I am absolutely and irrevocably committed to the side of Nigeria” press release on 12 August 1967.

It was Awolowo’s first statement defending the Federal Government since the Civil War began on 6 July. Unlike many of Awolowo’s speeches and public statements, this one derived its forceful elocution from the use of adverbs and intensifiers. There were no “could,” “might” and other hedge-betting modal verbs. It was all “must,” “will” and other commanding auxiliary verbs.

“It is imperative that the unity of Nigeria must be preserved and the best judge of what to do now is the Federal government, which Yorubas must continue to support. The Yorubas have never set out to dominate others, but have always resisted, with all the energy in them, any attempt, however slight or disguised, by others to dominate them.…"

"Indeed it is for these reasons that they must now be ready to resist any attempt by the rebel forces from the East and the Mid-West to violate their territory and subjugate them.…
To these ends, therefore, all Yoruba people, particularly those in the Western and Lagos states, which now face the threats of invasion, must not only be as vigilant as ever, but must also lose no time and spare no efforts in giving every conceivable support to the Federal troops in defence of their homeland and of the fatherland,” Awolowo said.

He was not only rallying the Yoruba people, he was sending a powerful message to the Biafran High Command in Enugu. Victor Banjo, on 11 August, had sent a secret note to Governor Adebayo, the man who, according to the Biafran High Command, was slated for assassination by Banjo’s gun. In the letter, amongst other things, Banjo asked for “clarification of the Western position.” Adebayo promptly passed the letter to Awolowo in Lagos.....

On 7 August 1967, the American consul in Ibadan, Strong, wrote: “An old line of supporters, including more mature intellectuals like Professor Hezekiah Oluwasanmi (Ife University Vice Chancellor) and S.O. Ighodaro (lecturer at the University of Lagos) support the statement. They said Awolowo has always been a minorities man and the Eastern takeover of Midwest and continued occupation of Eastern minority areas is an indication of continued Ibo desire to dominate southern Nigeria.”

On the night of 11 August, Mr Smallwood, British Deputy High Commissioner, came to inform his American counterpart that “decision has been taken by a group of AG activists to support efforts to stage a Midwest type coup here in the West. Timing uncertain but could happen anytime from 12th. Planners supposedly do not include top members of AG hierarchy, but certain young activists who hope present AG leaders with fait accompli consistent with their own sympathies.”

Strong was skeptical of the success of the coup, not because of Awolowo’s rallying call, but as he wrote: “In the West, several ingredients for successful coup are lacking. There is, for example, no real counterpart of Ibo officers here.”

And that was the coup for which Victor Banjo, confident of its success, received Ojukwu’s bullets with his head raised high and his chest pumped out at the firing squad in Enugu.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/02/26/americas-secret-files-on-ojukwu-2/
Re: "I'm Not Dead Yet!": The Story Of Victor Banjo by Coolgent(m): 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2017
Mrchippychappy:
Banjo was a traitor, I have read the full transcript, shame about it but Ojukwu did what had to be done by executing him. Traitors are dangerous
Thank God oJukwu is currently rotin in hell grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bianca’s Siblings Attack Ojukwu’s Sons Over Senatorial Ambition / Grazing Law: Emir Sanusi, Miyetti Allah Boss Thumb Up Fayose / Remmy Hazzan: Sunday Igboho Is Welcome In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.